The Golden Tresses of the Dead

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Mar 2019

It should come as no surprise to anyone who reads my blog that I thoroughly enjoyed The Golden Tresses of the Dead. I'm a huge fan of Flavia de Luce, and I think this is the only long-running mystery (or really any) series that I've read every installment. This is the tenth book!

This time, a human finger is found in Flavia's sister's wedding cake. Ugh. And, then a mysterious woman comes to talk to Flavia and Dogger (the first client of Arthur W. Dogger & Associates) about some missing letters. Of course, these two situations are in no way connected ;)

Flavia, now twelve-years-old, is her usual astute and precocious self, but the addition of Dogger to the mix (he's much more talkative in this one) is splendid. Their banter, which as usual adds irrelevant and absolutely enchanting detail to the story, is priceless. I'm predicting we see more of Flavia's cousin, Undine, and her talents in future books too. I can't wait.

We don't see much of Flavia's sisters in The Golden Tresses of the Dead, and I missed their acrimonious relationships. All of the other standard characters make appearances. The other niggling thought I have is that there were several loose ends left hanging. There is closure, but Flavia and Dogger don't have all the details worked out. They leave it to Inspector Hewitt to fill them in! And we as readers are left.

But that is a small thing, and overall The Golden Tresses of the Dead is an excellent addition to the series. It isn't necessary that you read all of the books, but the background helps, I think. At least read the first one, which I think will always be my favorite, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. And if you are at all interested in chemistry or forensics, this series is a must!
I love this series!!! This one starts out with Feely finally getting married but things don't go as planned when a finger turns up in the wedding cake. Luckily Arthur W. Dogger and Associates: Discreet Investigations are on the case.
Bradley does it again.  I'll be sad to see Flavia go when he finishes this series.  I can't wait to see how the series ends, though, in the next book.
The much-loved Flavia is back for the tenth installment, and as with each previous book, she's grown a little. Sure, she's still unsettlingly precocious, but the more responsibility and weight that's settled on her shoulders, the less annoying I find it. There are a lot of characters and elements to the investigation in this book. The ending and the putting together of all the pieces was done really quickly, and I had to go back a couple of times to make sure I was catching all the bits of the rapidly assembled ending, but it's entertaining to watch Flavia and Dogger at work in their newly "official" capacity.
Thank you NetGalley for providing this book in exchange for an honest review. The latest Flavia De Luce story has a slight change of cast. Feeny’s wedding and departure starts the book, Daffy is virtually unheard, but Dogger steps into a starring role. Dogger and Flavia have started a detective agency. Drama starts early with Feeny cutting into a human finger that had been stuck into her wedding cake! A couple of poisoning deaths occur and Flavia and Dogger are on the case. It’s not my favorite of the series, but Flavia is such a delight!
Here’s to Flavia deLuce, my new Nancy Drew. As much as I loved the girl detective then, I am even more delighted to know this new incarnation. The books just keep getting better and Bradley keeps the series fresh with the plot and injection of new characters. I am also pleased to see cousin Undine coming into her own.
Flavia de Luce’s sister Ophelia is at last getting hitched, like a mule to a wagon. Flavia is an expert in the chemical nature of poisons, she has solved many mysteries, sharpening her considerable detection skills to the point where she had little choice but to turn professional. So Flavia and dependable Dogger, estate gardener and sounding board extraordinaire, set up shop at the once-grand mansion of Buckshaw, .

For all of us fans who have devoured every Flavia book, it was nice to have a copy of this one to read over my Christmas holidays.  And Flavia did not disappoint.  Nor did Dogger for that matter.  I was drawn right into the book from the first with the discovery of the finger in the wedding cake.  While Flavia has always been solving murders, I really like the fact that they have set it up as a business.  And I especially got a chuckle out of the Inspectors reaction. I did miss having her sisters interacting in the book.  The wedding seemed to take Ophelia away completely.  But maybe they will be more a part of future books.  My only complaint would be that it is much too long between Flavia books since I enjoy them so much.

I received a free copy of this book.  The review is my very own.
We come at last to what we’re told is the final book in the Flavia de Luce series, The Golden Tresses of the Dead (I will continue to hold out hope that Flavia will stubbornly insist on more books; don’t mind me). She has had many adventures in just a few short years, and I truly enjoyed this latest installment.

