Two Weeks

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Apr 2019

Karen Kingsbury does it again. Only four chapters in and I was wiping my tears. I haven't read a lot of Karen's books in the last couple of years, but this is the second one this year and I am really wanting to go back and start at the beginning and read all of her backlists.

This book is once again about the Baxter's, a lovely close-knit family that Karen has devoted many books to. The main character is Cole, an 18-year-old son of Ashley Baxter Blake. He is mature for his age, compassionate and completely sold out for God. Elise, the other main character, is also 18 and one semester of bad choices has led to a teen pregnancy. This is the journey of first love, hard choices, redemption, and lasts. And I hope it's not the last we will hear of Cole and Elise. I want to know how their story ends.

This book gripped me. I couldn't read it fast enough and yet I didn't want it to end. I think there were a few reasons for this, one was in the early pages of the book and a little girl that was born too soon. Those kinds of stories will always move me to tears because I relive my own heartache through the pages of a book. Secondly, I think it was because Karen emphasized Ashley's journey through this book as well. Cole is her oldest son and he is supposed to be heading off to college in the fall and she is facing some lasts with her son: his last breakfast, his last day as a high school student, etc. etc. And Ashley reflects back about how she thought this day would never come back when Cole was little, that it was a million years away. And I need that perspective now when I'm in the trenches of mothing littles and I wonder if the day will ever come that they will grow up. It seems so far away and yet it's going to be right here before I know it, so the challenge this book gave me was to treasure every moment.

I also really like the relationship Cole had with his parents--he talked to them about everything and that is something I want my own children to have.

My takeaway from this book is something I already mentioned: treasure each moment. I don't know when it will be the last time my daughter wants to sit on my lap and be comforted. I don't know when the last time will be that they will take their favorite blanket to bed with them. And quite frankly, as the book also shows, I don't know, but that the last time I see them may be long before I am ready to give them up.

I received this book from Net Galley and was not required to write a positive review.
I fell in love with Karen Kingsbury books just as I fell in love with the Baxter family. If you have not yet read any of her books about the Baxter family, you can start here and be just fine, her books fill you in on any part you may have missed in previous books. However if you are like myself and have read most, if not all of this series of books about the Baxter family here is another great one. If you are new to the Baxter family I encourage you to read more from the entire series.

There are over twenty, (yes, twenty) books around the Baxter family. some may wonder how anyone can write so many books about one family and they not get boring, well read this series and you will see. You will fall in love with the entire family even their family friends. You will laugh, cry and maybe find yourself in one or more of the characters in one of these books.

Cole Blake is the main focus of this novel and his new friend Elise. Even though true to Kingsburry style of writing there are many more characters at play (who are also very important to the book) Kingsbury has a unique style, each chapter may be from a different characters perspective. There is typically more than one main focus throughout the book, but as a reader you are not lost.

