Super Sons: The PolarShield Project

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Apr 2019

While I was excited for this particular novel, as a fan of the original Super Sons run in Rebirth, I felt ultimately let down. The author's unfamiliarity with the DC canon felt like a detriment and I missed a lot of the kids' interactions with their respective dads as well as the shaky grounds on which Damian or "Ian" and Jon formed their friendship. Hopefully the sequel will cover more of their friendship and family moments, but I don't think this series will be for me.
In this middle grade book we meet the young sons of Batman and Superman and they team up to save the world. We also meet characters like Candace (shown on the front cover and probably a major player in the story) and Tilly (not shown on the cover), but we learn very little about them. The bits we do learn are confusing. The book bounces around quite a bit adding to my confusion. I feel there are elements of a good story in there, but it hasn’t gotten there yet. Perhaps with additional books out in the series pieces will start to fit together. Artwork is okay. Story line is mostly okay. Character development is found lacking. The author freely admits to not knowing the DC universe and it shows.

Rating: 2.75 out of 5 stars

I was given a copy of this book by Netgalley in return for an honest review.
I appreciate having had an opportunity to read and review this book. The appeal of this particular book was not evident to me, and if I cannot file a generally positive review I prefer simply to advise the publisher to that effect and file no review at all.
So, the Polar Caps have nearly melted, flooding a lot of this world's fictional US.

Bruce Wayne's company has built leevees, but, even those are being stressed to the max. And then comes this Polar Shield Project that will supposedly raise the temperatures again. But, is there something else going on too?

Jon and Ian (don't call him Damian) are on the case. With the help of Tilly and Candace too.

At the beginning there was a warning about how the characters would be different (I assume Ridley Pearson wanted to make them his own, or maybe it was DC's idea) But, even with the warning it was still a little jarring for this lifelong DC reader. Some of the TPB just felt totally off to me. Maybe I'll read it again and see if that feeling goes away.

I received this book via Netgalley thanks to DC Entertainment.
Brace yourselves, I have opinions here. Look, I loved Tomasi's Super Sons, ok? And this new series is spitting on everything that made Super Sons great. Damian "Ian" Wayne (whose hatred of his given name is never explained, nor why on earth he would have been given such a white bread nickname in the first place) is a jerk -- which, yes, he's a jerk in every continuity, but he doesn't have Damian's redeeming qualities. We don't get to see his love of animals, or his desire to please his father, or his conflicted relationship with his mother, or anything at all with his siblings. He's a disrespectful asshole to Patience, who has replaced Alfred (is Alfred dead in this continuity?) and is just overall really unappealing. Other people have already written about the initial whitewashing of his character design, and while his skin tone is darker than was shown in previews, that's literally all that was done to fix the problem. Jon Kent is introduced in a scene where he's *complaining about his parents helping people*, and if there's a bigger misunderstanding of his character in all of the DC Universe, I'd like to know what it is. Then there are two new female characters who get almost zero introduction and they're fighting over Jon's attention because why would you have TWO girls in a story if not so they can fight over a boy. The actual plot is a mess. I'm all in favor of raising awareness of climate change but this book is terrible. The art is the one redeeming quality -- as mentioned above, I'm not crazy about Damian's character design but overall there's a coherent sort of cartoony style that works for this age group.
I always enjoy reading About the two most well known superheroes off springs . This one is timely and has an environmental crisis that needs to be solved . They become friends with Candace who has a mystery of her own . Enjoyable story and stellar artwork . This story is perfect for younger readers as well as hard core DC fans
The overall story for Super Sons was interesting, but there was too much going on to follow all the threads and it was very choppy (maybe NetGalley has a bad version - it was so choppy I almost believe that). The female characters were bland enough to be forgettable, I can't remember either of their names. We only view the "African Princess" background story through one or two lines, and that was probably one of the most interesting parts of this whole book. Who are the 5? Who was her mother? How much does she know, and how does she get her memories back?
The sons of Superman and Batman meet up in this Cli-Fi graphic novel. In a world where the polar ice caps have already melted and tons of refugees from flooded areas have to be resettled, tensions are running high. Many who live in the areas where "floodies" are relocating feel resentful and angry at the crowding and strain on resources. With Clark, Lois, and Bruce off to investigate matters, the kids are left in town and decide to do some research of their own.

