Comics Will Break Your Heart

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Feb 2019

This book is well outside of what I usually read (which is fantasy) but because I also have a fondness for comics, I had to check it out. It was actually pretty good, and overall I did enjoy it, even if it wasn't my favorite thing ever (it's just not fantasy, that's the only bad thing I can say)
Miriam's grandfather created the TomorrowMen, a famous comic fandom, but her family reaps none of the benefits of the comic's popularity or the upcoming film because her family was forced to sign away the rights of ownership many years ago. When Miriam meets Weldon, the son of the current owner of the comics, she wants to dislike him. Soon she and Weldon form a friendship, and eventually their relationship grows into something more. Can their relationship withstand a family rivalry lasting for decades, or will they be forced to go their separate ways?
I enjoyed this book overall, especially because it was about geeks who love comics. The characters were realistic and easy to sympathize with, and the relationships addressed were well drawn. I loved reading about Miriam's relationship with her parents and siblings. They seemed like such a fun, quirky family to be around. Miriam and Weldon's relationship was sweet, though they did have their disagreements. I would have liked to see more illustrations in the book. The comics on the cover were well done and they would have been a great addition to the story. I didn't care for the profanity. It seemed quite excessive for the subject matter and the overall lighthearted tone of the book. Other than that, I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys YA contemporary fiction and superhero comics.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. I also purchased a copy of the book from Amazon. A positive review was not required, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Comics Will Break Your Heart is the kind of book that reminds you that a novel can be a comforting friend when you need it.
The characters in this book were fantastic and relatable, the story was heartwarming, and the setting was very well done: I felt transported to this tiny town in Nova Scotia and even now, after I finished the book, some of that feeling of this summer & romance in Nova Scotia still lingers, and it's a very sweet feeling.
My only disappointment is that there was no "Damn the Man! Save the Empire!" kind of moment with Mir's original workplace, Emporium of Wonders, and I wish there had been, because I think Mir's friend Evan would have grown up to be a fantastic owner of the shop!
I love the way comics influences the backstories of the main characters, and the reminder that there is no such thing as fake geeks. I love a lot about this book, and it was a very satisfying read
A Romeo and Juliet story set in the modern day comic book world, Comics Will Break Your Heart bring together Miriam and Weldon, two teenagers whose family members have a complicated past. Will their family's past tear these two apart or bring them together?

I'm a big fan of Faith Erin Hick's graphic novels and artwork. Friends with Boys was one of the first ARCs I obtained from NetGalley and loved. I've followed her work in The Nameless City trilogy and Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong. She's a great comic book writer and author, but that prior experience didn't translate well within her first YA novel.

There are some good aspects to Comics Will Break Your Heart. I love the plot of the story. Romeo and Juliet, star-crossed lovers, and all that are always fun to read. I like that it was centered around comics as well as characters that have to face their grandparents/parents' decisions and decide how they want to handle their feelings toward it. There was definite growth in the characters by examining their family's decisions and seeing both sides of the story. I also enjoyed that Miriam's parents were actively in their child's lives. Like there was actual pertinent dialogue between Miriam and her parents that was an important plot point to the story. I liked Miriam to an extent. She wasn't an annoying angst ridden teenager, but she had her flaws. Miriam not wanting to leave her small town but not being sure how she was going to pay for it was a nice side story to follow along. I could completely understand her point of view and I think teenagers at that point in their life would relate to her.

I did have some minor issues that added up including the way the story was written in third person POV. I think it could have benefited from being written in first person. It was kind of distracting how the parents of the two MC's first names were written after they said something like it would have been better as "said mom" or "said dad." It wasn't like Miriam or Weldon called their parents anything other than mom and dad so that made no sense to me. Towards the later half I started not loving the romance. I didn't really feel any excitement towards their relationship. I didn't feel anything for Weldon so that might have added to that viewpoint. He had his own side story but he just felt like the generic love interest most of the time. The secondary plot around her best friend was kind of meh. The story wrapped up easily and seemed silly. What really got me was the climax of the story didn't do anything for me. It wasn't that big of a deal so the tension that comes with that part of the story just wasn't there. The conclusion wasn't as satisfying as I was hoping because I wanted Weldon to stand up for himself with his father. Weldon's side plot surrounded his materialistic father who didn't have the time of day for him and he was kind of a crook. I needed that moment as a reader of him really having it out with his father. Now that I think about it, maybe he had a little moment, but it was just unsatisfying.

