Cover Image: The Flatshare

The Flatshare

I found the writing distracting more often than not. I love the concept and the potential for a sweet love story is there, but especially during his narration, I was too easily distracted and lost my train of thought.
A rom-com seasoned with a bit of drama, The Flatshare is the quintessential story of boy-meets-girl, boy-falls-in-love-with-girl but with a twist: the two main characters have never actually met.
When a devastating breakup leaves her with no place to live, Tiffy Moore has to settle for sharing an apartment with Leon, a night-shift nurse who is looking for a roommate who will not be there at the same time he is.
But then Tyffy and Leon start communicating with notes, first about nuances regarding the apartment, and later about their lives. As they become closer and an attraction between them develops, Tiffy and Leon know that once they meet in person they'll definitely know if what they have on paper, is also real outside their shared apartment.
A fun and fast-read with complex but relatable characters.
Everyone was raving about this book so I was really excited to start it! But something wasn't right for me. I think it’s the dialogue I can’t seem to get into, specifically Leo’s. The premise of the story is really interesting and fresh, but just not something that called out to me.
I adored this book! It was so unique in the idea of two people being roommates but never having actually seen each other. It gave me you've got mail vibes which I absolutely love! It's so much more romantic to me to have two people fall in love based on words, personality and heart rather then looks and attraction that is so uncommon in this day and so is the art of note and letter writing. A handwritten letter or note is so personal and sweet I think it's something that should be used more often and it was so refreshing to see that used in this romance story. I loved every second of this charming heartfelt and at times laugh out loud funny book Tiffy and Leon are two characters that will stick with me a long time!
Tiffy Moore needs a cheap flat, and fast. Leon Twomey works nights and needs cash. Their friends think they’re crazy, but it’s the perfect solution: Leon occupies the one-bed flat while Tiffy’s at work in the day, and she has the run of the place the rest of the time. But with obsessive ex-boyfriends, demanding clients at work, wrongly imprisoned brothers and, of course, the fact that they still haven’t met yet, they’re about to discover that if you want the perfect home you need to throw the rulebook out the window. Tiffy and Leon begin their relationship through post-it notes. And what starts off as flatmates may just turn into something more. review: I thought this book was absolutely adorable. Tiffy and Leon are both quirky, but highly likeable characters and I found myself rooting for each of them throughout the book. I loved the concept of a flatshare & them communicating through post-it notes without ever meeting. While this is certainly a meet-cute romance it dives into some deeper points like consent and gaslighting in relationships, the broken prison system, and the value of self-care. I enjoyed the alternating POV and the short chapters, making for a cute and quick read! The one thing that did bug me a bit was the script style of writing at some parts - I eventually got over it but at first it was a little frustrating and tough to follow at times. rating: 4 out of 5 ⭐️
Charming and emotionally satisfying. When Tiffy’s boyfriend breaks up with her yet again, she needs somewhere cheap to live. An unusual ad for a roommate catches her eye, and soon she’s living in Leon’s apartment...and sleeping in his bed.

But it’s not what you think—Tiffy and Leon have never even met. He works as a night nurse, she works during the day, so they share the flat in shifts, agreeing to remain strangers.

But then the note writing starts. And making food for each other. Soon they’re becoming friends via post it, and getting involved in each other’s lives. Could they be friends in real life, too?

I loved this book. It wasn’t quite what I expected, but in the best ways. The narrative is told in alternating first person, and the author does a good job of writing their voices differently. Their friends and family are lovely, too.
Solid 5 stars!! I kept reading great reviews of this book so I was thrilled when I received an advanced reader's copy of The Flatshare. The cover is misleading, the pastels make it look like a rom-com type book and that is not accurate. This book tackles very serious themes, including death, emotional abuse, stalking and even a wrongful conviction. Some of the reviews said the book was somewhat epistolary, but I also don't agree with that. There are post-it notes here and there, and even some transcript style exchanges between the characters, but the book read mostly in narrative form. That being said, I adored all of the characters. They felt like real people I was getting to know and now that the book is done I miss them! I could have kept reading about their lives for much longer. This book is a solid 5 stars for me and I can't wait to read what this author writes next!

