Dean Russo: A Retrospective

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Dec 2018

Great book! Great artist! I would give this book as a gift. Lovely artwork, and who doesn't like dogs?
Being a dog owner, Dean Russo’s book was always going to draw my attention.  He creates fabulous portraits of both animals and people, filled with vibrant colour and character - my favourites are the ones of pit bulls. It feels quite poignant to be reading this book about a widely feared and misunderstood breed of animal right now.  We are moving from the UK to Ontario this year and our loyal Staffordshire Bull Terrier will not be able to come with us due to the legislation regarding dangerous animals.  Several of the pictures certainly brought a lump to my throat.

There is very little in terms of writing, with a brief section on background information, however with 200 photos to see that isn’t a problem.  The pictures certainly speak for themselves. The works are grouped according to subject and it’s possible to see the changes in style and in materials.

Quite simply it is a fabulous book and, for me, definitely a ‘keeper’.
A vibrant collection of bright, happy art sure to please any pop art lover! Seeing Russo's early work is interesting; his later use of color and pattern is there to a lesser but recognizable degree. A lovely book to spend an afternoon with.
Dean Russo: A Retrospective by Dean Russo is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. I have always enjoyed the bright and colorful paintings printed on posters and t-shirts I have seen in the past. Russo is an animal loved and supports wildlife conservation and humane society for less wild life, lol! This makes him a hero to me. His fun paintings reminds me happy times in my youth! Tie-dyed and water colored looks, bright, neon, and full of animals, and more! These paintings make me smile no matter what mood I am in. This is a great history and collection of his works. I enjoyed this book!
The author displayed many pieces of enthralling hand-drawn art created from various types of media. Portraits as I've never seen before of animals and celebrities enlightened me as a new innovative type of artistry. My senses ran wild with the use of vibrant colors that seemed to jump off the screen of my tablet. Truly, a talented artist, Dean Russo is a force to be reckoned with.

I send my gratitude to NetGalley and Fox Chapel Publishing for this ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.
I love Dean Russo's work. This is a nice collection of work that he has done. This would make a nice gift book. If you like Russo's work or if you like art, you'll enjoy this book full of brightly colored artwork.
This is an excellent look at the very special work Dean Russo has already brought to our rather dreary world.  I feel my heart lift when I spy his colorful take on dogs - especially pits - and cats and Albert Einstein.  To read that he is has a wildlife series in the works to help animals facing extinction just makes me cry and those featured in this book are an excellent promo for the next book.  I will want several.

I received a free electronic copy of this excellent collection of the works of Dean Russo from Netgalley, Dean Russo, and Fox Chapel Publishing in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you all for sharing your hard work with me.
From the publisher ---
The Beauty of the Beast Featuring 200 superb images, this book is the first retrospective of the work of Dean Russo, a Brooklyn-based artist known for his soulful animal portraits. Inspired by his love of dogs and the urban landscape in which he was born, Russo uses vibrant pop art colours and bold abstract patterns to give voice to his favourite subject. In addition to his rich use of mixed media and signature graphic style, Russo possesses an uncanny ability to look into the eyes of a cat or dog and capture their expressiveness on canvas.
Organized in chronological order, “Dean Russo: A Retrospective” spans his entire career to date, from early days drawing cartoon characters to his iconic celebrity portraits, animal welfare activism, and his new series portraying wildlife on the verge of extinction. Including an introduction by Russo and commentary on his style developments over the years, this book provides an inspiring look at an often-misunderstood artist. Inside Dean Russo: A Retrospective Graphic overview of the entire career of this inspired and idiosyncratic pop artist. 200 vibrant images from expressive animal portraits to iconic music legends. Mixed media artworks that include everything from pastels, oils, pencils, wax, and charcoal to sharpies, spray cans and liquid acrylics. The story of Russo’s stirring dedication to animal rescue awareness.