Overall, I thought Comics Will Break Your Heart was an okay read. I didn't particularly like it but I could see fifteen and sixteen years old reading and enjoying this. It does have curse words but the way the story is written seems like it is for younger teens despite the MC worrying over college. I think Faith Erin Hicks could do better. I hope she continues to write YA novels because I want to see her improve. She already does a fantastic job in graphic novel format, so I know she has it in her.
Comics Will Break Your Heart is a Romeo & Juliet-style young adult romance that features the youngest generation of two feuding comics families. Miriam's mother settled the big lawsuit case years ago, after her father died, but now the TomorrowMen franchise is massive and has spawned a sure-to-be-huge live action film. Miriam is resentful, even before the scion of the Warrick family, Weldon, shows up in town for the summer. Weldon has been sent back to his father's hometown so as to "not be a distraction" to his father.

As you might expect, both kids have baggage they need to unpack. This worked well as a coming-of-age story, even if there was honestly not much of the "two rival houses" conflict that I was expecting. Miriam's mom is very chill and loves to paint and Weldon's dad is the stereotypical industry bigwig who's lost the soul of the comics. If the two of them had been the romantic pairing, I would have expected more fireworks.

As it was, the story unfolds in a somewhat sleepy, somewhat angsty way, with more focus on the themes of money-can't-buy-happiness and be-grateful-for-what-you-have than I expected. Miriam's BFF's boyfriend is a total jerk to her, in no small part because he sees that her mom paid off their mortgage with the settlement and he thinks her financial woes are trivial. He may have a point, but so does Miriam. Weldon came off as a sad little rich kid and I had a hard time feeling sorry for him, especially since we first meet him when he's just stolen a car. There's no discussion of the fact that since he's a rich white kid, he gets away with this crap.

Overall, I'm glad I read the book. I've loved Faith Erin Hicks's comics for years, and I genuinely enjoyed all the comics nerdery in this novel. It works well as a coming-of-age story and as a romance, but it isn't quite the feud I was expecting.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley for review.
Comics Will Break Your Heart has an incredibly unique Romeo and Juliet -esque plot. Weldon, heir to the TomorrowMen comics fortune, meets Miriam, whose grandfather was in a brutal legal battle over the rights of the comics right up until his death. Miriam resents her mother for settling the battle which leaves the family on a tight budget, especially with Miriam about to head off to college. Right from the first chapter, Miriam and Weldon are drawn to each other, despite the reservations for both of their families.

This book bleeds comic book references. I know Faith Erin Hicks is primarily a graphic artist, so it was really fun to see so many great shoutouts. I loved many of the side characters, such as Miriam's parents, Evan, and Weldon's mom.

I wish the book had been a little less superficial. There were so many great potential moments for some serious consequences on the character's decisions, but it just felt like everything was wrapped up a little too nicely. The book was lacking tension, which stood out because the plot really circulates on around a feud that happened years before but is still emotionally unresolved.

Overall, it was a really quick fun read and I would recommend it to people who are fans of any sort of comics.
3.5: This was cute! I appreciated how there weren't easy answers for the complicated relationships, though I don't know if this was as emotionally heavy as it could have been, given how complex some of the familial/friendship matters were. Sweet romance however which made me very happy and I would 100% read Tomorrowmen comics.
I love comics, so I thought I might like this book. I liked that it was set in Canada, made for a unique setting. Characters were likeable enough, but didn't get too deep in development like I enjoy. The story was kinda slow and I didn't feel like much happened and then the ended seemed rather rushed and anticlimactic. This book was just ok and nothing really stood out to make it a must read.
Miriam is the granddaughter of a comic book legacy. Her grandfather was one of the original creators of one of the most famous superheroes. However, he lost the rights and the money to this dynasty, when he was bought out by his partner. Miriam live a quiet life in their Canadian town. Even though her family doesn’t have access to the superhero world, Miriam loves it and works at the local comic shop. While working, a cute tourist stops by and purchases one of her mother’s pieces of art. Miriam is not impressed by this obvious rich boy, but he is super cute. As the two get drawn further and further together, they find that their families have a very tumultuous past…think Romeo and Juliet for comic book geeks. Is it possible for them to have a relationship, or even a friendship?

