Where Secrets Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jan 2019

Totally gripped by this book from the very beginning. Compelling and engaging writing style and plenty of twists and turns in the plot itself. I liked the fact that although this is a series around DS Hart, plenty of the police team were given fleshed out characters,  which really added a different dimension to the plot. Looking forward to more from the author in the future!
Unfortunately I have not been able to download this book to my kindle after I requested it and so am unable to provide a review. Due to this I will rate it 3 stars because I am not able to submit a review without a rating.
I enjoyed the first book in this series, and I was excited to be able to read this one. While it was a decent mystery, it didn't hold me the way the first one did. I also found that I couldn't really connect with the characters. Worth the try, but not for me.
this book had me hooked from the very start. fantastic story line and lots of characters that you  feel like you know and their personal lives are wound into the story. a real who done it that kept the pages turning and the reader guessing every step of the way.
this author writes brilliantly and knows how to captivate her audience. will be reading all of the karen hart series
A gripping read. Starting with a decomposed body being found in the home of a man who has apparently had a fall, who is the corpse, and why is it in the home of a well respected ex teacher.  Brilliant!
Where Secrets Lie is a great thriller from D. S. Butler. I enjoyed this book and could not put it down. The writing was good and the characters are interesting.
Where Secrets Lie
by D.S. Butler
Amazon Publishing UK

Dectective Karen Heart Book 2
DS Heart is called to the scene where a man fell, or was pushed down the stairs. At the scene they find a suitcase with a badly decomposed body. Who is it, and how long has it been there ? This book explores some sad subjects in life, about abuse, it weaves a tale that will keep you turning pages way into the night. Her caracters are very well developed, and extremely interesting, the book will keep you on your toes. A great detective story!
This is book 2 of a series

Thank you to Netgalley  and Amazon Publishing UK for there ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion
Beverly E /LADYEDAN
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Having read and enjoyed the first book in the series, I had high hopes for this second book. It didn't disappoint but it seemed to move at a slower pace and the characters didn't feel as though they developed at all. The story itself was good with some twists and a satisfying resolution.
*4 Stars*

ARC kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Good characters in this book. Makes you wonder how people keep secrets for so long. If things we're truthful from the start, such consequences may not have happened. Makes you wonder about the type of people in the world.
Another great D.S.Butler book, would highly recommend
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.
A great novel following Detective Karen Hart as she investigates a murder. A high ranking police officer, a head teacher, a teacher, an affair between brother and sister in law all add spice to this great detective novel.
Lots of twists and turns! Could not put it down until I was finished.
Loved it!
This is the second book in the DS Karen Hart series, and boy, do they just get better or what.
Karen attends an innocent scene of an innocent old man who injured himself.  Then just before he leaves the house in an ambulance, he insists that they don't go to the second floor....
Obviously, like in the movies where you tell the woman not to go after the weird sound she hears, she just HAS to go upstairs and see what's been hidden away....
This sets the tone for a really thrilling read, and I couldn't wait to see how it ended !!
Highly recommended!!!!!
I quite enjoyed this book...it was fast paced with a believable storyline and characters that were real and relatable. There is a dual storyline going on in this book; what begins as a routine checkup call leads to a discovery related to a 30 year old cold case and while the police are trying to get this cold case solved, a series of current murders which could be connected to the said cold case, make things more tricky and difficult for DS Karen Hart and her team.

This is book two in the DS Karen Hart series and even though I haven't read the first book, I did not feel that I was missing out on much in terms of understanding the main characters background.

