The Persian Gamble

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 May 2019

First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Joel C. Rosenberg, and Tyndale House Publishers for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

Joel C. Rosenberg is back with another political thriller that is quite timely, knowing current geo-political situations. With Marcus Ryker inside Russia, he is on a mission to bring an agent planted inside the Russian Government to safety, where they can discuss much of what he has learned. However, with the recent assassination of the Russian President and head of the FSB, there is a really good chance that this mole (and Ryker) are behind the killings, making the manhunt to find them all the more intense. When even the US Government is leery about helping, Ryker knows that he will have to reveal some of the intel to ensure their safe extraction from the edges of the Russian border region. It would seem that the Russians have made a secret military alliance with the North Koreans, which could help both sides in the event of aggression from other parts of the world. Other intel includes Russia’s plans to annex some of its former Soviet satellite countries, thereby beginning a war with NATO that is surely to devolve into a bloodbath. Add that to the news that the recently neutered Iranians have been covertly communicating with the North Koreans to obtain key pieces necessary to create a nuclear arsenal, and things could not be worse. With nuclear capabilities, the Iranians could be used against Israel, the Americans, and any others who seek to disrupt them. As Ryker fights to help out however he can, he remembers his strong Christian ties and wrestles with the increased amount of violence that will soon take place to end these political nightmares. As he tries to justify it, Ryker is sent to Japan to prepare for another mission, covertly scouting out the North Korean warheads being shipped to their Iranian partners. With bodies piling up all around them, Ryker sees friends and foes alike lose their lives, which only tests his religious beliefs, forcing him to question his role in the entire affair. A well-plotted novel that always takes politics to a new level. Fans of Rosenberg will surely want to get their hands on this piece to devour the political banter, if nothing else.

I always enjoy a good Rosenberg novel, as he is not only on point about the political situation, but has an uncanny way of predicting the future with the plots of his stories. A few past novels have been spot-on with their predictions, leaving the reader with an eerie sense of ‘could it’ as they devour each new book. Marcus Ryker plays an interesting protagonist in this book, struggling to do his job and find a balance with his religious beliefs. Rosenberg does not inculcate the reader too much with this book, but there is mention of biblical scripture and Ryker ponders what it all means. He has lost his family, so there is little but his own life to ponder, making him an unpredictable character in the field. Many of the others around him prove highly entertaining as well, their beliefs and sentimentalities key to keeping the story on track. Rosenberg is masterful at his ability to create strong characters throughout the piece and keep them growing throughout. The plot was not only plausible but also highly in touch with what is going on in various political spheres. There is little chance that Rosenberg is completely off base with some of his ideas, though just how real they could turn out to be is sure to jolt some readers when the time comes. The chapters were quick and kept the reader pushing forward, while never losing interest. One can only hope that there is more to come, be it in the series or with Rosenberg’s writing, as he is able to weave a tale like few others I have seen in all my years of reading. Politically gritty with that softer Christian passivity when it suits the plot, this is an author about whom readers should take note, if they are not already familiar with his work.

Kudos, Mr. Rosenberg, for such a great new piece. I liked much about it, even if I try not to get too bogged down by the Christian aspects of your character development.
THE PERSIAN GAMBLE..   ..by .JOEL...ROSENBERG
A sequel to the Kremlin Conspiracy .A-retired Agent Marcus is called back to service. He teams up with a Russian assassin Oleg son in law to a Russian dictator, code name Raven. Now  helping him to defect from Russia after he killed  his father in law.  Risking his life giving American information. Now with hazard conditions these two are running for their lives. A political thriller with many countries after them. It is a tight twisted plot to the end.Given ARC for my voluntary review and my honest opinion   by Net Galley and Tyndale.
This is a great book.  It’s a political thriller that reads like a Jason Bourne novel.  One of the chase scenes was epic and would be great in a movie. It shocked me to think that the events in this book are reality for some of the men and women who protect and defend our country.  I can’t imagine living with that kind of stress, danger, and urgency.  I’m thankful for them and for all the things I will never know about what they’ve done.
Marcus and his Russian counterpart, Oleg, are willing to do crazy things to try to prevent World War III.  Their alliance, unlikely as it is, captures them in a deadly game of cat and mouse.  There is a ton of action and suspense.  It’s a great read.
This book would be best if read after reading “The Kremlin Conspiracy.”  This book starts up right where that one ends.  I would highly recommend this book.  It’s a page turner.  Thank you to Tyndale House for providing me with an e-copy of this book.  I was not required to leave a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
This is the sequel to the Kremlin Conspiracy so readers will want to read that book before attempting this one. Marcus Ryker makes a dramatic entrance into this new installment. Stakes are high as he along with Oleg Kraskin race to prevent a nuclear event. Lots of action! Recommended!
Retired Secret Service Agent Marcus Ryker has been called back to duty for a special mission.  He teams up with a Russian assassin who is the  son in law of a Russian dictator.

