Cover Image: In the Blink of an Eye

In the Blink of an Eye

Devastating emotional heart wrenching.Life changing in a moment life will never be the same.A book that drew me in took me on this sad ride a book that stays with you literary fiction at its best. #netgalley #stmartinsbooks.

Heartbreaking novel about the loss of a child through accidental drowning.
In the Blink of an Eye is a compelling and emotional read. Jesse Blackadder is a master at the words that flow beautifully across these pages.

Finn, Bridget, and their two sons Toby and Jarrah move to New South Wales. They're enjoying their new house as a family and the amazing pool in the backyard. The 16 year old son Jarrah is having a hard time at his new school making friends and has a wonderful relationship with his 2 year old brother Toby.

A tragedy strikes early on in the novel for this family and they're absolutely broken. The author does an amazing job portraying how grief and loss affects each individual differently.  The novel alternates between perspectives of Bridget, Finn, and Jarrah.

The story was beautifully written but found it a tad bit slow towards the 60 percent mark and was wondering where the story was going.

I did find the ending to be quite strange.... I think the author left it up to the readers interpretation?

Overall, I enjoyed this emotional story of this family and would definitely check out more from Jesse Blackadder.

3.5 stars rounded up :)

Thank you to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review.

Publication date: 3/19/19
Published to Goodreads: 2/8/19
This was a totally different kind of book for me and at times I wasn't quite sure if I was really feeling it, I think it's maybes because I am used to something a little more exciting. The story is about a family that lose their baby son in an accident and how it affects the life's of the mum dad and older brother. Unfortunately I can only give this book two stars :(
Pretty good but I feel like this story has already been told multiple times in multiple ways. It did, however, keep my interest.
In The Blink Of An Eye is a deeply emotional, intense drama about a family that crumbles after a terrible tragedy. It’s about a family fighting to make it through an unbearable grief, while  attempting to protect and not blame each other. It is well written and is a fascinating read that I absolutely loved and highly recommend. I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
This is a heartbreaking, yet moving story. Bridget and Finn have moved to a new area in New South Wales with their children, Jarrah, a teenager and Toby, a toddler. The story is told from various POV’s which makes it more interesting. Jarrah is struggling as a teenager, struggling with his emotions and his sexual identity. He is very close to Toby, caring for him as a father would. Bridget works full time and is the main earner in the family while Finn is a struggling artist. A tragedy strikes when Toby wanders into the pool in their back yard and drowns. The story is then mainly about how each struggles with their grief and self-blame and their struggle to remain a family. I particularly enjoyed each POV.
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Beyond amazing I enjoyed this book so very much. The characters and storyline were fantastic. The ending I did not see coming  Could not put down nor did I want to.
A must need accessory for reading this book….Tissues. I must have gone through half a box. A very powerful and emotional story about a family struggling to make it through tough times. As the title states, “In the Blink of an Eye”, so much can change so fast even I wasn’t prepared for this one and I found it hard to put the book down because I needed to know what was going to happen and everything was going to be okay. This was a very raw and compelling story that I would recommend.
Incredibly well written story about loss and the grieving an entire family goes through and how they manage. How "in the blink of an eye" your life can be tragically turned upside down. I felt everything. Every single emotion, every bit of pain. It was gut wrenching but it was heartwarming. I could not stop until I finished because I needed to know they would all be okay in the end. I will not soon forget this story.
Thank you for the gifted book Netgalley,  the writing was wonderful. You really get to know and feel for the family. It was an easy read and I flew through it.
The writing was so good that I felt I knew this family and was living their story with them.I especially liked the oldest son and really sympathized with him.I did find it a little slow in places, but I am an impatient reader, overall a very realistic and moving read.Thanks to netgalley and the Publishers for an ARC.
I was never able to review this book as it never downloaded properly.  I tried several times communicating back and forth with netgalley but discovered something wrong with my device.  I was never able to resend it in order to read it.
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.
“In the Blink of an Eye” is the newest novel by Australian novelist Jesse Blackadder, set for release in March 2019 (this novel was released in Australia in 2017, under the title “Sixty Seconds”.) I am new to this author, and she delivered quite an emotional and powerful ride with this novel.
To save his marriage, Finn uproots his wife, Bridget, and sons, Jarrah and Toby, and moves them from Tasmania to arid, dry, and unbearably hot New South Wales. The family tries to adapt to their new life, with Jarrah starting at a new high school, Bridget finding and starting a new job and Finn staying home to care for young Toby, while trying to complete his art pieces. One afternoon, an unsupervised Toby goes missing and is discovered, by Bridget, lifeless and face down in the family pool. What follows is a journey of loss, grief, blame and recovery, as the family tries to come to terms with their loss.
“Eye” was told from the viewpoints of Bridget, Finn and Jarrah. Each change in narration was clearly marked, so the reader would know which protagonist was speaking. Although the novel was laid out this way, Blackadder still alternated her “tense”, depending on the narrator; using third person for Finn, second person for Bridget and first person for Jarrah. I found this to be unnecessary and a little confusing, as well as Blackadder’s choice to use shortened sentences, especially when Bridget was narrating (for example “I got up and went outside and went to the pool” became “got up. Went to pool.”). The novel was not overly long, so this seemed more for style than for length.
Grammar aside, this novel was gripping and deeply emotional. The characters were so openly wounded that it was impossible to not completely emphasize with each one. The storyline itself was believable (since a similar experience had happened to the writers’ family when she was growing up, Blackadder’s storytelling was on point here), and heartbreaking.
This story has a little bit of everything, and I struggle to fit it into a particular “genre” box, but it will certainly tug on the heartstrings. Blackadder has introduced me to her works in the best way possible, and I was unexpectedly surprised by how touched I was by this novel. Blackadder is not one to be overlooked, and I will be keeping my eye out for future novels!
A powerful story of grief, love, loss and forgiveness, be prepared to have the tissues at the ready as you will need them!
In the Blink of an Eye by Jesse Blackadder is a family drama that follows one family during their time of tragedy. Told from the point of view of both parents and a teenage son this one is an emotional ride from start to finish.

