Cover Image: Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue

I really enjoyed this book a lot. The characters were clever and engaging, and getting to spend time with them was a treat. I liked the writing too - it was descriptive without ever veering into flowery territory, and I would certainly be interested in reading more work by this author. The cover is great too!
A really fun book that orchestrates a romance across countries with two royals - the son of the US president and a royal British. The banter was one of the strongest elements of the book, as well as calling attention to race and gender in important ways.
This was truly a good book and had all the feels! I also loved that it was such a quick read. I literally read it in a day! Lots of fun, humor, love, and heartbreak, and let’s not forget the steamy scenes!!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
This is a stunning story that will hook you from the very first page. The romance is cute and fluffy, but there's enough drama that you'll be on the edge of your seat for the entire read. I'd definitely recommend this for anyone just starting out with romance. It's plenty of fun (and you have the added bonus of the author poking fun at politics).
I have recommended this book to so many people! It was a fun romance featuring some political intrigue, with a feel-good ending. The audiobook was particularly great! Thank you to the publisher.
History, huh?

HUHHHHHHHHHDGXSAGVJKJFBYUDHBTHCB

Do you ever cry thinking of what could have been? Do you ever cry reading an acknowledgments page? DO YOU EVER CRY AND LAUGH OUT LOUD AND SCREAM AND SMILE SO DAMN HARD OVER A BOOK?

I never do - but this did it.
Wow wow wow! I never expected this book to blow me away from the way it did! My first impressions when I read this book that it was going to be a fun and fluffy romance that celebrates queer joy! But not only did I get queer joy out of this book I also got the kind of romance that leaves you completely breathless and it was total wish fulfillment when it came to the political landscape of the novel.

In Red, White  & Royal Blue Alex is in the kind of ideal world we all wish we could live in. His mom is the first female President and he has political aspirations of his own. Until he meets Prince Henry and he gets thrown in for a loop! The hate to love romance that he develops with Henry is the kind of romance that you will never forget. The hate between these two grew into this pure unadulterated romance that seriously made you check the temperature in the room if you know what I mean.

Red, White & Royal Blue completely took me by surprise! I never expected to love a book as much as I did and its seriously the kind of book where you fall in love with all the characters in this novel! Now I just want to see this novel come to life with a Netflix series maybe?
This was a very sweet and fun royal romance.  I liked the enemies to lovers theme, and it shines through here.  I loved Alex as a character and I loved his banter with Henry.  I rooted for them the whole time.  I would highly recommend and cannot wait for more titles from this author.
I, like many others, adored this book. I thought it was sweet and sassy, and had some great character dymamics. I felt like the characters were realistic and kept you engaged. The romance was adorable, sweet and contained what felt like a realistic build up and realistic reactions to problems they faced. They aren't perfect, but they eventually work through things.

My only real complaint is Alex and his highschool friend's story line. I don't think it was well developed at all, and actually took away from the genuine feeling of the overall story arc. It was just kinda thrown in here and there randomly and felt more problematic and fake than adding more backstory to our main characters life. I think it could have been handled much better, as the situation can be a real scenario people face. But the way it was thrown in the story it kinda just felt like the author was trying to tick off a box to fill out a "well rounded" cast of characters. I think it would have benefited the story had it been properly plotted out beforehand if that makes sense? I do seem to be alone in this feeling, but thought it worth noting that it rubbed me the wrong way how it was just tossed in as a plot device in the beginning, then magically given a happily ever after at the very end.

