The Flatshare

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 May 2019

This book exceeded all my expectations, which rarely happens for me. The plot ended up being so much more nuanced and interesting than the blurb let on. I loved both of the main characters, (although I wasn't a fan of the stilted voice in Leon's chapters) which is probably my only complaint).
The Flatshare is an engaging, fun and very often serious novel telling of the oddball relationship that forms between flatmates Tiffy and Leon. Oddball because they only communicate through Post-it notes and do not meet until late into the relationship. Serious because Tiffy’s ex-boyfriend has emotionally abused her and will not let her go even though he is the one who dumped her. Serious because Leon’s brother is in prison innocent of charges and dealing with a lax lawyer. What Tiffy does for Leon is wonderful. What Tiffy’s ex does to her is awful. How Tiffy rebounds and stands up for herself is what makes it all worthwhile.
I loved it! Tiffy and Leon were so relatable and I loved how they each took turns telling the story. I think everyone can relate to jotting down notes on Post It’s, the author did a great job of building their relationship in an unconventional way. I can’t recommend this book enough, it was a fairly quick read with characters that I truly cared about.
A very high 3 stars for this one. I don’t want to say too much about where this novel goes since I appreciated not knowing in advance. But know that the plot does much more than wind toward an inevitable happy ending. (See trigger warning at bottom, but avoid if you don’t want a spoiler.)

Thus book is a sweet love story with interesting and creative subplots (a hunt for a long lost WWII veteran being one of them), but equally the story of a woman coming to terms with and overcoming some serious stuff.

The plot: Tiffy needs to get out of her ex-boyfriend’s apartment, but her job at a publishing house that specializes in DIY isn’t exactly lucrative. (I loved her workplace storyline, but could we have less books with writers and publishers as the main character?) Anyway, Leon, a hospice nurse, needs extra cash and works mostly nights, so he decides to get a roommate who will only be there when he’s not. (Leon’s girlfriend is less than thrilled.)

Tiffy and Leon start writing notes to each other, having not met in person, and form a friendship...and....???!!! Tiffy is fun and eclectic. Leon is reserved and lovable, and thankfully they met sooner than I expected.

There are some dark and hard things in both of their lives that they have to work through separately and together. I really appreciated how the author handles Tiffy’s storyline, and Leon was a great beta male —thoughtful, considerate, kind, and patient.

Also loved the secondary characters, particularly Tiffy’s best friends, Gerty, a no-nonsense attorney, and Mo, a sensitive counselor and foil to Gerty.

Didn’t quite earn four stars because it went a little movie rom-com in one particular scene.
Reading this honestly was like being wrapped up in a nice and warm homemade knit (crocheted? I also don’t know the difference) blanket. ItThis book had so many of my favorite romcom tropes but set up in such an unconventional way that I was dying to see how it would play out.

The heart of this books truly lies with its characters, and that can only be attributed to O’Leary’s writing and the careful thought and care that goes into her characters, from their eccentricities down to their wardrobe; you can tell she’s already had them fleshed them out in their mind before even putting the pen down to paper. I also loved that as Tiffy and Leon started getting to know each other, we were also getting to know them as individual characters as well so by the time it came to their first meeting (which happens in such typical romcom fashion), we’re emotionally there with them. Supporting our main characters are a wonderful set of characters that are just as endearing and loveable.

Undercutting the lightheartedness of the story is Tiffy’s despicable ex, whose inability to let Tiffy go prevents her from being able to emotionally move forward with Leon. With how well Tiffy and Leon’s relationship seemed to be going, it did concern me how O’Leary would present a conflict between them. But I think she was able to handle it well, along with the resolution and proving that sometimes, our worst enemies really can be just ourselves.

Overall, SUCH an enjoyable read and stellar debut from O’Leary that makes me genuinely excited for her future works!
I just finished The Flatshare and I was completely BLOWN AWAY!!  After reading the synopsis, I went in thinking this novel was going to be a cute and fun read.  This book was so, so, so much more- it was sweet, hysterical, heartbreaking, quirky, heartwarming and (best of all) brilliantly original!

I knew early on that The Flatshare would definitely be on my 2019 favorites list!  I cannot recommend this 5+ star read enough!  I adore romantic comedies that have depth and Beth O’Leary has provided that in spades!  I was so wow’ed by Beth O’Leary’s writing that I looked her up on Amazon so I could 1-click anything and everything she has written and I was completely shocked to learn The Flatshare is her debut novel!!!!!!!!!  Talk about knocking it out of the park on her first try!  I am very excited to read whatever she comes out with next and will be checking Beth’s social media regularly to find out when that will be lol!!!  I already know this will be a book that I will re-read—it’s just that fantastic!
This is the most darling book! Tiffy and Leon made me laugh, cry and just want to hug all of my friends. There’s so much to this story. Yes, it’s a cute romance but there’s depth—particularly in Tiffy and Leon’s sad backstories. I expected to smile, maybe even laugh out loud (and I did, many times. British humor at its finest), but I didn’t expect to get teary eyed. Also, this had a great cast of side characters, all with such distinct voices!

I highly, highly recommend this book. Enjoy, and you’re welcome! :)
I didn't want this to end! Tiffy and Leon were great characters and still had problems and issues. It was such a sweet story!