The Mother-in-Law

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

I try not to give out 5 stars too often but this one was special and deserving in terms of how much I enjoyed it and took away from it. I went into this thinking it would just be a typical mother in law story but there was so much more to it than that. It explored not just the mother and daughter in law relationship but also the dynamics between child/parent, husband/wife, and siblings. It was one of those reading experiences in which you seriously start reflecting on your own life and how you deal with family members.
Lucy, the daughter-in-law in this book, desperately wants to bond with her mother-in-law, Diana, but finds it quite difficult to accomplish.   Hepworth is such a good writer with many intuitive descriptions of a complicated relationship.  The story had suspenseful moments but the constant back and forth between chapters was a bit distracting.
I have found that after reading so many titles in the suspense and mystery genres, it becomes easy to predict the twists and outcomes. This was not the case for The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth. This unique mystery kept me guessing who could have possibly murdered Diana, with so many characters in play with their own struggles with her largely misunderstood persona, but also had me smiling through the typical mother-in-law antics and struggles that many women know too well.
Diana and Lucy, mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. Never meant to be as close as Lucy would have liked. I found Lucy to be a bit needy and unrealistic in her expectations of her relationship with Diana. Having lost her mother at a young age, she craved the maternal love that she had missed all these years. Unfortunately for Lucy, Diana was not going to be the one to provide her with this. Diana was not so much evil as awkward and unable to behave "correctly" in social situations (even though some of the things she did were questionable.) When Diana ends up dead of an apparent suicide, fingers are pointing at the family due to the sizable fortune that was to be gained from her demise.
I was hoping I’d getinto this book, but it definitely didn’t happen. I’ve tried other books by this author and I think I just don’t like her style.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book about the dynamics of mother-in-law/daughter-in-law. Lucy is the daughter-in-law and, after losing her own mother, all she wants is a relationship with her mother-in-law, Diana. This book jumps back and forth between the present and the past and gives Diana's view and Lucy's view. That makes the story more interesting because you can see why Diana is the way that she is. Also, you keep wondering if she killed herself or if she was murdered.
Unfortunately I was unimpressed with this story. It has many great reviews, so I may be in the minority here. I need my stories to have characters I enjoy reading about, even if they are heavily flawed. These characters all felt shallow and one dimensional which prevented me from becoming engrossed in the story.
I received this copy for free to read and review by Netgalley. This book ended up being nothing like what I had expected in the best way possible. I was expecting a creepy and intense murder mystery, but instead it focused so much more on family and the relationships within it. How they change and grow (or diminish) from what situation to another. The ending was nothing like what I had expected, and that is why I ended up loving this book so much.
“Someone once told me that you have two families in your life – the one you are born into and the one you choose. Yes, you may get to choose your partner, but you don’t choose your mother-in-law. The cackling mercenaries of fate determine it all.”

The pure craziness of this story and the shocking ending…WOW! I am still speechless. What a thrill ride!

Thankfully, I am very lucky in the mother-in-law department but I have heard some horror stories! The intense pressure to impress is real and that’s exactly what Lucy has been trying to do the moment she met her mother-in-law Diana.

In The Mother-In-Law though, there are defiantly two sides to every story! You get both sides and many more in this engaging domestic thriller. You’ll be thrown into a family full of secrets and lies and you’ll be trying to catch your breath once you get to the end.

I could not put The Mother-In-Law down, it’s twisty and incredibly addicting. I was hooked on the characters and the story being unwound that kept me guessing all the way until the end. Even when the end came, I was utterly shocked! I didn’t expect anything that happened in this book and I couldn’t have been more satisfied.

I defiantly recommend going in blind with this one, you’ll be so happy you did. It’s shocking, twisted and extremely satisfying. Anyone who loves a family based thriller will be happy with this one! I highly recommend :).
This was my first Sally Hepworth novel and I was not disappointed. The Mother-in-Law is a perfect summer read that focuses on the complicated relationship between a mother and daughter-in-law. Full of family drama, secrets, and twists, the story is sure to keep you reading and trying to figure out the mysterious circumstances of the family matriarchs death.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
4 Stars! Lots of family drama here and I liked it. Very well drawn out characters I could relate to.
We start out knowing Diana (Lucy's mother in law) has been found dead. Her family believes it to be a suicide, but is it really? Lucy had a difficult relationship with Diana. As the story unfolds we see a lot more about that. It also turns out that some other family members had a difficult relationship with Diana. I felt at times I understood that, as she came across cold and unfeeling to her children. She seemed selfish and uncaring to me for much of the early part of the book. Some things come to light that made me feel I could understand a bit more about her, but she was a hard character to like.