Overall despite the one gripe I had, I found it to be a wonderful book and am excited to see more LGBTQ+ stories in trade pub limelight. I hope stories like this become more normalized ❤️ I highly recommend this book overall!
I think this book would have been a lot better if there was a better balance between the romance and politics. I thought the book was good when it was Alex and Henry together and it's nice to read a mainstream M/M romance.
This was such a cute book! I loved the relationship between Alex and Henry. The side characters were also very fleshed out and fun. I definitely laughed out loud during this book and swooned at parts.
While it took me some time to get to this, it was a thoroughly enjoyable reading experience. The romance was charming with a great deal of chemistry between the leads. I also appreciated the political setting both in the UK and the US. It  represented a political environment that now seems almost quaint. This is a novel that I would read again.
I had never read a male/male romance before, but this was a perfect place to start! The main characters felt so real, and it was definitely bittersweet reading a story about a woman winning a presidential election. I cannot wait for McQuiston's next novel.
This book was a joy to read.  I loved seeing multiple characters learn about themselves and reflect on their lives and that each character helped one another to become their true selves.
A new favorite! I love that this has an alternate future without a Trump presidency. It's such a great book to dive into as a means of escapism. I loved their relationship and banter between them. The ending was perfect. I can't wait to see what this author comes up with next. They're definitely one to watch.
I recieved an ARC of this novel from netgalley in exchange for an honest (and belated) review.

Red, White, and Royal Blue is
a modern and vital portrayal of two young men navigating sexual stereotyping and awakening. While a butterfly-inducing enemies-to-(fake)friends-to-lovers romance, the story and beautiful writing evolve into a moving manifesto about the inherent right of a human to love whomever their heart chooses. It's so close and intimate, you almost feel as if you are intruding on all of the main characters most private moments.  Like both Henry's and Alex's dark and neurotic moods, respectively. But it's about so much more, like politically charged parent-child relations--

"Knowing your parent as the person who raised you isn’t the same as being able to guess their moves as a world leader."

--and the grief of loss--

"The way Henry talks about him is a physical feat, drifting up in the corners with fondness but sagging in the middle under the weight."

It is a much heavier book than one might go into it expecting. It's not just another royal romance or fraught enemies to lovers trope. It reaches beyond its genre and tropes and tells a story that feels real and leaves an actual weight with you.

" 'I’m as much a person and a part of this family as you. I deserve to be happy as much as any of you do. And I don’t think I ever will be if I have to spend my whole life pretending.' "

If your heart doesn't break and soar in equal measure, then I dare say you aren't human,  and there is nothing to be done for it.
SUCH a fun book! Loved the "what if?"-ness of the plot and laughed my way through this refreshingly charming read.
I gave this book a four out five stars. I really like the story, the two main characters and their relationship. I loved the dynamic of the friend group as well. I want to see more of from these characters of after these events took place.
I really wasn't a fan of this novel, despite it having a royal backbone. I'm really surprised, as many others loved it and spent last year (2019) raving about it.
It’s been a while since I truly could not put a book down. As in, when I blearily finished the last page of this delight of a story and glanced at my phone, it was way, way later than I ever stay up. I have no regrets, though! Alex and Henry have a permanent place in my heart.

I think I was hesitant to read this book for many reasons. It’s a royal romance, and I have found very few royal romances work for me. Politics. Blech. I read enough politics in the news; I am cautious about what I let into my romance novels. It was also SO hyped.

Luckily, I decided to dive in and was immediately hooked by the banter, the chemistry between Alex and Henry, and the many epistolary elements that made this 400+ page book fly by. The whole book felt young and fresh in a way many books strive for, and few succeed with. The pop-culture references, the razor-sharp wit, and showing young people as motivated and smart all combined to create an enjoyable book with a message that didn’t hit you over the head.

After reading the acknowledgments, I realized Casey McQuiston did exactly what she set out to do. She created a type of alternate reality that was fun and deftly walked the line between over the top fluff and gritty/emotional/heavy topics. At the end of the day, I just loved the romance between the main characters and relationships with the secondary characters.

I did think the tense was a weird choice and I was sometimes a little confused about who the narrator was. I also wanted a little more oomf in the sex scenes. They were an odd mix of fade to black and open door. Often they ended rather abruptly.

Overall, I adored this book. ADORED. It sucked me in and didn’t let go. I can’t wait to reread to feel all the warm and fuzzies again.

**I received an ARC of this book in order to provide an honest review**