It's Not Supposed to Be This Way

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A powerful and comforting book for anyone who has struggles at any time in life -- which is all of us. This was a little more religious than I thought it was going to be, which took away some of the appeal for me, but would certainly add appeal to many. Definitely well done and worth reading.
Lysa Terkeurst shares how she was able to to get through her husband's infidelity and her personal battle with cancer.
Her story exemplifies the fact that just because you are a person of faith you not exempted from the bad things that happen to good people especially a high profile person in religious circles (Ms Terkeurst is the president of the Proverbs 31 Ministries).  She says that through tough times, she feels that God wasn't picking on her but rather He was picking her to personally live out His promises. She shares her struggle with self-acceptance and focuses more on drawing the lessons from her experience as well as those who are close to her
The book is sectioned into portions where she addresses the issues, challenges with questions provide additional scriptures as well as prayers that you can steal. My favourite chapter is "Fighting Words" which are prayers/mantras/reminders accompanied by scriptures that readers can use when they feel attacked by the enemy. I think I might just plaster them on my wall.
I am a fan of Lysa TurKeurst from viewing her posts on FB and listening to a few of her talks.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get into It's not supposed to be this way.

As a woman who has known disappointment and significant health challenge and loss, I anticipated that this read would be a fantastic comfort and encouragement.  I found it very heavy and not what I was hoping for at all.

I am grateful to the publisher and to Netgalley for the opportunity to read an ARC.
What a powerful book. I decided to review this because I heard Lysa speak on the subject of “between two gardens” and found it deeply intriguing.

This book is written from a very vulnerable place in in Lysa’s life. She was in the middle of her marriage falling apart, cancer diagnosis and she didn’t know the end of the story. If you follow Lysa at all you know God has brought her through and healed her marriage, but as she wrote this book she didn’t know what would happen.

I love the illustrations that she uses to teach the reader her points. At the end of each chapters is a place to go deeper. Reflect on what chapter and answer questions about your own journey.

A copy of this book was given to me. All opinions are my own.
LOVE. Lysa is an amazing author and gives so much wisdom throughout the pages of this book that she wrote during an incredibly tough season of her life. So thankful to have this book to go back to in difficult times. God is truly doing amazing things through her.
I have read several of Lysa TerKeurst's books and I really appreciate the wisdom and her experience that she brings to each book.  This book is about how to handle life when it doesn't go the way you think it will. In Lysa's case, she tells about her grief after finding out about her husband being unfaithful.  Lysa is raw and vulnerable in her writing.  She does a great job of telling her personal pain while also extending the lessons she learned to the reader who maybe hasn't been in her same situation but has experienced unexpected heartbreak. I found it helpful to read this book one chapter at a time to let the material sink in and reflect on what I learned.  If you are looking for wisdom to help you look a difficult time, this book would be a great read for you.
Lysa TerKeurst is wonderful at sharing the hard-earned wisdom she has searched for and found while struggling with her own deeply painful, unexpected trials. She is a Christian writer, the answers she shares are of a spiritual and biblical nature.

Like the late Wayne Dyer, I believe there’s a spiritual solution to every problem. Lysa is very relatable and candid about her own struggles. She lovingly shares heart healing wisdom from the word of God. Lysa has a way of communicating these truths in such a manner that I am touched and changed by her words, whether written or spoken.

I received an ARC from Thomas Nelson Publishing and NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
This book felt like one long therapy session.  That can be good or bad, depending what you are needing.  I am a Lysa fan, but this one was kind of depressing.
Wow! I have read this book and reread several chapters over and over again. It is definitely a book that I will keep re-reading. I’ve shared my thoughts with friends and family. One of my friends purchased this book and absolutely loves it. It has helped her through tough and trying times with her family.
This has a lot of good points, but most of it is not novelty. I couldn't finish it because it dragged. I really do want to empathize with the author, but I just couldn't. Maybe it's because our lives are so different.
This book is beautifully written and filled with hopeful and attainable messages, for everyone, not just Christians even if the book is aimed at them, mostly.
The chapters are well organized and at the end of each one, there is a page or so with the summary of what the reader learned which I found of great help and another page filled with scripture that could be of help as well as a little prayer to help with whatever hardship someone might be going through.
This book takes a lot of the reader's agency because being written by a believer, the author tells us that no matter what, our path is being decided by god so w mostly have to sit down and wait for things to be good again, if we don't like what is happening at a given time. If you are a theist, then this book will be very comforting
I also liked the cover a lot, with the correct balance between light colors that grab our attention and only when we actually focus, lets us see what is wrong with the picture.
Thank you to NetGalley and NelsonBooks for this ARC.
To be honest, It's Not Supposed to Be This Way fell into the category of "not applicable" in my mind based on my following the author Lysa Terkeurst's on social media and knowing what hardships she was facing. I WAS VERY WRONG about the topic of the book!

Be aware that if you are under the impression like myself that it is about a cheating spouse and how to find restoration in your marriage, it is NOT. It's Not Supposed to Be This Way is a book on how to deal with any life situation that "is not supposed to be this way" and more importantly how to cope with Jesus by your side. Lysa walks you through dark circumstances with understanding and grit because she truly has experienced and is fighting the battle of painful situations while putting the words on paper. A book has so much more depth and speaks loudly when the author has been or is going through what they are writing about. You can feel the emotion and power in the words.

In our current world where expectations and perfection are put in front of us daily as if they are the norm, it is comforting to have a book that exposes reality and what is probably the "real" norm which is disappointment and imperfectness. Behind all of the pretty images and curated posts, there are real people going through very real struggles and you can find help in this book to deal with them. At the end of each chapter, there is a section called Going to the Well and it gives you practical application of what you have read and breaks it down into simple segments labeled - Remember, Receive and Reflect. After absorbing the pages in the chapter instead of setting the book down with a swirling mind, you have the tools to piece it together and apply it right away.

