In Safe Hands

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Feb 2019

Scary, disturbing and thrilling. My first read of JP Carter, and I am pretty sure that it wont be my last.  I ended up, literally on the edge of the seat reading this.
This was a debut novel by this talented author, so I did not know what to expect.  And wow, was I surprised!
The book starts off nice and sweetly, then evolves into a very scary  for most parents, what if your child gets abducted.
This was really a very well written book, and I finished it in one sitting. Highly recommended.
This book is a gritty suspenseful crime thriller
The first in a series and I can’t wait to read more
The author has created a book full of suspense. My only criticism would be the ending as it ends on a cliffhanger
In Safe Hands – J.P.Carter

This is the first book written by the above author as J.P.Carter but I have read books from Jamie and James Raven. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed and I just couldn’t put it down, a word of warning make sure when you start this that you have plenty of time to read. This is number one in a new series of police procedural and I’m just hoping that the books to follow are as good as this one.

May I introduce you to DCI Anna Tate we start this book with nine children from Peabody Nursery being kidnapped.  The parents are called to the nursery to allow the police to both notify and speak to them altogether. Anna discovers that Liam one of the children has Cystic Fibrosis and needs both medication and physiotherapy at regular intervals throughout the day to keep him alive. Then there is a ransom of six million pounds pay or watch them be killed one by one starting with Grace another of the children.

As the SIO of the case she is putting extra pressure on herself to find these children due to the fact that her own daughter who was abducted by her ex-husband more than ten years ago.  She has never recovered from her loss and has never stopped looking for Chloe.  Suddenly after all these years she receives a message on social media that a chap needs to speak to her regarding his part in her daughters abduction. She hopes and prays that finally she will get the information that she needs.

The more we read we learn that things are not as they seem. Anna discovers that a few of the parents have been keeping secrets. Sue the owner has her own secrets; she has been sued and been having an affair with one of the parents. There’s so much happening in this book that I am going to stop here so I can keep the secrets under wraps so not to spoil for anyone else.

I’ll definitely be recommending this book to everyone and every other bookworm I know, in fact I’ve already done so with a couple of my family members.

Read for an honest review.  Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Publishers
What a page turner! Must be a kidnappers worst nightmare….9 toddlers to look after. A clever plot and certainly a kidnapping scenario I would never have imagined, however it’s chillingly possible.
As soon as Ruth entertained the possibility her husband may be having an affair, I’d mentally paired off her husband Liam with Sarah (the owner of the nurseries) but can’t think why. Maybe her intelligence and beauty and his job in software but was it just mutual attraction?
A few initiatives were lost by DCI Anna Tate, one was in not securing the telephony data on the incoming calls to Michael and Ingrid Palmer who admitted their son had called them. Even if a ‘burner’ had been used there may have been vital triangulation information from the cellular operators. The novel ended with a cliff-hanger….was she any closer to finding her own daughter Chloe?
I received this ARC through netgalley and it did not disappoint.  it was a very fast paced book which was easy to get into and I raced throug it in one sitting.  I guessed one of the culprits about halfway through the book but that didn't stop the enjoyument, I can't wait to see what Anna Tate does next and whether she finds Chloe.
This is Book 1 of a crime series featuring DCI Anna Tate and I was hooked straight away.

Nine young children go to nursery in South London as usual....all routine, but then all manner of mayhem breaks out...the nursery is besieged by armed men who take nine children hostage.

DCI Anna Tate, a decent and successful cop, none of the usual traits found in most female cop based novels...no bad temper, no drinking or laddishness just good at her job. She knows exactly how these parents are feeling though as her own daughter was kidnapped 10 years ago but never never found...

The story really revolves round the parents and the investigation and also touches on Anna’s and her missing daughters case in a clever mix of emotions and the professional, determined way Anna works in this gripping thriller.

I found Anna a really likeable character and the tension and emotions were given life by JP Carter’s compelling writing....I can absolutely recommend it and I’ll definitely be looking out for more in the series....

I would like to thank the Author/the Publishers/NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book for free in exchange for a fair and honest review

#NetGalley #InSafeHands
A totally different book with a different premise to the norm.  I must say I loved this book with a female lead character that also has her own backstory.
The characters were believable and had me hooked with an excellent team that I am sure will develop as the books unfold.
The story twists and turns and leaves a cliff hanger at the end. I will certainly be reading the next one in the series.
Really enjoyed this book. Full of suspense with a full cast of well developed characters, the story was engaging and original. Really looking forward to the next book in the series.
I’m always on the lookout for new detective series’ and In Safe Hands which is the first in the DCI Anna Tate series is s great one.

Right from the beginning we are straight into the horror of gunmen in a nursery. The story is fast paced and thrilling, and DCI Tate is a fascinating central character. Her own story is just as interesting as the central storyline and also kept me gripped.

The book ends on a cliffhanger so I am definitely looking forward to the next in the series.
4☆ Race against the Clock, Suspenseful Police Thriller.

In Safe Hands is a gritty suspenseful crime thriller.
A first in a new police procedural series featuring DCI Anna Tate. One I'm looking forward to reading more.

This book is literally every parents worst nightmare!
I worked in schools and the thought of this happening gives me Chills!
When 9 children are taken from a nursery school by armed kidnappers, no one knows why or if they will ever see their children alive and safe again.

DCI Tate and her team are in charge of finding the missing children before time runs out.

I really liked Tate, her character was likeable, strong, she had a personal connection to the case which will be revealed in the story, so she was determined to find the children safely.
I'm really looking forward to getting to know her more as I believe she is going to be a force to be reckoned with.

