Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

Cookie Chanel is a vintage clothing shop owner who has a last minute client needing costumes for a photo shoot at a cemetery. One dead body later and Cookie is deep into a mystery with an extra ghost, her boyfriend, a volatile relationship among suspects, and so much more. Book 7 is filled with fun times, nail biting moments, fabulous characters, and great dialogue. If reading the story out of order contained any great spoilers, I can only think of one and I didn't' find it to be anything that would keep me from reading previous books.Great tips for dressing and finding vintage, thought not for those who are plus size.

Thank you to NetGalley, Rose Pressey, and Kensington Books for giving me the chance to read this book and share my honest thoughts and opinions with others.
Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal is the seventh book in the Haunted Vintage Mystery series by Rose Pressey. I have read some, but not all, of the books in this series. While those reading the series in order will definitely get more from the character and relationship development than newcomers, I think each book can also be enjoyed without the prior knowledge.

Cookie Chanel, owner of the chic clothing store It’s Vintage Y’All in Sugar Creek, Georgia, has been hired to dress models for a fashion shoot. The spread will be featured in Fashion and Style magazine's October issue—so the models are posing in a cemetery. As someone who can see and talk to ghosts, Cookie's not spooked by the location. But she is surprised when a new ghost appears, decked out in 1920s couture. And she's shocked when she hears a gunshot. Then a model runs toward her, saying the grumpy photographer has been edited out of the picture – for good. With help from her ghostly pals, Cookie must zoom in on the truth before she’s the next to strike a final pose.

Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal is a well written story with a nice balance of character development, small town charm, and mystery. I like that there are some creepy moments, but that the ghosts themselves are not spooky. The biggest scares come from the mystery, not the supernatural element of the story. I like Cookie and her ghostly companions, and like that while there is a romance factor here it does not overwhelm the rest of the story.I thought the mystery was well done although I still wonder what happened with a couple of the bits of information that turned out to be nothing. I also have a couple ghost related questions, but revealing those thoughts might offer spoilers and I would hate to do that.

I am not sure what was not working for me though, because while I enjoyed the read I never really became fully engaged. I wanted to know where everything was going and what would happen next, but I had no trouble putting the book aside to deal with other matters, or waste time on Facebook. Maybe it was just my mindset when I started reading and nothing to do with the book, because I cannot put my finger on the reason for the disconnect.

Fashions Fade, Haunted Is Eternal is a solid cozy mystery with a ghostly flavor. I think fans of the author and series will enjoy it and want to keep on reading.
The seventh book in the Haunted Vintage Mystery series by Rose Pressey is Fashions Fade, Haunted is Forever.  Cookie, owner of It's Vintage, Y'all, is styling the clothing for a fashion shoot in a cemetery.  A gunshot rings out, and the cemetery has one extra body.  Cookie along with her ghost sidekicks sets out to solve the mystery.  The premise of having ghosts follow the lead character around requires a stretch of the imagination.  It is stretched a bit further with this particular book.  I am not sure that is a good thing in regards to the direction of the series.
I like all of the Rose Pressey series but the vintage one has probably been my favorite. There are hints that this will be the last of the series and I hope that isn’t so. I’ve enjoyed the crazy characters both living and ghostly as well as the diverse plot lines. This one was no exception. I’m a fan of vintage everything…well, not the mini skirt so much…so I really liked the many references to the 1920’s era in this book.
This is the 7th book in the Haunted Vintage Mystery series.  I've read all the books in this series, and I was disappointed in the last one.  This book was an improvement and I really enjoyed it.

Cookie Chanel is the owner of a vintage clothing store, and she sees ghosts.  They travel with her and talk to her as she goes about her business.  She's provided clothes for a fashion shoot that takes place in a cemetery, The photographer is rude and a little obnoxious, but Cookie is fine until the photographer is killed during a break and a new ghost appears to talk to her.  As in the other books, Cookie relies on her ghostly friends to help her solve the crime.

I liked the plot in this book, it came together well.  The characters are fun and quirky and I recommend the book.

