Courting Mr. Emerson

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Apr 2019

Loved this book!

Unfortunately I cannot share review here because I reviewed for Hope by the Book. Please visit hopebythebook.com for more information.
I love Melody's books. They are always so unique and funny. I wasn't sure what I'd gotten myself into when the book opened with Mr. Emerson getting ready to retire from his teaching job. Since retirement seems to be closer to the end of a story than the beginning, I was intrigued!

George Carson has spent his life living in his same old routine. He doesn't like change, and he prefers to be left alone. But when he meets Willow West all of that changes. Willow is a free spirit, an artist who loves color and life and adventure.

Although neither of them can understand, they are continually drawn together. They learn from each other, and George finds himself changing. Their adventures are funny and heartfelt. This story is built on the old adage that opposites attract, and Melody does a great job showing two people coming together despite differences.

I really enjoyed this story, even though I wasn't sure about it at first. My only issue was with the depictions of God and Christianity. Too many people have been led to believe that God is in everything and speaks to us in many things--including soft rock music from the 60s--and that just isn't true. I did love the message that God pursues us, even when we think we don't want Him, I just disagreed with the way it was presented. I wasn't so offended that I didn't enjoy this story. It was so different and unique and I do recommend it for a change in your regular reading!
George Emerson is just starting retirement. He’s been living the same life for the past 30 years and the school he’s been with has changed so much, George has decided that its time to retire. But before he can even get out of the school Wild Willow West breezes into his life. Well… Wild Willow West is more like a wind storm to George.

Willow West is wanting someone to help write a letter of recommendation for her grandson Colin. Colin has mentioned the Mr. Emerson is one of his favorite teachers. When Willow West meets George Emerson she finds that he is a very peculiar and quirky individual and is in need of a emotional and mental ‘face lift.’

As Willow pushes her way into George’s life, although not intentional, George finds himself and notices he is a creature of habit and feels he does need to try new things. George soon becomes a mentor to Colin and helps him with his college options. However when Colin’s estranged mother shows back up after 18 years, after a hard break up, will it become too overwhelming for George to keep up the friendship with Willow and her ‘wild’ family? You will have to check out the book for yourself.

This book was a great read. It was funny and makes the reader laugh out loud. Although it was a Christian novel, it did not push the envelope too hard, so I recommend this as a clean novel and a good heart felt adult read. I want to also mention that I received the book from the publisher and was under no obligation to post a review that was in favor or not in favor of the book. I just read them for fun so you guys can get a chance to hear about great books.
What a wonderful and lovely read!

When the fun-loving and spontaneous artist Willow West meets guarded and retired English teacher George Emerson, it's not exactly love at first sight, however, she finds the obsessive-compulsive man intriguing. Making it her mission to get him to loosen up and embrace life, she embarks on what seems like a lost cause and finds herself falling for him in the process.

A confirmed bachelor, George vacillates between irritation and attraction whenever Willow is around, which to him seems like all too often. He's not interested in expanding his horizons or making new friends; it just hurts too much when you lose them. As the summer progresses, George feels his defences crumbling. The question is, will his change of heart be too late for Willow?

I loved this book and everything about it made it an engrossing story. It was fun and light-hearted with eccentric characters and the gentle unfolding of the story was humorous and believable. I enjoyed the writing style of Melody Carlson in this fabulous tale of kindness, hope and emotion. With its engaging dialogue, this beautifully crafted, insightful and witty romance was well worth reading  Highly recommended as a five star read for those who delight in reading inspirational romance.

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel at my own request from Revell via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
It was refreshing to read this book because it has such quirky, but lovable, characters.  I loved George Emerson in this story.  He’s a newly retired high school teacher who has lived almost every single day of his life on a schedule of some sort, and does not see any reason to change that.  He has a little bit of OCD going on, too, and that just adds interest to his story.  He’s faced quite a bit of heartache in his life, and sees no reason to step outside the boundaries he’s set for himself.    But that changes when Willow, a reformed former hippie, enters his life.  Willow is now a responsible citizen who owns her own art gallery and loves helping others.  When George and Willow team together to help Willow’s grandson, Colin, George realizes that that Willow has become very special to him.  Their road to romance is a delightful one and kept me laughing in the lighter moments and sighing as George finally has to face his fears.  I don’t think there’s a sequel to this book, but I’d love to read another story about George and Willow.

I am going to mention this since this book does have a Christian fiction label: About midway through the book, George and Willow have a discussion about God.  At this point in the story, George thinks that he might be an atheist.  Willow is a believer and tells George about her belief in God.  There’s a confusing statement that Willow makes about not understanding the Old Testament. I could never quite decide as to her view of scripture, if she believed the Bible literally or not.  It’s a brief conversation, and the rest of the book follows George’s spiritual journey.  Since I believe that every word in the Bible is inspired, I wondered about that statement.  It was ambiguous, so I’ll let you as a reader decide what you think.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.
This quirky romance, is not really a romance as much as a tale of two people falling in love despite the determination of one to not go there.

