Cover Image: Me for You

Me for You

Me for You by Lolly Winston is a story of a man named Rudy who wakes up one morning to discover that his wife passed away in her sleep. He tries to save her, but is unsuccessful. Rudy is still dealing with his grief when he meets Sasha, who works in the watch department of the store he plays piano at.

Definitely an emotional journey following Rudy and seeing how he tries to live life and still be true to his beloved wife.
Lolly Winston never fails to deliver a heartfelt emotional story! Loved Me for You and can't wait for her next book.
Rudy spoke to his wife Bethany for ten minutes before he realized she was dead. It was a Saturday morning and both were off.Rudy was a part time piano player and Bethany , a hospital pharmacist.
What an emotional roller coaster Me For You was! One morning Rudy wakes up to find that his wife Bee has died in her sleep. He tries to resuscitate her, but to no avail. He is then forced to return to his job as a piano player in a high-end department store. He befriends Sasha, who works in the watches section of the department store. But one day Rudy begins to have delusions that his name is being called over the PA system. This leads him to fall into a deep depression and eventually his daughter convinces him to check into the medical psych department of the hospital. As he begins to deal with and heal from the sudden loss of his wife, he also begins to have feelings for Sasha. Me For You was an emotional journey that had me feeling high, then low, then hopeful all over again. I absolutely loved this book and will recommend it to anyone who will listen!
Me For You is a well written, lovely and bittersweet story about two people whose lives are sidelined by unimaginable tragedy, but who meet and come together to survive in spite of their sorrow.

Fifty six year old Rudy wakes up one morning to find that his wife has died in her sleep.  He is beside himself with grief and guilt.  But life continues and Rudy returns to his job as a piano player in Nordstom, where he and Sasha work part time.  Sasha is a Hungarian immigrant who has endured the drowning death of her young daughter Stefi, and her drunken, abusive husband's abandonment of her for a younger woman.  Their friendship is a life raft of sorts for both of them and when Rudy is hospitalized for depression, Sasha's nightly visits help to cement their attraction.

I absolutely loved this book.  It was a wonderful read and I highly recommend it to anyone.  Thank you to Netgalley, the author Lolly Winston, and the publisher Touchstone Gallery Books for the delightful experience of reading an ARC of this book.  This is my sincere opinion.
Me for You is a story of a middle aged man named Rudy who wakes up one morning to find his wife lying beside him dead, having passed away in the night. He tries his best to revive and save her, but nothing can be done. A year later Rudy is still trying to navigate through his grief and figure out how to move on from losing the love of his life. In walks Sasha, his coworker who he's had a mild crush on for years and a romance begins to develop. Despite his feelings for Sasha, he still struggles emotionally with grief, depression, and survivor's guilt which lands him a first class ticket to the hospital for some targeted therapy.

I think I enjoyed the first half of this book more than I enjoyed the second half. It showed a lot of promise early on and I liked where I thought the story was headed. And then all of a sudden there were too many plot lines happening at once and it threw me off. It had a lot of potential, but the numerous plot lines left it scattered and not a lot actually transpired.
Lolly Winston writes about characters that are at once relatable and engaging.  The only bad thing about reaching the end of her stories is having to wait for the next.
Ugh this Lolly Winston book made me so sad. Not because of the storyline but because of how much I didn't enjoy it! I loved Good Grief and Happiness Sold Separately but Me for You just wasn't up to par with her other books. I honestly felt like there wasn't much of a plot at all. And where with her other books you really got to know the characters and their grief I didn't get much of that feeling at all from Rudy or even Sasha. I also felt like Sasha's husband Gabor went away way too easily when he finally showed up and was confronted by Rudy and the divorce papers.
I remember liking Lolly Winston's other novels, so I was happy to receive a free copy of this one from NetGalley. I didn't love it. What starts out as a widower's tale of recovering from the loss of his beloved wife and finding love with a friend from work became a weird look into psychiatric forms of recovery, with a weird twist of a possible crime, woven with the story of an unlikable daughter dealing with marital troubles. Huh? Yeah. My biggest peeve with the book is that Rudy is only 54 but he acts like he's 74 or 84. I'm all for nerds and for a man mourning the loss of his wife, but Rudy doesn't relate to any 54 year old that I know. I kept looking at the "% left in book" in the corner of my kindle, just waiting for it to end. I feel like I skimmed a lot of the last 25% of the book. Just a little too saccharine for me, I guess.
Me for You was delightful!  Lily Winston does a wonderful job developing the characters in this easy read. The topics were not light and cheerful, but the developing storyline was refreshing and hopeful. The two main characters in Me for You are a testament that hope and healing are possible and rewarding. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to more from Winston.
Me For You by Lolly Winston

Brief Summary: Rudy wakes up one morning to find his beloved wife dead; his grief complicated by guilt that he couldn’t help her. This is his story of grief, making sense of loss, and trying to move on to put his life back together.

