Best Women's Erotica of the Year Volume 4

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Jan 2019

I could not finish this. There was no spark in most if the stories. Though the build up to some stores was exciting , it did not work as erotica. Writing was almost rushed at some places
Well written stories that are sexy and thought provoking. Real life characters enjoying their sexuality. Well worth the time.
Great read. Couldn’t put this book down. There were many stories from authors I have not read. I highly recommend this read
I don’t know about the rest of you, but last fall I was having a hard time concentrating enough to sit down and read. Even during the Holiday season, I just didn’t feel like it. So, when I saw this book on NetGalley, I immediately requested it for the basic format alone – lots of short stories by some authors I love and others that would be new to me. I was thrilled to receive an ARC in exchange for an honest review. And, honestly, I loved it.

As I said, the main appeal was the short story format. I could easily read one or two stories at night before bed or while sitting in the carpool line. They’re the perfect length to hold your attention, but not worry about where you left off if you can only read for a few minutes at a time. A few of the authors (Suleikha Snyder, Alyssa Cole, ) were once I’ve read before, while others (Jo Henny Wolf, Jocelyn Dex, Megan Hart) had been on my radar of authors I wanted to read. So, YAY!

The theme for this book is “outsiders” and that totally fits. Be sure to read the introduction at the beginning of the book so you really get a deeper connection to each of the stories. I also adored that the characters are incredibly inclusive of skin color, body time, sexual orientation, body type, age, and even humanity. There is a wide range of kink level, as well as a glimpse into lifestyles that I for one hadn’t previously read. In general, I think every reader will find something that really speaks to them and suits their fancy.

And, while I enjoyed the entire book, I would like to give special shout outs to a few of my favorite stories and why:
The Dressing Room by Alessandra Torre – I think this is one of those stories that will linger because we’ve all been in a similar situation of overhearing private conversations in a dressing room. This one answers the question of “What if” you were overhearing a illicit liaison in a dressing room. And I know I will certainly be thinking about this story and on the lookout the next time I go to try on clothes.

On Display by Louise Lagris – I liked this one for two reason, most of all that it uses pegging and that it talks about givers, takers, and switches. Thank you for calling a spade a spade and giving good examples of couples in (reasonably) healthy relationships exploring kink together.

The Pick-me-up by Suleikha Snyder – Thank you for depicting a one-night-stand without shame or regret. Sometimes, it’s just about two people not being alone in this world, even if it’s for a sort time, and that’s ok, too.

Aftershock by Jo Henny Wolf – I had friends living in Mexico City during the 2017 Earthquake, so I appreciated the contrasts this story provided: A foreigner in a strange land who doesn’t speak the language, finding peace among chaos, and taking the aftermath of an horrific tragedy and building something beautiful.

The Invitation by Regina Kammer – Hooray for Historical Erotica! Just on the general principle, I loved this story. The world needs a good reminder that our generations haven’t discovered anything new about sex that didn’t already exist in another time and place.

Seven Sweets and Seven Sours by Megan Hart – This is another story that gets a HOORAY just on principle. The world NEEDS more Amish Erotica.
I love reading Erotica anthologies, my favorite publisher for them is Cleis Press and if Rachel Kramer Bussel is editor, well...instant buy here, because I love reading Ms. Kramer Bussel's work.  But my idea of heaven? Give me that book and in exchange, ask me to tell you what I think about it.

Twenty stories (some by a few authors that I love or even recognize, the rest new to me but after finishing, I will admit that all deserve the space that they were given), a variety of tastes, something for nearly everyone. My only complaint?  There was NO story from Rachel Kramer Bussel, a pity.

My favorites were: Take the Shot, The Dressing Room, The Jump and Essential Qualities.

I would definitely recommend to lovers of Erotica anthologies.

📖I received an uncorrected proof from Netgalley and Cleis Press in exchange for my honest review📚

#Bestwomenserotica #NetGalley
The Best Women's Erotica of the Year is a strong collection of erotica tales told through the viewpoint of a woman but the truth is that it isn't the best the genre has to offer. It is, if anything just barely scratching the surface of how well diverse this genre really. No the stories here are not the best, they are if anything, appetizers of what the literary world has to offer.
This collection is so many things - smart and funny and surprising and curious and uncomfortable and human. There's sex - and the sexual - but there's something so much more, a way to show humanity and nuance in a short space. A truly enjoyable collection, exciting to read and hard to stop thinking about.
A nice collection of erotic stories from old favorites and a bunch of new-to-me authors. I admit I loved some more than others, and a few of the kinks aren't *my* kinks, but I still had a good time exploring them via a fictional world.
Great mix of authors and there different styles. This really was some of the best erotica of the year.
This was OK, it definitely wasn't the best erotic fiction I've read. I have to admit I prefer longer stories, but these most of these had no real substance to them which was unfortunate because I love the idea of this being an anthology that covered all sexual persuasions. While there were a few good ones I was overall disappointed in this anthology.