I loved that this story was not about young people, but explored life and what it could be between two people with totally different lifestyles.  I enjoyed the storyline with the family dynamics.

Don't read this book if you are just looking for a cute story with no depth. This story hides the depth between still surfaces. I loved it!

I obtained this book from the publisher and NetGalley. My opinions contained herein are my own.
A beautiful story.  Courting Mr. Emerson is an interesting book.  I would recommend this book to everyone.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by the publisher with no expectations but that I offer my honest opinion. All thoughts expressed are my own.
I loved this delightfully charming book.  The "older" characters are a wonderful change from most fiction. I loved the characters and the story grabbed my heart from the first word.  This is the best book I have read in a  long time.    Don't miss this one! Thank you netgalley  for gifting me an arc if this wonderful story.  I was not required to write a positive review but this  is my honest opinion
"Courting Mr. Emerson" is the latest novel from Melody Carlson and it is another excellent read from her!  This is unlike some of her other novels and different from many other romance novels as the main characters are older, and in different stages of life.  George is facing retirement with mixed feelings.  He has lived his life his own way, simple and following the same routine and lifestyle each day.  His life takes a sudden change the moment Willow West breezes into his classroom during the last few days of the school year requesting he to write a letter of recommendation for her grandson whom she has custody of.  George finds himself caught up in this whirlwind named Willow and her life that is so different from his own.  Willow lives her life large and full of color and she does not hold back but shares her heart with all whom she comes into contact with, including George.  Willow has made mistakes in her life in the past, but she is managing her own art gallery, has raised her grandson and now is given another chance to connect with her daughter and work on that relationship.  As George and Willow's lives intersect throughout this summer, change and growth results in both of their lives and their relationship with each other and with others.
 George and Willow are both such great characters, different in so many ways, but also alike in ways as they are both searching for things in their lives and really finding that peace that has been lacking and leaving a void.  Collin and Josie are both characters whom I loved as well, and I loved how things weren't glossed over in their relationship, but that they had to put in time and effort in order to build a relationship.  The home projects and renovations place a big role in the book and symbolize the changes that the characters make within themselves and in their homes as well.  I really enjoyed this book and all the many layers to it and to their characters.  I was not ready for the book to end, as the ending is really a new beginning and I would love to read more and spend more time with these characters and where their lives may take them now.
I have a tradition of reading a Melody Carson book each Christmas season. I love her feel good stories that ring true with challenges for her characters. This new book takes the reader to the end of the school year. Mr. Emerson is quite the bump on a log character who has gotten too used to his regimented daily life as a school teacher. Being thrust into retirement and meeting the new female art gallery owner in town puts his world immediately off kilter. He also has women, including his neighbor, Lorna, paying him attention even though he is a fifty-five year old stuck in his bachelor ways. The artist and gallery owner, Willow, is as colorful as an abstract painting. The widow has raised her grandson who is about to head to college and leave her with an empty nest.
This is an excellent and classic Carlson book. It is laced with humor, marking realistic changes in life for it's characters. From teenage angst to retirement blues the story flows as Mr.Emerson discovers who he can be and who is courting him.
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book. I wonder if the story is going to continue. It would make for a nice series.
Courting Mr. Emerson is one of the most delightful books that I have had the pleasure of reading this year.  I absolutely adored George Emerson the retired English teacher. As a matter of fact he is one of my all time favorite male characters.
He's a loner and socially awkward so when he meets artist Willow West his world is about to be shaken up.  Willow is an artist and outgoing so she managed to introduce George to a few new experiences that had me laughing  out loud.  There were times that I could imagine the discomfort George felt and that made me feel bad for him.

I loved Collin the young grandson of Willow and who in my opinion seemed more mature than his mother.  The one character who I viewed negatively at first was Lorna, George's neighbor but I found myself liking her as the story progressed.  The relationships in this book are complicated but they genuinely care for each other so I appreciated that aspect of the storyline.

