The Water Tower Club

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Apr 2019

DNF at 34%
Content so far includes depictions of child sexual abuse, gun violence and physical assault with a weapon

I was really looking forward to reading this book, because I tend do enjoy stories where the main character has to go back to his home town for one reason or another and while being there, has to deal with ghosts from his past. At around 30% those ghosts slowly start to appear after hinting at some scarring experiences, but I'm sorry to say that I just couldn't get into the writing style which is of course soley based on my own very subjective reading experience and taste.

Overall I would describe the prose as straightforwardly simple, something that works quite well for a story set in a small rundown town with characters who like to deal with their own businesses behind closed doors. Unfortunately my reading flow was regularly disrupted by these extravagant, wordy passages or words I even had to look up - the latter of which usually isn't that big a deal, because English isn't my first language and there are a lot of words I do not know yet, but in this case it just felt somewhat contrived; like simple words have been exchanged with synonyms in order to make it sound more sophisticated, if that makes sense?

A couple of passages that immediately took me out of the story:
- But as I stood upon the promontory of a failed childhood, peering through the telescope of time, I glimpsed my future, and what I saw was that if I stayed in Grotin my life was destined for deposit on the scrapheap of personal destruction.
- I desired to avoid this very thing, here I was being pulled back into a drama from which I had willingly withdrawn. And now I was about to cross swords with another player from my past.
- Without my conscious participation, they performed a military-style about-face and headed for the lighted OPEN sign across the street.

A couple of references about women that rubbed me the wrong way:
- The remainder of her past she glossed over the way women hide ugly toenails with bright-red nail polish.
- Hers was an unaffected allure accentuated by her crop-cut hairstyle, unplucked eyebrows, and want of makeup.

And a couple of other things I highlighted, mostly because I didn't understand what the author wanted to express exactly:
- The receptionist, answered in a voice with just the right amount of honey in it.
- I'd feel it deep inside me, the way a woman knows she's just conceived.
- In temperament, she was a human version of a cross between a golden retriever and a pit bull—an indomitable combination.
- Her face became an emoji of woe.

I obviously didn't finish this book, therefore I can't say if the story itself would have been worthwhile. What I can say though is, that so far "The Water Tower Club" received overly positive reviews here on Goodreads, so maybe I'm just the odd one out - once again.
Darryl Coombs is heading back to the small town he ran away from 10 years ago. What could possibly bring him back to the place he has done everything to forget? His younger sister Libby has been arrested for attempted murder.
The storyline is easy to follow and the characters are mostly likeable. Some parts of the book are a bit frustrating or not what I felt they should be. A big one for me was the relationship between Darryl and Libby for two people who haven’t seen each other in 10 years I didn’t find the ease of their relationship as believable as real life.
This book has a lot of heavy topics that the writer incorporates fairly well. I always like a story about a small town that is full of corruption and criminals. Definitely recommend.
New author for me but pleasantly surprised. Thank you for the approval and look forward to a book relationship with other reads in the future,
The main character does a good job of portraying his desire to flee from where he came from and his past only do be drawn back by family.  I think a lot of people will be able to relate to that premise.  Wanting to break away from the past and create a new life for yourself only to realize that the past always has a hold on you.
I really enjoyed this book, The Water Tower Club by B K Mayo. I was not sure what to expect but it was super easy to read. I kept waiting to see the connection to the title and it finally showed itself then returned again towards the end. The story starts with Darryl getting a call from his mum to say his little sister has been arrested for murder. The story unfolds with Darryl trying to help his sister who would not talk about why she did what she did. I was just as frustrated as Darryl when she wailed not talk about the incident. Going back to his home town brings back a world of memories that Darryl would rather have not thought about and his home coming was not very welcoming. Well not too long in I was hooked and had to keep reading at a fast pace (when work did not get in the way) to finish. The story has a few twists and turns as you find out what has happened along with a few surprises. The ending is so not what I expected, even if it seemed a little far fetched but I would be interested in reading a sequel to see if Darryl does end up meeting up with Charlotte/Susan. Overall I thought it was a good book and would recommend. Thanks to NetGalley, Fir Valley Press and B K Mayo for giving me a copy of this novel to read and review.
This is a story of abuse and secrets in a small town where everyone one knows everything but keeps it to themselves until the unexpected attempted murder drawing the brother of the murderer home to save his sister.    The writing is okay but  some passages are over the top. I keep reading to the end but wasn’t  completely satisfied  with the story.
Darryl Combs left his hometown after high school and hasn’t looked back since. Until now. His mother calls him frantically telling him that his baby sister has been put in jail for murder. Murder of one of the boys that Darryl went to school, one of the reasons he wanted to escape. He knows the way the town is and operates. What he doesn’t know is why his sister would hurt anyone. And from the sounds of it, there was no motive. After deciding he must go back home to his hometown, he sets off on a journey to uncover the truth and, along the way, get some closure on his own past.  Decent thriller without blood and gore. If you stick with it until the end, you will be happy you did.
The Water Tower Club is a wonderfully written novel full of emotion, redemption, and resolution. Even though the description clearly lays his out as an adult book, I felt like I should be reading a Young Adult type of novel from the cover and the interior chapter head decor.
MC  Darryl Coombs was relatable in his hesitation to come back home, his love of his sister, and revisiting his memories. His journey back home is one many of us probably experience when we choose to leave our own small towns in terms of reconnecting with people and remembering less than pleasant times.
Sometimes I felt the development was a little stilted, and there was a major childhood incident on the water tower that I felt was sort of glossed over, focusing on the events leading up to the catastrophe but not the actual incident. It just happened, and that was that.
The Water Tower Club was something that impacted Darryl as a child, and in the climax, but was overall relatively unimportant. I expected this to be a sort of bond, a brotherhood, or the fallout of Darryl's initial failure to be developed in to the story line a little more. I felt like it came up, and then only appeared again as the way to close down the novel.
Overall, I would read another novel from this author, I found the book satisfying enough to keep reading it on a flight without turning on a movie, and I'd probably recommend it to my reader friends who want something a little more substantial than YA, but not too heavy. It sits really nice on the shelf for quick and clean reads with a tidy and tied up arc.
This is a story of a man who is forced to return to the hometown he left after high school to confront the issues of his childhood that remain there.

