The Mother-in-Law

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Apr 2019

I finished my first NetGalley read, The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth and I was not disappointed. Throughout the book the narration is by both Diana, the mother-in-law and Lucy, the daughter-in-law. The chapters also switch back and forth between the past and the present. I felt like each chapter from Diana or Lucy’s past was like peeling an onion of their relationship. We learn so much about them as individuals and as a family {via marriage} it gives you a sense of who these two ladies are. Their pasts along with the present day of trying to find out how Diana died was enough to have me turning pages so quickly to find out what happened. Every time I thought I knew ... I had no idea. This story was a little thriller, a little who done it, and a lot of family drama all rolled into one. A must add to your TBR list for 2019! Thank you Netgalley and St. Marina Press for the opportunity to read and provide an honest review of this book.
Thanks for the early review copy!

I picked this up because of the cover. It was a well-written thriller with interesting characters. I recommend this book to fans of adult mysteries.
I am a sucker for family drama, so this book had me from the blurb. A great balance of thriller and domestic drama that worked very nicely. I look forward to enjoying the author's other works.
Lucy has been looking for a mother figure for most of her life and hopes to have finally found that in Diana, her mother in law. But that’s not to be the case. Now Diana is dead and the police want to know who is responsible. With a broad cast of characters, it could be anyone.
The ending was great and the book was a page turner. You won’t be sorry for reading this one!
This is a great read.  The author makes you care about the characters. Do not think that it is all feel good just like life it takes a turn and you will find yourself wanting to rush to end of the book to find out on things turn out (don't do it). It is well written and you will not want to stop reading until you get to the end.
I've been hooked on Sally Hepworth's books since discovering her via The Family Next Door earlier this year. It's been great going back and reading her earlier works, but I was super excited to get NetGalley approved for her new book: The Mother in Law.

Since the death of her mother Lucy has been seeking a maternal figure in her life. When she meets Ollie, she has high hopes his mother will fill that void in her life. Ollie's mother, Diana, is cold and distant though, not at all what Lucy was hoping for. One night the police turn up on Lucy and Ollie's door step with the news that Diana is dead, and everyone is lift wondering, what happened?

The story is told is present time through Lucy's point of view, and flashbacks to the past through from both Lucy and Diana's perspectives. Normally I'm not a fan of changing perspectives, but in this instance I really enjoyed it and thought it was well done. When one of the characters thought the others behaviour was strange, we would get to see inside their head and see the justification for that behaviour. These little insights really helped flesh out Lucy and Diana's characters.

I was utterly hooked, and actually knocked over the majority of the book in one sitting because I just did not want to put it down, I needed to know what happened next. And now it's over, I feel strangely lonely.

Another incredible read from Sally Hepworth. I'm seriously in love with this woman's writing.....but now I have to wait even longer for more....

**I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
Something about this book that I can’t quite put my finger on, stuck out to me when I was browsing books to request. From the moment I started reading, I knew this book was one that I would not be able to put down. In fact, I found myself reading the whole thing in just a few hours.

Sally hooks you from the start with a book full of characters you think you’ve figured out, only to later realize you couldn’t be more wrong. Through the twists and turns of this book, you are left guessing til the very end. An end that you never really see coming, yet it makes all the sense in the world.
I just finished “The Mother- in -Law” and am speechless. I’ll be processing this book for days. Everything about this story was amazing. I laughed, cried, and felt so many emotions you’d think the characters were my actual family members. I’ve read over 100 books this year, and it is my favorite one (I don’t say that lightly). It is Sally Hepworth at her best.
This new compelling novel by Sally Hepworth will have you rapidly turning pages to follow the twisted path to the surprise ending. This novel is Sally Hepworth at her very best and one of my favorite books of the year.

When you get married, you become part of your husband's family. Most important of all is the mother-in-law that you gain. She can welcome you as part of the family or make your life a living hell because of her dislike of you. I won't admit which side I ended up on except to say that I really identified with Lucy. When Lucy meets her husband's family for the first time, she has dreams of her mother in law replacing her mother who died years earlier. She thought that they could become friends. She found out very quickly that Diana doesn't want to be her friend and really isn't it very nice to her. Five years later, after numerous battles large and small, Diana is found dead and Lucy is left to wonder who is to blame.

