Watching You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 26 Dec 2018

This book was captivating from the very beginning. Fantastic character development and intriguing plot lines. A must read for the year, Jewell never disappoints!
Welcome to Melville heights , and upscale neighbourhood in Bristol. Where doctors and people with old money live . Not where people get murdered in their kitchens and everyone has a secret .
  Tom Fitzwilliam is the headmaster of the school that he has turned around . Everyone thinks he is great some more then others . His new neighbour Joey has a crush on the dapper headmaster but is there more to this man then he lets on . Between his son spying on him and Jennifer tripp and her mother nosey around . What is going on  .
  This book is full of complex characters , we have Tom Fitzwilliam , he is dapper and kind a sexy in his own way , but there is also a darkness to him. You really can't trust him  and you just don't know what to think of him at times
 I will say my favourite character is Freddie , he is the spy of the neighbourhood , he watches everyone and keeps tabs on the going on of the street . He is interested in the girls that seem to have a crush on his dad . There are so many characters that will keep you wondering who actually did the murder .
  This story had me hooked from the second chapter . I love the way the author weaves a tale . We start off with a murder and then we jump back two months before and we try to unravel who did it . The author throws so many twists and turns that will you guess until you reach the end . Trust me you will be reading all night long . I couldn't put it down I needed to know who did the murder . You will love the characters and the story will have you thinking and shaking your head a few times . This is a great story for an evening read . Check it out .
Lisa Jewell is such a beautiful thriller writer. Her books are nothing at all like anything else I've ever read and it leaves me unable to put the book down until I've figured out what happens next.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley.  Thank you to the Author, the Publisher and Netgalley.  This is the third book that I have read by Lisa Jewell, and I enjoyed it.  I gave the book 3.5 stars.  Even though there were a lot of twists and turns in the last half of the book, the first half didn't move very quickly, and was a bit confusing.  I didn't start to feel connected to the characters until the end of the book.  I will definitely read more of Lisa Jewell's books, this one just wasn't my favorite.
Whowee what a read! I honestly can’t get enough of Lisa Jewell books!! She sure knows how to write a suspenseful novel. I found Watching You to be quite a brain teasing psychological mystery. At the start of the story, we know someone has been murdered but we don’t know who or why? The plot takes us down a windy path with various scenarios as to what could be the plausible truth.

I was gripped from the first chapter and enjoyed puzzling my way along. This plot, however, was much different from her last book.Then She Was Gone. No tears or uncontrollable emotions in this one. It’s all about the suspense and mystery..

This is a quick and engaging read that folks, who like psychological thrillers, will most likely get swept up in.. I will definitely be reading more from this author!
Lisa Jewell is an author who has been on my radar for a long time but I just haven’t managed to pick up one of her books yet. After reading Watching You, I think I might have to start reading her previous works. I am a fan!

I find that a lot of thrillers are slow to start and it usually takes me a while to really get into the story but Jewell managed to pull me in right from the very beginning. Short chapters, a plotline that keeps you guessing and multiple POV’s make this book one that you just don’t want to put down.

While the suspense was very real and the storyline was quite complex, I did find the story pretty predictable. Now, most of the time predictability in a thriller will ruin it for me but I still really enjoyed this book. Rather than being bored after figuring it out, I think I was more inclined to continue to see if I was right and that is what really made the book for me. Anyone can write a mysterious plotline but a good writer can immerse the reader and I was deeply immersed.

The characters didn’t thrill me as much as I had hoped. They were complicated but a bit on the dry side for my taste. Everyone was just so serious all the time. The one character that saved it for me, though, was Freddie. He was just so awkward and deeply disturbing that I think he set the tone for the book more than the actual events. I looked forward to his narration more than anyone else’s, if I’m being perfectly honest here.

Quick paced and compelling, Jewell knows how to tell a gripping tale. I look forward to reading more of her books.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book to read and give my honest opinion.
Thanks to Netgalley for my copy.

