Run Away

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Jun 2019

Perception is often more important than reality.

What lengths would you go to protect your child? Your daughter that would follow you anywhere. Simon would do anything for his daughter Paige. He just can't fix her drug problem. It has been months since his family has seen her. Coming from a loving family, what happened for her to turn to drugs and an abusive boyfriend? When Simon sees her at Central Park, he approaches her and when her boyfriend comes in between them, all hell breaks loose. A father trying to protect his daughter but it goes viral and the only thing that is seen is a mad man punching a homeless man.
His daughter and her boyfriend disappear again until the boyfriend is discovered dead. With the viral, Simon becomes the likely suspect but where his daughter.

The search becomes a team effort with his wife as they approach the drug den that Paige was last seen. With any confrontation, there are risks and the risk becomes a reality as now Simon alone must find answers to the why of Paige's addiction and the murder of her boyfriend.

Simon meets up with an investigator looking for a missing man that comes to Simon looking for answers. With the two of them they find answers but the answers lead to more questions. Finding Paige now becomes a life and death matter. Will Simon be to late?

A thriller of a family scope that is driven by a father's love and finding redemption for his daughter.

A Special Thank you to Central Grand Publishing and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
You have a drug addict for a daughter. She runs off with the guy you blame for her addiction. Everywhere you go, you look for her. You need to make sure she’s alive. You want to rescue her. And then one day you see her on the street, and you chase after her.

Any parent would do that, right? You can understand why Simon does what he does, and you can understand his burning drive to keep looking for his daughter, to do what he can do to bring her home, even if it risks his life and the wellbeing of his family. Even when his behavior feels far-fetched, you’re all in with Simon. You get it. You get him.

A private investigator sent to look into an apparently unrelated missing person also captivates you. Elena battles grief borne of a recent loss, yet she digs in to find this missing boy. Some of my favorite scenes are when she interacts with Simon as they try to figure out what his daughter and her client’s son might have had in common.

There is a third narrator, but I couldn’t get into his sections. The temptation to fast-forward through his chapters was MIGHTY, and sometimes it felt as if I was forcing myself to slow down and read his. He, too, is connected to Simon’s daughter and Elena’s missing person, and since this is a Harlan Coben story, you can be sure that these connections are unexpected.

I loved so much about this book. I loved the way Coben made me feel every bit of Simon’s desperation and Elena’s sadness. I loved that I could not engage in conversations with friends and family until I finished the book because I had to know what happened, even as I started to suspect a thing or two.

I did not love the ending, though. It felt a little too convenient, a little too pat, a little too forced. I’m a homer for Harlan Coben, though, so I’ll give him a pass. Here’s hoping his next book feels more org
What a story, you feel at times that you are right with the characters. If you are a parent you can put yourself in the shows of either Simon or Ingrid. The moment Simon sees his daughter in central park and tries to talk to her everything begins to change. The author includes today’s social media and how it is not for always good in how it is depicted. You at times want to be for the parent Simon but then I feel why did he take his wife to an area where they did not belong and were so out of place? This of course only adds to the story. The author does a wonderful job of drawing you the reader into each character and the overall story that once you begin you won’t want to stop. A very good book.
Another wonderful read from Coben with a common fear to many families. A child who goes away to school and becomes involved in drugs and then is lost to them and to her life as she knew it. My favorite aspect of this was the different ways the two parents responded to this situation, it offered some reality to the severity of the impact of the impact of this sort of an event on a family's dynamics. This is an intense read and enjoyable to Corben fans.

#RunAway #NetGalley
Manhattanites Simon Greene - a financial advisor, and his wife Ingrid - a pediatrician have three children and an upscale lifestyle. But the drug scourge touches people of all socioeconomic levels, and their daughter Paige was a college freshman when she ran away, took to the streets, and became a full blown drug addict.

Simon and Ingrid are desperate to get Paige into rehab, but the girl is elusive and hard to find. Then Simon gets a tip about Paige busking in Central Park and - when he goes over - finds his precious daughter - skinny, dirty, and disheveled - performing for spare coins.

Simon tries to grab Paige but gets into a scuffle with her druggie boyfriend Aaron. The crowd - who thinks Simon is trying to abduct the girl - descend on the financial advisor and the two addicts get away. The video of the incident, which blows up on the internet, makes Simon look like a vicious bully.

When junkie Aaron is murdered in a Bronx drug den, Homicide Detective Isaac Fagbenle shows up on Simon's doorstep asking questions. Fagbenle - who's hot on the trail of Aaron's killer - considers Simon and Paige prime suspects. Simon, determined to save his daughter from a homicide arrest and her druggie lifestyle, sets out to find Paige once again. Despite Simon's protestations, his wife Ingrid tags along.