Thanks to NetGalley and Cleis press for a copy in return for an honest review.
Thank you to NetGalley for a Kindle ARC of the Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 4.

Compared to previous collections of erotica I've read edited by the same editor, this volume was weak.

I know its difficult to include character development and plot in a short story but I felt most of the authors didn't even bother trying to write a semi-interesting story.

The stories felt abrupt and lacked cohesiveness, as if each author just threw a couple of people together and placed them in a sexy, steamy scene with no rhyme or reason.

Some of the sexy scenes were enjoyable and pleasurable to read and I appreciated how different genders and sexualities are represented here; there is a little something for everyone here.

But the stories lacked substance and all the dirty scenes began to blur together; this was the weakest compilation of stories I've read so far.
This book was ok, but I prefer longer stories as a rule.

These felt a little rushed to get to the climax (pun intended). Just as I was getting into the story, it was all over, literally! They were all right when I only had a short amount of time for reading, but didn't really have any new ideas etc in them.
I really enjoyed this Anthology of stories. There was something for everyone.

There were plenty of new-to-me authors in this one and I found some new ones to follow. The heat level is different in each story but each still felt "erotic". A genre I really enjoy. Great compilation.
Great stories that are quick reads just when you need them. I enjoy readin* erotica because it’s usually far removed from my usual life. This collection does not disappoint.
Oh my good gracious! Sexy, steamy, and hot! These stories will melt the pages and get you fired up!!!
Best Women's Erotica of the Year is the fourth volume of a collection of erotic short stories organised by editor Rachel Kramer Bussel. For the first time, there is a theme to all the stories, “Outsiders and Risk.” This collection celebrates those who are different rather than ostracize them. This book has something to satisfy all readers tastes from same/sex relationships, bdsm, menage, to “normal” encounters.
I received an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review. My thoughts and opinions are my own.
I will start off by saying I am a happily married woman. I was looking for some sex ideas to use with my husband with his permission. I thought since there was supposed to be stories in here for every taste I would find some good ideas. Well not really for me. In the book description it described what some of the short stories were about, so I thought I would just skip the stories of stuff I was not into, but many stories I couldn't tell what the stories appeal was until I had read more than I wanted to. Even the more conservative stories in my opinion (heterosexual and one on one) were still between total strangers or people with no previous relationship. This made me sad that a book on sex didn't think good or hot sex can happen between married couples or people already in a relationship. So while some stories were inteeresting none were the inspiration I was looking for.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of BWEOTYV4 (from NetGalley).  All thoughts and opinions are my own.

This was not the best collection of its kind that I have read.  Although I appreciate the idea of a theme, I guess this one just did not produce narratives that were all that interesting to me.   The outsider theme may apply more to individuals in those specific areas, but I did not find that I could relate to very many of these short stories.  It could also be that the intended audience is not clearly identified...I understood the title to mean that it would interest most women.  Now I am wondering if it simply meant  that the authors were all women.  ?  Not sure.  Maybe I would appreciate the first three more.  I will look them up!

Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC!
Best Women's Erotica of the Year, Volume 4 is part of a series of short-story collections released every year. A multitude of stories are submitted by a variety of authors for consideration and 20 made the cut. Writer and editor, Rachel Kramer Bussel has organized a wide range of erotic romance pieces into this anthology that are sure to speak to a variety of readers. According to the book's introduction, this is the first time that an official theme has been showcased in this series. The theme is “Outsiders and Risk”. Rachel Kramer Bussel writes that current events in the world make these 2 elements incredibly relevant. She wanted characters who may be considered as “outsiders” to be celebrated in this anthology instead of ostracized. The characters in this collection are trying things that are new to them and taking control of their own sexuality: embracing sexual fluidity, exploring kinks and fetishes, taking full advantage of unexpected opportunities. They are taking risks despite the fear, pushing past boundaries set by themselves and others, confronting the unfamiliar and finding self-acceptance, trust and healing in the process. Written by women, about women, and for women, this book has something to satisfy everyone. A few of the pieces were a bit over the top for me personally but I enjoyed much of the book. My favorites might not be your favorites, and the diverse range is the beauty of this collection. Highly erotic with plenty of substance. Check it out.

Thank you to the following for permitting me access to an advance reader's copy (ARC) of Best Women's Erotica of the Year Volume 4. This generosity did not impact my honesty when rating/reviewing.
Source: NetGalley
Author: Rachel Kramer Bussel
Publisher: Cleis Press
Genres: Erotica, Romance
Pub Date: December 11, 2018
Scorching hot shorts that were hard to put down. I loved that they were straight to the point with no preamble that left you wanting more