Where Secrets Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jan 2019

I've grown fond of DS Karen Hart and think she's a good, down to earth police officer who'd be an asset to have on your side. The story is not particularly unique but gets good attention and should be resolved whatever the moral rights and wrongs may be. This all plays out briskly and for me, it is the relationships that Karen has with each member of the team that gives this book the edge over others of a similar nature. Certain situations are set up for our attention in future books, which is fine, as D S Butler has created a character in the police service that the average reader can actually relate to and invest in. I'll be reading more of this series.
*Many thanks to DS Butler, Amazon Pubishing UK and NetGalley for arc in exchange for my honest review.*
My first book with DS Karen Hart was an interesting read, and although I have not read Book 1, id did not spoil the pleasure of reading Book 2.
DS Hart beins the investigation of what appears to be an accidental fall from the stairs in which an elderly man suffers and in whose house a suitcase with an unexpected content is found. These two incidents lead to a rather complicated cold case which is solved thanks to good team work under Hart's supervision.
A good police procedural that makes me want to follow this series.
I listened to the audiobook of this. It was pretty awesome! The British Accent took a bit to get used to but the language itself would have been harder to read I think!

I started this one instantly after finishing Bring Them Home. I just needed more of DS Hart. This one was wow, maybe the secrets should have stayed buried? I never would have guessed what really happened, but not to worry, you will find out at the end.
This book, like the first one, did not disappoint. It has everything I look for in police procedurals. It was fast-paced, well-written, and takes us step-by-step through the investigation. I can't wait for the next book in this series!
This book was fast paced. Hard to put down. It flowed well and it was very well written. It caught hold of me and had me hooked from the start . I was literally on the edge of my seat reading this book.
A thrilling read which kept me turning the pages, characters you care for and just brilliantly written.  Great novel!!
Totally gripped by this book from the very beginning. Compelling and engaging writing style and plenty of twists and turns in the plot itself. I liked the fact that although this is a series around DS Hart, plenty of the police team were given fleshed out characters,  which really added a different dimension to the plot. Looking forward to more from the author in the future!
Unfortunately I have not been able to download this book to my kindle after I requested it and so am unable to provide a review. Due to this I will rate it 3 stars because I am not able to submit a review without a rating.
I enjoyed the first book in this series, and I was excited to be able to read this one. While it was a decent mystery, it didn't hold me the way the first one did. I also found that I couldn't really connect with the characters. Worth the try, but not for me.
this book had me hooked from the very start. fantastic story line and lots of characters that you  feel like you know and their personal lives are wound into the story. a real who done it that kept the pages turning and the reader guessing every step of the way.
this author writes brilliantly and knows how to captivate her audience. will be reading all of the karen hart series
A gripping read. Starting with a decomposed body being found in the home of a man who has apparently had a fall, who is the corpse, and why is it in the home of a well respected ex teacher.  Brilliant!
Where Secrets Lie is a great thriller from D. S. Butler. I enjoyed this book and could not put it down. The writing was good and the characters are interesting.
Where Secrets Lie
by D.S. Butler
Amazon Publishing UK

Dectective Karen Heart Book 2
DS Heart is called to the scene where a man fell, or was pushed down the stairs. At the scene they find a suitcase with a badly decomposed body. Who is it, and how long has it been there ? This book explores some sad subjects in life, about abuse, it weaves a tale that will keep you turning pages way into the night. Her caracters are very well developed, and extremely interesting, the book will keep you on your toes. A great detective story!
This is book 2 of a series

Thank you to Netgalley  and Amazon Publishing UK for there ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion
Beverly E /LADYEDAN
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Having read and enjoyed the first book in the series, I had high hopes for this second book. It didn't disappoint but it seemed to move at a slower pace and the characters didn't feel as though they developed at all. The story itself was good with some twists and a satisfying resolution.
*4 Stars*

ARC kindly received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Good characters in this book. Makes you wonder how people keep secrets for so long. If things we're truthful from the start, such consequences may not have happened. Makes you wonder about the type of people in the world.
Another great D.S.Butler book, would highly recommend
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in return for an honest review.
A great novel following Detective Karen Hart as she investigates a murder. A high ranking police officer, a head teacher, a teacher, an affair between brother and sister in law all add spice to this great detective novel.
Lots of twists and turns! Could not put it down until I was finished.
Loved it!
This is the second book in the DS Karen Hart series, and boy, do they just get better or what.
Karen attends an innocent scene of an innocent old man who injured himself.  Then just before he leaves the house in an ambulance, he insists that they don't go to the second floor....
Obviously, like in the movies where you tell the woman not to go after the weird sound she hears, she just HAS to go upstairs and see what's been hidden away....
This sets the tone for a really thrilling read, and I couldn't wait to see how it ended !!
Highly recommended!!!!!
I quite enjoyed this book...it was fast paced with a believable storyline and characters that were real and relatable. There is a dual storyline going on in this book; what begins as a routine checkup call leads to a discovery related to a 30 year old cold case and while the police are trying to get this cold case solved, a series of current murders which could be connected to the said cold case, make things more tricky and difficult for DS Karen Hart and her team.

This is book two in the DS Karen Hart series and even though I haven't read the first book, I did not feel that I was missing out on much in terms of understanding the main characters background.

My thanks to Netgalley, the author and publisher Thomas & Mercer for providing me with an ARC.
An interesting prologue followed by a brilliant first chapter.
An emergency call to the police by a concerned neighbour leads to the police finding an old man at the foot of his stairs, injured from a fall (or was he pushed?) He is very insistent that NO-ONE goes upstairs. Drawn by natural human curiosity the two officers naturally go upstairs and what they discover behind a locked door (the key was in the lock in their defense) sets the scene for the rest of the book.
I get the initial idea that this book must form part of a series with set characters. There is an immediate camaraderie between them. The four police officers featuring heavily in the story; DI Morgan, Karen, Rick and Sophie have well-developed backgrounds and personalities too. (Upon finishing the book, I discovered it was part of a series, but this didn't affect the reading - you didn't need any prior information for things to make sense.)
The story flows smoothly and as more is flecked open you get more and more intrigued.
A brilliant, fast-paced read that leaves you guessing as to the identity of the murderer right up until almost the very end, where another surprising event reveals a bit more of past events.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me the chance to read this book