This was a very well written book and I am interested in reading other books by Sally Hepworth. While some may go into this thinking it is a mystery it is really more contemporary fiction. I read this with the group The Traveling Sisters and the discussion we had made it all the more interesting. It was enjoyed by most everyone in the group.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for a digital copy to review. I recommend it!
Lucy hopes that she and her mother in law, Diana, will have a loving mother/daughter relationship but that doesn't come to pass. When Diana dies suddenly from what first appears to be a suicide but quickly turns into a homicide investigation Lucy finds herself answering questions and wondering which person who hated her mother in law did her in.
A great page turner with pace and tension that kept me turning the pages until the end. Thanks to NG and the publisher for the advance copy,
Sally Hepworth is quickly becoming a go-to author for me.  I enjoyed this book even more than The Family Next Door.  I loved that we got pieces of this story from the past, present, and future- and I really appreciated the alternating narrators- I liked having insight into each character’s thoughts and motivations, and it gave so much insight to Diana and her reasoning behind her actions and personality.  I also didn’t expect the revelation of what actually happened regarding Diana’s death! Can’t wait to read the next book from this author- I’ll blindly read anything she writes at this point!
The Mother-In-Law examines relationships between members of the family.  Through Sally Hepworth's writing in the perspective of the female characters, the reader is able to gain a knowledge of their backgrounds and how perceptions may not always correct.  We find out at the beginning of the story that Diana is dead and that the causes surrounding it are suspicious.  While the storyline unfolds we are brought into the investigation and suspense of what happened to Diana.  I enjoy stories that captivate me from the beginning and focus on relationships of the characters as this book did and recommend it to those who like these style books as well.
Having enjoyed Sally Hepworth's book The Family Next Door, I knew that this book would be just as enjoyable. When I first read the title of this book ,The Mother In Law, I figured it was going to be a book about an evil mother in law who is out to destroy her child's life. But I was wrong. Diana was a mother that loved her kids but also wasn't one to give in to their wants and whims. I really had a soft spot for her. Yes, she made mistakes especially when it came to Nettie and her husband.. The ending was not a big shocker but I still enjoyed it. I really look forward to more books by this author.
A twisty novel about a complicated mother-in-law that let it be know that her son's wife was not up to her standards.  When Diana, the mother in law, is found with a suicide note that indicates she can not continue to live with her cancer an autopsy reveals there is no cancer, but traces of poison are found.  Who would want her dead?
This book was NOT what I expected, but it was a great reminder that we all have challenges we're facing and even those closest to us may not know what they are. I had figured out the whodunit part way through, but I just had to know how it all came to be. It also made me think about some of the challenging people in my life and what’s going on.

I enjoyed the book, but I didn't find the characters particularly compelling or engaging. They were likable enough, but the plot is what kept me reading past my bedtime.
First of all, I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher, St. Martin's Press for the free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This book left me with mixed feelings though.... It was certainly an interesting read. Basically, it's about complex family relations and what lack of communication and empathy towards one another can lead to. I Personally, it took me a while to get into the story since it switches between past and present and chapters are alternatively being told through 2 of the main characters. The mother in law, Diana and her daughter in law Lucy. Having lost her own mother at just 13, Lucy is hoping she will have a close relationship with Diane. However, she soon learns that  Diane is a particularly strong willed, rigid lady.and very hard to warm up to.  I liked the fact that there are flashbacks to the past, explaining the life changing experience that has formed Diane. It changed my opinion of her. Nevertheless, I really craved for the family to come together, open up and have an honest conversation with each other. It frustrated me that all the  family members were so preoccupied with themselves that they didn't notice what was going on with everyone else.  All in all I think this book would make a great book club pick since there are lot's of topics to be discussed and everyone can relate to family issues. It's got a mystery at it's core, but don't expect edge of your seat tension,  it's more of a family drama.
They always say you’re not just marrying your husband but his whole family.  So true! I loved the two points of view...the wife and the mother in law.  The book showed how people can show love so differently. How the mother in law can be trying to do what she thinks is right but still hurt her children in the process.  Great read. I highly recommend! Thanks to netgalley for the advanced reader copy!