Saving Meghan

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2019

A suspenseful story detailing the hardships related with ongoing illness of a family member.  All the suspense keeps you turning the pages.  The ending is unexpected.
Wow!! This book was an amazing read! It was such an interesting topic. Never read anything like this before. Made you really question everything about even your own body and how the mind works.
Saving Meghan is a gripping Medical mystery novel that could have been too dry or too technical but hits the right mix of story and character.
For most of the book, I was team #protectmeghan , but my thoughts on who she needed protecting from kept shifting. I then start thinking about when I first got sick and my mom had to research and fight to get me diagnosed. As well as all the random diagnoses I have now that are “rare”. It’s hard to judge knowing firsthand the side of a chronically ill and “rare” patient as well. In the late 1940s Dr. Theodore Woodward instructed his medical interns: "When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras". This meant that the more common ailment is often the correct diagnosis. Overtime, this has lead to the misdiagnosis of individuals or label of being hypochondriacs  when in reality these individuals have rare conditions that are being overlooked. The lead me to #believebecky at times as well. On page 52, when Becky (Meghan’s mom) is correcting Meghan about the timeline of her symptoms to Dr. Fisher reminded me of my mom and I in doctors appointments. I was so sick, I couldn’t keep anything straight in my mind. “That’s right, I thought. That’s when it happened. That lesson was the start of my slow decline. And then I thought: how does she know more about my sickness than I do? I hate to admit it, but it’s moments like these when I had doubts about what’s going on inside me”.  I finally got my diagnosis and several more since then, but I didn’t go through the same extremes as Meghan had to. It’s an engaging read that kept me up reading most of the night so that I could finish it in two days. Highly recommended.
Legally Bound

This starts out fairly slowly; I wasn't sure I was even going to be interested.  But as the plot unfolded and the story enveloped me, I found myself sucked in, turning pages ever faster, while my brain tried to get ahead of the tale to figure out what was going on.  The need for instant action to protect the innocent can create massive injustices to all parties.  Lack of sufficiently trained personnel to investigate and verify claims makes the appalling actions permitted by law that much more flagrant. This nice, solid, medical thriller explores a number of areas not generally known--I love when a book teaches me new things!
Saving Meghan is an intriguing medical mystery told in multiple point of views.  The characters are well developed, suspiciously unreliable, and unlikeable.   The plot is not unique to me, as I’ve seen it done several times by other authors.  I found the ending to be a bit unbelievable, however it’s well written and entertaining.  I can see why many readers are giving this novel 5 stars, especially if you haven’t read this kind of plot before.

Thank you to the publisher via Netgalley for an e-arc copy in exchange for an honest review.
After the build up, which had me puzzled at first, this book took off. Leaving me guessing and perplexed, a surprise turn of events had me loving this book! Book provided by NetGalley.
This was my first book by this author and I am hoping to read more from him , I absolutely loved this book , very interesting story
While I didn't particularly love the characters in this book, I can't help but appreciate the way the author guided me into thinking I knew the outcome, then surprising  me with a twist at the end.
A story that had me going back and forth questioning everything I read. Every time I thought I had the answer the author would switch up on me and have me guessing what comes next.
riveting. Tense. Consuming.

Wow! What a ride! This book kept me on my toes, kept me guessing, and then second-guessing. I’d imagine having a sick child would be devastating and having a sick child without a definitive diagnosis would be frustrating. Throughout this book I did feel for Becky, but in the back of my mind I kept thinking is this Munchausen by Proxy? Is she making her child sick? Is Megan really sick? Or is something else going on here? So many questions so few answers.

The book starts off with Becky on a plane to LA about to take off. When she receives a message from her husband that Megan is in the hospital becky demands her way off the plane. Medical exam after medical exam, test after test, and still no answers to what is wrong with Megan. Megan was once an active soccer star who excelled in school, now she is too tired to even make it to school most days. You know Megan is hiding things, keeping secrets, but does that have anything to do with her illness? Is it stress induced? Is it all in her head? Or is it really her mother who is causing all this? I truly had no idea, but boy oh boy did I want some answers!

This book had some pulse pounding moments, with some over-the-top antics. Admittedly this book wasn’t always believable and sometimes I did question the judgment of the medical professionals and the parents, but for me none of that mattered because this was just so entertaining. I liked how it really kept you trying to guess the outcome until almost the bitter end. Even though I figured some of it out, I certainly did not figure it all out. Simply put this was an engaging story that kept me guessing. The ending was satisfying and the getting there was a lot of fun! 8/8

*** many thanks to St. Martin’s Press for my copy of this book ***
Absolutely loved this fascinating thriller! Make sure you don't read it in the dark. Will definitely make you heart rate peak!
Meet Becky Gerard, wife, mother, and extreme medical researcher. Becky Gerard’s life revolves around doctors and medical research in the hope of finding the mysterious ailment plaguing her teenage daughter, Meghan. As Becky becomes more obsessed with finding Meghan’s ailment, her husband becomes more distant and aloof.