In this version of the DC Universe, Ian Wayne and Jon Kent don't know each other. But they manage to find each other at school and begin an adventure looking into recent outbreaks of a strange flu that lands people in the hospital with a coma. Could there be a link between the victims and can a few kids working on the school newspaper find it? Jon and intern Tilly meet up with Ian and the mysterious Candace, who is researching old legends related to the legacy her mother left her.

With the adults out of town, or out of commission, can four kids with various skills uncover a widespread conspiracy and stop the damage before it is too late?

Both young men wrestle with the responsibility of their abilities. Jon has promised not to use his strength to fight or to hurt others. Ian has all the wealth and resources of Wayne Enterprises at his command, but will he use them ethically? And what will Candace do with her legacy? Her mother told her that, "Power is nothing without compassion." What power was she referring to and does Candace now have it?

There are multiple threads of intrigue and storyline to keep readers guessing and coming back for more. There is also plenty of humor. For instance, Ian's secret identity as BatKid complete with a baseball bat and a baseball studded with nails for weapons. "BatKid. Isn't it obvious?" he asks.

Recommended for readers middle grade and up who enjoy superheroes and graphic novels.
In a slightly distant future, the sons of Superman and Batman are dealing with a world that has a lot of problems. The polar ice caps are melting, and the cities along the coasts are flooding and uninhabitable, despite the efforst of the Wayne Corporation to install flood walls. There is a plan to install a shield of dust over the ice caps, and Superman is recruited, so must spend time away from his family. Jon Kent and his mother relocate inland (as does the Daily Planet), where Jon is given a hard time by local kids who don't want to see "flood runners" in their neighborhood. Damian (call him IAN, please!) Wayne is struggling with the fact that his own father has to go to China to try to work out bugs in the flood walls. When Jon's mother becomes sick with a mysterious malady, the two boys team up with Tilly and Candace (who has some mythical ancestry/powers) to try to solve it. The ice cap issue is being repaired, but there are plenty of evil forces at work for the group to fight. This is the first book in a proposed series, and ends in a cliff hanger.
Strengths: It's hard to get the format for middle grade graphic novels right, but this does. The amount of text on the page is perfect, and the font a bit larger than other graphic novels, which helps with the reluctant readers who frequently pick these up. The science/environmental tie in is a good one, and it's nice to see Batman and Superman off fighting climate change. Of course, this leaves their sons to save the rest of the world in good, unsupervised tween fashion.
Weaknesses: The graphic novel format does not lend itself to deeply developed characters or plot. I love Pearson's writing and was hoping for a good new adventure book, so I was a bit disappointed. While I had no idea that Jon and Damian were established characters, they apparently appear in comic books, and Damian is of Arabic/Asian descent.(https://butwhythopodcast.com/2018/08/04/damian-wayne-isnt-white/) Clearly, this is problematic in the greater scheme of things if you know the story already. I would have been completely clueless if I hadn't read Goodreads reviews. I just didn't understand why he was so nasty. The son of Batman is evil? Not getting that.
What I really think: If Follett does a prebind of this, I will purchase it, but I was clearly not the target demographic. This left me with way more questions than it answered.
Thanks for this ARC. I liked the introduction of the new character, a female person of color. The storyline was fast-paced and sometimes difficult to follow. There was a lot thrown out there but there wasn't much about the background of the new character. I hope the next book in the series slows down to focus on the characters. The plot seemed scattered. Despite these flaws, the book should still appeal to the middle-grade audience.
This book is a great hook for readers of DC comics who want something new, like the sons of Bat Man and Super Man joining forces to save Lois Lane and the world. The book takes into consideration that we are destroying out Polar Ice Caps and that drones are a viable technology transit source. My only criticism is that just as I was getting into the book, I now have to wait for book two... to be continued!
