On Being 40(ish)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Feb 2019

Since I turned 40 this year, I was interested to pick up this title. I did enjoy some of the stories in the collection.  There is a mix of good and bad in the tales but the positive outweighs the negative. The essays are all very candid on what it meant for them to turn 40 and what molded them to get there and where they still feel they are going. One positive was the diversity of the women and the diversity of the writing.
Thank you NetGalley and the Publisher for providing me with a free digital ARC in exchange for my honest review.
I really enjoyed this collection of essays about being a woman in your forties. I related and chuckled and one rather poignant and personal essay really hit home and brought me to tears. I found after reading the book that I felt uplifted and quite positive about being 40ish, I’d highly recommend this to anyone feeling a bit wary of this decade.
I can see this as a great book to give to my Millennial friends when they hit 39 year old, to get a feel about what other women have faced living in their 40's.
I am actually in my 50's, but I could still relate to this book. It made me laugh, it made me think and it made me realize we are all here together
There are 15 writer's stories in this with different essays about life from all aspects. Out of the 15 stories, I could relate to at least 10 of them. My favorites included "Youth Dew" by Lee Woodruff and "Why I didn't Answer your Email" by KJ Dell'Antonia.

I recommend this book for all women of 'a certain age' or close to it!
This book is a collection of essays generally about being in your 40s (though weirdly several of the authors are actually in their 50s). Some are very personal, some universal, some are more specifically about this stage of life and some less so. Like any collection, some are better than others - my two favorites were those by Allison Winn Scotch and KJ Dell’Antonia. 3.5 stars.
This is a great read!  I loved reading the personal stories, as this milestone is different for every woman.  The writing made this feel like it was written by an older sister or best friend, as it was really intimate.
As a 43 year old lady myself, I've read lots of these essay collections of vaguely feminist ladies writing about LADY STUFF in my time, and this one did not particularly knock my socks off. These things tend to include authors with a pretty limited range of identity and experience -- living in the Northeast or West Coast, maybe Iowa (Writer's project hangover/teaching job). I've over it.

The Megan Daum one was good tho, b/c Megan Daum is usually good. I also laughed meanly b/c Sloane Crosley got in despite being only 38 while pondering the fate of her face b/c she's Sloane Crosley, you guuyyyyssss.

Anyway, thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.
I'm going to be 40 this year so this book seemed aimed at me. Great range of essays and authors that really explore what it is like nearing 40 at this time in the world.
I was invited by the publisher to read On Being 40(ish), and I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Fifteen women contributed to these essays on the topic of turning forty. The big 4-0 has always been viewed as a turning point, a milestone, in the same way turning eighteen or twenty-one is; however, there are, arguably, more differences for women at this milestone, according to this thoughtful book.

The essays are equal parts honest and emotional and always personal.

Regardless of their age, I feel like many women find something to relate to and reflect upon here. On Being 40ish is an inspiring, raw, and hopeful collection, and like a great chat with your best girlfriend all in one.

I received a complimentary ARC. All opinions are my own.
I absolutely LOVED this book of essays, it was so on point with my life right now, and was much needed in a time full of questions. These essays are filled with advice, experiences, encouragement and love. Strong women, sharing their stories of life, being vulnerable, accepting and encouraging of one another and sharing these stories with the public.
From the first sentence in the author’s note, to the last of the acknowledgments, I was intrigued and even brought to tears at times. I texted all my girlfriend’s to tell them about this book and how important I think it’s for us “40-ish” women to read and know that, through the dredges of our 30’s, there’s a beautiful light at the end of the tunnel.
I’m giving this book 5 stars! I can’t wait until publication date to get my hands on several copies of this book, to share with all my girlfriends. This book came at the exact time in my life I needed some positive encouragement, and this novel was a beautiful surprise.
On Being 40(ish) is a collection of short stories written by women whom come across different perspectives of their lives after turning the big 4-0 or being over 40.