In Safe Hands, is hard hitting, gripping, suspenseful, chilling, and in some ways a lil too real as this scenario could happen. It doesn't bare thinking about!
But what Carter has done is create a suspenseful and thrilling crime thriller, a cat and mouse, race against the clock that felt like a whirlwind. You can't help flicking the pages to discover what happens next, preying the children are returned safe!
I loved the added storyline for Tate running alongside. It helped build up a connection and I really felt for her.
The police procedural was cleverly written and believable.

What I will say is it does end on a clifhanger! But don't let that put you off as it's such a corker of a read! With perfectly dark undertones.
I'm really looking forward to reading the next instalment!

So if you really enjoy compulsive, gritty, race against the clock, police crime thrillers, with a cast of multi-layred characters then you will love In Safe Hands

Thank you to Avon Books for this copy which I reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Well this certianly was a shocking read! Absolutely full of gogreoulsy tense scenes that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck, I never knew what to expect next that’s for sure! Not an author I have previously read from, but absolutely one I will be returning to without checking the Blurb. This was incredibly powerful, easily memorable! If you’re looking for a book that will delight you whilst creping you out, entertain while keeping you awake NEEDING to know what will happen, then you need this book.
I enjoyed this. An original and tense story of nursery children kidnapped. Why? Well read it to find out!
You’ll enjoy the rising horror as the story unfolds and the characters are very real.
Nine young children are abducted from their nursery in London and a ransom demand soon appears. The police officer in charge, DCI Anna Tate, has to investigate if the nursery owner, staff or even parents might be involved.

This was an enjoyable fast paced crime thriller. The chapters were short which made it very easy to dip in and out for a quick chapter or 2 while on the bus commute to work. I found the plot engaging, it held my interest, although perhaps a little unbelievable in a couple of places. There is a sub plot about the police officers own daughter who had been abducted several years previously and while the ending of the nursery children storyline was wrapped up, the story surrounding her own daughter was left open- presumably to be picked up in the next book. I would happily read more by this author and will look out for the next book.

Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for providing an advance copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

This review is also published on Goodreads.
Are your children safe? This phrase kept going through my head the entire time I was reading this book.

One day, three men enter a local daycare and leave with all of the children. The workers are locked up in a closet. As the parents are called one by one, their biggest nightmare has come true.

Reading books where children are put in harms way is always a difficult task. In Safe Hands started out terrifying to me, but ended up being more of a whodunnit. This was a bit of a relief.

The story was original and the writing was at times intense. While I was able to figure out the mystery before it was revealed, the author did a great job of leaving just enough clues to lead you in the wrong direction…very clever.

I enjoyed this book and recommend it.
A police procedural with no recovering-alcoholic cops, or dead ex-wives needing to be avenged. Who’d have thunk it!?

In South London, nine children attend their nursery school as normal. But the day is plunged into disaster when three armed men enter the school and take the children hostage, locking the teachers in a room, one with severe head wounds.

DCI Anna Tate has to solve the case while the clock ticks and the ransom goes up by £1 million every day.

The distraught parents insist the ransom be paid, and as they start to fight amongst themselves, secrets come to light that mean there might be more to this kidnapping than Anna first thought.

But as the clock runs down, and with one child’s life on the line, can she figure it all out before it’s too late?

Okay, I’m gonna start by saying one something controversial.

I don’t like police procedurals.

I know I’m in the minority. They’re one of the most read genres in the book world. But I just don’t get the appeal. I find them formulaic, predictable, and full of stereotypes. It’s just not believable that there are that many troubled cops trying to get revenge for a partner’s death while dealing with an alcohol problem. No crime would ever get solved if these were real people!

So, I was pleasantly surprised when I started reading In Safe Hands. Carter doesn’t fall into these stereotypical traps in this police procedural.

While it’s true that Anna has a troubled backstory, it’s not cliched and she doesn’t let it get in the way of her doing her job. In fact, she goes out of her way to ignore it, even when her colleague tells her to pursue it.

There’s enough of her backstory to keep you interested, but it doesn’t interfere with the rest of the story. It’s all much more realistic.

Reading the last quarter of this book reminded me why I love reading.

It’s been a long time since I was so excited and on edge reading the ending of a book. It’s definitely one you’re gonna have to stay up all night to finish.

There are loads of twists and red herrings, but none of them feel forced or overdone, and each twist will make you kick yourself that you didn’t figure it out first.

The ending is satisfying (though there is a slight cliffhanger, so be prepared for a little frustration). As far as I know, this is the first in a series, so I’m waiting not-so-patiently for the next one to come out
I really, really enjoyed this book. It's written in a super engaging style that keeps the story moving.  Kept me thoroughly engrossed and can't wait to read more by the same author

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for kindly providing me the eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An excellent read, I loved it, this is a brilliant police thriller which keeps the reader hooked all the way through. Highly recommended.

Many thanks to Netgalley and J.P. Carter for the advanced copy of this book. I agreed to give my unbiased opinion voluntarily.
I'm not normally a fan of police proceedurals as I find the details distract from the plot but in this case it was fine because DC Anna Tate didn't seem to actually be that good at her job and I was thoroughly gripped by the story! I felt the characterisation was well done and the pacing too. I'd probably read the next in the series.
WOW. Gripped by this. The premise is every parent’s worst nightmare and the writing is every bookworm’s dream come true. Can’t wait to read the next one!