Cover Image: Red, White & Royal Blue

Red, White & Royal Blue

Casey McQuiston is one of the best authors at the moment. Future queer literature needs to take notes. I think it’s impossible to not love this book
McQuiston is an incredible voice in romance. I flipping adored the prince's antics and it was really fun to hear about their best friends. I have recommended this to countless people and ordered several copies for friends.
This book was adorable and when I say that it doesn't mean great. This book was adorable in a way that was a little too cutesy and sugary at times. I think if you're at the beach and wish to breeze through a read then this is right up your alley, but if you're looking for substance then I wouldn't pick this one up.
Oh how I loved this book. It was like the taste of fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Just yummy goodness from start to finish. Romance isn't generally my go to genre, but occasionally I'll stumble across one that just speaks to my soul, and this is that book.
This book is charming and witty - and very prescient. The central romance was very sweeping and gorgeous, and the characters were likeable.
I LOVED THIS BOOK. It was the perfect book to wrap up the 2020 year, especially a year that's hyper-focused on elections. I loved the romance and the political side plot, and the ending was wrapped up perfectly. I would definitely recommend to a friend.
i dont think i can accurately describe how much i adore this book. the reading experience i had was just so fucking fun and just what i needed right now. not to mention, this book is genuinely funny like i highlighted every single time i laughed out loud in my ebook and there's at least three quotes per chapter!!!!!! i think this might be a new all time favourite guys!!!!!!

alex is so fucking dense and i love him and henry is just so gay and poetic and i would die for them both they're my favourite boys and NORA oh my god she was so fun to read about and JUNE the most wonderful supportive sister and BEA is also my baby i just wanted to protect her always after everything guys i just love everyone in this book

i'll admit i have weirdly high knowledge of the american voting system (esp after the real 2020 election am i right lads) but i really appreciated how casey mcquiston explained it while it didnt seem info dumping and it was only the necessary information the reader needed. i greatly appreciated because it didn't completely isolate non-american readers!!!

also the pop culture references didnt seem out of place/unnatural, especially to someone who is as nerdy as the mcs and also around the same age as the mcs (henry is 23 and alex is 22 for a majority of the book for yall who dont know!) i loved reading about characters similar in age to me, especially around the same time year-wise so that was a really fun experience! i know casey was in her late 20s writing this book, so she was definitely in the right age range to be writing about people in their early 20s!
Red, White and Royal Blue was a DELIGHT. Seeing all those 5 stars reviews made me a bit leery but I can happily report those are justified. I loved Alex and Henry, their relationship transforming from enemies to friends and then to lovers in such an achingly slow burn, romantic way, it left me swooning and rooting for them.
“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”

In a parallel universe, in a time where Trump was never in office but a woman is the first female Commander in Chief, whose son is biracial and bisexual with aspirations to become a politician, a time when one of the oldest monarchies has a closeted gay prince, these two are impossible lovers. So I suppose it stands to reason why they have to sneak around. In a political atmosphere that isn't so unlike ours there is a lot of homophobia and bigotry and since Alex's mom is in full re-election campaign mode this secret love affair may kill her chances of winning the election for another term.
“You are", he says, "the absolute worst idea I've ever had.”

I loved every single scene that was built around this storyline. There was so much humor, so much banter with smart, funny comebacks, the text messages between Alex and Henry were a highlight, the love that went in every character of this book was clear as day. Alex and Henry were the main protagonists but vying for the spotlight were all the other side characters, like the second daughter Nora or Alex's sister, June, as well as Zahra, the president's right hand. Every single person in this book had a place and a role to play.

RED, WHITE AND ROYAL BLUE may be a debut but it feels like the author has a lot of experience under her belt. I thoroughly enjoyed myself while experiencing Alex and Henry's love story and I was charmed by their romance. There was a lot of sensual tension between them but I found it refreshing that the author didn't focus on the sex scenes.

"But the truth is, also, simply this: love is indomitable.”

If you love a cute but poignant diverse MM story or want an entrance point into MM romance this is definitely one to highly recommend. I realize that there are also a couple reviews about this story that focus on this book's weaknesses and rightfully so, so please read them, too, and make sure this book may work for you. I for one can't find fault with it and I'll be reading more of this author in the future!

