Cover Image: The Curse of Misty Wayfair

The Curse of Misty Wayfair

The Curse of Misty Wayfair looks, reads, and feels like an old ghost story (Don't worry, its isn't). With marvaoulus "on the edge" mystery and the joys of budding romance. You can't help but grumble when you have to put the book down and join the rest of humanity. The story covers two lives in different centuries that are effected by a town mystery turned ghost story. The event that brings such hell draws our two main characters, Heidi and Thea, to question where God really is in the midst of their lives and why He put them here in the first place.

I was given a copy of this book from the publisher. these views are my own.
Jaime Jo always delivers such beautifully atmospheric and absorbing mysteries that never fail to keep me enthralled and just the slightest bit creeped-out (in the best way possible). She's mastered the blending of the historical mystery with the contemporary one to keep the reader guessing all the way through.
This book was a good mystery with many working pieces and parts. I really enjoyed how they tied in history!
The twists and turns is this book will surprise even the most skeptical and prolific readers. Superb character development and perpetual events propel you through the pages. Mysterious and macabre yet spiritually fulfilling in a unique way that doesn’t stifle. With just a touch of gruff romance to round out the loneliness felt by the main character.

I was pleasantly surprised by this tale.
I really enjoyed Jamie Jo Wright's
 Curse of the Mysty Wayfair. A really creepy kind of good story that will make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.
I'm beginning to love books like this.
Jamie really knows how to write a story that can keep your attention throughout the book and still leave u wanting more.
This book will leave you thinking about it long after it's done.
The characters are wonderful.
It's hard to believe that it all started with an old picture that Holly found. And then It's all she wrote from there.
I strongly recommend this story. It's a great read great characters and a wonderful plot all rolled into one.
You won't want to miss this one for sure.
My thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this book. NO compensations were received.
All opinions are my own
Heidi Lane finds a photograph in an old scrapbook of a woman who looks just like her.  This leads her on a quest to find out who the lady was. In searching for answers, Heidi finds her very life in danger too.  This story takes place in two different time lines that weave the characters together.  Jamie Jo Wright writes excellent dual timeline stories.  Full of mystery and suspense and God's mercy and grace.
Jaime Jo Wright has a way of writing stories with mysterious settings that are oh so creepy. She has also mastered writing plots that weave two different time periods together. I was drawn in right from the start and couldn't read fast enough. The pages come to life with vivid detail and the characters are well thought out. A spiritual thread is woven throughout the pages and provide layers of emotions. I am not a fan of spooky, ghost or creepy books, so I was hesitant to read her first book. Much to my surprise Jaime Jo Wright has penned the words in a way that I can read and be intrigued enough to keep going. I think it is due to the way she goes between time periods and every dark emotion or scene has a reason behind it - never just tossed in for the scare factor.

If you are looking for a unique spooky mystery that is in the genre Christian fiction, you absolutely do not want to miss this book. I highly recommend this book and her other books, as she hits it out of the park!
With little more than a name and place to direct her, Thea Reed arrives in Pleasant Valley to look for the mother who left her on the steps of an orphanage years earlier. When her search leads her to a mental asylum, Thea utilizes her skill as a post-mortem photographer to access the place. But her hunt unearths more than she bargained for. It reawakens the ghost of Misty Wayfair, a woman murdered decades earlier who townsfolk claim haunts the area and especially one family in particular.

A century later, Heidi Lane travels to Pleasant Valley, beckoned by a disconcerting letter penned by her dementia-ailing mother. Her search for answers leads Heidi to the ruins of an old asylum and the mysterious tale of the ghost believed to inhabit it.

Storytelling at its best, The Curse of Misty Wayfair delivers a spellbinding tale. An atmospheric and eerie read that haunts the reader long after its conclusion, Jaime Jo Wright seamlessly blends the past and present in a powerful story of identity and discovering it in our Creator.

Creepy without crossing into horror, Wright expertly uses vivid settings and descriptions to pin her audience to the edge of its seat and kick the heart rate up a notch, proving that one does not need to rely on blood and gore to deliver a deliciously suspenseful read.

The protagonists aren’t your typical (whatever that means) heroes. One won’t find a strapping FBI agent, modelesque detective, or brilliant lawyer but rather a gruff, grease-encrusted mechanic and a groundskeeper with tics and twitches. That is what makes them all the more loveable and heroic. They resemble people I know or can imagine encountering.

Wright masterfully created 3D settings that leapt off the page and had me feeling as though I experienced and interacted with the story world. Returning to reality proved jarring to say the least.

Despite only discovering Wright in December, I have already read all her novels. She has firmly planted herself at the top of my favorites list and become an author to emulate. Out of her three books, picking my number one choice would be impossible.

