The Flatshare

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 May 2019

It’s time for Tiffy to find a new apartment. She’s broken up with her ex-boyfriend, again, and since he’s moved in a new girlfriend she has to leave but the problem is her meager salary doesn’t allow her to be very choosy so when she sees an ad to share a flat and a bed, not at the same time, she thinks that must be the perfect solution.

Leon didn’t want a flat mate but his brother needs his help and if it means sharing his bed then that’s ok. It shouldn’t be too hard to manage as he works the night shift at the long term care home and he can spend his weekends with his girlfriend.

Neither Tiffy’s friends nor Leon’s girlfriend think this arrangement is going to work but Tiffy moves in and the pair are having an easy time communicating via post-its. Leon thinks it’s funny that he’s having a lot of conversations via the little notes and is actually growing used to them and looks forward to Tiffy’s notes about the flat, the neighbors, books she’s reading and everything else in between. Funny how much you can learn about a person.

Eventually Tiffy needs a bit of help getting away from her emotionally abusive ex-boyfriend and this may mean the Tiffy and Leon will finally meet.

I really enjoyed reading about the development of Tiffy and Leon’s relationship. The story is told from both POVs so I thought that was a perfect way to show each of their personalities and quirks.
{ @flatiron_books #partner }
@betholearyauthor’s THE FLATSHARE is an enchanting story that is just as delightful as its cover.
Tiffy Moore and Leon Twomey are Londoners both looking to save money. Tiffy desperately needs to move out of her toxic ex-boyfriend’s place and Leon is looking for a roommate. The catch is Leon placed a rather bizarre add for a flatshare where both occupants share one bed. Leon works the nightshift and is away most weekends but sharing a bed with a total stranger is a bit unnerving, even if you never see each other. Tiffy is on a very tight budget so this turns out to be the best option she has. So what does she do? She goes for it! Now we all know what’s going to happen here but trust me, it’s totally worth your time because the premise is so original and 100% full of adorable.
I am such a fan of writers that add something extra to the narrative, such as letters, texts, DMs, and in this case, the cutest post-it notes! The two main characters are endearing and fantastic to read, but the side characters are too! The group of friends are fun and quirky - I just loved them all! But the story isn’t all unicorns and sunshine as there are themes of emotional abuse, gaslighting, and trauma. This story is the perfect blend of romance, hilarious, sweet, moving, and entertaining.
A quick, fun and easy read.  Mostly light hearted and fun.  Would recommend to anyone who likes romance.
Love love love love! This book was British perfection. Quirky characters, hilarious banter, and a swoon worthy love story. I couldn’t put this down. Beth O’Leary also did an amazing job handling the topic of abuse and the journey Tiffy went on to heal. Leon is my new book boyfriend. This one is also low on steam so perfect for those who like romance but don’t want too much sexy stuff. Highly recommend!
This book surprised me. Beth O’Learly’s debut novel, The Flatshare, is a refreshing, quirky and engaging rom-com. The romance is perfect. Tiffy and Leon build a relationship through post-it note conversations. Ahhh! All the characters are larger than life, realistic and relatable. This is the most heart-warming story I have read this year. I LOVED IT!
3.5 Stars

It took me about 60-70 pages to get into this, but once I did I thoroughly enjoyed this heartfelt contemporary novel. What I thought would be a cute and quirky romance turned into a novel about rediscovering oneself, friendship, and trust. I loved the slow burn of the romance, especially because Tiffy had such a toxic relationship prior to this. Both she and Leon have things going on in their personal lives and their support of each other was sweet and amazing.

Tiffy and Leon’s relationship starts when she begins sharing his flat, although they never meet. She gets the nights and he gets the days. They form a friendship through notes left for the other and when they eventually meet it becomes something more.

I’d recommend for all contemporary fans even if you don’t particularly like romance as that isn’t really the focal point.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
TIFFY & LEON ARE THE DEFINITION OF COUPLE GOALS. The Flatshare was an unexpected favorite of mine. Super fast paced, easy read. I couldn’t put it down. This book talks about emotionally abusive  relationships and gaslighting which I feel we’re handled very well. Overall, I give this book a 4.5 stars.
Beth O'Leary's debut The Flatshare is hands down one of my TOP READS of the year. This book was THE. CUTEST. I absolutely ate up every single page and am so sad it's over!
I loved the idea, but I hated how Leon's chapters were written. The characters were also very flat and boring to me, and the book did not keep my interest. I tried really hard, but I ended up not finishing this book and will not be posting an official review online as a result.
I adored this novel .. Flatshare was a break in between reading a few thrillers, and I could not of picked a better book to get my mind into another genre..  Full disclosure I do not read romantic books of any kind and its not really my thing ..Flat share is a novel that could change my mind on that    Tiffy needs an apartment after a bad breakup and ends up moving into Leons  flat ( without them meeting )   their arrangement is that she gets the bed and apt while hes at work, and vis versa  .. Tiffy and Leon  start  communicating through sticky notes (which made my smile because its how I conveyed things  I couldn't in person )     no spoliers but the characters are were so cute and made the novel   Kuddos to Beth O' Leary for making me fall for a novel whos genre I don't like
Ah... contemporary rom-coms are my jam, jelly AND peanut butter!  While we all know I'm an avid thriller lover, books like The Flatshare are the bright spots in between.  I do find them highly predictable but it's not what's important in books like these.  It's the journey, the laughs, the quirky characters - especially when we have the (typical) dynamic of the eccentric woman with an more demure and introverted man.  Hello opposites attract.  But O'Leary gives us this formula in this unique Flatshare scene where they're sharing a bed without meeting for months and learning about each other through post-its. AH-DOR-ABLE!