I am so thankful that I took the time to read It's Not Supposed to Be This Way that I thought wasn't relevant to my life. It was not only relevant but it turned out to be a book I highly recommend to others to read!
I normally like Lysa's writing but this one felt like a rehashing of some of her other books and focused on her divorce...which she didn't end up geting and had a vow renewal so the message ends up being a bit confusing? Kudos for being so raw though! It was kind of interesting since many Christian authors ignore any bad in their lives.
It's Not Supposed to Be This Way
By Lysa TerKeurst
Life can be disappointing. Our expectations and desires don’t always play out how we imagined. Lysa TerKeurst shares her personal struggles with life’s disappointments and points to God and His plan as the key to experiencing peace and hope.
I have to say that Lysa is a truly strong woman for being bold enough to share her story of faith so we can learn and grow in faith. I admire her willingness to follow the Lord in her life which allows the reader to feel at ease while reading her book. Knowing that this is not holier than thou author preaching made it an easy, authentic read.
The topic of disappointments is easily relatable. I haven’t met anyone that hasn’t been disappointed in something that life has thrown at them. Our response to life’s disappointments is pivotal. Although we may not feel like there are options in our moments of despair, we do have the choice to look up to our heavenly Father or down to ourselves to carry on. Lysa gives some great advice on how to stand strong against the enemy and persevere in our faith. Knowing how to navigate through life’s lemon moments and put your faith in the Lord will bring comfort and peace to you knowing you can face tomorrow.
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest opinion which I share here. https://simplyannehere.wordpress.com
This book is a combination of a memoir and self-help book with a heavy emphasis on your relationship with God. While I personally did not enjoy this book, I can see many truly loving it.

Thank you for the ARC Netgalley.
We all have hurts and disappointments in life.  This book gently reminds us who we need to lean into.
The premise of this book is quite interesting. As I was reading of the trials Lysa had experienced, it brought to mind of when I had the pleasure and honor of attending a Mass by Pope John Paul II. I am reminded of one of his core beliefs that largely led how he approached his latter years of life. He believed that God’s purpose for human suffering, whether it is physical or mental, is to allow us time to grow closer to God. It’s easy to believe in God and your religion when things are going well but to go through suffering forces you to allow Jesus to carry the burden and for you as a flawed human to accept that. Lysa does a good job of continuing this message.

#ItsNotSupposedToBeThisWay #NetGalley
It's Not Supposed to be This Way.  What a great book title!  The Bible tells us that God created the world good.  Lamentably, with the first sin in the garden of Eden, everything changed.  The heartache, the disappointment, the trials that are now faced by every human in life?  This is not how God created things.  It's not supposed to be this way.

If we study the overarching theme of the Bible, we see that God uses all things to bring about good.  TerKeurst builds on this truth in her book and show how disappointments in life can hold so much potential for good.  She encourages her reader to "be grateful and positive" in the midst of disappointments without "pretending we don't get exhausted by our disappointments".  TerKeurst shares intimate details of her own struggles, connecting herself with the reader.

While TerKeurst's writing was relatable, I could not help but see the first few chapters as a combination of a biography, a pep talk, and a self-help book.  This was not the type of book I was expecting, nor was it one I was particularly interested in reading.

TerKeurst's worldview snuck through at times through her particular choice of words.  She wrote of how "God showed [her] a picture of how He wants [her] to be as [she does] life from here."  She states the she is "not really a 'see some sort of vision' kind of girl" and how "at first [she] thought it was just [her] imagination wandering off for a minute.  But then [she] felt an impression on [her] heart that this wasn't random; this really was from God."  TerKeurst then depicts this vision she was supposedly given, in great detail.  This phrasing and practice concerns me and caused me to be on guard as I continued reading.

TerKeurst writes of how God has given His Word to guide through disappointments.  She goes on to encourage the reader to store up "fighting words" and make declarations over situations they are facing.  She states, "We all need to have some fighting words on hand so we can declare God's truth over our difficult situations".  Some "fighting words" she recommends are, "I am declaring right now that I will not be swept up into a storm of fear and wild emotions", "I will not be one of [Satan's] victims, nor will I be afraid", "I will not be a woman controlled by the lies of the enemy or by my own doubts and fears", "I will see the things that come my way as God's perfect plan to develop my character to match my calling", "I am declaring hope and truth over my life".

My heart bristles at this wording.  Our confidence it to be in God alone, not in our declarations.  Though each statement she makes is backed with a Bible verse, when phrased as "I declare", the focus is taken off of God as our strength and placed on our very declaration.  Declaring "I will not" does not make the declaration occur.  To expect it to be so, is to set oneself up for disappointment.  I would have loved to see these same statements made with a humble prayer, even begging God to let these things be true in our lives.  Let the source of our strength be God alone, and our declarations be ones of praise for who He is.  Let our "fighting words" be His Words, stored in our hearts and overflowing in our lives.

While the bulk of the content of TerKeurst's book was good, and she had some very relatable, quotable material, I was not a fan of her writing style or the things already mentioned above.  If I were to recommend a book regarding disappointments, I would be much more likely to recommend Elisabeth Elliot's Suffering is Never for Nothing.
This book was very timely for me and I found great strength and encouragement from Lysa's words of wisdom. Though I am not sure that I agree on all her thoughts regarding 'suffering,' I found many great takeaways that relate and apply to my current situation. I love Lysa's courage, vulnerability and humility, and I pray that everyone can receive something from this book.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ecopy of this book for my Kindle.
Disappointments and heart aches happen even when you're doing what God has directed you to do.  Knowing how to face them and to get above them is the hard part.  Giving her personal examples and ways she handled these was very encouraging..
A great book!