Cover Image: Trophy Life

Trophy Life

It took me awhile to read this because I didn't like any of the characters. We do get to see growth in Agnes but it just took too long for my tastes. Would recommend to my friends who like chick lit.
This was EVERYTHING. The book was executed with a perfect mix of humor and earnestness. It was engaging and endearing and pulled me in from the beginning, and held me until the last page. It is one of those books that reminded me why I love to read. I finished the book and felt so satisfied and happy.

I think what really makes this book are the characters. I fell in love with Agnes, Grace and most of the other characters almost instantly, and loved to see Agnes' character growth throughout the novel. The boarding school portion of the book introduced some adorable boys into the story. Their antics were so well described and fun, I found myself smiling while reading.

A bullet point list of everything else I enjoyed about the book:
- The book was so well written, I felt like I was there with Agnes in her boarding school faculty housing. I was there with her on the brown couch watching everything happen.
- The timeline of the book and how we got to be with Agnes for a whole year (and all the holidays that go with that)
- Beeks (and her phone calls)
- The teaching moments
- All of the funny anecdotes about children and the messes they get into
- The adorable mom moments Agnes experienced with Grace
- JUST. ABOUT. EVERYTHING.

The only thing I wanted was a longer conclusion and I can’t say for sure, if that’s because I just loved the story enough to want more of it, or if the conclusion was actually rushed. Either way, please read this book. It's a fun, uplifting, contemporary that I enjoyed from the beginning to the very last page.
I enjoyed this story! I loved Agnes and her story.  I loved that took her circumstances and pushed forward. I loved her resilience. I loved the motherhood aspect of the story.  Geller did a great job with this one.
An amusing, quick read.  Not highly developed characters but a lite hearted read. If you are looking for a quick, chick lit book then this should be your next read!
This was slow to start and was a little difficult to get into at first but once the story got rolling, I found the 'light and fluffy' contemporary I expected. I didn't find it very surprising or different to anything that I've read in women's fiction before though. For some reason (probably based on the cover) I might have thought the story and characters would be more comedic, but it was still an enjoyable and entertaining enough read.

We get a small glimpse into the 'trophy life' that Agnes leads as a young mother married to an older man in California. However, that quickly goes downhill as Agnes 'gets a feeling' that something is wrong with Jack when he doesn't show up to their pre-scheduled monthly couples massage. Honestly, I don't really understand how it happened because there was nothing to indicate that something was wrong; so to me the main conflict of the story felt like it came out of left field, but I went along with it anyway. As her life unravels, Agnes has to pick up and move East to start teaching at a private school for troubled boys and to me, that's when the story starts to get a lot more interesting.

I found myself a little 'meh' with Agnes' character at the start. I understood that her upbringing of 'not ever having enough' and constantly pinching pennies strongly influenced her willingness to accept the security in the 'trophy life' that Jack gave her. But her monologues always indicated that she felt like she never fit in and that it was too much outside of her comfort zone. After a certain point though I found myself growing more frustrated with Agnes' willingness to just accept what was happening even though she was being kept completely in the dark. I get that she believed this new life she had to endure in New York was only temporary but the more she was let down by Jack's disappearance, the more I wished she stood up for and focused on herself. It was obvious that although she got used to the trophy life, she found this new life more within her comfort zone, so what was wrong with that?

I did enjoy Agnes' growth throughout the story although it took much longer than I feel it should've because she couldn't stop worrying about her turd of a husband, Jack. He had such control over her life that every move she made she constantly reflected on what Jack would think of it and it was never, ever positive. He really diminished her potential and it was really quite sad and frustrating to see how she was blind to it. I was really hoping to see more of how Agnes grew through teaching 'her boys', the troublemaking middle schoolers who were pretty annoying at first, but quickly won me over with their antics. I think this would've been a much more uplifting and heart warming read had it given a stronger focus to this part of the story. I also liked the growth that other minor-ish characters experienced and how they came together to support one another in the end!