These books aren't so much about where the book will go because they tend to be pretty predictable and you know where the ending will go.  It's more about being on the journey with these characters and falling in love with them along the way.  The author also brings in the subject of abusive relationships which, in this case, is not physical but emotional and phew... that's a tough subject to discuss and can sometimes leave a bigger mark than the physical.  Been there so there have been some moments that certainly resonated with me.

The only thing I found a bit bothersome was the back and forth of quotation marks to none.  Though it didn't bother me outright in a "difficult to read" kind of way, it was just inconsistent and as a person who reads law documents all day at work, consistency is something that I notice.  Just a very little picky thing for my own personal liking. (and also could just be something in the arc)

What I loved best was the quirky Tiffy and her banter with her friends and with her flatmate, Leon.  So many giggly moments and I would certainly recommend this to anyone that needs something feel good and a little laugh in their lives.  The story has a lot of heart.
I found the writing distracting more often than not. I love the concept and the potential for a sweet love story is there, but especially during his narration, I was too easily distracted and lost my train of thought.
A rom-com seasoned with a bit of drama, The Flatshare is the quintessential story of boy-meets-girl, boy-falls-in-love-with-girl but with a twist: the two main characters have never actually met.
When a devastating breakup leaves her with no place to live, Tiffy Moore has to settle for sharing an apartment with Leon, a night-shift nurse who is looking for a roommate who will not be there at the same time he is.
But then Tyffy and Leon start communicating with notes, first about nuances regarding the apartment, and later about their lives. As they become closer and an attraction between them develops, Tiffy and Leon know that once they meet in person they'll definitely know if what they have on paper, is also real outside their shared apartment.
A fun and fast-read with complex but relatable characters.
Everyone was raving about this book so I was really excited to start it! But something wasn't right for me. I think it’s the dialogue I can’t seem to get into, specifically Leo’s. The premise of the story is really interesting and fresh, but just not something that called out to me.
I adored this book! It was so unique in the idea of two people being roommates but never having actually seen each other. It gave me you've got mail vibes which I absolutely love! It's so much more romantic to me to have two people fall in love based on words, personality and heart rather then looks and attraction that is so uncommon in this day and so is the art of note and letter writing. A handwritten letter or note is so personal and sweet I think it's something that should be used more often and it was so refreshing to see that used in this romance story. I loved every second of this charming heartfelt and at times laugh out loud funny book Tiffy and Leon are two characters that will stick with me a long time!
Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they’re crazy, but it’s the perfect solution: Leon occupies the one-bed flat while Tiffy’s at work in the day, and she has the run of the place the rest of the time. But with obsessive ex-boyfriends, demanding clients at work, wrongly imprisoned brothers and, of course, the fact that they still haven’t met yet, they’re about to discover that if you want the perfect home you need to throw the rulebook out the window. Tiffy and Leon begin their relationship through post-it notes. And what starts off as flatmates may just turn into something more. review: I thought this book was absolutely adorable. Tiffy and Leon are both quirky, but highly likeable characters and I found myself rooting for each of them throughout the book. I loved the concept of a flatshare & them communicating through post-it notes without ever meeting. While this is certainly a meet-cute romance it dives into some deeper points like consent and gaslighting in relationships, the broken prison system, and the value of self-care. I enjoyed the alternating POV and the short chapters, making for a cute and quick read! The one thing that did bug me a bit was the script style of writing at some parts - I eventually got over it but at first it was a little frustrating and tough to follow at times. rating: 4 out of 5 ⭐️
Charming and emotionally satisfying. When Tiffy’s boyfriend breaks up with her yet again, she needs somewhere cheap to live. An unusual ad for a roommate catches her eye, and soon she’s living in Leon’s apartment...and sleeping in his bed.