*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my Advanced Readers Copy in exchange for my honest review!*
I absolutely loved this book. It was incredibly original and the characters were easy to love. O'Leary knows how to write and cheeky and quirky rom-com with a lot of heart and emotion.
All it took was hearing the basic bones of the premise of Beth O'Leary's debut novel The Flatshare for me to determine I would absolutely be reading it as soon as I possibly could. I was so delighted to be granted access to an advanced reading copy by Flatiron Books. Even better, it became apparent from the moment I read the first few lines that this reading experience would take place in one headlong rush. No significant breaks allowed, let alone required. The Flatshare was published first in the UK and then slightly later here in the U.S. I dithered over which cover to buy as both have much to recommend them, but I finally decided on the U.S. cover. I just love the two of them standing on either side of the same door, the tiny heart between the title and author name.

Tiffy is in a massive, massive bind. Out on her ear after breaking up with her exceptionally controlling boyfriend, she needs an inexpensive place to live and she needs it yesterday. Despite her friends' significant misgivings, she decides to check out an ad for a flatshare. The man who lives there works nights and is looking for someone who will only inhabit the flat during the night and then be gone all day when he is home sleeping. They will share a bed but never at the same time, and they will agree never to even see one another. Though the situation smacks of odd (to say the very least), Tiffy is desperate and in the market for some solitude. Thus the deal is struck. And so Tiffy and Leon become flatmates. And the situation actually seems to work. Slowly they begin to communicate solely through Post-it notes stuck here and there to every available surface in Leon's flat. And these two utterly different individuals strike up an unlikely friendship that gradually develops into something more.

***

I smile. The note is stuck on the fridge, which is already one layer deep in Post-its. My current favorite is a doodle Leon did, depicting the man in Flat 5 sitting on an enormous heap of bananas. (We still don't know why he keeps so many banana crates in his parking space.)

I rest my forehead against the fridge door for a moment, then run my fingers across the layers of paper scraps and Post-its. There's so much here. Jokes, secrets, stories, the slow unfolding of two people whose lives have been changing in parallel―or, I don't know, in sync. Different time, same place.

***

There are just countless moments such as this one. Tiffy and Leon are both isolated in their own ways. Leon in the much more traditional sense, in that he struggles to relate to people on a near constant basis, even finding his relationship with his girlfriend to be far more tepid than he believed it to be. His life has never been easy, and his strongest loyalties lie with his brother Richie, who was wrongfully incarcerated and who Leon works tirelessly to have exonerated and released. He is also a devoted and eminently capable palliative care nurse. Tiffy, on the other hand, is quite bubbly and accessible. She has a small group of close-knit and genuine friends and works as an editor for an arts and crafts DIY publisher. She thrives on connection and is immediately intrigued by her reclusive and elusive flatmate. Where Leon is a sedate slate, Tiffy is all the colors of the rainbow. And I just loved how helplessly Leon was drawn to the color and life (and delicious food) she brought into his life. O'Leary's pacing in this utterly delightful novel is note perfect. The way that she carefully leads her characters (and the reader) up to the inevitable meeting and through its myriad fallout is both thrilling and enchanting. As Oscar Wilde put it, "This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last." That is The Flatshare, terrible, wonderful suspense centered on a pair of such kind, empathetic characters in a perfectly irresistible scenario. I laughed so often and so happily. I recommend this debut unreservedly and eagerly await O'Leary's next novel.

***

"This is the bit where we turn on the telly and a nuclear war has started," I say, twisting to lie down next to him.

He smiles. "I don't think so. Doesn't work that way. Sometimes the happy thing just happens."
This was such a cute, fun read!

After Tiffy's boyfriend dumps her, she's in desperate need of a new place to live. So she answers an ad asking for a flatmate, but it's a little unconventional: there's only one bed in the flat, and the night shift working flatmate will sleep in it during the day while Tiffy is at work, and vice versa. The two never even need to meet! They communicate via post it notes around the apartment, and of course, they eventually do meet.