Different events that happen in each woman's life affects the stories being told here. Some stories, I related with all to well and some? well, they fell a bit short but in all, every story resonated with me as a woman of a "certain age".

The two stories that stuck with me the most were: Same Life, Higher Rent by Meghan Daum & I Don't Have Time for This by Sophfronia Scott.

For the most part On Being 40(ish) done very well and I believe it's going to give us the feels, the fells in a very good way.

*Thank you to the Publisher and NetGalley for the opportunity to review.
Since I'm in my early forties, I though I'd read this book to gage other's experiences.  Some of the stories were enjoyable, and some of them were not a fit for me.
“Forty feels like we’ve come to the top of the ferris wheel: the view is dazzling, in no small part because we know how quickly the descent will go.”
This book came across my radar (via Jill Kargman’s Insta feed) at the perfect time, since I just turned *whispers* 40 😫a few months ago.  I’ve been struggling a little with this milestone because I’m suddenly in this weird stage of feeling equal parts IDGAF now (which, by the way, is so freeing!) and random bouts of panic “but 40 just sounds so old! I still have dreams!”😫
Reading these essays was like chatting with girlfriends over coffee. That feeling of, “okay, you get me. I get you. We’re in this thing together- let’s DO this.”
Some were better than others- I loved the pieces by Meghan Daum , Lee Woodruff , Jill Kargman , and especially Catherine Newman (this one gave me Beaches vibes and left me in a puddle on the floor), but could have done without a few others.
Bottom line- if you’re anywhere in your 30’s or beyond, you’ll definitely enjoy and relate hard to this book. It’s a good glimpse ahead for those approaching, and a reassuring  high-five for those of us already there.
Thanks to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster for a free digital advance copy in exchange for my honest review.
This is a poignant collection of essays by women about their life experiences and outlook after turning forty.

I don't usually read these types of collections but the description caught my attention, and I'm happy I picked it up. The title includes personal stories from different writers, they explore many themes, from aging, careers, relationships, to the shift in priorities each lived decade.

I related to many of the stories, but my absolutely favorite was THE PEOPLE WHO GOT ME HERE by Julie Klam, I felt emotionally connected from the beginning.

Overall, a meaningful and relatable collection of essays.

Received ARC from the publisher via Netgalley
I am the perfect target audience for this book, being a woman in the throes of my 40's. I really enjoyed the wide variety of essays in this compilation. Topics are much more broad than Botox and sagging necks. Many of the essayists I was familiar with but some I was not, however all of the pieces were either relatable or thought-provoking.
There needs to be more books like On Being 40Ish published, and I am grateful to have had the experience of reading this book of essays of forty-something female authors.

It serves as a retrospective and future guide: what does it mean to be in the middle of this female life?

Between each essay are the writers’ reflections on various simple topics, such as the biggest surprise of life after forty, the single most important lesson they’ve learned so far, and the thing they’ve given themselves permission to do now that they are forty.

I especially enjoyed reading perspectives on physical aging and how it molds our mid-life female identities. It was helpful to read more positive perspectives on what our culture punishes.

This book served as a comforting visit with the often hushed demographic of female mid-life, giving voice to its gifts.
**Thank you NetGalley, the author, and Simon Schuster for the chance to give my honest opinions on this ARC.**I didn't really like this book as much as I thought I would have.  It had some very easy to relate to stories  and then others that were almost depressing.  I just turned 40 this past summer and thought that this collection of stories would be more like what my friends and I have gone through thus far in our lives but the weirdest thing happened.  I still feel the same way I did at 25. 30, and 35.  Actually, that's not entirely true.  I have noticed that my level of patience for tolerating idiots has seriously taken a nose dive.  I am still rating this book 4 stars because it did have some tales that made me feel like I am not alone in looking at the world the way I do and who doesn't want a little proof that they aren't quite as crazy as they thought?
When they proposed me to read On Being 40 (ish) Edited by Lindsey Mead by Simon and Schuster I didn't hesitate for a second. This book will see the light next month and you can't lose the opportunity of buying it.