Lucy is a fantastic character - written like someone that you know - flaws and all. In the beginning of her marriage she tries so hard to make Diana like her but as their battles continue, she asserts her independence. By the time Diana is found dead any one of several characters could be to blame - was it suicide or was it someone in the family? As I read, my person to blame changed over and over until I got to the surprise ending that was just perfect!

Clear your calendar before you start The Mother-in-Law because you won't want to put the book down until the end.

Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book to read and review. All opinions are my own.
I was given this book from NetGalley for an honest review-
There are two sides to every story.  Lucy meets her cold rich mother in law.
The  mother in law meets Lucy and doesn't know what to think - so begins the relationship.
The mother in law has struggled all her life to make a living and expects this from her family too.  She doesn't believe in hand outs although her husband tends to slip things to the children.
Lucy's husband's business is going bottoms up.  The daughter wants a baby and need money for fertility shots.   The son in law is sick of baby wishing and begins having affairs.
And then - the mother in law is found dead!
Who killed her?
Sally Hepworth’s novel is about an Australian family, their relationships to each other and their communication, or lack there of.  When Lucy marries Ollie she longs for a warm and loving surrogate mother.  Instead she finds her mother-in-law cold and formal, and they have trouble understanding each other. But five years later when Diana commits suicide Lucy is startled to realize how much she misses her, and when murder is suspected, she is even more surprised, especially as they’re all under suspicion.  The chapters alternate for the most part with Lucy and Diana, moving from past to present forming a complete picture as we get to know Ollie, his sister, Nellie, Patrick, her husband, and Tom, Diana’s beloved husband. This novel is a nuanced psychological thriller that drew me in from the first sentence until it’s startling but great conclusion. I highly recommend this books. Thanks for the chance to read an advance copy and give an honest review.
I’ve loved everything I’ve ever read by Sally Hepworth and this is no exception! Great storytelling and writing style. This was a very compelling storyline about a somewhat complex family (aren’t they all!?) who has wealth and issues. Unfortunately some life lessons are a painful experience but we all have to learn to deal - or we can’t deal and the results aren’t pretty.
This just did not interest me. I completed the novel, but only to find out who was guilty. It was not at all twisty.
Powerful book of family dynamics in an Australian setting. The relationship between the protagonist and her Mother-in-law never came up to the trusted and loving levels she had hoped for, being that she lost her mother at the age of 13 and longed for that closeness. Story goes back and forth through time, giving information that fleshes out the characters of the family.

Mystery of how Diana (the matriarch and Mother-in-law) died gives weight to each of the middle generations opportunity and motivations to kill her. Ongoing police investigation, anguish over insurmountable infertility issues, financial fiascos and expected huge looming inheritance all play parts.

I loved this book. The story was interesting, family dynamics understandable, and character development rich and satisfying. I look forward to reading further books by Sally Hepworth.
The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth is not the normal "evil mother-in-law" scenario.  The wide range of  relationships in the story fits the saying,  "it's complicated" to a "T".  The characters are very well presented and each is relatable in their own unique  way.  The family dynamics feel genuine and not contrived.  The mystery does hold throughout the book until the very end.  Highly recommended.

Thank you to the publisher, author, and NetGalley for the opportunity to preview the book.
I really enjoyed this story. The alternating past and present was done perfectly and led up to the big reveal at the end of what really happened. It was a good pace and I really enjoyed the writing style.
Thank you to Net Galley and St. Martin's Press for an advance of this title in exchange for my honest review.  I thought I recognized the name of the author, but wasn't certain.  I also thought I understood the plot of this book before I started reading it.  I was wrong.  This book was so intriguing and the characters well done.  I felt I learned more about the characters as the story went on, and the way I felt about some of them completely flipped during my reading.  Afterward, realized I had read another of the author's books, AND I took the opportunity to read another...also spot on! I added Sally Hepworth as an author to follow, and I think you'd love this title!
This was different than what I expected but this is a good thing! It was not the typical cliche mother-in-law story.
The Mother-in-Love is a riveting read that kept me hanging on to each and every word! This is one of those books that no matter how much you want to put it down you simply can't! I was so engrossed in the story that even when someone tried to talk to me, I barely heard a word.

Readers, this is a must read! I absolutely recommend it.
Interesting story of family dynamics and murder. Different communication styles create distrust and dislike through generations. This one is worth your time