Tiffy and Leon are a couple of very memorable characters! Tiffy is a bit outlandish and has a unique sense of style, while Leon rarely talks except to the people he cares a lot about. I loved reading their story and seeing the really natural relationship develop between the two of them.

This book also tackles the serious topic of escaping from abusive relationships. Over the course of the novel, Tiffy comes to terms with the fact that her previous boyfriend emotionally abused her, and I think this book does this very tactfully. Tiffy has to unlearn a lot of the ways she thinks about herself because of the way her ex treated her, and it's never made out to be her fault. The ex is the clear villain in this story, and Tiffy's journey is punctuated with lots of support from her found family and normalizing visits to a therapist.

The subplot on Leon's side of the story is his brother's fight to appeal his sentencing for a crime he didn't commit. I loved Richie every time he was on the page and I enjoyed seeing the impact the prison system was having on him. It was an interesting look at how even innocent people can be negatively impacted by the justice system.

One thing I wasn't a huge fan of was the writing style for Leon's chapters. He is not a man of many words, and his dialogue often had him speaking in fragments. This was also reflected in his narration as well. I mostly got used to it after a while, but I still didn't love it as a stylistic choice. I understand why the author wrote his chapters that way, but I didn't like it.

Overall, this was definitely an enjoyable read and one that had more depth that I would have originally thought!
I could not love this story more! Beth O'Leary's voice is utterly unique - hilarious, insightful, poignant, and with few words conveys so much feeling. There is a depth and intelligence to Ms. O'Leary's writing that is rare and to be savored. There is nothing formulaic or predictable about this HEA, and the subtle beauty of the story as it unfolds will keep you thinking long after you finish reading.

Tiffy is quirky, bright, kind, and so darn clever. I want to be friends with her! Her over the top style of dress is endearing, and the peculiar cast of characters who are her friends are exactly how I'd love to picture Londoners. Introverted Leon is not an alpha male. He's better. He loves with his whole heart, cares deeply for his family, and his vulnerability have made him by new favorite. He is strong without being overbearing, loyal, and a man of action, not just words.

This book is full of twists, but incredibly, it never feels contrived. Must admit that I wasn't intrigued by the premise of the story, but am so delighted that I gave it a chance.
*Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book. This is my candid review.*
When I started this book I was expecting a cute, light, British romcom. Communicating through sticky notes with a flatmate you've never met doesn't scream deep subjects .However, the Flatshare is so much more than that. It deals with heartache, emotional abuse, false imprisonment but it handles them all so well.

The characters in the Flatshare are all very different but endearing in their own unique. Tiffy, with her quirky clothes and bright personality, is someone I wish I could spend all my time with in real life. And loyal, quiet Leon is the type of guy every girl should aspire to be with. Aside from Tiffy and Leon, the side characters were wonderful, too (well most of them..). Gerty and Mo are always there to pick Tiffy up and ply her with words of wisdom. Rachel, Tiffy's coworker, brings the fun as well as the trouble. And, of course, Leon's imprisoned brother, Richie. Basically, I adore all of these characters and everything they brought to the story. They all need each other in one way or another and it was heartwarming to see their relationships grow. I guess Justin, Tiffy's ex-boyfriend, needed to be there too but we don't have to like him.

As much as I ended up loving this book, I had a different opinion to start. Tiffy's chapters displayed her personality perfectly and made me love her right away. On the other hand, I couldn't figure out Leon's chapters. They were short, abrupt, and made use of very short sentences. But the more I got to know Leon, I realized this was just him. He's kind, loyal, and hardworking but he's also abrupt and a man of few words. If you can get past the way he talks, you can learn to love him too.