Jonathan Kent wants to be like his father, Clark Kent, aka Superman, and he is, more than anyone other than his parents, knows.  Ian Wayne is already a lot like his father, except with too much arrogance and a lack of experience.  But their world is in serious trouble with flooding and other devastating events occurring more and more frequently.  In an effort to help, Superman leaves Earth on a mission to Mars, and Bruce Wayne heads for Asia.  This leaves the two boys to their own devices, especially when Jonathan's mother is struck down by a mysterious malady.  The two combine forces with two girls, Tilly and Candace (who appears to have powers of her own), to track down the source of the malady, and stop it's spread.  This graphic novel is full of excitement and adventure as these budding heroes seek to save the world.  Like many graphic novels the focus is on plot and not on character development, but middle grade readers aren't likely to care overly much.  The art works well for the graphic novel format and the coloring is nice.  The book does end on a major cliffhanger, but there is a bit of an ending.  Young readers will most likely be eagerly awaiting the sequel as am I.  This is the sort of book that is intended solely for entertainment though so don't go into it expecting a whole lot of depth.
Interesting dynamics as the next generation of superheroes is in middle school. Superman and Batman's sons struggle to be like their famous fathers and to establish their own identifies too. Two strong females are also introduced. Hints to Candace's back story are provided.
Book one in a series.
Universal relationship themes.
Hmm. Well I love this creative approach for these characters. I love these characters for a very long time and I just don't know how to give an objective review as I have previously fallen in love with these characters.  I t just did not feel like an authentic representation of these characters I have met and fallen in love with.
Teenaged Jon Kent, son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, and Ian Wayne, son of Bruce Wayne, team up to investigate a mysterious illness befalling many people--including Jon's mom Lois. The story takes place in a future version of Metropolis and other towns in the DC Universe, after global warming has caused massive flooding (Wayne Enterprises is in charge of a giant floodwall, for example). The two girl characters we meet are Tilly and Candace--but Candace has a secret princess backstory that makes her more interesting. There's some basic snooping around and lots of cool action as our kid heroes get involved with a creepy gang that's up to no good, sabotage, etc. I LOVE the artwork, it's a great comic yet semi-manga-style of art, in full color with crisp lines, almost tv-cartoony, just how I like it. :-) It was fun to see the impetuous, temper-prone Ian having to work with the more calm super-powered Jon. They both admire their fathers and want to be like them, but yet strike out as their own separate heroes.
Meet the kid relations of some of our kids favorite super heroes., watch them grow into their own powers and forge a friendship based on trust and the belief that sometimes kids can listen and do more than is believed of them. The graphic drawings tell as much of the story as do the dialogue.
This book just set the series back, but not in a good way. For one thing, it feels like all the magic was sucked out of the room. Where's the banter, the childish hilarious immaturity I've grown so fond of? The bright and colorful detail? Poof! It vanished into dull, adult oriented comics with flat characters and minimal detail.. These are comic book characters who act like adults. They shouldn't be drawn as kids.
I liked it. I've not been a life-long DC fan, but I /was/ a very hardcore Marvel fan growing up, and I'm glad to say that I've never been one of the gate-keeping elitists who believes that things /must/ be a certain way and can never be open to re-interpretation. There's new geography, but the crossover is familiar to any DC fan, old or new; Batman and Superman team up, as do their sons, only this time Damian (Ian) Wayne and Jonathan (Jon) Kent are slightly different versions of themselves (Damian is a lot dorkier and more endearing, Jonathan is a normal kid over a mildly dopey sweet pea). The role climate change and human-caused problems play in the narrative is aces for me, I LOVE giving kids exposure to their "good citizen of the world" needs early. I wish it had continued beyond where it left off, but that's how graphic novels get you. It was very enjoyable, I was delighted to find it in the ARC box when I got to work this morning
This is a fresh take on the super hero story, and it turned out awesome I wasn't ready for it to end. Now that the coastal cities are flooded and the ice packs are melting two unlikely boys come together and become friends, along with a strange girl named Candice, the boys learn to work together to save the town they both now live in and more.  Batman's son ( Ian) and Superman's son (Jon) team up in this the first installment of the Super Sons and it is one not to be missed, this is a great graphic novel and I can't wait for more I hope I get to review the next one as well.

This will appear on my blog April 2nd
This was a cute refreshing look of the future with Batman and Superman's Super SONS. Damian and Jon admire their dads and want to help save Jon's mom (Lois Lane).  Cute art and banter between the group of friends working together.  The pacing is a little fast and a lot of the story is still a mystery but it shows promise. I can't wait to read more.