An Ocean Between Us

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jan 2019

It is 1943 & Europe is in the middle of WW2. Ireland is neutral but the troubles with Britain are still very much alive in the minds of many Irish people. Eighteen year old Aileen Sweeney longs to spread her wings. When she meets Irish soldier Niall she initially thinks him too brash but his persistence wins her round. He seems to get on well with her large family too. There appears to be a wedding in sight until Niall & his mates decide to join the British Army to fight in the war. To Aileen's family this is a betrayal of Niall's heritage. To the men of the family he is a traitor & Aileen is forbidden to see him again.

I loved this story and the characters.

Thank you to NetGalley, Rachel Quinn and Lake Union Press for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
For some reason I had trouble downloading this book-sorry for the lack of feedback! I'm not sure what happened.
Fascinating insight into Ireland's often overlooked wartime role, which really give the plot a unique dimension. Loved the characters and the storytelling, brilliant writing. I hope to read a lot more of Rachel Quinn's historical novels as this one was a blinder. If like me, you love wartime historical novels, you'll love this one!
It is 1943 and the world is at war.  In a small town in IrelandAileen Sweeney and Niall O'Rourke meet at a dance.  She was 18 at the time and he was a soldier.  And like the world at war, theirs was an instant explosion of love.  Yet, not long after their promise to commit to one another, they were rocked  with a decision testing their love and commitment to one another. He had joined the British army.  Called a traitor to Ireland  by Aileen's father, he was no longer welcome to their house, Aileen was no longer allowed to see him.  Could they survive that decision  that set them apart, from Niall being a suitor one day to becoming far removed from Aileen and her family?  This was the core of the entire book!

For me, after reading many historical books about Ireland, this one was less than stellar.  With no substance behind it, I found it too simplistic.  I finished it, not because I liked it, but because I felt I owed the publisher and NetGalley something for requesting it.  Therefore, I will give my thanks to NetGalley and Lake Union Press for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I was given a copy of this book by the publisher for an honest review. This is the first book I have read by Rachel Quinn. The story is set during The second world war. It set in southern Ireland and tells the story of Aileen. She is 18 when she meets Niall who joins the British Army. Aileen family disapprove and make it difficult for them to be together. I liked the characters, Aileen was very likeable. I enjoyed the book as it was well written. Perfect for fans of family dramas and historical fiction.
A book set in World War 2 and based in Ireland. It was enjoyable and an easy read. It was interesting to read more about the emotions of the time about Irish soldiers joining the British army & how they were treated. It was not a heavy or serious read by any means though.
I rather liked the cover, which initially drew my attention to this book.  I very much enjoyed this story and do hope to read more by this author.  Very well written and do recommend.
I got an early review copy of this book from netgalley because it was in the historical fiction category. While it does take place in WWII Ireland, this is really just a poorly written historical romance, with the emphasis on the romance. Aileen lives in a small town in Wicklow County with her many siblings and parents. She falls in love with Niall, an Irishman who is considered a deserter for joining the British army during WWII. Drama ensues. Meanwhile, Aileen also meets Marvin, an American in the navy, who is also vying for her affections.

This book was hokey and corny. The writing rambling, especially with characters going on and on about really nothing. The romance was not believable and the characters were two-dimensional. Finally, the ending was rather predictable. While I often like many historical fiction books published by Lake Union, this was not one of them. There needed to be more substance and nuance - and a better story too.
Light reading, has a good story to tell but I found it too wordy. Many times I had to pass pages in the book because there was too much that didn’t need to be there. Almost as though there were pages written to fill the book.
Loved it.
I love a good historical read and this one didn't disappoint me.
I love how the author described the war through out the eyes of irish people. I enjoyed it very much and I recommend it for people who like a good historical books that take places in the war. I was always fascinated about how people lived back then in that periodof time and I really enjoy reading those kind of books. Thank you netgalley and the publisher giving me a chance to read this book.

Parts of the book are told from 4o years in the future when Aileen is happily married & living in New York although we do not know who she has married!

I enjoyed this book. The character's were engaging & it shone a light on how the people of Ireland viewed the war.

Thanks to Netgalley & the publisher for letting me read & review this book.
It was an interesting read especially with the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day Landings due on June 6th 2019. Coincidentally, while reading the novel, there was a reference in the media about the inaccurate design of the commemorative stamp for the occasion. Initially, I found the style rambling with clunky, inconsequential and silly dialogue but the momentum of the plot gathered eventually. I didn't think it put the Irish in a good light and was shocked at the bigoted attitude displayed towards Niall especially from Aileen's ignorant, bullying family. I didn't take to Aileen. I found her immature, selfish, abrasive and downright rude especially to the GI, Marvin. Briana had the nicer nature of the two girls. I would have liked Niall's war experience to have been more fleshed out. It was the most auspicious and complex operation, of WW2 but the drama of it fell flat and only seemed to be a vague backcloth for the Irish bigotry. It was a missed opportunity. I enjoyed parts of the book. Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK.
If you're looking for historical fiction with a protagonist that will steal your heart with her outspokenness and bravery then this is the book for you. I never knew or thought about Ireland's involvement in WW2 until this book brought it to my attention. This book reminded me of what I love about historical fiction. We get to see and feel history through someone's perspective. We get to see what that era truly cost someone and we are better able to relate because we get to see our characters, the ones we have gotten to know, through these events. I think its my favorite way of learning about history and then it opens up my curiosity to go learn more about this period. This book certainly did that. I truly recommend it.
The author did a brilliant job of capturing the time period in this novel.  The characters and plot were also well written.  This was a great piece of historical fiction!
Reviewing for NetGalley

This is an amazing book set in Irland in the 1940’s it’ not one of my usual reads but none the less I found it hard to put down. I could help but be drawn into this love story.
I thoroughly liked this story of a young Irish girl Aileen, who fell in love with an Irish soldier, Niall who went to fight with the British and was thus shunned by many people in Ireland during World War II . Aileen vows to wait for Niall even though her parents will have nothing to do with him because of his decision, to fight with England.
Through her sister Brianna, she is able to still meet up with Niall, both before and after he returns. Great characters and an interesting look at Ireland's stance on the war . The author gives us an in depth, look of what it is like for all of these characters as they go about their lives, waiting to be reunited or not.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Lake Union Publishing for the ARC of this book.
This is a great book about world war two and the effect it had on the Irish men who fought in it.  It is a beautifully written love story as well.The author does a very good job of intersecting the past with the present.  I hope to read more by this author.
Thanks Net Galley for my copy!
A gorgeous love story of Aileen and Niall. Set in country Ireland in the Second World War, it shows the hardships that people had to face and the tough decisions that had to be made.
A moving story that had you guessing right till the end in New York!
Beautifully written.
An Ocean Between Us by Rachel Quinn. Do you like historical romance. Read An Ocean Between Us. Rachel Quinn is a new author for me.
I am so glad I read this book. I had no idea how harshly the Irish soldiers who fought in the British army were treated when they returned to Ireland. The whole book is an interesting read. Love shines through everything in this story. It is beautifully written and I would definitely recommend reading it.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy.