The Perfect Plan

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

The cover for The Perfect Plan is what caught my eye, and the blurb sounded interesting, familiar but still interesting. In reality, the story wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I had a hard time connecting with the characters, which could be because none of them are likable. Granted, I don't think they were really meant to be likable, and that's not necessarily a deal breaker, especially in a thriller setting. However, I wouldn't consider this one a thriller. It's certainly family drama, there's more family drama than you can shake a stick at. There are a few scenes that hint and even almost touch on thriller elements, but this one just doesn't quite get there. My biggest issue with The Perfect Plan was its complete predictability. There are twists, but not a single one surprised me. The story does have a decent mystery aspect with the disappearance of Liam and Drew's father, but it wasn't too hard to guess at least the gist of that too. No two people read the same book, so take my thoughts for what they're worth. If it sounds good, give it a shot. For me, there were just more cons than pros with this one.
I included this title in a crime fiction roundup on my blog and will submit the link to the publisher in the next round of this process.
A somber read that is less thriller and more character studies of Drew and Liam. Their sibling relationship and how they grew up affecting their present day decisions.

Their past created two different types of people. Sociopathy runs rampant with no one to help either of them. While the characters are hard to like, I did feel for Liam. His desperate acts to reach a turning point. What happens when there's no where to turn except for within yourself?

This won't be a read for everyone. However, the writing is distinctive and extremely well done in showcasing the characters within. I'm having a hard time really putting how i feel about this into words. I do think this is a story worth reading. However, it won't be the story most thriller readers are expecting to read.
When I got this from Netgalley the premise sounded slightly familiar. Once I started reading, that feeling went away.  The book was nothing that I expected, but, and it's been a long time since I've been able to say this, that was a good thing.

The story is divided into four parts: The Abduction, His Plan, Her Plan, and My Plan.  We know that the narrator, Liam, is pushed to his limit.  We read flashbacks of an abusive childhood, alcoholism, and violence.  Liam has one happy memory with his brother Drew.  It's a well he goes back to often just to keep his sanity.  Everything else was psychological and physical torture.  As a child, Liam lives in fear of his father and fear for his mother.  As an adult, he is under his brother's thumb.

What changes in Liam? It takes about 2/3 of the book to get to that so I won't go into it here.  I will say that Drew is a politician running for office and very few people know the real him.  He has the perfect story of mom dying and dad running off while he finished raising his little brother.  He has the perfect wife.  He surrounds himself with young staff that understand the voters and how to win.

I was hooked from the first part, The Abduction.  It tells you what is going to happen right there in the title but that doesn't take away from watching it happen.  You can also tell from the titles of each part that everyone has a different agenda here.  I read the second two parts pretty quickly because I wanted to get to the real plan.  Liam's plan.  That is where you get the real details and find out what Liam really wants.

Not for the faint of heart and not light summer reading, The Perfect Plan is a story of the cycle of abuse and the toll it takes on people.  I recommend if you are in the mood for something to think about.
I thought this had a very poor plot. It sounded Interesting at first, but very quickly got confusing and was not well explained. I also hated the characters and thought they had no background or development. This was just not the book for me.
Liam Brennan has always been the screw up brother while Drew has always been the perfect brother. But are appearances all they seem? This book is told in the past and the present so the reader gets the entire story. :Lots of deep dark family secrets are revealed and helps you to understand the characters. This book was a tad too dark for me. The backstory is truly hard to read at times. I received an advanced readers copy and all opinions are my own.
A psychological thriller about two brothers, Liam and Drew, who grew up in an abusive home.  They are complete opposites - Liam is the black sheep, the "bad seed", while Drew is the outgoing, successful one.  Their horrible upbringing shaped both of them as adults - and just when you think you know who's who, the twists and turns take you in a whole new direction.
I really enjoyed this one - even though it was dark I was interested enough to keep reading.
Thanks to Bryan Reardon, Dutton Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book.
This is an edge of your seat page turner that will leave you speechless. Liam and Drew Brennan are brothers. Drew has always been the perfect child, the apple of their parents eye, while Liam has always been more problematic, the rebel.
When Liam kidnaps a woman who works for his brother, it looks like this may be the beginning of the end for him. Through the course of the book, Liam tries to elude the authorities and his brother Drew, always keeping himself one step ahead of them. However, it all comes crashing down in the final pages (no spoilers here you have to read it!) in a finale that will take your breath away
The Perfect Plan by author Bryan Reardon is a thrill of a book! Lots of heart went into this one!! Family, twists, secrets and dark sides make for a wonderful thriller novel, and that’s what we got here!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of The Perfect Plan in exchange for an honest review.
Liam Brennan teeters on the edge. Early one morning, he snaps, kidnapping a young woman who works for Drew Brennan, Liam’s older brother and the upstart candidate in a heated election. This sudden, vicious attack appears to be the beginning of an unthinkable spiral. But when it comes to the Brennan brothers, nothing is what it seems.

To the rest of the world, Liam is the troubled problem child who grew up to be his brother’s enforcer, while Drew has always been the perfect son and a charismatic leader who has his sights set on the governor’s mansion with his charming and beautiful wife, Patsy, by his side.

Now, as Liam tries to stay one step ahead of the authorities and his brother, every passing minute provides a deeper glimpse into the brothers’ past, long hidden behind a picture-perfect suburban veneer. With the threat of the truth surfacing, Liam and Drew are driven toward one final, desperate act...

I enjoyed it mostly. It seemed a bit far fetched at times. A dysfunctional family read.
Thanks to NetGalley for the advance copy to review.