Saving Annie

by Steve Jackson and Tom McCallum
WildBlue Press
2018
4.0 / 5.0

Book One-The Fall is the first of this four book series. It sets up the crime and crime scene and reveals the history and pasts of Steve Nichols and Rhonda Castro and follows the investigation to an arrest.
It begins with the suspicious 9-1-1 call from Nichols reporting the "accidental slip and fall" of his girlfriend, Castro, from a 300 foot cliff in rural Oregon while hiking. His explanation of how the fall occurred and his actions immediately after the fall, as told by Nichols, does not follow this evidence.
No one believes him. There is the question of the 1.4 million dollar life insurance policy bought just before her death as well.
Thorough and detailed, this riveting case will capture your interest. Be careful who you fall in love with.
Thanks to WildBlue Press for this e-book for review.
#NetGalley     #SavingAnnie
This is a story that asks the question what really happened to Rhonda? Who was to be believed in this story and what will happy when everything is unveiled? How will the little girls life be formed and who will be a part of it? Thank you NetGalley for allowing me to write about this book.
Saving Annie
Book One--The Fall
by Steve Jackson
WildBlue Press
Mystery & Thrillers ,  True Crime
Pub Date 13 Sep 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Savin Annie: Book One: The Fall through The WildBlue Press and Netgalley:

In March of 2009, a pretty vivacious Rhonda Castro plunges to her death from a 300 foot cliff in the Oregon Woods.  The only witness, Stephen Nichols the father of her nine month old daughter.  Annie, told police investigators she slipped and fell.

Nichols story did not match up the facts of the case though.  And some of his actions called suspicion to fall on him, which included trying to collect on a million dollar life insurance on his unemployed twenty three year old girlfriend just four months earlier.  What began as a 911 call to report an accident turned into a murder investigation.

In order to prevent Nicholas from gaining custody of Annie to the man she believed killed her daughter Rhonda hires a lawyer.

I give Saving Annlie five out of five star!

Happy Reading!
Thank you NetGalley and Wild Blue Press for giving me the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.
I was a tad disappointed that this story is setup as a four book series. I have the second one now I have to find the other two. This is a weird way to get a story out yet it shows that it is a long story to be told.
A young woman is pushed off a cliff while walking with her fiance. However, before she left she had previously made a comment to her family that if she didn't return then her fiance had killed her. He had taken a huge life insurance policy out on her that was just approved.
Now that she is gone both him and her mother are fighting for the couple's infant daughter. Possibly for the insurance money. Each one has selfish reasons. Each one is far from innocent. Every time they are interviewed their stories change. What we do know is that neither one of them should get the baby Annie.
This book was intense! the style of writing made me feel like I was walking side by side with the investigator. I can't wait to read what happens next!
I was really hooked up with the story as a lover of true crime. I loved this book. Steve had me thinking that I actually was there at the scene of the crime. I cannot wait to read more.
This is base on real events!!! Rhonda Casto plunged to her death from a 300-foot cliff in the Oregon woods. The only witness, Stephen Nichols, the father of her nine-month-old baby, Annie, told police investigators she slipped and fell. Yet, Nichols’ story didn’t quite mesh with the facts.
Stephen Nichols can't wait to collect in the million dollar life insurance policy. His girlfriend has not even been laid to rest and he's chomping on the bit. However,  rescuers that retrieved her body from the bottom of the cliff where she had fallen and died, know it wasn't an accident. Stephen's story doesn't match up with the forensics of the crime scene. The investigators are hot on his tail. And he is going down. After all a child's well being is on the line. A murderer can't be trusted with the life of a child.
Well written. Detailed and documented.  Excellent read.
As a lover of true crime. I loved this book. Steve had me thinking that I actually was there at the scene of the crime. I cannot wait to read more of the installments.
Very good true crime entry. This book is written in such a way , you feel like you are there. Great book about the death of Rhonda Casto. I; had heard about this but reading the book was a welcome insight into various aspects of this case. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book. Although I received the book in this manner, it did not affect my opinion of this book nor my review.
My favorite genre is True Crime. This book did not disappoint. It tells of boyfriend Stephen Nichols and his girlfriend Rhonda Castro who go out for a hike on an Oregon Trail. Then comes a 911 call from Nichols saying his girlfriend fell off a cliff and despite his efforts to save her. She appears to have died. From the beginning, Nichols story changes and the police are suspicious, but there is no real evidence to hold Nichols. Later it is discovered that he had a million dollar life insurance policy on Rhonda, which he is trying to claim. He is also looking after their 9-month old baby Annie.
Rhonda's parents want the police to follow up with the case which has gone cold and also want to save their granddaughter Annie.
This is the first part of this intriguing story and I can't wait to read the next book. Thank you to the publisher for allowing me an ARC for my honest review.
This is Part 1 of a four-installment true crime entry. The introduction to the crime introduces the reader to Stephen Nichols, who reports the death of his girlfriend Rhonda Casto to 911. Nichols claims she slipped and fell to her death from a steep cliff on the Columbia River Gorge during a hike. Carefully researched and laid out for the reader, this series should draw many e-book readers especially.
Saving Annie by Steve Jackson is a true story that interested me when I had heard about it originally and seeing that this was that story I just had to read this! I am disappointed I have to wait to read all of the installments when now after reading the 1st installment I just want to know No! Need to know the rest of the investigation! I will be waiting to read the rest of the installments as they come out one by one, sigh. .....
Thank you Netgalley and Wildblue Press fir letting me read this ARC book and giving my honest opinion.
I recall reading and hearing about this case concerning Rhonda Casto and Stephen Nichols and it grabbed my interest at that time, so reading Steve Jackson's first part account, Saving Annie, was high on my book wish list. Fortunately, NetGalley provided me with a complimentary copy for an honest review, and I never gave it a second thought, whether to read or not read because I couldn't wait to delve into the details of this story.

