The Mother-in-Law

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

This was a quick read, and kept my interest.  It goes back and forth between the present and the past, and different points of view of the characters. It wasn't hard to follow, as I sometimes feel going back and forth between multiple characters will do. I thought I has the ending figured out (the obvious choice), but I was surprised. I will definitely be looking into reading more books by this author.
This was just an average read for me.  There are definitely parts of the book (towards the end in particular) and parts of the characters that I enjoyed (Diana's backstory), but overall I didn't feel connected to the characters at all.  The big reveal of what caused Diana's death should/could have been shocking but by that point I didn't much care anymore.
This has been advertised as a thriller but it is more like contemporary fiction  involving a mystery.

I throughly enjoyed the development of the relationship between Lucy and her mother in law.

Nothing was as it seemed and the author really leftvuou questioning who could have killed the mother in law? The story was intricatelyvwoven, all loose ends were resolved and it was very though provoking.

Thank you Net Galley for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
Lucy and her mother in law Diana have never really gotten along all that well. Nothing too unusual or suspicious about that, until Diana is found dead with a suicide note. The note reveals she has cancer and doesn't want to live anymore....questions start to be raised about Lucy however once it is discovered that Diana didn't have cancer. Was it really suicide or a hastily covered up murder by Lucy? How far will people go when they don't get along well with their in laws?! An addictive read that had me spellbound until the very end. My first time reading a Sally Hepworth book and it won't be my last. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC on exchange for a fair and honest review. #themotherinlaw #sallyhepworth #goodreads #netgalley #bookstagram #tea_sipping_bookworm #kindle #amazon #forreadingaddicts #macmillanusa
This is the first book I've read by Sally Hepworth and it definitely will not be the last.  I really enjoyed the depth of the characters, the intrigue, the relationships.  Even though the book went back and forth from one person to another and from past to present, it was easy enough to follow.  Each chapter has a header to let you know who is "speaking" and what time period is involved.

The author does a wonderful job of bringing you into the story from page one and then developing the background so you understand how things have evolved to the present point.  There is enough conflict among the characters to enhance the intrigue.

I really appreciate receiving an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.  I am looking forward to reading more books by this author!
The premise of ” after x’s death ” is not a new one but the choice of the MIL – DIL relationship as the focal point for the narrative of the family’s dynamics is new . Both are very engaging  & often witty and their voices are done well .  Through Diana’s and Lucy’s narratives , we come to understand their relationship in a way which they never would , because we get an uncensored view into their mind workings . The host of secondary characters have also come out well .

I have a few things which did not sit well with me though….

For one thing , there were too many sub-texts / afterthoughts within the parentheses ,  which I felt , cramped the free flow of the narrative . Another thing which I thought was very unnecessary is the time-stamping throughout the book . . The voices of both Diana and Lucy are very distinct and the reader can easily get to know who is speaking and of which time-frame the narrator is speaking about . I think the readers today have been exposed quite well to alternating time-frame narrations and multiple POVs that they don’t require much help from the author by way of PAST and PRESENT time stamps along with the narrator’s name at the start of every chapter . Read the complete review at
Wow!  This book was fantastic.  I read it in one sitting, around 2.5 hours; I simply could not put the book down!  Sally Hepworth is a phenomenal author and I have read a couple of her previous books.  I am hooked!
This story has a couple of different narrators: Lucy and Diana.  The time changes from past to present, which is clearly noted on each chapter.  The flashbacks to the past are interesting and provide a deeper look into this family.  Lucy is a young mother, who wants nothing more than approval from her mother-in-law Diana.  Diana is seemingly cold-hearted and not interested in any kind of relationship with Lucy.
One day, the police come to the home of Lucy and Oliver to announce Diana has passed of an apparent suicide.  However, it turns out it may not be as simple as that.  Throughout this story, you learn more and more about a seemingly perfect but far from it family.  A must-read for mystery lovers.
Thank you to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This is more of a family drama than a mystery/thriller. The matriarch of a family seemingly commits suicide. While the police work to figure out of it was foul play or not, the narrative goes between alternating POV of mother and daughter-in-law, past and present. It was a decent family drama but I was expecting more of a mystery book.

I received an advanced copy through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
If your in the market for a family drama thriller than look no further. This was an addictive fast paced addictive storyline.

The story starts with the family learning of Diana's death, Lucy's mother-in-law. Told in chapters by the past and present you begin to piece together what may have been the cause of Diana's death as well as all the problems the family is facing. The ending is definitely not one that I saw coming. I think that reader's will be surprised by the twists.