I had the chance to listen to the audiobook and the narrator Ramon de Ocampo did an amazing job portraying all the characters and bringing their individuality into the spotlight. Loved his performance!
It’s was so good 😭 the perfect combination of sass, romance, steam, and cute family relationships. I loved following Alex and Henry’s relationship.
I see why everyone loves this. I do. But I have problems with this.

While I do enjoy reading gay romances (as a member of the LGBT+ community, I believe this is important to show love in all forms), but I had problems with this story. I didn't connect with this story the way I hoped, I really had issues with both our leads and the amount of times I grew more and more frustrated with details, which should be basic knowledge and yet, was completely wrong.

Again, I see why people love this but this just didn't work for me.
This was certainly something... Definitely not a bad read but I’m also not sure it’s worth they hype. For one,  the story had a rudimentary analysis of the problematic aspects of the royal family— all the commentary was facetious.

The romance was not bad, but still left a little to be desired: despite the forbidden affair aspect, Henry and Alex’s relationship felt a little underwhelming. I think their relationship could use a bit more romance or spark.

Otherwise, the story was quite funny and didn’t feel as long as I was expecting it to. 3.5 stars
I don't know how I ended up with this book from Netgalley because I don't tend to read very many romances, but every time I saw someone mention how much they loved it, I would make a mental note to read it, and I finally(!!!) did. I liked it-- the writing was endearing and the characters felt true to life. I skipped over some of the more steamy bits, but I did enjoy the political/campaign setting and I’m all about a happily ever after- especially in 2020.
I've been putting off DNF'ing this book for a while now, over a month I think, but I was really struggling with what to do about it. Part of me didn't want to DNF it, and that's the part that really, really wanted to love it as much as all the 5 star reviews promised I would. Sadly, there's the other part of me, the part that just could <i>not</i> connect with this story nor its characters no matter what.

After a month of me not going back to this book, I think it's time I call it quits.

I'll try to keep this short so here are my three main issues:

1) too much political flafla that I don't care to know about especially not in the context of the world we live in and all the bullshit going on. I'm obviously okay with a bit of political talk, but this book felt like a lesson on American politics and quite frankly...I couldn't care less?

2) this was supposed to be a romance. Yet, of the 49% I read, the story was mostly about Alex and his family and friends (who honestly felt like really flat characters to me, only serving the purpose of checking all the diverse boxes rather than being interesting and/or well-crafted). The entire story (or at least what I've read of it) was only in Alex's POV, which allowed for little page time for Henry (since he was in another country for most of it) which made for again, a two-dimensional prince who honestly felt like a side-character in his own story...

I will say out of all the side characters, Pez was the most intriguing to me, but seeing as he's Henry's bestie, we barely got to see him. And I wasn't interested enough in him to push through to the end.

3) the writing was really weird in places, jumping from one scene to the next in a very disjointed way which made it quite hard to follow. That being said, the copy I had was an ARC, so I'm aware this is not the final product. I'm still mentioning it because I do not know whether the book was truly written this way, or the ARC version was unedited (or perhaps it hadn't been formatted yet which happens sometimes).

Overall, I'm really sad this book did not meet my expectations. I'd like to say it was all because of the hype and that had I found this book randomly I would've liked it more but that would just be untrue. Hyped up or not, Red, White and Royal Blue just wasn't a hit for me.
A cute story involving royal and political sides. Lgbtqia+ Written well, a good story, characters are relatable even though they are "famous"
This was one of the best romcoms of any medium I have encountered in a while. Snappy dialogue, awesome supporting characters, good B plot, and two leads that match perfectly.
Red, White & Royal Blue is the story of two boys in different parts of the world, but having one thing in common: power. Alex Claremont-Diaz is the first Mexican-American son of the United States. Henry is the Prince of England. They both can’t stand each other until one incident forces them to work together…ending up in more ways than one, if you catch my drift.

I can’t remember the last time I read a book that wasn’t young adult. Obviously, Casey’s book is far from young adult and it was so perfect that it got me hunting down even more new adult romances. Honestly, it’s not that easy since there are so many of those romance books that are “harlequin” and cheesy. Or, set on a pirate ship or something. Anyway, on to the actual review.