Flavia and Dogger, who had been her father’s trusted valet and friend, have formalized their bond by founding Dogger and Associates, a detective agency, and their first case comes when a finger is discovered in the cake at her sister Feely’s wedding. They make a great team, with scientific reasoning, smooth talking, and a few risks taken along the way, and they almost seem to have a telepathic connection at times.

I’ve also enjoyed how Flavia has continued to grow. She is showing an increasing ability to consider the feelings and perspectives of others around her, even those she does not necessarily care for. At the same time, though, she continues to be a tenacious spitfire (no wonder Undine likes her so much), who will stop at nothing to solve a murder.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book.
Flavia de Luce is at it again, with her associate Dogger, of "Arthur W. Dogger & Associates, Discreet Investigations.”  Flavia is a character to inspire and warm the heart of any young woman who has known, since childhood, that she could do a better job of investigating crime than the boneheads who do it regularly in books, on television, and in movies.  Flavia’s specialty is chemistry, and her practical chemistry skills are wizard.  She is a delight, and if this is your first in the series, you will enjoy going back in time to “The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie” and reading from beginning to end!

"That, in the end, is what chemistry is all about, isn't it?"

What a perfect line to end such a wonderfully written series!  I will admit that I did tear up a bit when I read those words.  We have watched Flavia go through so much, and now to know this part of her story is over, (I'm hoping for another series set in the future when she is older) I can't help but already miss it.

This story is about the newly founded Arthur W. Dogger & Associates.  Discreet Investigations.  The mystery starts with the finding of a finger in her sister's wedding cake, and ends up so much more.  With the common place chemistry and the newer, more mature Flavia, this story draws you in from the start.

I loved how Dogger came to his own, so to speak, in this story.  I feel he is the father figure that Flavia has lost, and the friend that she never really had.  The way the two of them work together shows how strong of a friendship the two of them have.

Overall I give this book a 5 star rating.  The plot was excellent, the character were entertaining as they always are in this series, and I felt that The Golden Tresses of the Dead gave a solid, satisfying ending to this fantastic series of books.
I'm so, so happy I was approved for this book! I've been with Flavia for many years now and am so glad that Alan Bradley has maintained the same wit and humor throughout the series. I loved that there was more of Dogger in this book, and the mysteries really grabbed me. This book was a great addition to the series, and I can't wait for it to be published so I can add it to my collection.
We have come to the tenth, and unfortunately, final title in the delightful Flavia series.  Changes are abundant in the newest edition as Flavia's older sister is now married and you see less of both sisters in this installment.  Featured more prominently are Flavia herself and Dodger, her father's former butler who have teamed up to form their own detective agency.  They undertake their first case after an exciting yet gruesome discovery during the wedding reception.    While I missed some of the family elements more present in the previous editions I enjoyed the growth in the characters, particularly that of Dodger and Flavia.  The  typical elements (writing, well developed characters, and of course science) we have grown to look forward to over the years with this series are present however I will admit it took me awhile to understand some of the details at the conclusion of the mystery.   I truly did enjoy this story and will miss future adventures featuring the precocious Flavia. I do look forward to what the author has in store for the future.
Alan Bradley is a master! He knows just how to plait humor, tension, intelligence, excitement, wit, hope, and interesting history all into one beautiful braid of a story.
Flavia de Luce is definitely one of my all-time favorite characters: she is smart, snarky, and willing to do anything for adventure; but she’s also deeply sensitive and so longs for strong, lasting relationships with people who she cares about. And as she grows, she gains depth of emotion that brings her even more to life. She’s a very complicated young girl, and that is exactly what makes her an amazing character.
And I always learn the most interesting tidbits of history while enmeshed in a Flavia de Luce novel: reading them is like finding the chocolate covered peanuts in your Rocky Road–they add that little bit of awesome to take it to the next level.
If you’ve never read a Flavia de Luce mystery, you must! They are intelligent and charming reads that I can’t get enough of. And you have time to get caught up on the first nine books in the series before this tenth book hits the shelves on January 22, 2019. Hurry up and get to it!
Many thanks to Random House Publishing Group/Delacorte Press and NetGalley for the advanced copy of this novel for review purposes. I was not required to give a positive review. All opinions are my very own!
I love reading this series.!! Flavia is back at it again.  It's filled with charming characters and an engaging mystery that Flavia & Dogger team up to solve.
Often the best  ook in a series is the first one. Often the quality is almost as good in the second and third books . Rarely does a series maintain its quality in subsequent books. Flavia de Luce is a wonderful character, but the bseries went downhill even before we learned about her mother'sdeath, i stopped buying the books  then. I read a library opy of the book covering her time in Canada and haven't read one since. Until I saw this one on NetGalley.  I won't read another. I wish the author would write about another character as original as Flavia.
The Flavia series went a bit off-the-rails for me in the last few books; but The Golden Tresses of the Dead feels like a return to the early days of Flavia's delightful outlook on life.
The Golden Tresses of the Dead, by Alan Bradley, is the tenth novel featuring precocious detective and chemist, Flavia de Luce. In this outing, Flavia is adjusting to her new role as (12-year-old) mistress of the family mansion and as partner in her newly formed Arthur W. Dogger & Associates, Discreet Investigations, with long-time family retainer, Dogger. So this is, of courses, the perfect moment for her sister to find a severed human finger in her wedding cake and a guest to ask her to find some missing letters.