I love the way her characters are flawed, they are very much life like. I am so glad to hear more from the Baxter family and hope there are more to come.
I am a huge Karen Kingsburg fan and have read all of her books and every new installment of the Baxter Family--just gets better and better. This book reminded me of reading the original first 5 books of the Baxter Family and when we were learning about each Baxter sibling separately and now Cole is graduating high school. Two Weeks gripped me from the beginning and you just hoped that a happy ending for all couples would turn out by the end of the book. Karen took such an emotional topic for a lot of people and turned it into such a positive turn of events. Must-read!
Thanks Netgalley for the pre-read and all the thoughts and opinions are my
Fans of Karen Kingsbury's Baxter family will surely enjoy this visit with Cole Blake as he finishes high school. A new girl joins his class and suddenly all of his plans are in jeopardy. Elise has a past and shortly after she and Cole meet she reveals she is pregnant by a former boyfriend. Two weeks refers to the two weeks a woman has to change her mind after surrendering a newborn for adoption. I enjoyed this book even though at times I was fighting tears. So grab a cup of tea and a comfy chair and settle in for a good read!
i was given a copy of this book by NetGalley.com with no expectations. All thoughts are my own.
I loved this book. Book made me cry 😢 and at the same time be happy for the people. Adoption is such a hard route for mothers to go and also for the people adopting the child. Adoption is such a happy time for families who without it would never be able to experience motherhood or be a father. I have saw adoption within my family and the joy of it. I have also saw the other side of the picture where my daughter had to return a child at three days old. A beautiful book.
Elise had an open cardboard box on her bed  and a note from her mother. Elise was eighteen and living with her aunt Carol and Uncle Ken. Her mother said she could come back home  that summer. Elise wondered why she had treated her mother so bad. There had never been any sign of her father and Elise had no idea who he was. Elise and her mother had never been apart. Until a year ago Elise had been a good girl. Did her homework, stayed home on Saturday night, went to church Sunday morning with her mom. But midway through her Junior year two things happened. Elise become sure she wanted to be an artist when she was older. Elise was most alive when in front of an easel. She told her mother she wanted to be an artist and her mother said no, to find a respectable career. After that distance grew between Chloe and her mother.The second thing n her Junior year Elise meant Randy Collins. He was a linebacker on the football team with a bad reputation Friday night they had ended up at the same party and he came up to talk to her.   Elise wanted to get straight As here- no friends, no guys.  Cole was in his last semester at Clear Creek High. One more season of baseball, one more prom. Than in May he’d wear his cap and gown and then headed to Liberty University. He would end up in med school. Serious relationships could wait until late in college for now friendships would have to do.He didn’t have time for anything else. Then Cole seen a girl he didn’t know when he went to science class. She said she was Elise Walker and new. For the first time in his life Cole was obsessed with a girl. No girl had affected Cole as Elise had and all in one day. Lucy and her husband had moved to Bloomington Hospital. The distance between Lucy and her husband Aaron was becoming was becoming a great divide. Lucy felt more alone every passing day. Aaron was an assistant administrator. Lucy was a NICU nurse at the same hospital. . Their personal future worried Lucy. Last year Elise had went from class good girl to one of the wildest kids at school. Now she volunteered at the hospital Making rounds and talking to people and being nice to people who didn’t have long to live. Elise couldn’t couldn’t stop thinking about Cole. She laughed with him, studied with him, and even pretended to be a champion bowler with Cole. Cole was the most incredible boy Elise had ever met. But she wouldn’t let herself have feeling for him. That wasn’t what the semester was about. The last time Elise had slept with Randy was two months ago. Now she was having some nausea and Elise hoped she wasn’t pregnant. Randy had been abusive and forced her to have sex with him. Elise was pregnant and Cole told Elise he would stand by her. Elise decided she was going to give up her child for adoption. Elise chose Lucy and Aaron for the adoptive parents for her child. Theo and Alma had a daughter Vienna- an only child- and she asked her parents to get back into being foster parents. Vienna was doted upon by her parents and she was a good and loving daughter.Than  there was a car accident and Vienna was  dead. Losing Vienna was the worst thing Theo and Alma had ever faced.
I enjoyed this book. It had a lot going on at times. Even though everything tied in together I thought it was a bit much. This also dragged for me a little at times. But it was well written with the way the author dealt with many issues: unwanted teen pregnancy, infertility, losing babies through miscarriage or adoption falling through and even death of a beloved only  teenage child. I was glad i read this all the way through. I chuckled at times and other times I choked up.and had tears go down my cheeks. I advise you to read this whole series to have a more knowledgeable and smoother read. I didn’t expect the ending and how it ended, I would have liked to know how Coole and Elise’s story ended. Or at least more than we got. I loved the characters and the ins and outs of this book and I recommend it.
Let me take a moment to tell you, if you have never, ever read a book by Karen Kingsbury, you need to remedy that right now. Right here,with this novel. With this novel, you will feel every. Single. Emotion. Every. Single. One. You will need 10 boxes of tissues, and a quiet, peaceful room to reflect after.  Karen Kingsbury takes all that she has prayed about, all that God lays on her heart, puts her words to paper and delivers a novel that sends out hope and inspiration.