You can't avoid to read another masterpiece by this publishing house regarding a different section of our existential life as women. It would be a real sin. I read this book in a few hours yesterday night and it is simply amazing.

I particularly love this book because written with sincerity, open heart. These ones are candid and real confessions mainly written by established reporters or writers. They will give us the idea of an age where it's possible to start to define what it was done, what must yet to be done, what we love and what we hate, where we want to go, what we want to throw away, who we want to keep, who we are.
40ish is an age of balance although all decades, let me add, are.

In general at this age, children are in their teenage age; a lady experienced a divorce and the beauty of it ,was the fact that she re-discovered herself and her priorities.
The ability of saying no, a different respect for herself.

Another one was too busy for answer an e-mail because in life priorities change.

A lady close to the anniversary of her wedding, long and happy, fell sick and followed months and months of rehabilitation before to return to the normality. Facebook, she told, helped her because spreading the news, she received a lot of psychological support.

Someone else told that some of her main and most important problems started before the 40s with important illness she was affected by and that have been defeated; another one (I agree) thinks that the arrival of the 40s is just a number like another one.

Some of these ladies lived a tumultuous existence, going in the West Coast and back to the East one; other ones remember their existence and they think that being 40s means an opportunity, a point of arrival and new starts and maybe the age where mortality is more close to us. Some of our friends disappeared, maybe also a parent, or they start to fall sick; there is a more palpable  and visible sensation of our own mortality; we won't live forever as we thought in the past. The 20s in this sense are powerful. We thought we had the life and world in our hands, but it was just an impression isn't it true? Volatile.

This book contains also poems, quotes cartoons that you will see are hilarious or differently, will let you think.

Some contributors? Veronica Chambers, Meghan Daum, Kate Bolick, Taffy Brodesser-Akner, Sloane Crosley, KJ Dell’Antonia, Julie Klam, Jessica Lahey, Catherine Newman, Sujean Rim, Jena Schwartz, Sophfronia Scott, Allison Winn Scotch, Lee Woodruff, Jill Kargman for a total of 15 authors who opened their heart telling to readers what it means to them to being in the 40ish.

This one is a book you will treasure. It is a perfect gift, if you want to share your 40ish experience with some friends contemporaries of you, for laughing, smiling, remembering the so-called "old times" what it was done, what it must yet to be done and what it will be.

I thank NetGalley and Simon&Schuster for this ebook.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review - thank you NetGalley!  I will be 38 this year so the title of this book sounded interesting to me.  I absolutely loved this book!!!  I could relate to at least something in ever single story.  This book is full of stories from incredible real women who are "40-ish" and I felt like I was friend with all of them by the time I finished each one.  Some of the stories made me laugh out loud and some of them made me (literally) tell my best friend who now lives in a different state that we have to get together soon.  I have had my best girlfriend for almost 33 years so the stories about lifetime friendships really gave me the feels.  I am going to buy this for some of my girlfriends when this comes out - highly recommend!!!
For those of us that are around this age (ahem), you will enjoy reading the 15 different essays by female writers.  The essays actually cover ages late 30s into the 50s, and I found most of the essays very relatable.  By this age, all of us have experiences that connect us together as women, whether they are stories told about love, friendship, aging parents, and fashion trends.  I see it as a celebration of the knowledge that we have acquired throughout our lives.
An interesting collection of musings by different women authors on their experience of staring down the barrel of the big 4-0. As with all compendiums, it is inevitably a mixed bag of tales, and on average the good outweighs the bad. Maybe I was able to dismiss their musings a little too much, as I'm currently staring down the barrel of the big 5-0, and therefore found some of their concerns about the aging process a little trivial. Or maybe the aging process has actually helped with my self doubt and constant worry with what other people think.
I did have a few knowing moments, remembering how I once felt the way the writers do. I guess I'm no longer the target audience. Here's hoping they do a follow-up On Being 50(ish) and quickly, as I'm running out of time! Definitely worth a read, as there are some really great pieces in this collection.