It's easy to feel sympathy for the character—not so much for his little sister who he has come to rescue out of jail. I didn't feel that her refusal to discuss her motivation for her crime with either her lawyer or brother really made any sense, and was sort of used as a device to keep the mystery of the story going until the end.

It was a fairly enjoyable read, characters were well developed and the pace was good.
The day after graduating from high school, Darryl Coombs fled his hometown of Grotin, Kansas, hoping to put the memories of his nightmarish childhood behind him forever. Now, ten years later, his sister’s arrest on a charge of attempted murder has Darryl reluctantly returning to his childhood home. He is desperate to save his sister from prison, but his unwitting actions lead to deadly consequences that tear apart the fabric of a community and send him on a personal journey the end of which he could never have imagined.

Thank you to net galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book it was a great experience first time reading anything from this author
I wish there were half stars here because this was a solid 3.5-4 star book. This was a suspense novel without gore and horror. I kept wanting to read just one more chapter to get the whole story, Why did Lilly stab him?? The character's developed a bit slowly but I think this was in part to how the storyline was revealed. I did find myself skim reading through paragraphs at a time as it did tend to get wordy in some spots  but I did enjoy the writing style, And that ending 😮 SHOOK! I did NOT see that little twist coming. It was a fun, quick little mystery read and right in my genre wheelhouse. Thank you Netgalley for a digital copy of this book for my honest review.
I tried hard to enjoy this one. It had all the elements I typically love in a good book, but I just could not get into it. The characters seemed boring to me, and the story seemed to drag on and on and on. Four days in, and I had only made it halfway through the book. Had to put it down. Sorry.
I have found a new favorite author. Let me introduce you to B.K. Mayo, author of "The Water Tower Club," a fascinating fictional story about small-town secrets. Darryl swore he'd never return to his birthplace after leaving the Kansas town in his rear-view mirror. It's only when his little sister is jailed for attempted murder that he feels compelled to return to the place that holds horrible memories. Why did she stab a commissioner in the neck with a nail file? Libby isn't talking. Darryl feels that he is the only who might be able to help. It certainly won't come from their mom who lives alone with her own demons. As Darryl seeks answers, he has to face what drove him away in the first place. And as he says, his quest is like an extended game of whack-a-mole. For every answer, up pops two, or more, questions. The author brings the town's characters to life, including those who would prefer to keep their secrets hidden. His writing style is smooth, yet carries a voice of experience and life in a small town.
There were so many moments in this book when I thought I knew exactly what was going to happen. I was wrong every time. Darryl Coombs returns back to his hometown in Kansas to help his sister, Libby, who's been charged with attempted murder, and Coombs is convinced there's more to the story -- so he gets to the bottom of it. On the way, he reckons with the ghosts of his past in a town he hasn't called home in a decade. BK Mayo's "The Water Tower Club" is a mystery and a thriller, yes, but more than that, it's a story about what it means to go home again.
The writing is taut and engaging, the characters both believable and accessible, and the plot keeps you entertained .
Loved it !
I enjoyed reading this book. It had a good story to it. I liked the variety of characters in it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Dark and gripping! Think you can handle it... pick it up and see... hope you enjoy. Thanks NetGalley I entreating this one!
4.5/5
The Water Tower Club is a quick, compelling story of small town secrets. The mystery of this story unfolded nicely and left me heartbroken and furious. Would definitely recommend for a quick afternoon read.

*i received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for my review
The Water Tower Club follows Darryl Coombs back to Grotin,  the town of his childhood, and a past he'd hope to erase from memory. His younger sister Libby has been arrested on a charge of attempted murder. The plot is full of twists and turns and well written .Definitely would recommend this book.
Many thanks to the Netgalley, the author and Fir Valley Press.
Engrossing.  A real page turner.  Twisty and shocking.
This book grabbed me and didn't let go until the very end.