Backyard Adventure

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Mar 2019

Amanda Thomsen"s, "Backyard Adventure" is so much fun! Its full of wonderful ideas to keep the kids busy, learning, exploring, and creating all summer long! Includes step-by-step instructions for projects such as forts, giant bubbles, diy sprinklers, and my personal favourite an outdoor handwashing station. The best part is that you should have most if not everything necessary already in your home or around the yard. I can"t wait for the snow to melt so we can put some of this awesome ideas to good use! Highly recommended!
My three year old son is currently in nursery and every other day they take part in 'forest school' activities where they spend the whole day outside regardless of weather. Needless to say my son loves it and it really got me thinking of different ways in which we could use our garden and outside space for similar activities at home. So, this book popped up at an ideal time and I jumped at the chance to give it a go.

I found there was quite a range in this book so you have plenty of little activities that are quick, easy and relatively cheap to do and then you get bigger more difficult activities that make take a lot more time to do. So We've got everything from making your own outdoor chalk to building amazing dens in trees.

I think its safe to say you'd need a pretty big outdoor space to complete the majority of these activities and some of the building supplies could be pretty difficult to get your hands in, but there's plenty of room for improvising. Mostly I got a lot of ideas from this book which I have worked with, changing a little to suit our needs, so on the whole very inspiring.

If you are looking for a book to inspire you to get outdoors with your kids and do some fun outdoor activities then this is certainly a book to consider..
Great book was full of useful information that I could use as a parent very interesting indeed. I would be looking out for this in the bookstore
The author draws on her imagination and personal experience to present lots of fun activities. Whether you're learning about new types of secret hideaways and forts, creating with sidewalk chalk, or making stilts out of rope and cans, there are lots and lots of unusual things to read about.

My Thoughts
What Concerned Me:  I would monitor what is okay and not before letting any child loose with this book and all the

"wild fun."

Some things that I'm sure would be fun for kids, might be beyond an adult's comfort level, dirt-wise, etc. Plus, some activities are geared for older children.

What I Liked Most: There are lots and lots of fun activities to be enjoyed in both large and small yards. I really appreciated the wonderful photographs that were included.
I will be buying this book for my library, but I will also be buying it for every one of my siblings and their kids! Re-learn how to play! I loved every minute of this book as it reminded me of my childhood. Definitely a must have for everyone with kids.
When you’re a child, thinking out-of-the-box comes naturally. Backyard Adventure by Amanda Thomsen is a book that is filled to the brim with ideas and tips to reclaim the childhood that ‘should be’. As gadgets and structured lessons fill our children’s lives, a book like this is a reminder to slow down and savour beautiful moments that will go on to make the foundation of a child’s life.

The book is filled with many pictures and short snappy ideas on fun projects that children can do in their own backyard. These are real images of things done by real children and hence will definitely be inspirational.
Some of the projects may require a little bit of help from adults, if the children wish that is! There are some big projects such as building a fort or tepee, or a hideout with straw bales and tree branches, or a cardboard castle, complete with instructions. Then there are other executable ideas such as making creative sandboxes. There are instructions and suggestions on how to set up ‘tinkering’ areas such as a science lab or a musical studio, again by using easily available material. Children are also encouraged to make a ‘giant mess’ in some specially designed experiments. For those with a green thumb there are hints as to what they can grow. Some of the ideas involve messing around in the wild, or doing science experiments, again often messy! Another set of tips revolve around how kids can capitalize on their backyard space in the dark! (hint- it has to do with glowing objects!)
The materials required for these projects are simple things that one uses at home. In fact, most of the things are recyclable and these projects are all eco-friendly in that sense. Children can make use of waste and old stuff to indulge in these!
In all, the book is filled with easily executable ideas. Older kids (tweens) would be able to do these by themselves while younger ones would need some help from adults.
Take a pick from your favourite ideas and bounce them off on your kids. You will soon discover that the backyard is a blank canvas…. paint your fun the way you like! And who knows, backyard adventure may not just stop with the kids!
This book would have been my dream as an older kid/tween! Tons of ideas and pictures of different forts, structures and activities to create in your backyard. As a parent of young children, I am excited to create some of the projects in this book for them. Love the colorful pictures, layout and doodles. Gorgeous.

I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley. Opinions are my own.
This it truly a wonderful book,  and essential for anyone with children,  grandchildren or in childcare.
There are so many brilliant things to do and so many ideas to try.
I can't wait to start working my way through these with my toddler.
This book shows what children should be doing and the fun they could be having in nature and outside.
I will definitely be buying this for any friends with small children or starting a family .

I absolutely adored this book and it will be on top of my wild child book pile. My 2 year old daughter and I are always scrounging for material when we're out and she is an sandbox loving, rock collector so this book couldn't be more perfect for us. I love the illustrations and font used. The instructions to the activities are really simple to follow and brilliant drawings to accompany them.
I give Amanda Thomsen two big thumbs up for her amazing ideas in Backyard Adventure! This book is crammed full of fun ideas for kids to play outside. Any time spent outside and not on technology is a huge plus!

There is a section for making very cool forts, there are simple building projects like a catapult, making tiny nature kingdoms, growing fruit, backyard camping, and so much more! There is something interesting for every child! More ideas include, cardboard armor, mud games, water play, bubbles, and a whole section on things to play when it gets dark.

I can't wait to try some of the projects in this book with my three children. They will love it! I think this book is for parents, grandparents, sleepovers, day-camps, church groups and anyone else who needs to entertain kids.
I am always looking for ways to keep my Granddaughter busy and aways from the electronics. But my main goal is to build memories and have fun. When I saw this book I thought it would be great for our sleepovers or just when she visits. These are fun and easy activities to do while she is learning and will not know it. It has Forts and Hideaways with Tunnels, Leantos and more. Places for Tinkering with Creating a Mud Lab and more, Naturally Wild with Natural Paints and Dyes and more, Setting up Camp with Create an Outdoor Shower, and Sidewalks, Driveways and Fences with Fun on the Driveway and more, It is a great way for children to have fun and get messy too! Terrific way to spend quality time with your young ones.
I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Backyard Adventure by Amanda Thomsen is a book of pure fun. Geared to gets kids and parents outside and getting messy, this book is full of wonderful ideas. There is even a super secret section for parents that's printed upside down from the rest of the text, a very clever tactic. There are numerous photographs throughout the book, which are beautiful and vibrant. The joy and excitement on kids' faces is very clear. I appreciated her notes about safety for certain activities and consideration of neighbors in building an outdoor drum set. I think this is a great book of ideas- many of the activities are open ended and encourage using creativity to expand on them. A great book for any parent or anyone who works with children.

Thanks to Storey Publishing for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.