Watersnakes

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

This was a very odd and creepy graphic novel, but the art was AMAZING! I loved the facial expressions and movement the illustrations portrayed. Definitely need a hard copy for my shelf!
Perfect for fans of Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, Watersnakes by Tony Sandoval is a brilliant and strange tale that will keep you asking what was real and what wasn't.

The illustrations were gorgeous and the story was very unique. I enjoyed it so much although some parts were a bit confusing at first.
This graphic novel is honestly a bit trippy, but that’s definitely the style and the intention. And I will fully admit that when I read graphic novels, I’m all about the artwork, and I LOVE the style of the artwork in this book. Some parts of the story were … strange and a little disturbing (for instance, there’s a bit of a weird tooth fetish thing going on that I didn’t quite understand—and an army of teeth creatures that … yeah, I’m not sure). Still, I found myself compelled to keep reading, and while I was sometimes confused and a little disturbed I was entranced by the story. Definitely an upper/mature YA graphic novel, though. If you like dark and creepy and a little bit weird, you’ll definitely be a fan.

***Disclosure: I received this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. No other compensation was given and all opinions are my own.***
I haven’t really read a lot of graphic novels for me to evaluate the true merits of this book. However, from the standpoint of a consumer I would say that I enjoy the story towards the very end.

At the start of the story I did not have a clear idea of what each character stands for. However, as the story unfolds things began to reveal itself. The illustration is somehow unique as well, not a typical comic book I’ve seen before.
I chose this book because I wanted to explore Mexican literature, and I must say I had a general first good impression after all.
I loved this story, it's both quirky and disturbing but also sweet in some way, very emotional and there's a lot of introspection. It also made me feel very sad though, but in a good way - it was more a sort of empathy or melancholy rather than true sadness.
But I feel a little bit mocked. I was truly being interested and captured in a special way by the lesbian or questioning plot behind the paranormal/horror one, it was described with a particular gentleness and softness which are honestly not common at all. Hence the reason why the final part and the octopus' story didn't satisfy me. At the end I found myself a bit disappointed.
I loved the coloring too, but I must say I'm not a huge fan of this kind of traits. The general styling looks a bit childish, whilst the story is a very deep one, so a little bit more of accuracy would have been more appropriate. Some panels are freaking scary, perfect for someone who is in a mood for a creepy reading.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the author for a free preview of the book.
A tentative queer romance entangled, dreamlike, with magic and mystery, where an octopus can be a prince and a girl's teeth his soldiers? This should be right up my street, especially when the art recalls Dave McKean, Shaun Tan and whoever illustrated that picture book Elena Ferrante did. But while the animals and landscapes are gorgeous, the people have such stick limbs and round heads that they seem off-puttingly anorexic. Also, I think the Netgalley file may have been missing some pages early on, though TBH the story didn't become noticeably more linear once that stopped.
Creepy and odd and lovely art about sums up this story of girls, teeth warriors and a magic distant shore octopus.

Thank you to the publisher for extending an advance reader copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
"Watersnakes" is about a girl named Mila, who rides down to the river one day and meets Agnes. The two girls become fast friends. Mila is intrigued by Agnes' teeth and all of her wild stories. After an incident occurs between them, Mila finds out from Agnes' brother, Julien, that Agnes has actually been dead for 11 years.

I'll be honest - I picked up this graphic novel because I loved the cover artwork. I wasn't sure what to expect from Tony Sandoval as I've never read his previous work, but I was incredibly impressed with his artwork. This is a beautiful book. The characters have large heads with thin bodies and spindly arms and legs. The color palette is often black and white with other neutral tones, then you'll be shocked with a bright spot of color. The style emphasizes the idea that sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish between dreams and reality. Some of the scenes are quite visceral and disconcerting.

I would give this book a solid 4 stars. I found some parts of the story to be confusing and lacking in development, but overall, I found the concept eerie, unexpected, and magical, and the artwork was mesmerizing.
This book was unique. There are somethings that I am a little confused about but the art work and everything else is amazing. I loved how you are just pulled into the book. I definitely want to read more books set in this world
I so wanted to love this book... I really did. The art is some of the most beautiful I've seen in a long time. Probably even the most beautiful I've ever seen in a graphic novel! If I were reviewing this book just for the art, I'd give it an easy 5 stars.