Overall, it was an entertaining story that saw some satisfying growth in the main character. The ending was quite abrupt and wasn't as satisfying as I'd hoped it would be, but I'm glad that Agnes at least grew more of a back bone to stand up for herself and to reach for the life she wanted to lead. I'm glad that I gave this one a go and I'd be curious to read what Geller comes out with next!
Agnes Parsons has been living a pampered life of a Californian trophy wife. All she has to do is look the part and adore her older husband Jack. The rest is organised by her house staff, including taking care of her baby girl Grace. When Jack disappears, his business associate informs Agnes that while she has no money and no house, a teaching job in a New York middle school for boys has been secured and that is where she has to move. Shocked with this sudden turn of events and such a drastic change in her life situation, Agnes agrees and sets out on a journey across the country. She will have to learn to stand on her own feet and take her own decisions, look after her daughter and herself, and, finally, when Jack does re-appear she will have to question her future with him.
At the beginning Agnes is passive and naive in an exaggerated way, but there is so much growth and development in her character. I loved her relationship with baby Grace and how she manages to become a competent and caring teacher.
Overall, it was a lovely, enjoyable read. I would really like to read another book by Lea Geller.
I went into this book expecting a funny story about a fall from the good life to the hard life... it was so slow at first and Agnes isn't likable, as a spoiled younger wife of a man who controls her, and she doesn't seem to mind that he does. When he gets into a mess and she is forced to move across the country to teach at a boarding school, I like how her character develops. Her friend Beeks is hilarious. This book had a lot of potential and would have been better if the beginning had started off better. The main character Agnes could have been more likable if she wasn't so naive and willing to follow all her husband's whims.

Thank you to NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book started so slow, it took me so long to get into the story. I really thought this book wasn't my cup of tea, but unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the last 40%. In the last 40%, the pacing picked up and I felt like that was where everything was happening. I finally saw some character development and some pieces started to fall into place. It is sad because I think I really could've liked this story if it was more fast-paced during the first 60% of the book. Especially since the story itself was well-written with a nice and, for me, refreshing plot.
Based on the reviews, I wasn’t sure what to expect going in. I agree that the build up was slow. I feel the impatience I felt was offset by the end result I had been craving. I do hope there is a sequel to follow!
You know how sometimes you pick up a book without a lot of expectations and just hoping to be entertained?  That’s how I went into reading this...and was I pleasantly surprised!

I loved Agnes’ story and her resilience after being thrown into a situation that she was not prepared for.

Highly recommend this story.  Thank you NetGalley, publisher and author for providing a free copy of this book.
Agnes has been living the life most would envy, but that life is not what it seems. The husband who has promised to always take care of her has gotten himself into serious financial trouble and they quickly lose everything. Agnes is sent to the Bronx to teach middle school English at a prep school.

Trophy Life is humorous, laugh out loud funny at times. Gotta love Beeks and her honesty...everyone needs a friend like that. It also has unexpected depth and a little bit of mystery. The best part was Agnes's transformation from "trophy wife" to living her best life, even it was significantly different than what she had become accustomed to.

Thank you to the publisher for the advanced copy and my apologies for the late review.
I'm sad to say that this book did not grab me like I hoped it would have. I really like the concept and the characters! However, I just couldn't finish. Agnes' struggle to adjust to life after her husband abandons her struck me as sad and stressful, but also naive. Thank you for the opportunity to review this book!
It was tricky for me to move past the concept of anyone being a "trophy wife", but in order for me to get into this book, that's exactly what I had to do. The term is not my favourite, the concept even worse and I wish it wasn't perpetuated by women and it's ultimately why I give this a 3.5/5 stars. That all said, I appreciate why Lea Geller used it to bring the story to life. This is a book for people who enjoyed reading "I Don't Know How She Does It" by Allison Pearson. Moms doing it all and overcoming major life hurdles is an interesting genre - I almost feel as though it's having a moment.
Such a cute, laugh out loud book. I laughed so hard, yet I was also empowered by this character because she finally stood up for herself and showed her true colors.