I wish that there had been a multimedia component of this book, like chapter vignettes with comics. Overall it was an interesting book.
This is going to be a quick review, but I'll post on goodreads and on my blog another longer one.
I really enjoyed this read, it was very sweet, full of comics references and I loved how Geeky the main character was.
Mir was very relatable, sometimes coming as a little too much as a teenager but it didn't make the read less enjoyable.

The romance was slow as sweet, but a little predictable. Also, the issue between the two characters was a little shallow and easily resolved. I guess we could've had something different happen between them, if the book was a little longer.

The ending at Comic Con was amazing, I loved it!
I loved everything about this book (including the fact that I feel more confident about Canadian culture!)

I'm a huge fan of meta novel sand novels that deal with readers and fandom. The great twist of this book was that the characters were not only fans of the comics but that they were intimately related to them. The dual point of view was fabulous as well--as we got both sides of the story. I really liked Mir and Weldon. I loved how complex they were and how honest and real they felt. I stressed alongside Mir about her friendships, future after school and money problems. I liked that Weldon wasn't some spoiled heir to a comic franchise and that he was flawed (I dug the bad boy aspect, I'll admit!).

The worldbuilding of the comics too was really wonderful--it added an extra story that I enjoyed. Faith Erin Hicks is such a talented writer that I really was invested in the comic characters as well as the main story.

My only wish was that we could get some panels in the book! I want to see the TomorrowMen in real life!

I loved all the nods to geekery and fandom in this book and would recommend it to any graphic novel/comics fans who are looking for a fantastic novel to fall into.

I can't wait for Faith Erin Hicks' further novels--I'm sure they're going to be just as enjoyable!
First of all, Happy Book Birthday to this book today! When I first saw that this book was being released, I knew I needed to get it. I have been dabbling in the world of graphic novels for awhile. When comics meets YA, it is a yes please.

This book did not disappoint! It was a story about Miriam and the challenges in her life. No spoilers, but it will keep you turning to the end to find out what happens next. I am glad that I had a chance to read this one, thank you for the opportunity.

Disclaimer: I was awarded this book from Netgalley. Though I did not pay for the book, the opinions are strictly my own.
When I saw this advanced reader’s copy on Net Galley, I knew I had to snag it!  I was already familiar with the author, Faith Erin Hicks, through some of her graphic novels, Friends With Boys and Brain Camp.  Even though this one was not a graphic novel, I was excited to see her take on a modern-day Romeo & Juliet story revolving around…comic books.

Miriam lives in the small Canadian town of Sandford, a place that feels small yet familiar to Miriam.  She dreams of leaving to go off to college but is afraid because all her friends will be staying behind.  On top of her college worries, her best friend Raleigh is becoming more distant the more she spends with her hard-edged boyfriend.  One comfort is working at the Emporium of Wonders, a book and comics shop.  Not only can she save money for college, but she can also feel connected to her grandfather, the illustrator of the original TomorrowMen comic books who signed away his half of the TomorrowMen fortune to his business partner.

Weldon is new to Sandford and is living with his aunt and uncle for the summer because of his poor decisions that keep getting him suspended from school.  His father, the owner of the TomorrowMen comic characters, is also busy overseeing the new TomorrowMen action movie and has no time to control his out-of-control son.  Weldon, bored, finds the Emporium of Wonders and by chance meets Miriam.  His interest is peaked, however, once hearing his name Miriam visibly goes cold towards him.  Time and time again, the two find themselves thrown together, but can they get over generations of hostilities between the two families?