But, unfortunately, I also have to review the content. This book's plot was a trainwreck. It was even hard to watch. I won't give away anything, don't worry.
My first problem with the plot was the fact that it was so rushed. Nothing deserved an explanation, and instead of it feeling like a well-written, dense mystery, it felt like a plan-it-out-as-you-go kind of writing. There was no introduction of characters, no building up of tension, no nothing!
Secondly, the characters were so flat. I could never care for them. Going from "I'm a coward" to "I'm the hero" in 3 panels is NOT character development. It's just sloppy writing with beautiful illustrations.
Thirdly, the romance (if you can call it) that made me so excited to pick it up was nonexistent. Or, rather, it was there but super flawed. Not to talk about the dumb cop-out at the end (no spoilers) that made absolutely no sense.
Fourth, WHERE ARE ALL THESE ADULTS?! These characters are certainly not old enough to run around all day and night without no one noticing. Where were these adults??? It felt like the most irrealistic thing in the book.
Fifth, what the hell even happened? We got no explanation but a few info-dumps that took up maybe 8 panels in the whole book...

Overall, this was one of the most disappointing reads of the year. I'm only giving it 2 stars because of the gorgeous art.
Wow!!! What an enjoyable and unexpected read.
Watersnakes had the feel of a dark haunting fairytale with the right amount of  dark undertones with a touch of whimsy and wonder.
The artwork was magical and whimsical with a gothic vibe with so much vibrancy I need prints for my book shelves.
At tines I found the story confusing with constantly changing plot points yet overall the pacing was good and the writing well rounded.
A well paced narrative with exceptional world building and Mila and Agnes were well developed, fun and relatable characters and I need to see more adventures of these two heroines.
A really fantastic graphic novel. 4 star read.

Many thanks to Tony Sandoval, Netgalley & Diamond Book Distributors for this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
(All my opinions are my own and unbiased)
Page 1 reaction – dayum! This is gonna be good.
The artwork is gorgeous.  It’s like an ethereal watercolor anime.
Mila is the hero in all of us.  The weird hero but still the hero.
I really hope we get to see more adventure of Mila and Agnes.
ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
OMG! Did I love this?! Yes. The art is just magical. The story may have needed just a bit more work, as some aspects of it fall short or are too confusing, but the overall idea is fun and amazing. This is a great graphic novel to sink your teeth into.
This dark fairy tale is so haunting, I know it will stay with me for years to come. The simple obsession Mila has with Agnes's teeth was an incredible trick in the story. The art is beautiful and luminous. I was  stunned to the last page. Fans of Neil Gaiman and Shaun Tan will find a great deal to love here.
Well, that was gloriously fucked up & beautiful at the same time. Stunning artwork, WTF storyline with a little bit of girl on girl curiosity.

*Digital review copy provided by NetGalley and the publisher.
The artwork in this book is AMAZING! It was both dark and whimsical at the same time. That said, the story left me confused for the most part, and it seemed like the book was just leaping to the different plot points without having much to connect them. Also, what was up with explaining away the romance between the two female characters with something as lame as the prince being inside Agnes?? Come on!
I loved the artwork in this graphic novel, it’s what made me interested in reviewing it. Unfortunately I don’t think the story was on par with the illustrations. I’d say about 70% of the book leaves the reader pretty much in the dark about what’s going on and when you do get to the back story it’s so rushed and crammed into such a small portion of the book that you’re left feeling like it didn’t really explain anything at all.  If it weren’t for the beautiful imagery I’d think it was a waste of the half hour or so I spent reading it which is a shame because I do feel like the story has potential but in the end it feels unfinished. Unfortunately this one was not for me.
Wow what a crazy ride that was! So strange, definitely never read anything like that! Read it all in one go. To be honest I didn't even realise I'd requested a graphic novel until I started reading it, but I gave it a go. The illustrations were incredible, I love the style of them!
The story was really far-fetched, and some of the gory strange illustrations weirded me out, but I'm pleased I finally read a graphic novel.
Are you looking for an incredibly dark and gothic lesbian graphic novel? Well here you go!

This is one of the hardest reviews to write. It's so hard to put into words what this graphic novel is about because the story is mostly told through the beautiful gothic and macabre art style. Let's try... We are following a young girl named Mila who one Summer has a run in with a pretty girl named Agnes and the reader is immediately aware that something isn't right. I'll be honest, I WAS CONFUSED AS FORK probably %60 of the way through but then we encounter a plot twist and the puzzle pieces started coming together and you know what I did after finishing? I re-read it. Immediately. With my new found knowledge, I began to understand the things that were happening. Is this a cute love story? NOOO! This is dark and bloody and verging on the edge of horror. Some panels were absolutely bone chilling!

Is there world building? No. Are there backstories for characters? Not really.

but as a whole, this graphic novel is its own genre. A standalone unfortunately which I find hard accepting so I'll be keeping my fingers crosses for another volume.
I love the artwork! The story is surreal, disturbing and poignant. The artwork is beautiful, delicate, surreal and extremely competent. My only quibble is with the large heads on the protagonists, something that initially made my reluctant to even look.