Alex was so perfect (just like the rest of this book, duh). It doesn’t take long for him to realize that there is something different about the person he thought he knew – his own self. And his own self is bisexual and, obviously, hot for a certain prince. He’s stubborn, but there is so much heart in his body that it may as well have exploded, especially when he is around or thinking about Henry.

Henry, my goodness. I felt so much for this boy. The power that is destined to fall in his hands terrifies him and it’s pretty much based on who he is. He is expected to marry a certain class, follow a set of rules and, yes, be straight. Except he isn’t and falling in love with Alex doesn’t make anything easier. I could feel his heart, along with Alex’s, in this book.

One of my favorite things about this book are the emails they exchange. Obviously it pissed me off with how things played out (I’ll keep that hush right now), but their emails together were so cute, hot and helped tie their relationship together. Who knew that so much technology like ancient emails could bring people closer?

Speaking of being closer, can we talk about their hookups? Hoo boy. The chemistry between the two of them was so !!! I thought my book was going to catch on fire. (Who’s never heard of that one before)?

I still can’t believe this was a debut book. Casey really caught my heart and I wish I could have more of Alex and Henry’s story. I don’t want to let them go and have them sit on my shelf.

I’ve always been a stickler for young adult books. I’ve read some adult romance before, but it’s all scattered throughout the past eight or seven years that you can only grab those by one hand. Sometimes I feel like, at 26, I should be reading more new adult rather than young adult and then I tell myself to shut up. This was my first new adult romance in for I don’t know how many years and I never expected this one book to have me grabbing and researching more of the genre, more that could catch my interest. I’ve grabbed a couple more and I’m definitely going to be on the hunt for more down the road.

Let’s just say, if you are questioning shifting your genres, start with Red, White and Royal Blue. This was the hardest book I had to put down in a while. It was on my NetGalley shelf even before publication and I’ll forever regret not picking it up sooner. Now that I have, I’ll never forget this one and I don’t think I’ll ever forget Casey McQuiston as a new favorite author.
My feedback of this is quite delayed. I know this was a big popular book with important and controversial characters. The reviews alone made you think this book was going to change you forever, but I'll be in the less popular crowd. I sort of liked the characters and story, but I felt I wanted more. It fell a bit flat and cheesy.
I absolutely adored this book. It's a fun, quick romance with a lot of heart that tackles a lot of the issues faced with young people and sexuality and romance today. I flew through this book and will definitely be picking up anything McQuiston writes from now on.
This was my first time reading Casey McQuiston and I understand what all the fuss is about. This is a great LGBTQ love story. If you love sweet royal romances you will want to give this one a try!
What can I say about RED, WHITE, & ROYAL BLUE that emphasizes just how magnificent it is? It etched itself into my heart. It's the kind of book that will follow me wherever I go in life. It's the kind of story that changes you a little bit so that because of this very book, you aren't the same person you were before you read it.  I know I'm not! This book truly has it all: history, romance, satire, and a hearty helping of the *feels.* You will laugh and you will most certainly cry. But isn't that the best feeling in the world? When you care so much about a story and its characters so much that you cry for them, because of them? I'm not sure I'd trade that feeling for anything.

Casey McQuiston wrote a book that affects you. Personally!!! And I'm better for it. It made me feel like my entire body could smile. Let's get into what it's about:

Alex Claremont-Diaz is the first Mexican-American to be the United State's first son and he just barely tolerates Prince Henry of Wales, who barely tolerates him right back. Their disdain towards one another is a long-known fact, but everything changes when they are forced to play nice due to an incident made public. They were always quick to shut down and dislike one another, but with them in close proximity all the time, they realize they may have more in common, and more chemistry, together than they realized.

I truly loved everything about it. The politics, the banter, the discussions of grief, the trying to be yourself despite the consequences, the representation, the side characters, the love between characters--everything! It's a slow burn of a story, and it makes it so much fun. The rivals to friends to lovers between Alex and Henry are simply to die for. They are so easy to root for, both together and individually.

I just want to hug this book forever. It's so, so good. Casey McQuiston is an author to watch. I cannot wait for her next book.

"History, huh?"