Highlights: This is typical subject matter for Lolly Winston and I loved how she addressed grief with humor and charm in her previous book. Me For You does contain some of that heartwarming humor but it is not on the level of her previous books. She won me over with Rudy’s stay in the psych ward and her normalization of psychiatric patients and treatment. There is a huge stigma in our society of those with severe mental health issues and many people avoid treatment they sorely need for fear of being labled “crazy.” I also loved how Sasha and Rudy bonded over their grief.

What makes this book unique?: I have read many books on grief. I don’t recall a character that struggles to the degree Rudy does nor another who goes to the psychiatric ward. We need more characters like him.

Explanation of Rating: 4/5 The normalization of the psychiatric patients upped my rating from a 3. There are definitely times this novel dragged.

Psychology Factors: Coping with complicated grief, inpatient treatment for severe grief and depression

I think that anyone who has lost a loved one, especially a spouse or significant other earlier than expected, will relate to this book.

Thank you to Net Galley and Touchstone Gallery Books for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

After Rudy is downsized from his job in finance, he takes a part time job playing piano at Nordstrom until his wife is ready to retire, and they can enjoy retirement together.  However, Bethany dies in her sleep one night, and now Rudy is struggling to keep it together and figure out what to do with his life now that it can’t be what he wanted and expected.  The one bright spot in his life is his friendship with Sasha, who works in the watches section at Nordstrom.  Sasha has her own complicated past, though.  Can they find a future together without their pasts bringing them down?

Anyone who has lost a loved one will recognize the grief Rudy faces in this book.  However, beyond that, I never felt close to the story or the characters.  The detective who appears about halfway through the book to tell Rudy that his wife may have been murdered (not a spoiler, as this is mentioned in the blurb) really didn’t seem to fit with the rest of the story.  It almost felt like it had been tacked into the story after the fact.  Overall, it wasn’t a bad book, but it isn’t a story that will stay with me or leave me thinking about it weeks and months after finishing the book.
Lolly Winston has long been a favorite author of mine and I was excited to see a new book out from her!  Me for You is a lovely story with characters you will want to become friends with (my favorite kind of read).
I had difficulty getting into this book. I kept plugging along and the book did eventually grab my attention. I won't say this book was my favorite, but it was a decent read.

I received an advance copy from the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for my open and honest read.
Me for You by Lolly Winston is a story of loss, grief, and finding love again. I have previously read Good Grief by the author and loved that book. I have loaned my copy multiple times and have had to rebuy it when it was not returned. Therefore, I was so excited to read this book, Me for You, but sadly, this one missed the mark for me. The description mentioned humor, but there was very little humor to be found in this book. I did find Rudy and Sasha to be sweet characters, I liked them and was rooting for them all along, but the story just seemed to plod along at such a slow pace. This one book also took on so many depressing topics -  the death of a spouse, death of a child, an abusive cheating relationship, and more. Overall, there were some really nice things in reading the book, but I was not expecting it to make me feel down.
Not as good as her others but still glad I read it. There was something missing from the plot for me. I did find the characters and the situations real.
I really had to dig deep to keep reading this book. The story is about a man who finds himself suddenly a widower. Going in I knew this was depressing reading matter, but the story just dragged for me. I did think it showed a very realistic portrayal of a man's grief and I was relieved that the story became more uplifting as it ended.

A very unnecessary potential murder mystery is thrown in in about a third of the way into the story. Just served to dilute the main storyline in my opinion. Thank you to Netgalley for an ARC to review
This is a book of triumph and tragic loss. Sweet Rudy doesn't know where to go after such a tragic loss. Anyone who has lost someone close to them can definitely relate to seeing Rudy just float through life and not fully deal with his loss and mourn what he has gone through. When a detective shows up and re-opens these wounds that never fully healed, poor Rudy's life is turned upside down. The people that are there for him surely surprise him. The turmoil of his daughters life breaks his heart. But, in the end, Rudy is triumphant in his return to normalcy.
** I received an ARC from NetGalley and the Publisher in exchange for an honest review.**

I need to read this one in its entirety when it is released. It was missing a few points and I got lost a couple of times when it would end on one section and then jump into the next. However, from what I did read and understand it was an emotional roller coaster. There is a lot of loss, love, and grief that line the pages of this novel. I love the premise of the book. I also love the way it is being told. It was the blank spaces that took me a little off-guard. I'll be rereading this one now that's it is published and updating my review.
Rudy is 54 years old. He wakes up one morning only to find his wife has passed away in the night. How does life go on from here? Rudy struggles with depression, also brought on because he has lost his job and is floundering in the world. What saves him is his new  position as the piano player at Nordstrom's Department Store and his new friendship with the  young woman running the jewelry counter. When one door closes ......