Agnes Parsons is a trophy wife. She has a staff to take care of her life, her house, and her newborn daughter, Grace. The only thing that she has to do is her job of a trophy wife. Look gorgeous at all times and be available whenever her older by two decades husband, Jack, beckons her.

When Jack doesn't show up for their monthly massage, he never misses an appointment--he's a control freak. Aggie gets worried. After a few hours with no word, she calls Don, Jack's only friend, who tells her that her husband 's gone. Don also tells her that they are broke. She has to leave her house, sell her diamonds, and move to N.Y. to teach private school. Aggie hasn't taught anything since she married Jack. Her husband's in hiding from dangerous people and she can't even talk to him on the phone.

She drives across country with her six month old, that she's never taken care of alone before and she goes through each and every emotion: sad, mad, scared, etc. When she reached N.Y. and moves into the school housing, she doesn't unpack because she's waiting to go back home. The private boarding school that she's teaching at is for the boys that got kicked out of all the other schools; this school is their last hope. At first the boys hate her, but soon she wins over a few by defending them and actually teaching them something.

Her relationship with Grace is great, watching her crawl and walk for the first time is something that Aggie knew she'd never witness if she was still in California. They become inseparable. She gets impersonal updates on Jack through Don, but nothing else.

When Jack finally calls her, he's living in a 5 star hotel in N.Y. while Aggie and their baby are living in the dorms in the Bronx. That's when she really gets mad and starts to think about the line of "work" her husband is really in; what she finally figures out isn't pretty.

When Jack asks her to do the unthinkable, she has to make a choice. Just her and Grace and a drama-free future or an unreliable, lying husband?

A must read!!
This was such an enjoyable read for me covering motherhood, friendship and self discovery. It was an easy read and i found it hard to put down.
Agnes, a Santa Monica mom and trophy wife is blindsided when her husband doesn’t show up one evening. Her husband Jack lives by his schedule, so Agnes knows something is wrong. Jack disappears leaving Agnes a bizarre set of instructions to head to New York City and take up a teaching job at a boarding school for boys.
Trophy life is about Agnes’s journey in this new phase of her life. The writing and story was clever & funny. Agnes is a super likeable character even though she has her flaws. Agnes gets pushed into doing things she doesn’t want to and I would have loved to see her standup for herself more. Agnes’ story felt so real like she was someone I know. Overall it was a refreshing and entertaining read.
A highly entertaining book. found the dialog funny and on the spot. Trophy Life is about a SoCal wife and a mother. Agnes had a difficult childhood and when she married Jack her fancy problem was finding out a good Yoga class and what is the best green smoothie for breakfast. But on a Tuesday when she has plan to dine with her husband, Jack never shows up…
It is a light read that make you laugh, cry and love at the same time.
Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Now and again i enjoy reading something different from the usual genres that i go for.  Sometimes i discover books that i find myself rather liking and wanting to read more.  To be honest, i struggled with this book and although i did eventually read it from start to finish, i now know that this genre isn't for me.  That is not to say that this was not a well written book, as it was.  For anyone who enjoys a laugh out loud book, then i would urge you to have a read of 'Trophy Life'.

My thanks to Netgalley and the Publishers for my copy.   This is my honest review, freely given.
Overall was a good book, really enjoyed seeing the main character's progress along the story, how she was so focused in pleasing her ''perfect'' husband and how she transformed back to her old self!

As a mum, I am really pleased that in the end of this story, her priorities changed and her daughter became her no. 1 in life.

Lifestyles can define people and in this book we can see how a different way to live(places, opportunities,cars,houses and above all money - or so she thought) make or break someone and so they will become a very different person from their truth essence.

I decided to give 3.5 stars to this book because it was an easy and interesting read although the end didn't really match all my expectations.

Thank you to Net galley for this copy in exchange for an honest review.
This one, unfortunately, fell flat for me. I thought it would be a great book to kick off summer reading based in the premise-but it wasn’t charming, or funny, or any if those things that I look for in these types of books.  I always love reading books about women who find their voice and learn to stand up for themselves, but I just did not connect with any of these characters, and didn’t particularly like any of them either.  Didn’t hate it, but didn’t love it.