I strongly recommend The Curse of Misty Wayfair to readers who enjoy tales infused with a strong suspenseful element, a speck of romance, and a thread of faith. Now I’m off to re-read her stories because how else am I to make it until her next release in December?
A deep and compelling literary novel, weaving both contemporary and historical settings, rich in emotion, faith, psychology, and history, THE CURSE OF MISTY WAYFAIR is a novel both stunning and compelling. I so identified with both protagonists: Thea in 1908, Heidi in our time. Their search for metaphysical understanding, for faith, for ancestry and roots, to understand "where they came from" and from whom: my heart resonated with them throughout. I seldom discover a novel as personally compelling as this one, and I'm off to devour author Jaime Jo Wright's other novels.
Prepare to be held captive by a novel...

To be honest, I just don't know where to begin. My mind is so full after reading this book that I just don't know how to get my thoughts written down. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this book. The Curse Of Misty Wayfair was not only author Jaime Jo Wright's best, but, it is probably one of my favorite reads. EVER.

After reading Jaime Jo Wright's previous two books I've come to expect a lot from her. But even I couldn't have anticipated how amazing The Curse Of Misty Wayfair would be. It is one of the most emotionally moving, powerful, and flat out eeriest books that I've read. To say that this book was a page-turner would be a gross understatement. I couldn't help it, I just couldn't put the book down. Everything else went to the wayside as I was held captive by the pages of a book.

What did I love about the book? Well, pretty much everything. It was dark, it was creepy, it was enough to keep you awake at night looking out the window into the shadows for a figure in white, but it was also so much more than that.

As with Jaime Jo Wright's previous books, The Curse Of Misty Wayfair is a dual timeline story with both a contemporary and a historical thread that are closely intertwined. With this book I connected with the heroines of both timelines right off the bat. There was just something about both women, and their love interests, that grabs the reader. All of them have been deeply hurt by circumstances, by the people around them, by choices. And all of them must fight their way through the darkness to a faith, no matter how fragile at first, beyond.

A truly wonderful book, The Curse Of Misty Wayfair is a must read for any Christian fiction fan, though, you may want to leave the light on when you go to bed tonight....

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
Jaime Jo Wright wrote a page turning suspense and I can't wait to read another of her books! I was addicted on the first page to the very last page. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a suspense and mystery
Wow, such an enthralling story!  Lots of crazy shadows in this one, and freaky, inexplicable happenings.  Can a place really be haunted?  Do ghosts really walk in the mists of midnight?

Both eras flow together well in this story as two different heroines, past and present, try to find out what secret holds the town in bondage and as they face different questions about their heritage and parents.  Both Thea and Heidi discover strange things about the local mental asylum and have terrifying encounters with the legendary Misty Wayfair, leading them to search for answers: surely ghosts and curses aren’t in the realm of reality, right?  The evidence definitely seems to suggest so.  What’s the truth?  And who is desperate to cover it up?

This is not a book to read if you’re wanting to sleep at night.  It’s not the book to read if you’re afraid of the dark or if you are home alone.  It’s the perfect book to snuggle up with under a warm blanket on a rainy day.  I dare you to set it down when you’ve once picked it up!

Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for a free reading copy.  A favorable review was not required.
Um...WOW. Seriously, that's all you need to know. Jaime outdid herself on this story. It's gut-wrenching and hard and beautiful and creepy, all at once. Her writing is fast-paced, tense, with beautiful description that gives just enough to keep you wanting but not so much that you get bored.

I truly can't think of words to make this review better. Just...go read it. Really. Go. NOW. :)
I cannot get enough of Jaime Jo Wright's books. By that I mean, she cannot write them fast enough to satisfy my reading itch! (hint - if you're reading this Jaime Jo, my new prayer is that you can write faster lol) She is quickly rising to the top of my favorites list, and I find myself talking with others about her books not only while I'm reading them, but well afterwards. Yes, they are that memorable.

First she draws you in with the creepy storyline, dual time period I might add. She brilliantly weaves all the layers together in just the perfect way. You don't find out a thing too early, and you're constantly on the edge of your seat waiting for the next thing to happen. The setting is captivating and creepy, if those two words can even be used in the same sentence. You can't help but picture yourself at the site of the asylum, both historically and in the present time. In fact, there was a deserted graveyard in the town I grew up in and as kids we used to go play there. I couldn't help but picture that setting being near the asylum, and it was cool to connect to the story like that (and yes a little creepy too). Setting aside, Wright takes you on this mysterious journey looking for answers to so many things. But at no point did it feel overwhelming. The two storylines fit well together and it almost became one big mystery rather then two separate ones.

Then there's the characters. Ladies beware, Rhett is a character you'll remember for a long time. He may come off as a little standoffish, but there is just something about him that makes me (and I'm sure others) swoon. He is a rough, tough, manly man. There is just no other way to put it. He's got a gruff exterior, but the insides of a teddy bear. Fiercely protective and loyal. I didn't think I would end up liking him so much, but Wright has a way about changing a girls opinion on a character. In fact she did so more than once (although I can't comment about the other because it'll include a spoiler).