Simon and Ingrid go to the Bronx, find Paige and Aaron's bare bones apartment, and meet the addicts' landlord Cornelius - who's sympathetic but doesn't know where Paige is. The distraught parents then confront the drug dealers nearby and things take a bleak turn.

As Simon continues to search for Paige, he joins forces with Elena Ramirez, - a former FBI agent who's now a Chicago private detective. Ramirez is searching for a missing young man named Henry Thorpe.....who seems to have had some connection with dead Aaron.

Meanwhile, a young couple called Ash and Dee Dee - who met years ago in a foster home - are driving around the country murdering men on a 'kill list.'

To say much more would give away spoilers, but - as would be expected - all the above threads eventually come together.

Additional characters in the book include Simon and Ingrid's adolescent daughter Anya and college age son Sam; Simon's business partner Yvonne - who happens to be his sister-in-law; Simon's client Michelle - a lonely old woman who looks forward to Simon's monthly visits; Simon's lawyer Hester Crimstein - a fierce, capable defense attorney (who also shows up in Coben's 'Myron Bolitar' series 😊); several gangbangers; and more.

I'm a Harlen Coben fan, but this book was disappointing. Some aspects of the plot are so overblown they're cartoonish. Moreover, intelligent characters walk into traps that would have been sussed out by a sixth grader. This last plot device doesn't belong in a book by an accomplished, experienced writer.

That said, the novel was fast-moving and kept my interest, and I'd recommend it to readers who enjoy mysteries, especially Harlen Coben fans.

Thanks to Netgalley, the author (Harlen Coben), and the publisher (Grand Central Publishing).
Loved this book...exciting...fast paced...It’s all of the good things that this author puts into his books.
What would you do to get your daughter back? What lies would you tell to your wife to get your daughter back? If you would lie to your wife don’t you think she might do the same? This was one of Harlan Coben’s scariest books because all of the scenarios were so real and so believable. This is one you really won’t want to miss – but don’t start it unless you have cleared your calendar. You truly will not want to put it down.
A more appropriate rating would be 2.5 stars out of 5. This was not one of my favorites by Coben. I put it down several times to read something else. It was just okay.
Simon Greene works in finance in Manhatten. His wife, Ingrid, is a pediatrician. Paige, their oldest child, is lost to them- she is addicted to drugs and has disappeared. Simon manages to find her and notices how strung out she is. When her boyfriend intercedes, as Simon attempts to take his dauther home, it leads to an altercation that becomes a viral sensation on the internet. Simon continues his search of his daughter which brings him into the violent underbelly of the drug world. However, there is something strange going on- why did Paige go from a promising college student to this downward spiral of addiction and self-destruction? The answer is very complicated, as we eventually discover.
	I have known Harlan since the days of the bleeding ball paperbacks about Myron Bolitar over twenty years ago. Those books were great but he was heading towards a career as a midlist author in the crime fiction world. At an auction, I won the bid to have him use my name in an upcoming novel. Harlan asked me if it would be okay if I was named as a character in an upcoming standalone which was not part of the Myron Bolitar series. I told him it would be fine. The book was TELL NO ONE, the first of his suburban noir novels. Initially, the books took place in suburban northern New Jersey where both of us are from. I could easily identify with the characters and knew the locale very well. He then got a contract worth many millions to write three additional books similar to that one. His career then skyrocketed. I continued to read his books for a number of years but two things became apparent- there is a similarity among the books (a main protagonist- family person- caught up in circumstances beyond their control and they need to bring their lives back to normal entailing life-threatening danger) and he really did not need my support or my reviews as he became a major bestselling author. So I stopped reading him. I heard good things about this one, so, after many years I decided to pick up his latest. To be honest, the book is very entertaining. I finished it in two long sittings but was engaged throughout. For a thriller, the characters are remarkably well rounded. The plot moves quickly but became increasingly complex as it neared the satisfying conclusion. There are numerous times when reality has to be suspended but we are not talking about high art here. For pop fiction, it is acceptable to stretch reality. Harlan is still in fine form. This is an excellent book for the plane or the beach. Recommended.

Larry gandle
Deadly Pleasures Mystery Magazine
Over the years, so many of my reader friends have recommended Harlan Coben and praised his books. And I always thought "Nobody is that good." Run Away was my introduction to Coben, and all I can say is -- Wow! Well, that and how could I have denied myself so much pleasure for so long?

Run Away is a terrific read. This story of a father desperately trying to protect his family is definitely thrilling, but also deeply moving and thought-provoking -- something I don't generally expect from this type of fiction. I really fell in love with Simon Greene, but I loved that there were also several interesting female characters in the book -- women who actually played a part in the story, and weren't there just for decoration. So refreshing!