Another good book by this author. A well developed plot with memorable characters. I know I like a book when there are some unlikable character I love to hate and there are several in this story.
I had been reading so many 4 and 5 star ratings for "Watching You" by Lisa Jewell that I was getting worried. I find that if my expectations are so high, that I am often disappointed. I need not to have worried. Lisa Jewell penned a very good psychological thriller that I had a hard time putting down. She develops her characters slowly, dropping tidbits about their lives so you get to know them as if you have met them. In this story, the area called Melville Heights is home to the various people who populate this story. From students and their families, neighbours who are a bit off and the headmaster, Tom, and his family there is quite a group of them and several of them are watching one another. Why are they watching? They have their reasons. At the centre of the story is Tom Fitzwilliam, the hot shot teacher who's come to town to clean up a troubled school. As he works on making the school good again, he is making the ladies swoon. For some reason his charm, wit and fairly run-of-the-mill dad looks appeal to everyone, making the females weak in the knees and the males wishing they were him. Everyone that is, except Jenna Tripp and her mother who know Tom Fitzwilliam is up to no good. Jenna’s best friend Bess however, is another story and obsession is putting her feelings towards Mr. Fitzwilliam lightly.

I enjoyed this character driven psychological thriller. It was a quick, fun and fast-paced story.  The story starts with a bang, a murder scene and then we weave through the lives of the characters until we find out who the murderer is. I enjoyed this plot, and loved how all of these characters in the neighborhood are linked together with invisible, twisty, threads. It's a slow build with just the exact amount of mystery to keep you turning the pages. I thought I had it all figured out based on the clever hints and clues dropped throughout the book and I was partially correct, but oh that final twist, I did not see that coming. Unfortunately, I have one niggle and that is the epilogue. It ties up all the loose ends in a "nice" way that I just didn't think was necessary. It felt very rushed to me. If it wasn't for that, this would have been a 5 star read for me instead of 4.5 stars.. Every Lisa Jewell book I read, cements her higher on my list of favourite authors. The publisher, Atria Books, generously provided me with a copy of this book to read upon my request. The rating, opinions and ideas are my own.
Fantastic book.  Just when you thought you know what was going to happen, you found yourself sadly mistaken.
I've had a long-standing love affair with Lisa Jewell's books for 20 years, and for good reason. Her story-telling abilities are wonderful, her characters effortlessly pull me into their lives, making me want to know everything about them. It was no different with Watching You. Right from the beginning I could tell everyone had secrets, and things weren't as they seemed. Another great book, and I can't wait for Lisa's next one.
5 out of 5 stars
by Maggie
Another well written suspenseful story
I really am enjoying Lisa Jewell's novels, and her latest, Watching You is superb.  Very suspenseful, but not gory, a well-crafted  and very well written novel.  I could hardly put it down, finished it up on an international flight BEFORE even starting on the meal in front of me!
This is a twisted story about people stalking other people and obsessing about them. It’s maddening. I felt dirty reading about it, I felt bad for all those who didn’t even know they have been watched.

I received an early copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
A few chapters in I thought this book was going to be too much like the Girl on the Train. Joey seemed like she was going to be a similar character to Rachel. A little farther in and that was not the case and I was so pleased. There were so many different opinions and rumours swirling around Mr Fitzwilliam it was fun to form my theories and try to figure out which was truth and which had weight to them. How easy it is to condemn someone for a few misleading rumours.
Really great book
I loved this book!

The chapters were short which made the book a quick read. I read it in one day! It was fast paced too, with important plot points in every chapter.

Even though there were many characters, it was easy to follow them. All of their lives were woven together, but it wasn’t obvious at the beginning. I loved the way that the story slowly unfolded until the end.

It took a long time for me to figure out who was the victim and who did the crime. I figured it out just before it was revealed. It wasn’t an obvious crime, but it made sense.

This is a great thriller!
4 stars!

A tense, secretive and twisty story that had me guessing until the end.

This is my third Lisa Jewell book and she continues to impress me.  I love how addictive, fast paced and gripping her novels are.   I just can’t seem to put them down once I start the first chapter.   Her storylines are current, suspenseful and highly intriguing.

There are several characters in this book, all are well developed with perfectly timed introductions, leaving no room for confusion.  The plot largely focuses on Josephine (Joey) Mullen who lives with her new husband in her brother and sister-in-laws’ house in a well-respected neighbourhood.    They are trying to find steady jobs and get settled before finding a place of their own.   We meet several of their neighbours, with chapters alternating between many of their perspectives.   Each perspective brought a new layer of suspense and allure, each with a hint of secrecy that could possibly connect the intricate pieces of this puzzle together.  The title says it all – “Watching You” – this applies to many scenarios throughout this fast paced and highly addictive novel.

This was a Traveling Sister read that was a hit for everyone!  I recommend getting your hands on a copy of this title along with any others you can find by this author.   I look forward to reading more from her.