This book has twists and turns, eery events, and the ability to pull a reader in without letting go. Even better, Wright was able to tackle a difficult topic - mental illness - both in today's world and in the past. I imagine there is much truth behind what she wrote, and I would love to see her research notes about it. My how far our world has come in the world of medicine and helping others. What's wonderful about this is how Wright incorporated it into the story. It wasn't forced, it didn't feel out of place, and it really didn't come at a surprise. It fit like a glove with everything else that was going on.

I could go on and on about my feelings on this book. Seriously. But instead, I just want to encourage you to read it. Maybe night at night, unless you have someone with you. And be prepared to read until your eyes pop out of your head - you won't be able to put it down! I received a complimentary copy of this book. I was not required to write a favorable review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
First things first, I’ve read Jaime Jo Wright’s previous two novels. Loved both of them, but The Curse of Misty Wayfair is my favorite. The split timeline is perfectly blended between past and present, each chapter bringing you more into the character’s lives and deeper into mystery. Heidi and Thea had a tangible presence, their essence so real I wanted to look up and carry on a conversation with each of them.

My favorite part…I can never figure out the who-done-it. I tried. I analyzed every conversation, agonized over every person, and I still couldn’t figure it out until mere chapters before the big reveal.

From the spiritual aspect, it’s a slow growing process, much like the characters’ growth. Heidi is used to running away when the going gets tough. Things like that don’t change overnight. The threads of spirituality and coming to know God needed time to spread, gently drawing Thea and Heidi toward their Creator.

The Curse of Misty Wayfair is told from Heidi and Thea’s perspectives, so we never hear directly from Simeon and Rhett. I seriously need to watch The Incredible Hulk after reading about Rhett. My only wish is that Rhett at some point would have done a ‘hulk-smash’.

Overall, a beautifully-layered story built on a foundation of God and hemmed with walls of mystery and romance.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley. I was not required to leave a review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
Words can't describe how good this book is. The emotions and feelings that wove through my mind during this read were beyond what any other fictional book has ever done to me. It was vivid, to the point of feeling the coldness of the abandoned building and the fear in the moments of unsureness. The author delivers on such a high level in the building and strength in her characters that at moments I truly felt as though I was living and breathing as them. This was an all-consuming read, I couldn't do anything else in my life until I finished reading. To say I would recommend this book is an understatement, I want to deliver it all the readers I know just so they can have such a wonderful and epic experience.
Is it a ghost or her imagination? Is someone time-travelling? I had no idea what to expect in The Curse of Misty Wayfair by Jamie Jo Wright, which was great because the author had me hooked from the first page.

As the characters struggle to find out the truth of the strange goings on in the small town of Pleasant Valley, the reader is also left to wonder until the very end of the book. Wright did a superb job of keeping me in the dark until the last minute, making this a hard book to put down. However, there were so many rabbit trails that at times it was a hard book to follow. This would not have been an issue if I had hours to devote to reading this book in a single sitting. But unfortunately, my reading schedule is haphazard at best, making this book a confusing read if you couldn't remember where you last left off.

The characters are well developed, and the story is slightly spooky, filled with ghosts, insane asylums and forays into the past and future. The central theme is finding your identity (as each of our main characters - Heidi and Thea) try to do. What they find instead is the importance of who they are in Christ.

A great book with more than one surprising twist. I highly recommend it!

The book was provided courtesy of Bethan House Publishing and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
With this gripping story, Wright has raised the standard for this genre.  Jaime Jo Wright uses wonderfully descriptive language to create a mysterious setting for her suspenseful tale.  I especially enjoy how Wright intricately connects the stories from the two time periods.  The characters were created with care and I appreciate that Wright handles those dealing with illness with honor and respect.  Hopefully, the author’s accurate depictions and poignant lessons will lead to more compassion in our world.  This book grabbed my full attention.  I did not want to miss one word and I won’t miss her next book.  I was given a copy of this book by the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
Jaime Jo Wright's The Curse of Misty Wayfair is this gifted and talented author's third book. From the very first page, I was intrigued. Several pages more, and it gave me the wonderful tingles that a Hitchcock movie causes its viewers to feel. Also, the stark, clarity of characters and eerie sensation a Stephen King novel imbues in its reader. The realism in this book might give you pause to not read it in the night, keep forging forward, this is one sensational read! It caused some two-cups of coffee mornings as I "burned the midnight oil" reading this story.

I only hope her next book will be coming out soon, I'm not sure if I'm patient enough to wait.
What an amazing read. Spooky, intertwined, and poetic. Character development was stunningly written. Pacing and plot were fabulous. Wright’s books are like a perfectly aged wine. They just keep getting better. Five stars. Highly recommend.