This suspenseful, twisting story revolves around Meghan’s illness and her mother’s obsession. The tale becomes complex and dark when Meghan becomes a ward of the state as a result of her continuing symptoms and lack of concrete diagnosis. As Becky, her husband, and Meghan get further drawn into the workings of the mysterious illness, new doctors get brought into the picture with agendas of their own.

Unexplained deaths, mysterious, sudden illnesses, and shadowy secrets keep the reader turning the pages in this dark, sinister story. I enjoyed the mystery, suspense, and drama woven through this novel. This is my first novel by D.J. Palmer, but certainly won’t be my last.

This ARC copy was received from St. Martin’s Press and Netgalley.com. The above thoughts and opinions are wholly my own.
I really enjoyed this book.  Kept me guessing from the jump.  Is it the mother? The Daughter - what will happen?  I really enjoyed the different points of view and how the story played out.  A great read for anyone who loves a good mystery.
Let me start off by saying that I have been fascinated by Munchausen syndrome by proxy ever since I watched the Mommy Dead and Dearest documentary on HBO.  I’m also watching The Act on Hulu right now which is a re-enactment of that same story.  So duh, of course I was super excited to read Saving Meghan.

Meghan has a mysterious illness that no one can diagnose. Her mom, Becky, spends every minute of every day worrying about her daughter, researching illnesses, and trying to get someone to help her daughter. People, including Meghan’s father start getting suspicious that maybe Meghan doesn’t really have any illness at all, but that Becky is suffering from Münchausen syndrome and is somehow making her daughter believe she is sick.

Saving Meghan is told in alternating chapters between Becky and Meghan. As the story unfolds, so many questions come up. Is Becky really the one with the illness? Is Meghan faking it? Why is the father such a jerk? What secrets are they all hiding? Can we trust any of them?

When everything comes to a head at the end of the story, you will be shocked! My one complaint about the story is that the ending, while the twist was a good one, happened really abruptly and left me wanting a little bit more.
I just never connected with this book. I didn’t like any of the characters and felt that the situations required me to suspend my disbelief past my comfort level. But if you love Lifetime Network movies, I’m sure you’ll love this novel, so please give it a look.
Saving Meghan raises the question of: how far will a mother go to save her child? The book switches back and forth between several characters POV and honestly, is a bit confusing. The different POV's pull you in several different directions as the family members try and uncover what exactly is causing Meghan's illness. There are multiple twists that keep you guessing  (some harder to believe than others).
I had difficulty getting into this novel. It did not capture me in the initial fifty pages. If I had not agreed to review it, I probably would not have finished it. I could not identify with the characters at all nor did they elicit my compassion. The author's writing style is mostly long passages of prose interspersed with short bursts of dialogue or action. Much of the prose is character thoughts. In that sense this is very much a character driven novel. The pace picked up near the end of the book but that did not make up for the slow pace for the rest of the novel.

I found the change in points of view disturbing. Meghan's section is first person, from inside her head. Other sections, such as Becky, Meghan's mom, Zach, one of Meghan's doctors, are in the third person, from a universal point of view. I felt the changes distracting and it did not work for me.

There is a great deal of medical information included in the novel. I learned about mitochondrial disease and Munchausen by proxy, for example.

I would have appreciated this book much more if 50-60 pages had been edited out. Readers who appreciate long passages of character ruminations might enjoy this book. It was just not the writing style I like. I did enjoy the intense suspense at the end. I do wish there had been more of it throughout the entire book.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book from the publisher. My comments are an independent and honest review.
How to best describe this book? Definitely,  gripping and addicting!  Once I began this book I simply did not want to put it down because it is that good.  I will admit to going back and forth between  #ProtectMeghan and #BelieveBecky and by the end my mind was all over the place.  I thank @STMartinsPress and Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review this excellent book!
Excerpt from Review: "...I must warn you: you are going to get very angry while reading this book.  Some will direct their anger at Becky, certain that she is creating or contributing to Meghan’s illness.  Some will be angry with Carl for his seeming lack of belief.  Some will be angry at Meghan for keeping secrets detrimental to what is occurring in this story.  And, if I’m not mistaken, all will be angry at the GI doctor for the tricky way she manages to set the ball rolling against the Gerards with her Munchausen claim...I would definitely recommend Saving Meghan for fans of the mystery/thriller genre.  The writing was captivating, the characters easily relatable, the storyline believable and the suspense was definitely attention grabbing."