This was a highly enjoyable book that I would recommend to thriller fans. A perfect summertime read! Once I started I had a hard time dragging myself away from it!
I try not to give out 5 stars too often but this one was special and deserving in terms of how much I enjoyed it and took away from it. I went into this thinking it would just be a typical mother in law story but there was so much more to it than that. It explored not just the mother and daughter in law relationship but also the dynamics between child/parent, husband/wife, and siblings. It was one of those reading experiences in which you seriously start reflecting on your own life and how you deal with family members.
Lucy, the daughter-in-law in this book, desperately wants to bond with her mother-in-law, Diana, but finds it quite difficult to accomplish.   Hepworth is such a good writer with many intuitive descriptions of a complicated relationship.  The story had suspenseful moments but the constant back and forth between chapters was a bit distracting.
I have found that after reading so many titles in the suspense and mystery genres, it becomes easy to predict the twists and outcomes. This was not the case for The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth. This unique mystery kept me guessing who could have possibly murdered Diana, with so many characters in play with their own struggles with her largely misunderstood persona, but also had me smiling through the typical mother-in-law antics and struggles that many women know too well.
Diana and Lucy, mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. Never meant to be as close as Lucy would have liked. I found Lucy to be a bit needy and unrealistic in her expectations of her relationship with Diana. Having lost her mother at a young age, she craved the maternal love that she had missed all these years. Unfortunately for Lucy, Diana was not going to be the one to provide her with this. Diana was not so much evil as awkward and unable to behave "correctly" in social situations (even though some of the things she did were questionable.) When Diana ends up dead of an apparent suicide, fingers are pointing at the family due to the sizable fortune that was to be gained from her demise.
I was hoping I’d getinto this book, but it definitely didn’t happen. I’ve tried other books by this author and I think I just don’t like her style.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book about the dynamics of mother-in-law/daughter-in-law. Lucy is the daughter-in-law and, after losing her own mother, all she wants is a relationship with her mother-in-law, Diana. This book jumps back and forth between the present and the past and gives Diana's view and Lucy's view. That makes the story more interesting because you can see why Diana is the way that she is. Also, you keep wondering if she killed herself or if she was murdered.
Unfortunately I was unimpressed with this story. It has many great reviews, so I may be in the minority here. I need my stories to have characters I enjoy reading about, even if they are heavily flawed. These characters all felt shallow and one dimensional which prevented me from becoming engrossed in the story.
I received this copy for free to read and review by Netgalley. This book ended up being nothing like what I had expected in the best way possible. I was expecting a creepy and intense murder mystery, but instead it focused so much more on family and the relationships within it. How they change and grow (or diminish) from what situation to another. The ending was nothing like what I had expected, and that is why I ended up loving this book so much.
“Someone once told me that you have two families in your life – the one you are born into and the one you choose. Yes, you may get to choose your partner, but you don’t choose your mother-in-law. The cackling mercenaries of fate determine it all.”

The pure craziness of this story and the shocking ending…WOW! I am still speechless. What a thrill ride!

Thankfully, I am very lucky in the mother-in-law department but I have heard some horror stories! The intense pressure to impress is real and that’s exactly what Lucy has been trying to do the moment she met her mother-in-law Diana.

In The Mother-In-Law though, there are defiantly two sides to every story! You get both sides and many more in this engaging domestic thriller. You’ll be thrown into a family full of secrets and lies and you’ll be trying to catch your breath once you get to the end.

I could not put The Mother-In-Law down, it’s twisty and incredibly addicting. I was hooked on the characters and the story being unwound that kept me guessing all the way until the end. Even when the end came, I was utterly shocked! I didn’t expect anything that happened in this book and I couldn’t have been more satisfied.

I defiantly recommend going in blind with this one, you’ll be so happy you did. It’s shocking, twisted and extremely satisfying. Anyone who loves a family based thriller will be happy with this one! I highly recommend :).
This was my first Sally Hepworth novel and I was not disappointed. The Mother-in-Law is a perfect summer read that focuses on the complicated relationship between a mother and daughter-in-law. Full of family drama, secrets, and twists, the story is sure to keep you reading and trying to figure out the mysterious circumstances of the family matriarchs death.

Thank you to the publishers and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
4 Stars! Lots of family drama here and I liked it. Very well drawn out characters I could relate to.
We start out knowing Diana (Lucy's mother in law) has been found dead. Her family believes it to be a suicide, but is it really? Lucy had a difficult relationship with Diana. As the story unfolds we see a lot more about that. It also turns out that some other family members had a difficult relationship with Diana. I felt at times I understood that, as she came across cold and unfeeling to her children. She seemed selfish and uncaring to me for much of the early part of the book. Some things come to light that made me feel I could understand a bit more about her, but she was a hard character to like.

This was a very well written book and I am interested in reading other books by Sally Hepworth. While some may go into this thinking it is a mystery it is really more contemporary fiction. I read this with the group The Traveling Sisters and the discussion we had made it all the more interesting. It was enjoyed by most everyone in the group.

Many thanks to St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for a digital copy to review. I recommend it!