This is a fast and enjoyable read that will have you smiling and if you're like me, perhaps even laughing loud a time or two.  This is a book that I will definitely read again at some point and one I highly recommend.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher and was not required to write a review.  All opinions are my own.
Readers of a certain age will have no difficulty identifying with Mr Emerson, & his memories of ‘the dark ages’ – which really don’t seem all that long ago... It makes a nice change to be reading about people of the same generation, & somehow I am recognising parts of myself in both the main characters – despite them being polar opposites! I am so loving this book, I don’t know when I last enjoyed reading one so much : I have a big smile on my face the whole time! Only trouble is that I am acutely aware that the number of pages left is rapidly diminishing...& I really don’t want it to finish so I may have to force myself to take a break – so I will still have something to look forward to.    I don’t want to spoil this for future readers by disclosing the story, suffice to say that anyone who remembers high school back in the seventies will be the right age for this story.                                                                                                     PS – Now that I have finished the book, I am really not at all like either character – nor did I remain smiling throughout....although I definitely still loved the book! It is immensely relatable, & I can thoroughly recommend it.
Courting Mr Emerson is the newest release by Melody Carlson. I found this romance to be a little different than most I often read with the characters being in their fifties instead of twenties or thirties. I found it to be unique, refreshing and realistic. However, the story was a little slow at times and I found myself wanting to skim over a page or two. There were some fun and sweet scenes that made me giggle, though.
I am giving Courting Mr Emerson three stars.
I received this book from the publisher. This review is 100% my own honest opinion.
This is a delightful contemporary romance!

I love Willow West. She is a very friendly and outgoing person. She has a huge job on her hands with trying to get various people that have extremely different personalities to get along with each other. Most of the characters in this book have quirks that I was able to quickly identify someone in my life that they reminded me of. The biggest problem is getting them to get along, in relationship, with each other.

I was captivated by the story of how Willow handled it and yet found space for herself. She is very open about her relationship with God yet she isn’t preachy about it. This is a major plus in my mind.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All of the opinions expressed are my own.
This is a wonderfully sweet romance.  This centers abound Mr. Emerson and Willow.  These two characters are complete opposites who keep running into each other and when they try to get closer they cause something to go wrong.  This will make you laugh and cry.  I just kept rooting for Mr. Emerson to become less rigid.  I really enjoyed this book.  I received a copy of this book from Revell for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
This book completely charmed me. I adored the character of George, I just want to give him a huge hug and adopt him!!! This was a sweet easy read with a lot of heart packed into its pages. I identified a lot with Willow, although I am not quite the free spirit she is, I could see myself trying just as hard to bring George out of his shell. The character of Josie was a great element to the plot of the story and I enjoyed seeing her growth in the book as well as George’s. This story just had a comforting feel to it, that I can’t quite explain, but I truly loved this book. Lovely characters and a sweet plot make this a 5 star read for me and this book has a place on my keeper shelf!

I received this book through the Revell Reads program and was not required to post a positive review. All thoughts are my own.
I adored this sweet, endearing read. With two main characters who are more experienced in life than the average leads in romance, Melody Carlson proves love can bloom at any age.

Finicky, prickly, set-in-his-ways George Emerson is oddly lovable with his stable routines and old-fashioned wardrobe and sensibilities. Willow West is an excellent contrast as she befriends and challenges him. Even the supporting characters from George’s neighbor to Willow’s family and employees add depth to the story.

This story is a beautiful example of one of the many ways God pursues his children. Sometimes it’s the quiet, steadfast presence that shows nothing can severe our relationship with him. There’s no limit to the number of times we mess up or the number of apologies we must make, God remains faithful.

For anyone who feels stuck in the routines of their life, has given up on finding love, or just wants a sweet and moving story, Courting Mr. Emerson will leave you a bit wrung out but uplifted and hopeful for what’s to come.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
George Emerson likes everything done to a strict routine, he feels that most people have let themselves go, not making an effort to dress smartly and spending all their time on new fangled gadgets. His world is turned upside down on meeting Willow West who is the complete opposite but somehow has a strange attraction. I enjoyed reading this book, nice heartwarming story. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This was such a sweet read!  I can relate to Willow West on so many different levels.  We're square pegs that don't fit in round holes and wouldn't want to fit to start with!  Her daughter Josie reminds me of my young adult daughter.  We have similar struggles and like Willow, I'm trying to be a positive influence and encourager, not an enabler.  Mr. Emerson is at a tough point in life facing retirement, but with Willow's persistence, he turns it all around and sees things in a different light.  I thoroughly enjoyed this book and look forward to Melody Carlson's next book.  She is absolutely one of my go-to authors.  She never disappoints me, whether it's historical or modern contemporary works!
This was such a sweet and easy-going story and I had a fun time reading it! Melody Carlson did a great job with the characters and the story. It centers on Willow and George, two very different people who find themselves drawing closer despite many disagreements and obstacles. Willow is free spirited and open and friendly and has a strong faith. George is reserved and slightly obsessive and considers himself an atheist. When the two meet at the high school, where he has taught Willow’s grandson, an adventure starts that will lead them both closer together and closer to God. I would recommend this book for people who enjoy heart warming stories of love and faith! I received a free copy of this story from NetGalley for my honest review. All opinions are my own.