I loved just about everything about this YA novel.  Miriam’s uncertainty about leaving her hometown, family, and friends to pursue her college dreams and her troubles navigating her changing friendships.  Weldon’s complicated family relationships (divorced parents who both won’t take him in for the summer or find the time to stop his rebellious antics) and his public facade that many people can’t—or are unwilling—to see through.  They all felt very real and applicable to students today.  Then there’s the who idea of putting aside prejudices against people just because of who their family is.

Yes, it’s Romeo & Juliet, star-crossed lovers, but it also has heart and strength and vulnerability.
Comics Will Break Your Heart is a romantic comedy that it's afraid to be funny, serious, lush, and heartbreaking. Miriam is a great narrator, realistically bitter about her family's loss of the TomorrowMan, but not as upset as to dampen her own love of comics. With the inclusion of Weldon, Miriam finds her self caught between her heart and her family's legacy which is just ripe for the DRAMA. Which is not only here in spades, but natural enough for the story to flow easily, allowing itself light moments as well. This isn't a particularly impactful story, but damn if it isn't a fun one.
Thank you NetGalley and MacMillion books for my free copy in return for my honest review! Love you lots!

Two words…Bill Finger also known as the guy who got snuffed on being one of the original creators/illustrators of Batman. The guy who spent decades of his life, trying to get recognized for his work, but was not
acknowledged until after Mr.Fingers death in 1974. Mind you Batman made his first appearance in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detective_Comics back in 1939! Tsk tsk on the comic book world, but this was and still a big issue in the Graphic Novel industry. There is a great documentary about Bill Finger on Hulu https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_and_bill_2017

Ok now that I have ranted a little, my review on Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks, which is out now! Go pick it up at https://www.amazon.com/Comics-Will-Break-Your-Heart-ebook/dp/B07G14VS3N/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2SCF1LW33FQBB&keywords=comics+will+break+your+heart&qid=1550118951&s=gateway&sprefix=comics+will+%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-2

We follow Miriam who is the granddaughter of the co-creator of the famous 1960’s comic book The TomorrowMen. Her family should be rich, considering The TomorrowMen has a huge nerdy fan base, with a multi-million dollar movie coming out. But when her grandfather had to sell his rights, his family literally got nothing. Then a strange handsome boy walks into her job and her world is turned upside down.

This book was really great. I try not to consider myself a comic book snob, because I’m a thirty something year old mom, that bags and boards all her comics, and may or may not have a stash of action figures her kids can sell when she dies. I just know the feeling of being a nerd. Before it was cool be a nerd. When you would get looks for reading comics at lunch time, or you were the only girl in the comic shop filled with boys. I digress, I’m sorry.

We are giving this very great, very awesome book a 5/5 stars! Why you ask? BECAUSE IT GAVE ME ALL THE FEELS!!!!

Make sure you follow us on Instagram! @beedlethebardbooksleeves

See ya soon!

Angie
When I read the premise of Comics Will Break Your Heart, I was all for it. Not only am I a fan of Faith Erin Hicks, but this story is a hate-to-love trope revolving around the world of comic books. Can it get any better than that? No, no it can't.

In a Romeo and Juliet style, Comics Will  Break Your Heart is about Miriam, and the struggle that she calls her life. Mir questions choices, like most teens do, but in this case, she questions if she should continue with her life, her future, if her family can't barely continue with today. The story starts off with a bang. A meeting of Miriam and Weldon, our fated Romeo and Juliet, a fight, and cops. It's an amazing first chapter, and it catapults the story into this superhero trajectory.

I adore Weldon. And while some may say "first-world-problems," emotions are a valid thing. We all want to be love, despite what fortunes life affords us. And Mir. Ugh, my heart breaks for her. We have all been in the place of insecurities and uncertainties. She is on the opposite side of the life spectrum, but her emotions are also a valid thing.