Finn and Bridget Brennan have been married for years and are the proud and happy parents to their two sons, teenage Jarrah and toddler Toby. The family had just made the move from a chillier climate to one of sunshine and warmth in order for Bridget to care for her mother.

Bridget is used to being the bread winner of the family working full time while Finn had been the more hands on parent as he dabbled in a career as an artist. The family however had just gotten the great news that Finn may just have gotten a big break when unfortunately tragedy hits them full force.

After finishing this book I read that Jesse Blackadder wrote this one in tribute to her own family and what they had gone through and it made sense to me how she captured the characters and the emotions. There is obviously no right or wrong way to behave when faced with difficult times and the three characters in the book each have their own ways of coping and grieving so that the story just oozes with emotion as they go through the loss, the anger, the grief, the blame and all other emotions.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
This is the perfect title!
How fast a catastrophe can occur! In a blink of an eye!
Can the fragments of family life be picked up and resemble any type of "normal" following a devastating tragedy?
A novel of grief, hope and blame, following a family aberration that had me turning the pages to also find out "who did it or rather who did not do it"?
It's heartbreaking, painful and certainly had me questioning each of the characters in this book.
Yet, what was answered is that forgiveness to oneself is key to survival for all.
A descriptive, beautifully written story!
I love the title - anything can happen in the blink of an eye, and your life is changed forever.

Finn, Bridget, Jarrah, and Toby have recently moved, and are still adjusting to their new community.  Finn is a stay at home Artist dad for their 2 boys (aged 16 and 2), while Bridget is a Scientist.  While Jarrah struggles to fit in the teenage crowd at school, Toby is the light of everyone's lives.  Life throws them an exciting new opportunity when Finn's agent calls to let them know that his work made it to a new show, but he must finish a couple of pieces quickly.  This requires a slight shift in family responsibilities, but Bridget is happy to accommodate, in order for Finn's dream to come true.  As they all prepare for the day, the unthinkable happens, and their lives are changed forever.

This is the story of a family struggling to make it through an unbearable grief, both trying to protect each other, and trying hard not to blame each other.  Highly recommended.
Intimate, raw and beautiful."—Bryan Reardon, New York Times bestselling author of Finding Jake

“A captivating, visceral, beautifully written story…The characters were so real and relatable that I was riveted.”—Robyn Harding, international bestselling author of The Party

This is a deeply emotional story of a family who make a life change, moving to a new city, different weather and careers.
Just as the familyof four are starting to adjust, the unthinkable tradgedy of loosing a child, happens.

In the devastating aftermath, questions are raised about what really happened? And who's to blame.  The outcome that follows braks the heart and soul of this family unit.  Will they survive?

In the Blink of an Eye - a perfectly fitting title to this story.
Anything can happen Inthe Blink of an Eye.

Huge praise for Jesse Blackadder. Looking forward to more from this author in the future.
This book is tragic, yet beautiful. It’s about love: losing love, finding love, enduring and lasting love. It wasn’t perfect and at first I almost gave up on it, but I hung in there until the end and am glad I did. This story could happen to anyone and there is no right or wrong response to the grief of losing someone, of not knowing how exactly that person went to their death, and blaming everyone and no one and yourself all at once. It was an ARC from NetGalley and I’m sure it will be polished to a brilliant shine before publishing day, but it’s a good story as is.