Honestly, Steve Jackson is a great true crime author, I've read all of his books and wasn't disappointed in this one either ... except for the fact that the book has been broken down into four parts; or four separate books. I'm a bit conflicted on this kind of publishing process when it comes to true crime. I realize there are many fiction novelists publishing soap opera type installment books, which I personally find aggravating. So, when I see novels like these, I avoid them ... at least until the author has completed the series and offers it in one package.

Will I read Steve Jackson's upcoming installments individually, which means waiting through October, November and December? Or will I wait until I can read it in its entirety at one time? Probably the latter, otherwise by the time the second, third & fourth books come out, I'll want to re-read each one again to refresh my memory (unless he provides an update in each installment).

This process apparently allows the publishers to guide the reader towards other new books via teaser chapters. I think there were four, maybe five additional "teaser" books at the end of Saving Annie.

If you don't mind waiting for the rest of the story, I definitely recommend this book to readers of non-fiction, true crime stories. Especially given that Steve Jackson rarely disappoints.

Addendum: After posting this review today asking rhetorical questions, I have to admit as soon as I hit send (okay maybe an hour after) I found myself pre-ordering the second installment of Saving Annie. The story really stuck with me.
Saving Annie by authors Steve Jackson with Tom McCallum is written in several parts about the true accounting of the death of Rhonda Casto from a fall while hiking in Oregon with her boyfriend Stephen Nichols. This is a heartbreaking tragedy and even if Stephen Nichols did not mean to push Rhonda over the cliff, his actions of seduction and statutory rape of Rhonda's sister makes me detest him. According to the author's information about Nichols, he obviously had criminal motives. Also, the insurance agent was negligent and made some major mistakes when pushing for approval of the 1.4 million dollar policy on Rhonda's life!
This first installment is about the fall and immediate interviews by police. This part is short and some of the information is repeated. It is written well and had me so interested in the story, until after I read Part One: The Fall I looked up all the information I could find online about this case. That is the reason I would caution the authors about dividing a true crime story into separate books. Once I followed all of the links and 48-hour news accounts, I didn't feel the need to read the following books by this author.  I'm sorry, but that is an honest observation. If possible, consider publishing as a complete book in order to preserve your writing and following.
The book cover is beautiful!
3 and 1 / 2 stars

This book is based on a true story – true crime. It is also Book One of a four part series. I wish I had read the blurb on NetGalley more closely for I do not care for “part-ers.”

In 2009 a young woman named Rhonda Casto fell to her death from a cliff in the Oregon wilderness. She had a nine-month old daughter named Annie. Her partner, Stephen Nichols said that she slipped and fell.

The police don’t believe Stephen’s story and neither does Rhonda’s family. There were other suspicious facts surrounding the case as well, like trying to collect on a million dollar insurance payout just days after Rhonda’s death. The police were treating the death as a homicide.

Enter not only the police, but a private investigator for an attorney who was looking into the situation for Rhonda’s mother. Tempers flare as the police and the private investigator dig further into the case.

Book One is laying out the crime and introducing all of the main characters. Rhonda’s mother doesn’t want Stephen to get the insurance money and they definitely don’t want him to have custody of Annie. He has a murky history complete with violence and other assorted crimes to his name.

This is a very well researched and written book. I felt bad for Annie being stuck in the middle of the whole mess. I would like to see this series of books made into a mini-series for television. I’m sure it’d be great.

I want to thank NetGalley and WildBlue Press for forwarding to me a copy of this interesting and thought-provoking book for me to read, ponder and review.
This was very intriguing, so wish I could have read the rest of the installments. I didn't realize that this was only the beginning of the investigation.
4 stars

“In March 2009, pretty, vivacious Rhonda Casto plunged to her death from a 300-foot cliff in the Oregon woods. The only witness, Stephen Nichols, the father of her nine-month-old baby, Annie, told police investigators she slipped and fell. Yet, Nichols’ story didn’t quite mesh with the facts.“

Saving Annie is written into “small episode-like books” which is a different concept for me and I am not sure I like it. The authors have done a phenomenal job of writing the first section. They have peaked my interest, made me care for the victim and her family and dislike the murderer.

I am giving this book 4 stars for the writing but 0 stars for the mini-book concept. This is a very short book. Saving Annie Book One left me wondering what happened next and desperately wishing the rest of the book was already written. I am not sure I will finish the rest of this mini-book series unless I wait until the whole series is published. If you do not mind the format, you will most assuredly like this book. However, if the format is an issue for you, you would be better skipping it.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and NetGalley. The views given are my own.
#NetGalley #SavingAnnie #WildBluePress
I read an ARC (thanks Netgalley!) of Saving Annie: The Fall and I can't wait for the rest of the books to come out! The way it's written with all the details and police reports is fascinating and I'm now a definite fan of these authors although I have never read anything by them before. I'll be looking to see what else they've written.

I followed this case when it was first in the news, so seeing this book was great. I always wanted to know more about the case. If you enjoy true crime, this is definitely the book for you.

Police didn't quite believe his story ... and neither did her family. Where the investigation goes and what the investigators discover puts a whole new light on what really happened.

Saving Annie is being published as a series of 4 books broken into distinct parts of the investigation.

Book One--The Fall covers the death of Rhonda Casto and the initial investigation up through an arrest.

Book Two--The Investigator will be released in October 2018.

Book Three--The Journalist and the PI will be released in November 2018.

Book Four--Case Closed will be published in December 2018.

Many thanks to the author / Wildblue Press / Netgalley for the digital copy of this true crime.  Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.