This wasn’t my favorite book by this author.  There are a lot of characters to keep straight, there is a list of over 30 in the front of the book.  There was a lot of action and political intrigue but the book just didn’t grab me.  Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy.
The Persian Gamble is the sequel to the Kremlin Conspiracy. Book 2 finds retired US Secret Service agent Marcus Ryker teamed up with Oleg Kraskin son in law of the Russian dictator. The two are on the run from both sides and have a limited amount of time to prevent a nuclear holocaust.

I found this book to be edge of my seat, no sleep exciting. The characters are strong and quite believable and the situations they get themselves into are fascinating. My only problem with this book is that I will have to wait a year to find out what happens next. So grab a mug of chai and settle in for a fantastic read!

I was given a copy of this book by NetGalley.com with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.
The third installment with a definite swing to the USSR as the old/new evil rather than ISIS and more "grown-up violent scenes depicted.
Markus Ryker is again the star "fate of the world" balancer here between the major players of Russia, Iran, North Korea, and Washington DC.   An easy enjoyable read but with a sharper edge than Rosen usually gives in action scenes.
The landscape of the political thriller has seen a shift in 2018. Authors and the public in general are starting to view Russia as the main threat to the West rather than the Middle East. I’ve read several thrillers in 2018 that focus on the Russian menace and suspect that I will read a few more in 2019. Rosenberg seemed to be on the leading edge of the Russian trend with his March 2018 release of The Kremlin Conspiracy and in-deed always seems to be a bit prognosticative with his fiction. In The Persian Gamble, Rosenberg brings back former U.S. Secret Service agent Marcus Ryker (The Kremlin Conspiracy) and AGAIN he has to stop a potential nuclear war.

The Persian Gamble feels a bit repetitive, not only within the current landscape of the political thriller, but within Rosenberg’s own universe as well. The names have been changed, but the plot remains the same. Russia, North Korea, and Iran make up the baddies, while Ryker, Israel and the U.S. are on the side of good.

This is a Tyndale House publication, so it may appeal to the reader who wishes to avoid the serious violence, language and mayhem of some of Mr. Rosenberg's contemporaries in the genre but, at least with regards to story, I felt like Spymaster, Red War and Bloody Sunday (all 2018 publications) were better with somewhat similar plots.

Mr. Rosenberg has too many skins on the wall for me to seriously knock anything he’s written, but if anything, I felt like I’d read this story before. Not bad, but not a story that kept me reading into the early hours of morning.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC, all the best.
While THE PERSIAN GAMBLE by JOEL C. ROSENBERG is the sequel to The Kremlin Conspiracy, it can easily be read as a stand alone. Having read and enjoyed The Kremln Conspiracy, I was really pleased to have the story carry on, and am hoping there will be another novel in this series.
Joel Rosenberg is a master of the political thriller and is so knowledgeable about the Middle East and Last Days prophecy that his novels are always exciting and give us so much food for thought. Add to that a really solid Christian message and he has provided us with a worthwhile read.
Former secret service agent Marcus Ryker is helping Oleg Kraskin, code name  Raven, defect from Russia after killing his father in law, President Lukanov, in order to prevent world war three. Oleg has risked his life to give information to the Americans. The two of them are on the run, with the wounded Jenny Morris, in sub zero temperatures and blizzard conditions, with both the Russians and Americans after them.
When Oleg, through his contact in North Korea, General Yong-Jin Yoon, hears that the Iranians are about to buy Russian warheads from the North Koreans, things heat up even more!
The novel is fast paced and very exciting, and full of political intrigue. It is hard to put down - in fact I have just read it straight through again, to see if I missed anything! Needless to say, I highly recommend The Persian Gamble.
I was given a free copy of the book by Tyndale House Publishers from NetGalley. The opinions in this review are completely my own.