Master of His Fate

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 20 Nov 2018

If you are a fan of historical English fiction, you will LOVE Master of His Fate by Barbara Taylor Bradford. I know I certaibly did! I read this book in two days and was so disappointed when it was over. I really enjoyed the vivid descriptions in the writing about the class struggles, the clothing, and the surroundings. It was an easy read but perfect for my recent vacation!

4 out of 5 stars for Master of His Fate by Barbara Taylor Bradford.
You just can't help getting into a Barbara Taylor Bradford book - they are usually hefty tomes, but once you start reading you just get swept along in the story. Master of His Fate tells the story of the Falconers and the Malverns in Victorian times, and is apparently the first in a series. I look forward to reading the sequels.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an advance ARC copy of this book.
An epic story begins set in Victorian England. James Falconer is the son of a merchant, but with hopes of being a great businessman. Alexis Malvern is the daughter of a great businessman with no intentions of marriage, but destiny steps in. This is the beginning of what promises to be an epic family saga that brings together rich and poor with Alexis and James.

I have to admit that this book started slow for me. It took a little while for me to get into it. That is the only reason I gave it a 4 star review. However, once I was about halfway in, I had to keep going. You kept reading about these two people living totally different lives and following different paths. How were these paths going to converge? I haven't read a lot of Bradford's books, but know she has a great reputation as an author. I am eagerly awaiting the second installment of this series.

Thanks to St Martin's Press and Netgalley for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is my first book by Barbara Taylor Bradford and I am excited that this novel is part of a series.  Master of His Fate tells the story of two completely different characters, James and Alexis.  One of them is born with privilege while the other is born poor but has much ambition to see himself succeed in life.  James' and Alexis' stories alternate and eventually intertwine in a very interesting way.  Barbara Taylor Bradford is such a great and descriptive storyteller that you feel like you are transported back to Victorian England.  I am looking forward to the next story in this family saga.

Thank you St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for an advanced reader copy for my honest review.
I am conflicted about providing a review because I did not finish the book.  I usually like this author's books but I just found this one to be very slow in the beginning.  I tried several times to read it but could not get engaged.
I love historical novels and this one was no different.  I love all the detail presented about the time period, the characters, their homes, their clothes, and their work lives.  This story revolves around two families--the Falconers who come from the wealthy class and the Malverns who are working class citizens.  James Falconer, one of the main characters, is determined to be an owner of a business from a young age and works to gain as much knowledge as he can.  We learn a lot about him and his family throughout the pages of the book.  Alexis Malvern, the other main character, works for her father's bank and also does charitable work with woman.  We are brought into her home life as well as her charitable work.  As the story progresses, through triumphs and heartache, we learn more about each character and how their paths cross.  I really enjoyed reading this book and had trouble putting it down.  Since it is the first book in a series, I can't wait to read the next installment and see where the story takes the characters we have grown to care so much about.  I would recommend this book to anyone who likes historical novels and detailed descriptions woven into their stories.

I received an advance copy of this novel from Net Galley for my honest review.
So much description of what everyone is wearing. Repeatedly. So much description of what every room in a house looks like. So very much description of how Sebastian is so attracted to Alexis, and how Alexis is so attracted to Sebastian, EVERY TIME they are in a scene. This book could have been a third of the length, and so much better written, if that junk was kept under control. It drove me nuts. This author's writing style has put me off ever reading anything else she has written, or ever will write.
I was lucky enough to read an ARC from #netgalley. Thank you to HarperCollins. I absolutely loved it. When woman were becoming part of the work force and the changing of fashion. The plot revolves around James Falconer and his determination and drive to open a chain of stores on par with Fortnum and Mason even though he is a humble barrow boy working with his father in a London market owned by Henry Malvern.
Alexis , Henry's daughter, beautiful, compassionate and a respected member of her fathers workforce and will inherit the business one day.
Their backgrounds couldn't be more different but their worlds collide when James gets employed by Henry.
This novel took me back to the time when Jack the Ripper was terrifying London and when life seemed simpler. A true insight into how the class system worked and the people who moved to break the boundaries. Full of love, family and tragedy.
It's the first in a four book series and I'm left with wanting more. Roll on the next one.
I've been a fan of Barbara Taylor Bradford for a long time; why I've been a fan of historical fiction period. Master of His Fate was a fabulous novel, one that I would read over and over again. It was the perfect beginning for the planned historical fiction saga. I cannot wait to see how the saga will continue!
I have not read a book by Barbara Taylor Bradford in decades but she still has the magic touch!  I have received Master of His Fate, as an arc and am astounded again by her writing, pulling the readers into this period in England.  Thank you so much for this opportunity!
Another great start to a series. I love reading this author because I know what I am going to get - it is akin to getting in your favorite comfy outfit with a hot cuppa and just disappearing into another world. This was a relatively easy read. There are many characters introduced and the story progresses nicely. I enjoyed it. I look forward to reading more in this series. I received a copy from NetGalley and the publisher and this is my honest opinion.
Barbara Taylor Bradford is well known for her historical novels.  This one follows a young man on his journey from a small town market as he works hard to advance himself.  He joins with a large shipping company while joining their two families to increase and improve the fortunes of both.  It was a good read with a predictable story line.
This was a good book.  If you like romance and victorian England then you will enjoy this book.  I will be recommending this book to others.
This was a great book.  Lots of complex characters and plots going on anchored by two featured characters.
I was a huge fan of the Women of Substance series and early Emma Harte family, as well as some of the earlier works by Barbara Taylor Bradford, but had not read anything by her in many years.  When I was offered the chance to read the ARC of the first in a new series, I was excited to get back to her books.  Unfortunately, over the past years either her writing has become too flowery, ornate and formulaic, or my tastes have changed a lot.  For whatever reason, the story was flat had zero appeal, the characters were shallow and the descriptions were simply over the top.  And the writing was simply boring and awkward.

Thanks to NetGallery, St. Martin’s Press and Barbara Taylor Bradford for this ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.
The life of James Falconer I think could have been much more interesting and geared to a more adult reading level.  Felt like reaading a YA book.
Another great novel from Barbara Taylor Bradford, can’t wait to read more in this series.  Fans of her novels will be pleased with the characters both fictional and historical.  I could not put this one done.
Thank you to Net Galley and St Martins Press for allowing me the chance to read and review Master of His Fate by Barbara Taylor Bradford.  I was a huge fan of the Woman of Substance series but unfortunately, didn't feel the same about Master of His Fate.   I didn't feel any connection to the characters as there was no depth to them (they wore lovely clothes, had lovely hair, lived in lovely homes, and ran successful businesses - ughhhh).  I thought the writing was stilted and just not up to par with Bradford's past writings.   I really wanted to like this book and hoped to be immersed in the story and left anxiously waiting for the next of the series.  But alas, that just wasn't meant to be.
I absolutely love Barbara Taylor Bradford but this title didn't do a thing to get my interest. I believe it was me. I finished it but it wasn't one that I was in love with reading.
Master of His Fate by Barbara Taylor Bradford is a wonderous read.  Another jewel in the crown of Barbara Taylor Bradford.
The timeline for this story is set in Victorian England. There there is a huge divide between the very wealthy and the very poor. As typical of a Barbara Taylor Bradford novel the cast of characters is complex, colorful and complicated.  Ms. Bradford artfully switches the story from one character to the other without ever losing the reader’s attention.
There is romance, intrigue and drama. European Victorian history is masterfully interwoven into the story, including the emergence of the infamous Jack the Ripper and the rising career of the then little-known Dr. Sigmund Freud. The ending leaves the reader with a sense of hope and appropriately sets the stage for the next book in the series. Barbara Taylor Bradford has done it again!

My thanks to St. Martin’s Press, Barbara Taylor Bradford and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This is the first in a series, and I look forward to the next book.