Once again, we get a glimpse into another Baxter family member. This time, it’s Cole’s story. Cole has been a long time favorite of mine since way back when, when I read Redemption for the first. In this book, however, he’s all grown up, about to graduate and has met the beautiful Elise.

Elise is beautifully chiseled. I loved her character from the start, seeing a lot of myself in her. She’s going through a rough spot in life, and not a lot of hope that it will happen when she gets dealt an unexpected hand. I loved how Ms. Kingsbury chiseled her, making her beautifully flawed and just right for her part in the story. Add to the story, two amazing couples, and this story will take you on the enormous roller coaster of highs and lows.

This story is beautifully emotional, magnificently gripping, heart wrenching-ly inspiring. God is felt from start to finish, and with 5 stars, and two thumbs up, this novel is highly recommended by me.  There is a powerful message of what unconditional love means, and never losing sight of what’s right in front of you. Two Weeks to make one of the biggest decision of your life. Is it something you could do? Grab this novel now and find out.

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from NetGalley, Howard Books and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.*
As always, Karen Kingsbury has woven her magic into another great story! This time she takes on teenage pregnancy, adoption, sexual abuse, first love and loss, subjects that will touch many hearts. Her words soothe like being wrapped in a warm blanket on a cold night and remind us that God is in control and will never leave us. I happily recommend Two Weeks as well as all other great Kingsbury books.
This book hit me right in the feels. Even 24 hours after finishing I’m still feeling the effects.

How easy this could be about any teenage girl right now? Previously in a bad relationship with a terrible guy who gets away with the unthinkable. Does she have an abortion, give the baby up for adoption or keep the baby and forgo all her dreams? I couldn’t imagine making that decision. My heart aches for Elise.

I could relate to Lucy in some ways as never being able to have a child of my own. Luckily I was able to be a mom when I married my husband. His son became my son as well. Two Weeks made me look into myself and question if I could have been strong enough to go through so many failed adoption attempts. It might have shaken my belief in God like it did Lucy’s.

There is a third storyline in Two Weeks not mentioned on the book jacket that will have you reaching for the tissues and once again questioning why.

Take your time reading Two Weeks and soak up the amazing work of God in our daily lives.

This is book 5 in The Baxter Family and if you’ve read all the Baxter books or this is your first you can jump right in with no hesitation.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Howard Books through NetGalley. Any and all opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
I honestly don't think there will ever be a KK book that I don't give 5 stars to. These are just feel-good, REAL stories that will always have a place in my heart, in my library, and on my list of recommended books. I always pass on the titles to my family, friends, and coworkers. This one is no different. I love that the Baxter children are growing up and we are getting to see what their lives will be like as adults.
I've read so many Karen Kingsbury books I can't even begin to count, but I don't usually receive them to read and review as part of my blog, so when I saw today's book, Two Weeks, available on NetGalley, I requested it and was approved.  Although this is book 5 in the Baxter Family series, the book definitely served as a total standalone.  I had not read books 1 though 4, although I'm pretty sure I will be going back to catch them.

Two Weeks is the story of Cole Blake, Ashley Baxter's son and how he is ready and anxiously waiting to leave home so he can attend college in order to pursue a career in medicine.  He’s got his life all planned out - college and medical school at Liberty, while playing baseball and then back to work with his grandfather.   He is in his final semester of high school when he meets Elise.  He can't think of anything else except her - heart and mind, he's invested "all in".

The bad news is that Elise has baggage - she's pregnant by her ex-boyfriend who is also abusive and she's just not sure what she's going to do about it - is she going to let the baby live and raise it, let the baby be adopted out, or just get an abortion.  Cole watches Elise as she struggles with her decisions to be made and he really wants to help her, even if that means giving up his own dream and marrying her to raise another man's child. Cole is determined to stand by Elise no matter what she decides to do about the baby.

Then there's Lucy and Aaron who have unsuccessfully tried to get pregnant or adopt for ten years without results.  They've struggled through the heartbreak of it but Aaron knows that God has His own timing and they will eventually have a baby of their own.  Lucy, though, finds her faith wavering.