My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher Thomas & Mercer for providing me with an ARC.
An interesting prologue followed by a brilliant first chapter.
An emergency call to the police by a concerned neighbour leads to the police finding an old man at the foot of his stairs, injured from a fall (or was he pushed?) He is very insistent that NO-ONE goes upstairs. Drawn by natural human curiosity the two officers naturally go upstairs and what they discover behind a locked door (the key was in the lock in their defense) sets the scene for the rest of the book.
I get the initial idea that this book must form part of a series with set characters. There is an immediate camaraderie between them. The four police officers featuring heavily in the story; DI Morgan, Karen, Rick and Sophie have well-developed backgrounds and personalities too. (Upon finishing the book, I discovered it was part of a series, but this didn't affect the reading - you didn't need any prior information for things to make sense.)
The story flows smoothly and as more is flecked open you get more and more intrigued.
A brilliant, fast-paced read that leaves you guessing as to the identity of the murderer right up until almost the very end, where another surprising event reveals a bit more of past events.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the chance to read this book
Fantastic book very well written would highly recommend author done himself justice with this one my friends will love this and will be receiving it
When the police discovers the literal skeleton in the closet, they are faced with solving a 30 year old crime where all traces of evidence are long gone. But suddenly this cold case turns into a hot pursuit.

It is the second part of the 'Detective Karen Hart' series, and I enjoyed it just as I did the first one. But while Karen Hart was really at the heart of the investigation in the first book (true to the name of the series), here all four main members of the police force are in equal focus and share their personal problems with the reader. I found these (really small) subplots interesting and they gave the characters some depth, although it did slow down the suspense on the main plot. This murder case they have to solve is nothing nail-biting, but it kept me guessing how it all happened right until the very end.
Great suspense that will keep you guessing! I am looking forward to reading other books by this author.
In this second book of the series, Detective Sergeant Karen Hart and her team are challenged to solve a 30-year-old cold case of a badly decayed body of leathery skin and bones hidden away in a suitcase found in the home of Albert Johnson, an elderly widow.  In addition to the body, a note was found that read, “It’s time to pay for your crime.”

According to his neighbors, Mr. Johnson was a well-respected man, and had retired as headmaster of Greenhill Secondary School twenty years ago.  Their investigation leads them to a missing persons report from 1988 of 45-year-old Oliver Fox, a former colleague of Albert Johnson.  The team seeks to discover how Albert was involved.  Did he murder him?  Was it an accident?  Why was the death not reported?  As more murders take place, the team is pressed to dig deep to find a connection, if any.

This series is well written.  The characters are well-developed, and the reader is provided with insights into the personal lives of the investigative team.  I wish to thank NetGalley for the opportunity to read a pre-release of this story in exchange for an honest review.  I look forward to reading the next book by this talented author.
I have to say that I am a massive fan of books written by both D S Butler and Dani Oakley.  It’s an added bonus that she’s chosen to settle and write about somewhere close to my own heart, Lincolnshire.

In this the second book in the series we have a fast paced page-turner of a book. We are back with Detective Sergeant Karen Hart, Detective Inspector Scott Morgan along with Detective Constables Rick and Sophie. Learning more about their individual personal lives draws us in and makes them seem more human.

Wealthy James Hunter a website designer had been sober for two years when he slips and during a binge and in a drunken conversation he tells a friend a secret, a secret that gets him thrown off the balcony of his apartment.

After Bert Johnson’s neighbour discovers him in a heap at the bottom of the stairs she raises the alarm.  DS Hart and her gaffer DI Morgan break in to help and become suspicious of him as he is too insistent that no one goes up the stairs, not that there would normally be any need in such a case as this. DI Morgan goes up and finds a locked room door a suitcase, inside is the skeletal body of Oliver Fox who went missing in 1988 and a note saying ‘Its time to pay for your Crime’.

From beginning DS Hart has two cases to solve as a cold case this soon becomes anything but, we have rumours about Oliver and his predilection for young boys and that his brother, a senior ranking police officer had managed to conceal this information.  Every way they turn there seems to be something or rather someone obstructing them.

Read for an honest review.  Thanks to Amazon Publishing UK and Netgalley
What a fantastic follow up to book 1!  I loved this book it had me on the edge of my seat, I devoured it in one sitting as I couldn’t put it down.   I’m looking forward to book three in the series, can I have it now?  I was absolutely sucked into this book, hooked from page 1, I was totally invested in this book until it spat me out at the end.  Loved the storyline there were plenty of twists to keep me guessing and that ending!  Loved this book it was great, if I could give it more than 5 stars I would.   Giving this a big fat 5 stars.