But it’s not what you think—Tiffy and Leon have never even met. He works as a night nurse, she works during the day, so they share the flat in shifts, agreeing to remain strangers.

But then the note writing starts. And making food for each other. Soon they’re becoming friends via post it, and getting involved in each other’s lives. Could they be friends in real life, too?

I loved this book. It wasn’t quite what I expected, but in the best ways. The narrative is told in alternating first person, and the author does a good job of writing their voices differently. Their friends and family are lovely, too.
Solid 5 stars!! I kept reading great reviews of this book so I was thrilled when I received an advanced reader's copy of The Flatshare. The cover is misleading, the pastels make it look like a rom-com type book and that is not accurate. This book tackles very serious themes, including death, emotional abuse, stalking and even a wrongful conviction. Some of the reviews said the book was somewhat epistolary, but I also don't agree with that. There are post-it notes here and there, and even some transcript style exchanges between the characters, but the book read mostly in narrative form. That being said, I adored all of the characters. They felt like real people I was getting to know and now that the book is done I miss them! I could have kept reading about their lives for much longer. This book is a solid 5 stars for me and I can't wait to read what this author writes next!

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my Advanced Readers Copy in exchange for my honest review!*
I absolutely loved this book. It was incredibly original and the characters were easy to love. O'Leary knows how to write and cheeky and quirky rom-com with a lot of heart and emotion.
All it took was hearing the basic bones of the premise of Beth O'Leary's debut novel The Flatshare for me to determine I would absolutely be reading it as soon as I possibly could. I was so delighted to be granted access to an advanced reading copy by Flatiron Books. Even better, it became apparent from the moment I read the first few lines that this reading experience would take place in one headlong rush. No significant breaks allowed, let alone required. The Flatshare was published first in the UK and then slightly later here in the U.S. I dithered over which cover to buy as both have much to recommend them, but I finally decided on the U.S. cover. I just love the two of them standing on either side of the same door, the tiny heart between the title and author name.

Tiffy is in a massive, massive bind. Out on her ear after breaking up with her exceptionally controlling boyfriend, she needs an inexpensive place to live and she needs it yesterday. Despite her friends' significant misgivings, she decides to check out an ad for a flatshare. The man who lives there works nights and is looking for someone who will only inhabit the flat during the night and then be gone all day when he is home sleeping. They will share a bed but never at the same time, and they will agree never to even see one another. Though the situation smacks of odd (to say the very least), Tiffy is desperate and in the market for some solitude. Thus the deal is struck. And so Tiffy and Leon become flatmates. And the situation actually seems to work. Slowly they begin to communicate solely through Post-it notes stuck here and there to every available surface in Leon's flat. And these two utterly different individuals strike up an unlikely friendship that gradually develops into something more.

***

I smile. The note is stuck on the fridge, which is already one layer deep in Post-its. My current favorite is a doodle Leon did, depicting the man in Flat 5 sitting on an enormous heap of bananas. (We still don't know why he keeps so many banana crates in his parking space.)

I rest my forehead against the fridge door for a moment, then run my fingers across the layers of paper scraps and Post-its. There's so much here. Jokes, secrets, stories, the slow unfolding of two people whose lives have been changing in parallel―or, I don't know, in sync. Different time, same place.

***

There are just countless moments such as this one. Tiffy and Leon are both isolated in their own ways. Leon in the much more traditional sense, in that he struggles to relate to people on a near constant basis, even finding his relationship with his girlfriend to be far more tepid than he believed it to be. His life has never been easy, and his strongest loyalties lie with his brother Richie, who was wrongfully incarcerated and who Leon works tirelessly to have exonerated and released. He is also a devoted and eminently capable palliative care nurse. Tiffy, on the other hand, is quite bubbly and accessible. She has a small group of close-knit and genuine friends and works as an editor for an arts and crafts DIY publisher. She thrives on connection and is immediately intrigued by her reclusive and elusive flatmate. Where Leon is a sedate slate, Tiffy is all the colors of the rainbow. And I just loved how helplessly Leon was drawn to the color and life (and delicious food) she brought into his life. O'Leary's pacing in this utterly delightful novel is note perfect. The way that she carefully leads her characters (and the reader) up to the inevitable meeting and through its myriad fallout is both thrilling and enchanting. As Oscar Wilde put it, "This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last." That is The Flatshare, terrible, wonderful suspense centered on a pair of such kind, empathetic characters in a perfectly irresistible scenario. I laughed so often and so happily. I recommend this debut unreservedly and eagerly await O'Leary's next novel.

***

"This is the bit where we turn on the telly and a nuclear war has started," I say, twisting to lie down next to him.

He smiles. "I don't think so. Doesn't work that way. Sometimes the happy thing just happens."