Cover Image: Becoming the Dragon

Becoming the Dragon

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review!

*deep inhale*

Look. I don't like trashing something that someone has put their all into creating. This book is something the author has worked on for a long time and I get that a lot went into it's creation. I always try to find the good in the books I read, even if I didn't enjoy them. With that said, we're gonna talk about the bad things first and end with the good, so as to end on a positive note.

The Bad:

- Why did we need a description of every woman's cleavage? Seriously, at one point, I had to read this in regards to the king's youngest daughter: "The younger one, Namita, as thin as a reed, with a barely visible chest..." Why do I need to know about this *child's* chest size?! Why is this at all relevant?

-The fact that there aren't any well-written female characters in this is less shocking when you take point one into consideration.

- But the fact that *all* of the characters where about as exciting as dishwater was a bit disappointing. Especially in a book about a boy who turns into a literal dragon!

- And can we talk about Andy? How does a kid from our world who doesn't even read fantasy books tap into his insanely overpowered magical abilities so easily?! Make it make sense.

- Though that may be due to the fact that the timeline is a jumbled mess. There's so much jumping back in forth in such a short book that I found myself completely lost. And let's not get started on the overburdened paragraphs that attempted to explain the science and magic of this world. All those accomplished were making my eyelids droop.

...*sigh* Okay. Let's move on, shall we?

The Good:

- The premise is such a great one! It's unique and has a lot of potential.

- I did love the author's depictions of the new world Andy arrives in. They were vivid and made it easy to imagine the land.

- It was short, so it was a pretty fast read... *shrug*

And, in the spirit of ending on a good note, I will leave it at that! I will not be continuing this series, but I do wish the author all the best in his future endeavors!
Becoming the Dragon did not work for me at all.  I really enjoyed the very beginning when he met the guy with the bow, but then it fell off hard and was unreadable. It was way too confusing.  Minus the bow guy the characters were nothing special which made it even more of a problem to continue reading.  I DNF the book.
A remarkable science fantasy with a brilliant cast of characters, both human and fantasy.
When Andy is teleported into a fantasy medieval land of castles, battling armies, mages, orcs and dragons, he is forced to endure great physical hardship before he learns to use his special gifts.
Sadly, I had to DNF this book at 32%.
It was poorly written, the protagonist was horrible to follow... How was he supposed to be a child? Sometimes he did reckless, childish stuff but at other times it read more like it was from the mind of a young adult.
I must say I have read fanfictions that were better than this book.
Unfortunately I had issues getting into this book and was confused for the most of it. It unfortunately didn't work out for me...
Tale of a boy and a dragon. Andy is struck by lightning and his life is never the same. In an effort to cope he takes up many hobbies yet finds himself on another world where he meets elves, ogres, and a dragon. This is the first book in the series and it ends with a cliff hanger. The book is well written, much like a cross between Lord of the Rings and Game of thrones. Happy reading.
This idea had so much potential. *sigh*
Something you have to understand is that I love everything about dragons, everything. From child theme to adult. I love them. So when I read this description I was definitely intrigued; a child finding himself on a planet where dragons exist. What's not to like?

Well, there were a few things. Andy as a character seemed so flat to me even if we got to partly follow him through his upbringing and pertinent events leading up to the fantastical elements. Andy wasn't the only underdeveloped character for me; I didn't particularly care for any of them if I'm being honest. Some things that happened didn't make sense either but that might just be a generalization on my part.
The world building wasn't especially intricate either but that probably won't serve as a problem for younger readers, however, I wanted to know more. Overall though, this book did have a steady plot which was especially good. It wasn't horrible but it definitely has potential to become something better.
I tried really hard to get into this book. I love dragons but the story was too confusing to navigate. The story building was not well formulated. It was confusing on figuring out who was talking. Great premise but needs work.
This is a pretty good book, the plotting was a little staggering. I feel it has a wonderful setup for a great tale, but we need to slow it down. It feels almost rushed because it’s feels it was all crammed into 1 book what could have been 3, not to give away much but at one point a character was introduced that has a pretty big impact on the main character and in less than 5 pages it feels like is no longer with us. I think the ideas are great but we need to expand the time frame things happen, I will continuing to read the following books in the series!!