It took me quite a while to finally try Harlan Coben's writing, but now that I've had the experience, I'm hooked. I owe the publisher and NetGalley a huge thank you for helping me discover a new favorite author. I see lots of Coben in my future!
Simon Greene , a financial adviser , and his wife  Ingrid, a pediatrician have three children. His daughter, Paige is a drug addict who ran away from home and while trying to bring Paige back  her boyfriend thwarts Simon’s  efforts and Paige manages to escape. Soon a murder occurs which makes Paige either a suspect or in extreme danger. Simon  and Ingrid race against time to save Paige but they might be fighting for their own safety too.

Run Away by Harlan Coben is a fast moving  action packed thriller with a few good  twists and turns  that make it an enjoyable read

I would like to thank Grand Central Publishing & NetGalley for providing an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest and fair review.
WoW! This book has everything I want in a thriller. It's unputdownable. Be prepared to be glued to this story! I won't give anything away so just read it!! I would read anything he writes!!  All the stars.

Fast paced and lots of twists. One of the best I've read.
Harlan Coben never ceases to write a novel that is thrumming with suspense. I've read several of his books and they are all fantastic reads. In RUN AWAY, Coben begs the question what would you do to reconnect with a child with whom you've lost touch? When Simon Greene thinks he sees his long-lost daughter playing music for money in the park, he knows that he must try to reconnect, no matter what. But what do you do if your child doesn't want to be found?
Editor’s note: The following review was published May 14 in the (Boone, N.C.) Mountain Times at https://www.wataugademocrat.com/mountaintimes/columns/book_reviews/spring-into-summer-early-picks-for-a-season-of-literary/article_c78a2823-2035-5949-9e26-f9ed3ea3b5eb.html

Because it’s never too early to prime the pump for your summer reading, publishing houses have a habit of releasing some of their best and most anticipated books in the days and weeks immediately preceding Memorial Day.

This year, a few of those titles have found their way onto our “can’t miss” list. Within the books listed here, you’ll find a bit of something for almost every reader, from young adult to seasoned bibliophile. They’re all page turners and cover a gamut of genres. Even better, they’re all recent pubs that are available now in your favorite flavor — e-book, print or, except for our nonfiction selection, audio.

‘Run Away’ by Harlan Coben (Grand Central Publishing)

I’m convinced that Harlan Coben is more machine than man. There’s no other way to account for an author with 70 million books published in 43 languages who is the creator and executive producer for a Netflix television drama, who is currently filming a movie for Netflix based on one of his novels, was executive producer for a couple of French mini-TV series and who has won more literary awards than we have room to print here, including the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award — the first author to win all three.

In “Run Away,” Coben’s 31st novel, the author dissects a seemingly perfect nuclear family with a knife that cuts deep and thorough: drug abuse. Coben’s plot-driven novel puts you in a position where it’s not difficult to imagine what the dark roads you would travel to follow your own addicted daughter in order to bring her home. A wonderful reveal at the end builds with a handful of likable characters we’ll want to see more of.

‘The Eighth Sister’ by Robert Dugoni (Thomas & Mercer)

Robert Dugoni is my go-to author for just about anything. He writes unparalleled thrillers and suspense, and the occasional coming-of-age tale — often in combinations that can feel like a Grisham-Patterson-Coben concoction in just the right proportions.

“The Eighth Sister” introduces us to a new series starter character: former but now reactivated CIA case officer Charles Jenkins. The novel takes us deep into Russia’s underworld with Dugoni’s trademark and unpredictable twists and turns. Fans of the author’s Tracy Cosswhite series will welcome Jenkins into their libraries.
Fans of audio books will welcome Edoardo Ballerini’s superb narration of “The Eighth Sister," adding a depth of dimension to the novel.

And fans of Amazon’s immersion reading will welcome the price. Both the e-book and audio book are available free as of presstime in Prime Reading.

‘Atlas Alone: A Planetfall Novel’ by Emma Newman (Ace)

Like an unexpected letter from a long-lost friend, “Atlas Alone” arrived in my reviewer's mailbox early one April morning, and I opened it just as expectantly.

Emma Newman writes science fiction and fantasy from South West England, UK, and she does it extremely well. Another one-single-job-couldn’t-possibly-be-enough author, Newman is the co-creator of the Hugo Award-winning podcast “Tea and Jeopardy and counts among her diverse daily activities live action role playing and dress making.

“Atlas Alone” is Newman’s fourth sci-fi novel to join the Planetfall universe — a series of books that also read as standalones. Each of this novel’s predecessors — “Planetfall” (2015), “After Atlas” (2016) and “Before Mars” (2018) — are marked by strong lead characters whose inner- and outer-journeys are influenced by the semi-dystopian world around them.

In “Atlas Alone,” Newman channels Orson Scott Card’s “Ender’s Game” to craft a novel of vengeance as heroine Dee struggles to find those who ordered a nuclear strike, destroying the Earth. Alone, the answer to the riddle proves elusive — and calls into question not only her ability to trust others, but herself.

