Montauk

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2019

A masterpiece! A book of sheer beauty, delightful, vivid and mesmerizing. This is a book to sit down and get lost in. A book written so beautifully that I felt like I was there in Montauk.

This book deserves and award. The raw emotion and sheer beauty of how this book was written is something that should be loved, cherished and breathed in. Horray for Montauk!!

Thank you NetGalley for my free e-copy of Montauk by Nicola Harrison!
It's 1938 and the wealthy citizens of New York come out to Long Island, Montauk to be precise, for a fun/sun filled summer.  For 12 weeks they are staying at a 200 room resort where they will be indulged, where they will play and get away from the hustle and bustle of the big city.  Once a small fishing village, now a playground for the "rich and famous."  However, not everyone is overly excited about the prospect of a 12 week vacation, especially those whose husbands will only be coming up for weekends.

A lower to middle class college educated wife, a wealthy husband and a marriage falling apart. Such is the life of Beatrice Bordeaux, whose husband Harry will be among the weekenders.  She will be staying by herself at The Montauk Manor, summer residence of society wives...she is not happy that he won't be with her for the summer.  Added to her disappointment, after being married for 5 years, she struggles and longs to have a baby.  As for Harry, he is installing Beatrice there, encouraging her to make friends with these women to help further his interest and investment in the resort.  How does she feel about this, is she comfortable to be away from her husband and only see him on weekends?  You don't have to wait long to feel the tension between the couple...right out of the gate you can feel it.  How does Beatrice handle her summer, how does she feel in a social setting that she is neither comfortable with or accustomed to?  More than anything, she is clearly out of her element.

Historically speaking, it is interesting to get a glimpse of the 30's, with its different set of conventions, the social differences between the classes.  Well written and quite enjoyable, this debut novel is one I would recommend.

My thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Montauk is my first introduction to Nicola Harrison's books. I thought this book was great. I am giving it a well deserved five plus stars.
While I didn't necessarily love the plot/storyline of the story, I did really enjoy the imagery. I want a summer by the sea in Montauk and fans of that area of the country will feel the same way.
Thought author Nicola Harrison did a fine job (on her debut) of bringing the summer of 1938 MONTAUK Manor and the neighboring small village characters to life.  The story of Beatrice, her humble beginnings, struggles with her sleaze of a husband and interaction with the obnoxious women of high society were interesting and at times even funny.

Although slow going at first and mostly predictable (aside from the ending) enjoyed mention of historic figures of the time and the romantic interlude, but overall just an okay read for me.

***Many thanks to St. Martin's Press via NetGalley for the arc in exchange for an honest review***
Thank you to Net Galley and St. Martin's Press for the chance to read and review this book. This is a very good debut novel! Beatrice Bordeaux goes to vacation for 12 week on Montauk. She is not all that excited about it, but her jet setter husband Harry tells her to go. Beatrice is a little different from all the gossipy, rich women and doesn't seem to really fit in. This is the story of how Beatrice finds herself and reaches out for what she really wants in life. I can't wait for the next story by this author!
This book was just okay for me. Kind of predictable. Wasn't awful, but not at all memorable. It was kind of interesting seeing how the upper class people wets to the lower. Obviously liked the main character cause she was different.
Nicola Harrison delivers a beautifully enriched historical fiction novel with aspects of romance.

The story takes place in 1938 on a beautiful island and we all step into a time period wrapped in male/female societal roles and norms.

I am always hesitant to read historical novels because they're not me favorite genre but I was so impressed with Nicola Harrison's debut. She truly has a way with her words and writing style!

I think alone I would read another book by her because I was truly so enamored with her writing!!

I was fascinated with the characters and how much the societal norms were ingrained in so many individuals back then.

I really liked the romance act to it as well..... if you're not a romance person than I may say this isn't for you?

My only minor issue with this one was it was a tad long for me a very slow slow burn. I was loving her writing but wanted something to pick up in the beginning.

Overall, this was an enjoyable and beautiful read.

3.75 stars rounded up!

Thank you to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for the arc in exchange for an honest review.

Published to Goodreads: 2/8/19
Publication date: 6/4/19
Was interested in the title from story line and location. It was an enjoyable read but nothing exceptional.. if it wasn't for the location and my familiarity that I wouldnt have been able to finish.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from St. Martin's Press through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. Thank you to Nicola Harrison, St. Martin's Press, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.

This book was just lovely. The descriptions of the opulence of the time - 1938 rich New Yorkers in Montauk - was perfect. The characters were fully fleshed-out including foibles and flaws. The location was beautiful helped make the writing even more perfect. Just well-done for a first-time novelist. I cannot wait to read more by Nicola Harrison!

