Cover Image: Never-Contented Things

Never-Contented Things

I had high hopes for this one that weren’t entirely fulfilled. It sounded like it was right up my alley but it was a bit slow to get into. I’m sure somebody loves it, it just wasnt exactly for me.
this was really interesting but it wasn't impactful to me. might come back to this book in the future.
DNF

I couldn't  get into it.

The writing is bad. The character was bad. The plot made no sense at all and I just couldn't make myself want to read it because of the bad writing. A total disappointment as I was expecting much from it but it was just a let down.
Fairies have always seemed kind of shady to me, and I tend to enjoy books that play up that angle — I mean, here you are immortal, unseen, able to bring about any illusion you can imagine, so what do you do after a few millennia? If you’re the fairies in Never-Contented Things, you toy with humans, and there may never have been two people more full of human issues to toy with than foster siblings Josh and Ksenia. Life has not been easy for either of them, and finding each other after years of bouncing from foster home to foster home has bonded them so closely that they’ve become codependent. When Josh turns to the fairies to guarantee he and Ksenia can stay together forever, they’re both pulled into a dark and dangerous other reality. Josh would give everything he has to stay; Ksenia just wants out. That obviously makes this emotionally tough terrain: Josh and Ksenia need each other, but they also make it impossible for either of them to be free individuals. They trap each other as much as the fairies do, and it’s this realization in the face of their deep love and need that makes this story more complex than the typical fairy tale.

This is a dark, ugly, messy story about people who have been hurt and made bad choices. There are a lot of adult things going on with sex, drugs, and mental health. I wouldn’t hand it off to just any teen reader — it’s a lot. And it’s inconsistent — sometimes it kind of gets sidetracked and wanders off for a while, losing the thread that pulls you forward. But for teens who are interested in dark fairy tales, how gender shapes our sense of self, the deep fear of being really known by another person, and the limits of love, I think this book has some interesting things to say.
This book is so hard to review! I love fantasy books about fairies but I'm not usually a fan of when the faeries are not friendly. The relationship between the two main characters is hard to swallow and I can see how it turns people off. As a foster child myself I actually relate to relationship myself but I can see others having an issue with it.

The story explores the relationship and the intense codependency between the characters in a way that kept me reading and rooting for each of them in completely different ways.

I would recommend this story but I would have to be careful who I recommended it to as I know a lot of people will not understand the important aspects of the story and won't be able to see past it.
I love a good story set in Faerie, but this one didn't pull me in as much as I would've liked. I believe I needed a bit more world-building and understanding of this particular version of Faerie and the Faeries that reside in it. I felt I was just shoved into this weird world like and felt as lost as Kezzer did throughout the first quarter of the book. Some may like this writing style it just wasn’t for me. It was quite confusing and I found my mind wandering while trying to read. I tried to push through and made it about 20-25% of the way through before I had to, unfortunately, DNF this title.
A solid YA novel that was a good purchase for my library. Students have read and enjoyed it, and I purchased it because of this review copy.
Ok I have  tried to get into this author before, I love the way she writes. Her prose is magical and haunting. But there was some very weird shit in here and ultimately I was just too uncomfortable to finish. Very disappointed. I probably won't try anything from this author again. Not for me.
I receieved this as a free arc from netgalley.

Prince and his fairy courtiers are staggeringly beautiful, unrelentingly cruel, and exhausted by the tedium of the centuries ― until they meet foster-siblings Josh and Ksenia. Drawn in by their vivid emotions, undying love for each other, and passion for life, Prince will stop at nothing to possess them.

First seduced and then entrapped by the fairies, Josh and Ksenia learn that the fairies' otherworldly gifts come at a terrible price ― and they must risk everything in order to reclaim their freedom.

The action and plot in this book is a page turner for sure.
I unfortunately had to DNF this book - it was not for me. I was sucked in by the beautiful cover and the intriguing synopsis, but I could not gel with the story.
I couldn't finish this book. Although it was creepy and kept to the atmosphere well in terms of events, there was a lack of exciting characters, and there wasn't anything exciting enough to make me keep reading.
I feel semi- surprised this got published. Yikes. There's not even much for the weird step-incest thing, just a weird amount of world building and intense confusion.
Thank you Netgalley for the chance to read and review this title. I will review this title at a different date.
I really enjoyed reading this, I gave this a four out of five stars. The world building was so done well and I felt very immersed in this fae world. I found the characters to be very interesting as I have a special love for morally grey characters.
This book was very intriguing and I found it to be an amazing debut! The world building was so well done and I felt very immersed in this fae world. I also found the characters to be very interesting as I have a special love for morally grey characters! Overall 3.5 stars, as it was a solid fantasy book.
Personally, I did not like this book. When I picked up this book, I was looking for a fae story. This story focused more on the dark twisted nature of humans. It seemed like the story was going to be exploring the story from the prince's angle as well but that did not happen.

I personally did not like the romance in this book. I found it weird that two kids that grew up together in the same household as foster siblings fell in love. However, this is my personal opinion and it may seem normal to some people. This, however, brings a sour taste in my mouth that they fell in love with each other.

This book and I did not vibe together the way I do with other books.

All in all, I did not love this book and will not be recommending it to anyone.

Bound by haunting tragedies, Ksenia Adderley and Joshua Korensky have shared a home as foster siblings since they were children. Despite their opposite personalities—Ksenia is prickly, mistrustful, Josh, flamboyant and outgoing—they are fiercely protective of one another. As teens, they’ve grown even closer. Some say unnaturally so.

With Ksenia's eighteenth birthday approaching, their guardians expect her to move out. They want to free Josh of his obsession with the foster-sister whom they regard as a strange, unhealthy influence. But they don’t understand the depths of Josh’s feelings for Ksenia and how desperate he is to ensure they stay together—forever.

The one called Prince understands all too well. Attracted by the intensity of Josh’s desires and Ksenia’s fears, he can grant them a home among his kind: beautiful creatures not of this earth. All they have to do is surrender their very humanity and succumb to the cruel whims of Prince and his fae courtiers…

My Review
Never-Contented Things is brilliantly suspenseful and twisted. A dark YA novel that has all of the elements necessary to make this a great read.

The characters are well written and the story-line is engrossing and captivating. A must read for YA.
Never-Contented Things by Sarah Porter is a contemporary YA fantasy novel that is both dark and complex, The writing pulls you in with its details and the characters are just as dynamic as the story.  Would recommend for older teens.
DNF at 30%. I really wanted to love this book, but I couldn't get past the slower pacing and talk of incest. Maybe I'll try picking it up again sometime in the future, but for now, I won't be finishing this book. Disregarding the those aspects however, I did like what I read, and found the 'darkness' (again, ignoring the incest aspect) of the book to be refreshing, and something I'd like to see more of in the upper-YA market.
Never-Contented Things was the perfect spooky read for me! I loved the atmosphere that it had, constantly giving me creepy feelings and having me look over my shoulder while reading in the dark!