Like the other novels in the series, The Golden Tresses of the Dead is a lightning fast read. Flavia’s delightfully ghoulish eagerness to investigate drives the novel like a locomotive. (Much to the dismay of the local police detective.) She rides her trusty bicycle, Gladys, while cheerfully singing songs she’s not supposed to know as she crosses the county in search of clues. Now that I think about it, this is kind of an indecently cheerful novel given how many people die in this book. That said, Flavia makes this book a hell of a lot of fun to read.

By the end, Flavia and her partner Dogger have uncovered a twisted scam based on homeopathy, involving a dodgy patent medicine manufacturer, a pair of possibly faux-missionaries, and the most terrifying woman in the village of Bishop’s Lacey. To say anything else would ruin the joy of trying to work out the mystery along with Flavia, so I’ll just sign off by saying that fans of the series will relish this new episode. The only problem is that these novels are so quick to read that the wait for the next novel to be published seems even longer.
The Flavia Series continues to be one of my favorites! A precocious girl on the cusp of being a teenager with a sixth sense for solving mysteries such as....who put the finger in her sister's wedding cake?! These books have an uncanny ability to take you back to post war England and feel the breeze blow thru your hair as Gladys help you investigate a new clue. I am thoroughly enamored of all the supporting characters as well, Due to her success, she and Dogger have opened a detective agency, Authur W Dogger and Associates. Two missionary women have come to stay at Bradshaw and Flavia is immediately suspicious. After Flavia pockets the finger, she and Dogger are off on the Necropolis Railway to find its owner and  using a combination of chemical analysis, hunches and [;aim good detective methods, the culprit is uncovered.
This was announced as a ten book series and this is the tenth installment. Hopefully, Mr Bradley will change his mind and allow Flavia to continue to grow up and become the wonderful woman we know she will be.  it would be quite an adventure to see Flavia in college, and at a high school dance.  So I shall be sad if this is the end, but know that Flavia will be available in the library for readers to enjoy for many years to come.
I received this book in return for an honest review from NetGalley
She's back! Yes, our favorite twelve year old sleuth, Flavia de Luce is back along with her father's valet, Dogger and her faithful bicycle, Gladys. Flavia and Dogger have decided to go professional and have founded a detective agency, Arthur Dogger & Associates. Their first case comes about when an embalmed finger is found in the wedding cake at her sister Ophelia's reception. It's a gorey, yet enthralling tale and I've given it a five crab rating! 🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀
Due out January 22, 2019 #TheGoldenTressesOfTheDead #NetGalley
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I have enjoyed all of the books in this series in audiobook form, so this was my first time reading a Flavia de Luce mystery. While reading this, I could hear Jayne Entwhistle’s voice in my head, capturing the essence of Flavia’s youthful intelligence.

With her sister Feely leaving home after her marriage to Dieter, Flavia de Luce is settling into her role as owner of Buckshaw and part of the team of Arthur Dogger & Associates.  When Feely finds a body part in her wedding cake, it is up to Flavia and Dogger to find out who it belongs to and who put it there. I enjoyed this novel just as much as the others in the series, and I especially appreciated seeing how Flavia has matured and how her feelings have become more a part of her investigations.