'Mr. Finchley Discovers His England' by Victor Canning (Farrago)

This first of three comic novels by Victor Canning is not a new book, but it was the author’s initial published novel, in 1934. Not yet old enough to be in the public domain, Farrago has reissued this charming gentleman-adventure novel along with its companions, “Mr. Finchley Goes to Paris” and “Mr. Finchley Takes the Road,” as e-books.
This first book about the 45-year-old unmarried solicitor’s clerk follows Finchley on his misadventures as he attempts to take his first-ever holiday, beginning with his abduction in the backseat of a Bentley. From here, the picaresque novel travels through a gentler and more refined time as we follow Finchley’s travails throughout an English countryside much slower-paced than today’s. Perfect reading for a “take a breath” break from the current state of the world, the Mr. Finchley novels, like D.E. Stevenson’s “Miss Buncle” series, are a welcome respite from a too-often cluttered literary landscape.

‘The Road to Healing: Civil Rights Reparations Story in Prince Edward County, Virginia’ by Ken Woodley (NewSouth Books)

As the only nonfiction pick on today’s reading list, Ken Woodley’s “The Road to Healing” is arguably the most important.

When Prince Edward County, Va., closed its public schools in 1959 as an act of resistance to the Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court ruling, the community’s family-owned newspaper, “The Farmville Herald,” led the fight to shutter the schools rather than integrate. Because of this, white students would continue their education in private schools, while black students would have no formal education until forced integration took place five years later.

Setting wrongs to right, in “The Road to Healing,” Woodley — a journalist for nearly four decades at “The Farmville Herald,” including 24 years as its editor — documents an insider’s story of his efforts to establish reparations in the form of state-funded scholarships for black students. Those efforts would come to a successful reality in 2004 in what were perhaps the first Civil Rights-era reparations in U.S. history.

The account of Woodley’s advocacy is told stirringly here as a reporter, and ultimately a community, struggle to understand and amend for past grievances. Few crusades are as well-documented as this telling of Woodley’s quest for justice.
Every parent’s nightmare is that one of their children becomes a drug addict, and in Run Away, by bestselling author Harlen Coben, it’s reality for Simon, a successful businessman and Ingrid, a physician, who have a happy marriage and three children. Paige is the oldest, and somehow has gotten herself hooked on drugs and has an abusive looser boyfriend. Paige has disappeared and doesn’t want to be found. However, Simon catches a glimpse of her performing in New York’s Central Park at a place where he used to take his children when they were young. As he tries to talk to her, she runs. Simon can’t let it go, and begins to try to find her. This leads to him visiting seedy places, drug dealers, and even to Ingrid being shot.

Harlen Coben is one of the best authors out there today; it’s no wonder anything he writes instantly becomes a bestseller. Run Away is no exception. Coben has a way to get readers hooked in the very first chapter and keep them on the edges of their seats throughout the entire novel. His storytelling skills are well-honed, and he writes in a way that readers will believe what is happening is real and not a fictional story.

Coben is one of the few authors who can write a suspense-filled, edge-of-your seat novel and weave his incredible sense of humor throughout. Although this novel is far from humorous, it does have a few parts that make readers smile, which is similar to comic relief in the theater. His humor takes the edge off.

As is Coben’s style, the characters are well-developed; they seem like real people, and as the novel progresses, the readers feel like they know them well. Another element of Coben’s style is the fact that he can tell a believable story with an ending that is not only surprising, but sometimes shocking. That is the case with this novel. Even thriller aficionados who usually guess the ending will be surprised at this one.

Run Away is definitely recommended for anyone who loves Harlen Coben (and who doesn’t?).

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
The estrangement of their daughter undermines a family, and reveals complicated relationships. The basic situations are very relatable and the characters are well-drawn and sympathetic. There are twists, of course, but none are completely unbelievable. This book will satisfy fans of Harlan Coben and other mystery novels/thrillers.
I'm a huge fan of the author so I was excited to read his new book. The story kept me engrossed all of the way through with plot twists and turns. The narrator changed from chapter to chapter, sometimes every two chapters so readers might find this a little disconcerting. The author wrapped up the ending quickly, would have like a slower reveal, but that's just me. Coben fans will not be disappointed.
I read my first Harlan Coben book last year, and I loved it! When I saw that Runaway was coming out, I was definitely excited for something new from him. I really liked Runaway! Coben has a knack for creating suspense and adding twists and turns that you'd least expect,
Another hit from the master of suspense! This was a crazy, fast-paced page turner that kept me guessing the whole time. I normally don’t like when books have tons of characters to keep track of and lots side stories, but these all converged in a way that was interesting and easy to follow.  Such a fun read!
★★★★   from Terri Pena on May 1, 2019

Excellent read

Satisfying, nuanced characters. Well paced plot. Accurate portrayal of the desperation a family feels while trying to save an addicted child.

See your full review