I have always loved Dean Russo’s work as I love and adore animals and his dedication to animal welfare. His works are sunny and bright and a colour explosion and any pet lover would love this book and want to rip out and frame the paintings. (I know I do).  Looking for a perfect gift for a dog or cat lover? This is it…I have already ordered four copies for Christmas gifts!
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this copy in exchange for an unbiased review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
The book is a collection of 200 images created by Brooklyn-based Pop artist Dean Russo.
In Dean Russo’s work, organic and geometric shapes seem to dance freely on a background of vibrant block colors, flat imagery, and bold  lines.
Nonetheless, behind shapes, colors, and lines there are emotions, feelings, and the soul and heart of the subjects of the portrait.
Dean Russo’s art is a marvelous example of how bi-dimensional, abstract, and somehow boring and arid elements of art , if combined in the right way, can create vibrant and emotional art.
The images in the book are a delight for the eyes and for the soul.
At the beginning of the book, there is a brief introduction that explains the artist and his art. All the other pages are dedicated to images; there is no text to accompany each image.
Even if  most of the images in the book can be found online for free at Dean Russo’s website, I had fun looking at the images.
Nonetheless, I wished the book had more text—quotes from the artist, a brief description of how the paintings were made, or an amusing, interesting anecdote about the painting or about the artist.
And, the art teacher in me wished to have more images (maybe in black and white) showing the artist at work and the steps to take to create his artwork.
The bravura, heart, and soul of Dean Russo are shining through the 200 images in the book. The book asks the readers to look at the images and to experience them as pure emotions; as a bombardment of lines, colors, and shapes.
Nonetheless, I would have loved to experience his art beyond the pure surface of colors and shapes. I would have loved to connect more with the artist and his art.
YES, the images tell a beautiful story.
BUT, without words, the story remains an ethereal and immediate emotion that ends when the book ends.
Attractive in its arrangement, this book displays vivid images and enjoyable text.  An artistic and professional text.
I’ve been a fan of Dean Russo’s works for quite some time. So when I found out that they were making a book showing off his works…well I knew I wouldn’t be able to resist taking a look if nothing else! Dean Russo’s style has always been so bright and unique; it’s so eye-catching and memorable.
	I should warn you, if you’re anything like me you’re going to walk away from this book wanting to go out and buy a couple of his prints. Considering how many pieces he’s made over the years, there would certainly be a lot to choose from.
	The book contains so many pieces of artwork; it would probably have been overwhelming had they not been so neatly organized. Everything is sorted into four neat categories (not counting the introduction, of course): early works, dogs & cats, icons & celebrities, and finally safari & sea animals.
	I’m really happy that the early works category was included. Not only was it nice to see these works (you can really see how his style advanced and changed thanks to these) but it really helped having them all grouped together as they were.
	The cats & dogs category was obviously my favorite, though I greatly enjoyed the other prints as well. I think I’ve seen more of the cats and dog images than any of the others – I recognized many of them.
	I really enjoyed being able to see Dean Russo’s collection all in one place like this. I honestly hadn’t realized how prolific of an artist he was until this point, so that was an eye opener for me. I strongly suggest any fans of his to go out and pick up a copy of his book when they have a chance.
I run hot and cold on pop art, but the material here was pretty consistently fun to look at. You may not find overwhelming variety in Dean Russo's body of work, but you will find sweetness and optimism and cats and dogs and guitars. If big-hearted, colorful pictures of animals and objects make you smile, you'll like it.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this copy in exchange for an unbiased review.
This was amazing to review, this book has 232 pages almost all of the pages show his artwork . I love how his passion to help animal shows in his artwork. I hope you enjoy this book  as much as I have.
Dean Russos work is amazing, A Retrospective is a fabulous collection of his work.
The artwork shown is bright, colourful and moving. the cats and dogs are brilliant, and capture the spirit of each breed. Many of the works have a deep massage attached.
One thing the animals and people all have in common are the eyes, Dean Russo has an amazing gift, bringing each work of art to life.
This is an essential book for artists and animal lovers, certainly one i will be buying.

I remember having a poster of Jimmy Hendrix as a teenager and Dean Russo’s work has always reminded me of that poster, so I loved this book. Starting with his earlier works from 2006 onwards it’s interesting to see how his ideas evolved. I now would love for my old dog Beth an English Springer Spanial to be captured in all her youth fully energy and sparkle in a Russo picture. Sadly after 16 years she is sadly with me no more. you can see the personality of the animals in Russo’s portraits beautifully captured. Many thanks.
This book is absolutely wonderful, just full of beautiful colour reproductions of Dean Russo's work. These amazing images spans the career of a very clever artist.
I really cannot praise the book enough, I really admire his work, and this book shows the wonderful colour, technique and subject matter.
Anyone that is into any form of imagery should buy this book.
I didn't recognize Dean Russo by name, but I did recognize his artwork. His pieces shown here are predominantly animals (not a bad thing in my book). His paintings have realistic elements (he starts with the eyes and they are amazing!) but with the addition of a lot of unexpected color. Text is minimal, allowing the work to speak for itself. While I wouldn't say this is my favorite style of art, there's just something about Russo's work that makes me smile. Added bonus that he is also involved in animal rescue and conservation.

Thank you to Netgalley and Fox Chapel Publishing/CompanionHouse Books for the opportunity to review this beautiful book. All comments are my own, unbiased opinion.
Dean Russo is a pop artists best known for his dog and cats mixed media paintings. You have probably seen them on T-shirts or in a catalogue. Brilliant colors of adorable animals. This book is a collection of some of his paintings. Very nicely done.
Dean Russo: A Retrospective is a beautiful collection of many of his pieces, a lot of them likely familiar to any animal lover. The book is 10"x12" so would make a lovely coffee table book.

It is more than just simplistic to claim that because he uses a wide range of colors that the pictures are repetitive. The color choices as well as how they are used varies with the picture. For example, if a dog has a relatively solemn expression the colors, while brighter than what might be called realistic, will be somewhat subdued. Yet the image of a dog with a big grin will be brighter and likely have some color around its head, giving the appearance of a happy aura around him. So no, these are not repetitious unless you also think someone who painted portraits and thus used the same basic color palette for every painting, is also repetitious.

One thing that is accomplished by using a broad spectrum of colors that don't represent the actual appearance of the animals is that the eyes are particularly expressive and emphasized, if for no other reason than that they are generally rendered in a realistic manner. Many of the animal prints are really quite moving and it is due in large part to the way the eyes convey the animal's character.

This art won't appeal to everyone, but no art appeals to everyone. If you are one of those who like the style and/or are willing to look at each one as you would any work of art, as compared to skimming the images, you will see that each print is distinct and most assuredly unique. Yes, Russo has a distinctive style, but that is different from saying it is repetitive. Yes, the "repetitive" comment irked me, ignorance is such an annoying thing when it is displayed in negativity about something one knows little if anything about.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley.
Chances are good if you're an American animal lover, you've seen Dean Russo's art featuring cats and dogs on t-shirts and bags at every animal lover store (I happened to be at a fair the day before I read this, and there were literally at least six booths carrying t-shirts).  His iconic combination of urban graffiti art and a love of animals is displayed in this retrospective, letting fans see how his work changed over a period of time.  Also, I didn't know he did animals other than cats and dogs until reading this.