Finally, there's Theo and Alma Brown were previously foster parents until they had their own beautiful daughter, Vienna. Now that Vienna is growing up, she thinks that her parents should go back to fostering kids.

I'll admit I was a little confused by the different points of view in this story and how they were going to fit together. Two Weeks totally pulls readers in from the beginning and keeps us on an emotional journey all the way throughout the book. The characters are very well written and the story itself is very well developed.  I always enjoy reading Karen Kingsbury books because the storylines are legit and current in today's news.

I received an advanced readers digital copy of this book from NetGalley and Howard Books in exchange for my honest review and unbiased opinion. Thanks NetGalley and Howard Books!!
This is a voluntary review of an advanced copy.

Make sure that you have a box of tissues nearby when you start reading this book!  There were so many emotional parts to this book and as a mother, I could understand Ashley's reaction to her son, Cole's promise to stand by pregnant, Elise (even though he was not the father).

Your heart just ached for Aaron and Lucy who wanted a child and kept losing child after child.  The emotional roller coaster that they went through when Elise kept changing her mind would have wrecked a normal couple but though it all they kept their trust in God's plan for them.

I hope that we will have another Baxter book and we will find out what happens in Cole's life after he finishes school and becomes a doctor!  This book was a great reminder that we should be seeking His will and praying for guidance so we are making the best choices for our lives.
TWO WEEKS is the fifth book in the Baxter Family Series by Karen Kingsbury. It is the story of Cole Blake, Ashley Baxter’s son and how he is anxiously waiting to leave home to attend college and peruse a career in medicine. In his final semester of high school, he meets Elise and his heart and mind thinks of nothing else but her! Elise comes with lots of trouble including the fact that she is pregnant by her abusive ex-boyfriend and she’s not sure what she is going to do.

Karen Kingsbury sure knows how to make the reader feel as if they are right there at the kitchen table with the family dealing with all their troubles and TWO WEEKS is exactly that! She made me sad, then the next moment I was smiling and giggling out loud! You can never go wrong with a Karen Kingsbury book if you are a fan of the Christian fiction genre. All of her characters feel genuine and relatable and put your emotions on one heck of a roller coaster ride. As you are reading, you will find yourself cheering for all of them, praying they can work out their problems and be happy once again. You will also wonder how much heartache a family can stand before it completely breaks down and splits.

TWO WEEKS is a heart tugging story filled with grief, loneliness, heartbreak, and love that will hold you hostage until the very last page. Once I started this heartwarming story, it was very hard to put down! I really prayed that Cole would be able to convince Elise that she wasn’t damaged and deserved to be loved and cherished. Karen Kingsbury isn’t afraid to write about subjects out of the norm as far as the Christian Fiction genre goes. Oh, as a warning to the reader, keep the tissues handy and do not read the ending in a public place unless you don’t mind crying in front of strangers! I’m so excited to continue catching up on all of Karen Kingsbury’s previous books.
Two Weeks is the 5th book in The Baxter family series by Karen Kingsbury.
I always enjoy spending time with the Baxter family and have read every book in the series, I have loved them all. This one was no exception.
I was moved by the way she tackled sensitive topics such as teen pregnancy and adoption, and did so with eloquence and grace. I cried more than once.
As always there’s a reminder of how with Gods grace and forgiveness we can get through the darkest of hours.

Thank you Netgalley for an ARC.. which I voluntarily reviewed.

Don’t let the Baxter name keep you from reading the latest from Karen Kingsbury. Two Weeks is Elise Walker’s story. While Cole Blake, son of Landon and Ashley Baxter Blake, plays a pretty big role, this book is not a focus on the Baxter family and can be read as a stand-alone. If you haven’t read the 25+ Baxter books prior to this one, starting here will not be a problem.

Cole Blake is months away from graduating high school and going off to college. But as he starts his final semester he meets Elise, a girl who captures his attention from day one. Elise is the new girl in town and soon discovers she’s pregnant. As her and Cole grow close, she shares her secret with him. Undaunted by the news, and in love for the first time in his life, Cole is determined to support Elise.

