In the Key of Nira Ghani

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2019

Honestly, I didn't read this book, but I want to explain why. I knew 2 pages in this wasn't a book for me. I know we all bring the context of our lives to every book we read. In the context of my life, I can't stand certain things, like cow eyeballs. So squeamish! I just can't read it. So, unfortunately I didn't continue.
At the beginning of this book I couldn't really stand Nira. I thought she grew within the story and had to deal with a lot because of her parents expectations and her race.
A great addition to middle grade fiction.
This book is a hidden gem! It is the story of the brown-skinned immigrant child trying to fit in but still please the parents. Nira is Indian, from Guyana, living in Canada. She loves jazz music but her parents want her to be a doctor. She also feels pressure fr9m her rich cousins and from being the only brown child in school.  She is a wonderful protagonist!
It would be nice if the PDF was not a bunch of blank pages. I still love the concept though. These type of stories are important.
A gorgeously-written book that delivers a powerful message. With a multilayered protagonist, lyrical writing, and a captivating plot; this book will enthrall you. This novel deals with an important issue and handles the nuances of marginalized culture. I highly recommend!
Such a powerful novel with such a strong message. This book reminded me a lot of The Hate You Give for the theme of standing up for what you believe is right and fighting for your dreams. Nira's tenacity and bravery is very inspiring and motivating to the young reader in teaching them to pick their battles and fight until the very end. The world is what you make it.

Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. This will be definitely considered for our YFiction collection at the library. That is why we give this book 5 stars.