I was definitely wrong to think this would be a light, airy chick lit. But that's the best kind of book right? One that surprises you in the best way possible.
The Flatshare is a book that is all about its characters, and what delightful characters they are,  Icould not help but fall in love with Leon and Tiffy as they were falling in love with each other.  This is a fantastic summer or any time of year romance read.
I really enjoyed this book! I thought the romance between the two central characters was sweet and well-developed. I’m a huge fan of epistolary novels and while this wasn’t wholly epistolary, I really loved the incorporation of written notes. I also loved how this book delved into more emotional issues than I was expecting. I would definitely recommend this one!
From the moment I heard about THE FLATSHARE by Beth O'Leary, I knew I had to read it. I was so excited to get a digital copy for review, and I saved it to read on my flight to England at the end of March. Now, let me tell you why I loved it! It's set in London, so it was the perfect book to kick off my trip with Kelly. As soon as I met up with her in Heathrow, I started raving about it. Tiffy and Leon share an apartment, but they've never met. They work opposite schedules, but exchanging notes every day leads to an unexpected friendship. I AM SO HERE FOR FALLING IN LOVE VIA POST-IT NOTES. The premise sounded comedic, so I went in expecting a mostly light-hearted vibe. And while it was definitely humorous, there's so much more to it!

It depicts some emotional subject matter and that made me love it more. I loved how it dealt with gaslighting and toxic relationships while still highlighting incredible friendships and so much kindness. It’s just so dang cute and put such a smile my face — while still making me cry a little bit, too. It had pretty much everything I want and love in a book! Tiffy and Leon each have their own POV, and Leon's threw me a bit at first. It just has a different cadence and style. But it ended up feeling so right for the character, and now I can't imagine it being written any other way. I hate when multiple POVs sound the same and am so happy that wasn’t the case here. It was the kind of book that I was sad to finish — and already plan to re-read. If you’re making a summer reading list, this should be on it! One of my favorites of 2019, for sure.
The Flatshare is a great love story about people who fall for each other and live with each other without ever having met face-to-face. Tiffy and Leon each have their reasons for needing to flatshare-- an awful breakup and a brother wrongfully in prison, respectfully. As their lives become more entwined, we learn more about the layers of their lives and see the pain each is working to get past. I found the characters lovable, the plot very fun but also with some thrilling moments, and the whole reading experience to be as soothing as a cup of tea.

Fans of Jill Mansell and Marian Keyes will enjoy the wit and the simplicity of this sweet romance.
This was such a unique story (and would be a really cool movie)! This book is so much more than a chick-lit romance – it pulled at all my heart strings! I absolutely loved how these two grew their relationship as roommates by leaving notes for each other. Of course, the entire time I assumed the obvious (boy meets girl…), but Beth delivered a whole lot more. She does a great job about painting a true picture of life – toxic relationships, the housing crisis, dealing with messy family dynamics, wonderful friendships, and more. This one is worth the read!
Thank you NetGalley and Flatiron for the advanced copy.
I found this book very quirky and cute. Easy to read. I was sucked in to the story and couldn’t stop reading it. Great summer read!
The Flatshare was such a delight that I found myself reading quite slowly, savoring the story. I adore Tiffy and Leon; in fact, I can't decide who I like more. Although the premise is easy to spot, O'Leary made this novel more than saccharine with her side plots, which tackled some serious matters. I thought she did a great job of balancing heavy and light and giving her book some depth while keeping it fun.
THE FLATSHARE is such a feel-good romcom...and so much more.

I’m admittedly not a big romance reader, but this? This is EXACTLY what I’m looking for in romance. I need a lot of plot and character development in romance novels and Beth O’Leary delivered. THE FLATSHARE tackled important issues like emotional abuse and the criminal justice system.  It was impossible to not be invested in these two characters.

The chapters were short with alternating POVs which had me flipping pages as fast as humanly possible to see what was going to happen next. The tension of “will they, won’t they” was perfect and had me rooting for Tiffy and Leon along the way.

But wait - it gets even better. There was a Gilmore Girls reference! I mean, come on!

If you are like me and don’t usually pick up romance novels, please give THE FLATSHARE a try. It was such a pleasant surprise!

Thank you to Flatiron Books and Netgalley for an eARC in exchange for an honest review.