Comics Will Break Your Heart talks about the upside and the downside of riches. But there is so much that goes on within the pages of this book. There are tones of family, loyalty, and forgiveness.  And why I won't seclude it to just financial riches, Faith does a great job talking about these topics in the most relatable way.

I enjoyed this so much, and I think you will to.

*Thank you to the publisher for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.*
This one was just ok for me. Fun for comic book fans, but the characterization was shallow and the ending was rushed.
I was absolutely blown away by this book. It was just as charming and lovely as Geekerella and I think fans of that book will gobble this one up. I loved that this was a new spin on Romeo and Juliet.

The plot wasn't the strong suit of this book. The characterization of this book was the real star. I was floored by how real and fleshed out the characters were. We saw a friend break-up and the consequences of that. We also saw Mir have to make a hard decision about what she wanted and how that would affect her family and friendships. I loved that this big issue of comic rights was so murky and real. Each side had a different story and a different view of who was right and wrong, whereas the truth lay somewhere in the middle. We got to see how this one decision, made generations ago, affected families and lives.

The parents were flawed, real people and we got a look into their lives. We saw a divorce and the nasty, lingering pain. We also saw a very healthy relationship between parents. We saw a healthy parent-child relationship and a toxic one. I think this ticks off so many of the boxes that are missing in YA books these days that people are really wanting.

It was heartwarming, swoony, and real. I think anyone who reads this book will take something away from it. They'll find themselves in one of these characters or recognize a struggle they're having. I really loved the very real problems this book tackled. It didn't really solve any of them, but these problems aren't those to be solved. They're ever changing and evolving. This book tackled a lot of complex issues that don't really have an answer and I think we need to be showing this more to teens. There's not always an answer and that's okay. Sometimes you just have to do what's best for you at the moment and that's what Mir taught me.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Roaring Book Press through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.*
As a comics writer and artist, Faith Erin Hicks knows a thing or two about the industry, which she shares in her first novel.

Comics Will Break Your Heart tells the story of Miriam Kendrick and Weldon Warrick, whose grandfathers together created a long-running comic series, The TomorrowMen. Weldon’s family is wealthy and stands to become even more so when the long-anticipated movie adaptation is finally released. In contrast, Miriam’s family doesn’t have much money because her grandfather signed over the rights to the characters he originated in his artwork for the comics, something he later sued over. So, when Weldon comes to visit family in Miriam’s small town, she’s not exactly thrilled to meet him. But as they get to know each other, both Miriam and Weldon realize that in spite of the divide between their families, they have a connection that goes beyond comics.

If you are at all interested in comics, this book is worth reading. Hicks gives some insight into how comics are created and the effects of their current popularity on the industry. She also describes ComicCon, which sounds like it would be both fun and crazy to attend.

Even though the growing feelings between Weldon and Miriam are the core of the plot, Hicks also spends time on the difficulties each of them is experiencing as individuals. In addition to coming to grips with feeling that her family has been cheated by Weldon’s, Miriam is trying to figure out whether she wants to go away to college and is navigating changing relationships with her friends. Weldon is dealing with the fallout from his parents’ divorce and feeling emotionally abandoned by them. If you are reading for the romance, be aware that Weldon and Miriam don’t even hold hands until more than halfway through the book, and kissing takes a lot longer than that.

Outside of the relatively leisurely pacing, I enjoyed this book, and I’d recommend it to readers who like comics and YA contemporaries.

A copy of this book was provided through NetGalley for review; all opinions expressed are my own.
Mir’s grandfather sold the rights to the comic he co-created for next to nothing. Now the comic is mega popular and Mir feels cheated.

Weldon’s grandfather also co-created that comic and created Warrick Studio’s. But Weldon after some trouble at school gets shipped off to his aunt and uncles for the summer.

I really loved this one! Possibly because I’ve slowly been getting into comics and this heavily involved comics. The relationships we great in this I felt like they were very authentic. And I love that the budding relationship between MC’s went slowly.

I definitely recommend if you’re getting into comics like me or if you’re interested in a Romeo and Juliet contemporary retelling.