Thank you to NetGalley, Atria and Lisa Jewell for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Thank you NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for this ARC.

This was a really weird soap opera kind of mystery.
There are so many characters and strange quirks in all of them that it pulled focus a bit and took me longer than I care to admit to figuring out who the killer was.
Once I had it figured out all the pieces fit together and I was horrified that I hadn't seen it sooner.
This is something I like in Lisa Jewll's writing, the misdirection she gives in all her books.
Very clever Ms. Jewell, very clever indeed.

P.S
I absolutely adored that strange kid Freddie!
Watching You book review - no spoilers -
I flew through this one. An excellent thriller from Lisa Jewell. There were lots of twists and turns with enough characters to keep you guessing but not too many where you can find yourself confused.
A brief synopsis:
When newly married couple Joey and her husband Alfie move in with her brother and his wife after returning from living overseas they expected to experience some tension but that it would mostly be smooth sailing. What Joey didn't plan for was the alluring man two doors down. The complete opposite of her husband, she's drawn to him no matter how much she tries not to be. However, it turns out she's not the only one and it's not all for the same reason. This neighborhood is full of secrets and you better be on your best behaviour because someone is always watching.
So, the only thing keeping this from a 5 star review for me is how one of the relationships went at the end. It's like the author just got preoccupied wrapping everyone else's storyline up and then went " oh yeah, this character was doing this and then this happened so the end!"
I highly recommend this to fans of Jewell's previous work plus those who enjoyed other thrillers like The Woman in the Window, Gone Girl, and The Woman in Cabin 10.
Thank you to #netgalley, #atriabooks and #simonandschuster for the advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review. I highly enjoyed this one!!
After reading and absolutely loving I Found You and Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell this year, I was anxious to read her new novel, Watching You. The book starts with a bang : a murder. We don't know what happened or who the victim even is. Immediately you want to keep reading!

What threw me off after the first chapter was the number of characters and the different POVs. It took me a little while to put everyone together and fully understand what was going on and enjoy the book. I think the reader should set a big enough amount of reading time to be able to read a big chunk of the book in one sitting in order to better understand the story quickly. The reader needs to pay attention!

Although, after getting the characters sorted out, I really enjoyed the book. The author did a great job in keeping the reader interested and guessing. It is also very well written. I am definitely a big fan of Jewell and will be looking forward to all her future work!

I really enjoyed this book and will recommend it to anyone who loves a great well written, characters driven thriller. It is set to be published on December 26th.

Thank you NetGalley and Atria Books for my copy in exchange for an honest review.
No surprise that Lisa Jewel has written a new book and no surprise that I rushed to pick up Watching You. When you pump out a book as often as it seems Jewel does, I suppose not all of them can knock you off your feet. This book wasn’t bad, but it didn’t grip me like I Found You, Girls in the Garden, Then She Was Gone, or my favourite, The House We Grew Up In.

I couldn’t really find a character I related to, which never starts me off on the right foot. Joey seeeds too naive and lost and puppy dog in love with her older and distinguished neighbour, despite being a newlywed, and while I’m all for understanding a fantasy and an escape, the way she obsessed about him without even really knowing him turned me off.

The peeping Tom son of the neighbour, the guy who seems to be constantly watching everyone, was also off putting, though I don’t suppose we are supposed to warm to him always spying on the women in the neighbourhood. But as he was a pivotal point of view in the story, I had a hard time embracing his character.

I also had a hard time getting into it. The first part of the book spent a lot of time with Joey lusting after the neighbour and not a lot really happening other than this instant tension and attraction growing between them. They both found each other intriguing but honestly, neither of them seemed interesting at all and I couldn’t believe that they’d be so fascinated with the other.

Finally, into the last half of the book, things started to pick up. The pieces started to come together and though they weren’t that hard to match up and I had no problem telling where things were going before they book got there, the payoff was worth it and I actually enjoyed the ending. It redeemed a lot of the drag I felt getting there, but sadly it wasn’t enough for me to feel much about the book as a whole.
Thank you to NetGalley and Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with an eARC of Watching You in exchange for an honest review.

This was not my first Lisa Jewell, but it was my first that hooked me right away. The pacing of this one was perfect. That feeling of being watched was with me the whole time I was reading this, like an eerie companion, it was a really cool reading experience. I enjoyed the connections between the seemingly random people in the community and the way each part of this plot was complex and not exactly what it seemed. This was just a really good thriller and I'm excited to recommend this to people who love suspense and secrets.