Cover Image: Manga Classics: Macbeth

Manga Classics: Macbeth

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for proving me an eCopy of this astounding manga in exchange for an honest review.

It's no secret that Macbeth has always been my favorite Shakespeare play, so when I saw this manga adaptation on Netgalley, I pressed that "request" button hard and fast.

As a dedicated fan of both manga and Shakespearean plays, I just had to read it. The combination of manga and Shakespeare surprisingly (for some), works great.

This manga adaptation is faithful to the cursed "Scottish play" and I especially appreciate the fact that the original dialogue was kept. So yes, you'll still find Shakespeare's early modern English in there.

Nevertheless, I found that the art style was "too cute" and not dark enough to sedate my Macbeth needs.

I strongly recommend this for manga fans or anyone else who is open to exploring manga.

**Disclaimer: I received a free copy of Manga Classics: Macbeth by Stacy King through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for this opportunity.

Manga Classics: Macbeth by Stacy King is a graphic novel adaptation of the classic play Macbeth by William Shakespeare.  It tells the story of the infamous Macbeth who is prophesied to become king and ends up taking things way too far.  It was published on September 1st, 2018.  I rated it 5 stars on Goodreads.

Macbeth is one of my favourite Shakespearean plays.  I love the tragedy of it and the dynamics between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth.  It's just a really gripping story and I love the mythos of it.  It also has a special place in my heart because it was one of the first Shakespearean plays that I taught to students on my practicum.

This was a really excellent adaptation.  I loved how the story was illustrated the events of the play and how well depicted the story was.  It was very clear who the varying characters were, and that really helped as you were reading through the story.  It was really cool to see it done as a graphic novel/manga.

The story was fully there, and I really enjoyed how fast paced it was.   I really wanted to read it in one sitting and ended up staying up late to do so.  The illustrations help the reader understand what's happening/being said, and I can't recommend it enough.

If you're at all interested, I highly suggest that you check it out!

All throughout my teenage years my mother made me read all the classics, so much so that I began to dread the name Shakespeare. So when I heard about a manga, a type of genre I actually enjoy, I was very very skeptical so much so that I expected something I would totally hate. However the more I read the more I found myself actually enjoying the story once again. Although the story is a summarized version of the original, the drawings which portrayed the characters emotions made it all worthwhile to read. I’ll be completely honest this is not a manga that I would see myself buying; it is worth the read however.

As a big fan of Shakespeare's work, I was very excited to see this title available to request on netgalley. It's a unique way of telling the play Macbeth whilst the manga art draws attention to the reader's eye. I was very excited to read this, and I wasn't let down at all. If you're also a fan of Shakespeare, then I recommend it, but if you're not, you should give it a go! It's different to reading straight off a playscript and is also arguably a lot more interesting.

Macbeth, by william shakespeare one of my favorite works. This is a very refreshing alternative to such a good story. It was a nice way to re-read it. Its nice for whoever doesnt like reading theater.
Thanks net galley and Udon Entertainment for allowing me this expirience
4,5/5
Maria Lourdes

This may be my favorite Manga Classics yet. This version of the Scottish play was propulsive, action packed, kept most of the original dialog, and used manga art tropes to good effect. The art at times was a bit too literal with Shakespeare's language, but on the whole a fun read and a good adaptation.

Always loved any work based on Shakespeare and this was no surprise. The artwork is a fun one and I really enjoyed how everything was laid out in this book. Thank you to netgalley for providing me with this book.

I never realized how much work and effort went into converting a book into a manga. The details and the use of imagery to explain the metaphors used that otherwise went over our heads. This adaptation is perfect for lovers of Shakespeare and non-lovers alike.

First thing I fell in love with were the graphics. They compel you to pick up the book and look at it more closely. Its as you read the book that you fall in love with the characters and become invested in what happens next.

This was a perfectly stunning way to bring Macbeth to life! The illustrations were wonderful and I appreciated the English wasn’t modernized. It gave a classic feel to this graphic novel. Loved it!

Manga Classics: Macbeth

Full feature for this title will be posted at: @cattleboobooks on Instagram!

The art was stunning and the way the artist incorporated the story was absolutely freaking amazing. I definitely recommend and will also be purchasing.

Fascinating way to present a classic story. Loved the images. Very approachable for readers hesitant to tackle Shakespeare.

I absoluely love this story , the manga adaptation was just amazing and super entertaining . The book was very fast paced and the execution of Shakespear's story was perfect . Overall a fun , light ,great read indeed!!

I was one of the few kids in school who actually enjoyed reading 'Macbeth', so getting to see a graphic novel version of it was fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed this classic brought to life through art and look forward to reading more like this.

Great for getting into Shakespeare's work for the first time or revisiting it in a new, different way.
Art was amazing. Illustrations set the tone of the story, represented it really well and helped me to better understand the story (it was my first time reading Shakespeare in English). The writing was of course hard to understand - it is an original Shakespeare's text nonetheless, only with added manga style illustrations - and therefore the story was quite hard to follow.
In my opinion it would be better to rewrite the story into modern English instead of keeping an original text. It would work better with the art style and make the story more approachable.

I really loved this rendition of a classic work! The art style was beautiful and I quite enjoyed reading the story of Macbeth in manga format.

Special thanks to NetGalley for providing a digital copy in exchange for an honest review

Listen. I've never read Macbeth before. I never even cared to. But Hamilton makes reference to it and I was always too lazy to google what it meant. So when I found this on NetGalley I got really excited. I knew nothing about Macbeth except that there were 3 witches you're not supposed to say it in the theater.

I thought Macbeth was the good guy lmaoooo. So yeah. I was wrong on that front. I was unprepared for him to be killing off characters willy nilly all over the place. And then I was somehow surprised that he died in the end lmaooooo. When I say I knew nothing about Macbeth, I really freaking meant it.

I'm glad I was able to read this because I never would have read the play otherwise, and honestly that would be the real tragedy in all of this

This review has been posted to Goodreads

I love the Manga classics, I have always been someone who loves to read dialogue over descriptions, so I'm reluctant to read classics. These Manga classics have let me enjoy classics

I received a free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review; thanks go to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity.

This manga adaptation of classic literature did an excellent job in bringing a sense of vitality and action to Shakespeare’s grim Macbeth.

In particular the actions and illusion the characters inner thoughts were well done. I personally would have preferred updated language to go with this more modern visual translation but it is still quite powerful to read through all of the original play.

From a technical perspective it was challenging to access the PDF file on my mobile but I eventually was able to triumph.

I would definitely recommend this as and engaging and entertaining adaptation of the work.

I have a really hard time with classics (especially Shakespeare mostly because of 400 year-old English that's hard to understand in the 21st century) but reading it accompanied by images helped me better understand what was going on. I had to read Macbeth in grade 11 and missed a lot of the story because of the language used but I definitely grasped more of it this time around.