Putting Down Roots in Kinsey Falls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Oct 2018

I want to thank NetGalley & Grace Abraham Publishing for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for a fair & honest review.
  This was a short, quick, fun read. But, be aware, this is NOT a cozy mystery. It was listed as a cozy, but it's more chick-lit/romance. There is no crime to solve.
OK, now that we have that out of the way, the book was cozy, in the sense that it was like a warm hug. I think other cozy lovers will enjoy it.
The premise of turning an old shopping mall into apts. for Seniors & YPs ( young professionals) on the upper floor with shopping & restaurants on the main floor is genius! I've seriously thought about writing to our local paper about our all but abandoned mall doing this!
This book is only 130 pages, but the author does a great job of fleshing out both the setting & the main characters.We're given enough info on secondary characters to like them. And they are all unique individuals.
Joanne is the YP who is just looking for family. Greta is the Senior who originally thinks Joanne is up to no good. Not only is Greta a hoot, but she is the heart of Kinsey Falls. I really loved her!
The message of the story, about what family is was made quite clear, but without being cloying or so sickening sweet as to give you cavities.
Take a trip to Kinsey Falls, I think you'll enjoy it. I know I'm looking forward to reading more of this series & I read 90% cozy with the rest being a mix, but mainly true crime ( a real pendulum swing, I know).
If you like silly cute cozy mystery slueth books, you will enjoy this quick read of a story. Greta seems to read more into what is happening when a new person comes to town. If you are looking for deep mystery this isn’t it.
Putting Down Roots in Kinsey Falls by Gayle Leeson is the 2nd book in the Kinsey Falls series. I found this book to be a fun, cute read. Kinsey Falls is an old shopping mall that was converted to apartments for young adult on one side, seniors on the other. There is also shops below the apartments. Joanne Faraday is looking for her birth parents when she comes to Kinsey Falls. Greta Parker  is the leader of a group of senior women called the Silver Sleuths. Greta is convinced that Joanna is casing the place to pull a heist.  I really enjoyed this book and recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a funny heart warming book.   I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Another fun quick story of the happenings in the shopping mall turned retail center, community center, senior and YP housing. My biggest struggle was the shift in main characters between this book and the first one in the series. I am guessing there won't be a central character, but instead these will be vignettes featuring different people who live and work in the Kinsey Falls center. I do really enjoy the interaction between the seniors and the YP (young professionals) and often thought that this re-use of all those now vacant sprawling malls would be ideal! If you have an afternoon to follow the antics of some active seniors and the 20-somethings they seem to be able to keep up with, this is the quick escape for you!
I love these books, it’s a feel good, fun, sweet series. This time around the seniors suspect one of the young professionals at the community living center is up to no good. When they start snooping they discover that she’s actually there looking for her birth parents and desperately seeking a family. Surprisingly they find out she might have a close connection to one of the seniors so they take a dna test. I’ve really enjoyed both of the books in this series and found myself reading as fast as I could to find out the dna results and was holding my breath when she received the information. The scene with Joanne and the dad that raised her was heartbreaking but very true to life and Gayle wrote about it so well. I can’t wait for the next one in the series because I’ve enjoyed so much getting to know this little community in the books and look forward to more.
The second book in Gayle Leeson’s Kinsey Falls series follows new resident Joanne Faraday. Greta and the Silver Sleuths are suspicious of Joanne because she likes to keep secret what she’s doing in the business centre. While Joanne did come to Kinsey Falls in search of a secret, she is not seeking this information out of malicious intent to any of the citizens.

I quite enjoyed this instalment of this charming series. I can’t exactly pinpoint what changed for me between book one and book two but I know I preferred Roots to Hightail It. And Hightail It is not a bad book or an unenjoyable read at all, but in this one, I found the characters more endearing and more relatable and Greta specifically I grew to like as a character and as a person very much. If the author ever writes more books in this series, I know I will eagerly look forward to reading them.
This is a charming novella and a wonderful way to spend the afternoon with eccentric characters. It is a feel-good read with a bit of mystery and romance. Look forward to a follow-up series.
Putting Down  Roots in Kinsey Falls by Gayle Leeson is another lovely read about residents of seniors and YP community.

Well known and much liked characters greet readers with new adventures of Greta, Millie and other golden oldies and their much younger friends.
This time mystery is unraveling as someone is looking for parents, Greta is being matchmaker again and so much more is going on in this charming mixture of cozy read and romance.

If you want to read about love, good and caring people, real life situations, lots of laughs with the little mystery throw in this is the perfect choice.
No foul language, no x rated scenes this charming and sweet book with a feel good vibe is a right choice for both young readers and older ones as well.
Joanne Farraday's adoptive parents were older when they decided to grow their family. Now her mother is gone and her father has descended into Alzheimer's. She knows that her birth mother is also dead so Joanne goes to her mother's home town to see if she might have any other living family. But she's setting off alarm bells. The reading group, the Silver Sleuths, have decided that, with all the questions she's asking, she must be up to no good.
This was a surprisingly short story (around 100 pages) and that made it harder for the characters to really develop but there was a nice story arc and some set ups for further books in the series.

Three stars