Will Elise keep her baby or put it up for adoption? Readers are introduced to two other couples as Elise’s story plays out. What role will these couples play in this story? You’ll have to read Two Weeks to find out 

If you follow my reviews, you know Kingsbury is a fave. However, this book was not a favorite of mine, so let’s jump into what I liked and didn’t.

What I liked about Two Weeks were the messages I gathered from its pages. When it comes to Kingsbury books, the message(s) are ultimately what I’m after and they were delivered. 1- that everyone has a story and 2- you have to trust God’s timing. Your story will not match mine, but no matter the circumstances, God stands with us. We have to remember that during the hard times, especially when the answers we seek may not be the answers we desire.

Unfortunately, the things I didn’t like about Two Weeks outweigh those I did.
1.	Having never experienced anything that these characters had, I couldn’t completely feel or understand them. Karen usually manages to pull at my heart-strings, but I didn’t feel that emotional pull this time around.
2.	I would love to have seen the other couples mentioned explored further. I wanted more about the new characters and less Baxters (see #5).
3.	Too many mentions of Liberty University became off putting. I became pretty frustrated that Cole planning to attend LU when he graduated seemed to be mentioned every other page.
4.	Elise’s come to faith moment. I feel like I didn’t get the full faith transformation, as it felt glossed over and abrupt. I’m not saying that accepting Jesus into your life is hard, but that more attention paid here would have been appropriate.
5.	I’m experiencing Baxter family overload and would love to see a book full of completely new and fresh characters.

While I didn’t relate and feel the pull of this story, there are many out there who will. It may leave you sobbing for hours. I believe that life experiences play a huge role in how we respond to books. This review is my opinion and my opinion alone. While Karen will always remain a favorite, every book she writes will not be 5 stars, every book is not going to hit me straight through the heart. If we all loved and disliked the same things, the world would be a less interesting place. So, grab a copy of Two Weeks and dive in. I hope it hits you over the head with emotion!

My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with an advanced copy of this book.
It’s always a delight to spend time with the Baxter Family!  This book does include the wonderful Baxter’s, but can also be read as a stand alone. Kingsbury touches our hearts again with the story of a teen pregnancy and the tough choices made for all concerned.  Filled with spiritual wisdom, this book will leave a deep impact and hopefully fill your heart with a much deeper trust in God.
I loved this book. It made me cry; I was so moved.  I love that.  I have two kids close to Cole’s age so I felt the weightiness of the decisions he and Elise were making.  Even more I understood Ashley’s responses and marveled at Landon’s calm. Kingsbury books always tackle really hard things and do so in an authentic way not hiding from the consequences of sin or the harsh realities of life.
In this book, we experience the pain of infertility and disappointed dreams as well as  life-changing crisis pregnancies and more.   It’s a poignant story that affirms life and family.  It reminds us that we can’t control or plan our kids’ stories….God does that.
This book can be read as a stand-alone but there is a wealth of wonderful Baxter books.   I look forward to the next one as well as to the upcoming TV show about the Baxters.  Thank you to Howard Books for providing me with an e-copy of this book.  I was not required to leave a positive review.  All opinions are my own.
This was so good!!!  I love Karen Kingsbury. This is full of faith, love and family. Elise just wants to be a painter and just wants to go to college and nothing will stop her. Until she finds out she needs to make some very hard decisions.

Cole see Elise and has feelings for her. He wants to be there for her and help her any way he can!

I love the Baxter family!

Book given to me by author on netgalley
Wow! This was such a good book! It was definitely a tearjerker, like most of Karen Kingsbury's books are, but it was so worth reading!  Every time I read a book by her, I can't help but feel like her writing is without a doubt inspired by the Holy Spirit! I always feel closer to Jesus after reading one. That is one of Karen Kingsbury's gifts!  I would recommend this book to any woman who likes to read!
Oh how I love the Baxter family!  It's hard to believe that Cole is now old enough to be heading off to college.  Where has the time gone?  Two Weeks is an awesome read!  So many families with teens deal with these issues and Karen Kingsbury has done a great job with keeping it real with this book.  It was a quick read for me because I didn't want to put it down!