Highly recommend - this will be a GREAT summer read!!
Thank you NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to review this book.  Montauk by Nicola Harrison.  This book was a very good period piece book.  This book was hard to put down. It drew me in as for me means I’m up late reading. No spoilers. If you get the opportunity please check this one out. Highly recommend.
This was a wonderful period piece about Montauk in the late 1930's and its early popularity among the high society set. Montauk was just a simple fishing village when the wealthy decided to make it a go-to summer destination. This book examines the dynamics between the year-round Montauk residents and the society folk who bring jobs and money but also cause rifts in the normally peaceful village. It provides a detailed look into the life of the rich and prosperous - their clothes, children, marriages, and social codes. It's a wonderful love story as well that ties it all together. I loved reading about this time in history. The book is beautifully written and sucks you in from page 1. I would highly recommend this!
This book is soapy, and plucky, and fun. It was an unputdownable read until the very end. I thought that Beatrice's story was well told, and I was rooting for her as she made her way through society's rules to ultimately be true to herself. The ending is rather abrupt, I mean, I guess I get it, but it was just kind of done too quickly and I feel like it could have been fleshed out a little. The pacing of the rest of the book was good.

I could easily see this being one of Reese Witherspoon's book picks when the book comes out, and I also was casting the story in my head as I read it.

Well done. Thanks for the chance to read this one, Netgalley! I will be recommending it highly.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC ecopy for my Kindle.
Set during the depression in a fishing village on Long Island, the privilege families escape their busy city lives and vacation here during part or all of the summer. The main character Bea has married a wealthy man and even though she has a college education, women during this time and her social status do not work outside the home.  Also, after being married 5 yrs., she has failed to give her husband a heir.
This is a romance novel including forbidden love along with heartaches.  The ending was rushed but seems like Bea may have the life she wanted after all.
Beatrice Bordeaux has essentially been abandoned by her husband, Harry, at the resort called Montauk. The year is 1938, and Montauk is a playground for wealthy Manhattan wives. Beatrice is a wealthy Manhattan wife, but she doesn't fit in with these women. She is dismayed that her husband will spend most of his time in the city while she's stuck at Montauk. Their marriage is rocky, and Harry is likely having affairs. They have been unable to have children as well. Beatrice meets someone and begins to spend her time with him. And it's 1938, so there are many rules of society that Beatrice is breaking.  Will this end well? Can a married couple survive living separate lives?  It's a fascinating story with beautiful descriptions of the time period and place. It's like I was there. An excellent read for historical fiction fans. Thanks to NetGalley for an arc in exchange for an honest review.
This book was just okay for me. It was a good debut and i would try this author again. I enjoy historical fiction so the setting and vivid descriptions were good but I didn’t like the characters. They felt superficial and I was unable to care about them which made the book feel a little too long. I am sure romance readers will enjoy but I would have liked a little more depth to the characters. #netgalley
The book that doesn't require to concentrate and pay full attention. Easy read, something to take on holiday and have by the pool while sipping cocktails.
First, thank you to NetGalley (St. Martin's Press) for a delightful e-book copy of this book to enjoy and review.
I found this first novel by Nicola Harrison delightful and fun to read.  Takes place on Long Island in the fishing village of Montouk in 1938 , so all a win-win for me.  Beatrice Bordeaux (Bea) is introduced to the elite of Long Island by her husband Harry showing her his "lifestyle" and a summer at the Montouk Manor.  Her life changes rapidly, with many ups and down among her friends at the Manor - only to be attracted to another man, Thomas, who takes her on a different journey.  The story has a happy ending, but not to be expected. You must read this one - and I look forward to Harrison's next.
This book grabbed me from the very first page it was engrossing to read how the other half lived. Probably before air conditioning!!
Thanks to net galley for a preview copy.
Montauk opens in 1938. Bea's husband unexpectedly changes their plans for summer.  She will spend weekdays at a Montauk hotel with  other privileged wives of Manhattan.  Her husband will stay in the city and join her on weekends.  That is the plan.  She knows her marriage is troubled, but she lives in a society in which women are measured by their husbands wealth and position. It's important to keep up appearances.  She is childless and searches for her identity.  Never having been comfortable with society members, Bea explores the area and strikes up relationships that will change her life.

With engaging writing, the author introduces readers to a world of a different time.  She brings to life vivid characters and seamlessly blends their stories together.
This is a poignant and memorable story.  Highly recommended.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through St. Martin's Press and NetGalley.  The opinions expressed in this review are my own.