Thanks to Kensington Publishing Corporation and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I absolutely adore this novel! It has fantastic characters, a great plot and many other wonderful qualities. I highly recommend this story and can't wait to see what the author comes it with next.
R0se Pressley  continues her Haunted Vintage series with Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal.  Cookie Chanel has to find out who killed Tyler, the photographer, for her Hallowe'en vintage photo shoot in the cemetery.  Charlotte and Minnie the ghosts give her advice and Dylan the policeman provides some clues.  Cozy on steroids.
This is a great cozy series for the lovers of anything vintage.  The fashion tips from the 50's are so appropriate for today. Cookie Chanel is at the Sugar Creek, Georgia cemetery for a fashion shoot that will appear in the October issue of well known magazine.  When the photographer gets shot, Cookie, her ghost best friend, Charlotte and meet a new ghost named Minnie.  Of course Cookie has to help her boyfriend detective solve the case and their romance is moving right along.  This is book 7 in the Haunted Vintage Mystery series.  It can be read as a stand alone but you won't want to miss the fun in the previous books.  How Many Grandmothers come back as a cat to keep you company.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I am truly so happy I came across this author in my hunt for a well written cozy mystery. this book is funny, clever and hits all the points needed for an enjoyable cozy book! Loved every page!
I love a Rose Pressey series. She makes the books so much fun to read. Her characters are likable and a little crazy, but since some of them are ghosts and others can see or speak to ghosts, that is understandable. She also has a few ghost inhabited feline characters, which I feel is a nice twist.
I thought the title is ironic, since the main heroine runs a vintage fashion store and hopes that styles rotate or last for generations, and the ghosts that pass through her shop seem to move on to somewhere else. That is except for her best deceased friend, Charlotte, and Cookie`s grandmother, who each add something to each book.
Each chapter starts with a tip or reference to something vintage that is still useful today.
The romantic tension and questions that have run through this series get answered, perhaps disappointing to some and surprising to others. If this is, indeed, the last book of the series, I would be excited if the author continued to give us updates on these characters lives, perhaps through her newsletter or website. I would continue to read about them.

I would recommend this series to fans of Juliet Blackwell`s Witchcraft Mystery series or Madelyn Alt`s Bewitching Mystery Series or Melissa Bourbon`s Pleating for Mercy A Fitting End Deadly Patterns A Custom-Fit Crime A Killing Notion A Seamless Murder A Magical Dressmaking Mystery series.
Cookie Chanel spends a lot of time talking to ghosts so it doesn't surprise her when she picks up a new companion while providing vintage clothing for a fashion shoot in a graveyard. What does surprise her is when a gunshot leaves the photographer dead.

As much as I hate to say it, because I really enjoyed the first books in this series, I didn't get caught up in either the murder mystery or the story of Minnie, the ghost of a 1920s flapper. The rules around the ghosts are suddenly changing and there was one new twist thrown in near the middle of the book that really intrigued me, but I didn't love this one.
Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal:  A Haunted Vintage Mystery
By Rose Pressey
Kensington
January 2019

Review by Cynthia Chow

Vintage clothing store owner Cookie Chanel should have felt right at home during the fashion shoot for Fashion and Style magazine.  Sure, the Halloween-themed photos were being taken in the middle of a Sugar Creek, Georgia cemetery, but being able to communicate with ghosts and having her own spectral BFF had Cookie accustomed to the spooky atmosphere.  That doesn’t mean that she still isn’t startled to meet yet another ghost, or hear gunshots that signal the death of the aggressively obnoxious photographer, Tyler Fields.

Her adorable clothing indicates that Minnie Lynn lived her life in the 1920s, making her presence probably unrelated to Tyler’s modern-day murder.  She’s more than willing to join Cookie and her constant ghostly companion Charlotte Meadows on their investigation, who doesn’t hesitate to introduce Minnie to the questionable use of Catfishing.  Cookie’s studly boyfriend Detective Dylan Valentine warns them away from his investigation, but he also has something of a roll-with-it attitude as he accepts not only the ghosts but Cookie’s compulsion to meddle in murder and occasionally hide evidence.  A new development is Cookie’s living best friend Heather’s ability to finally see ghosts as well, a handy talent for a formerly-fraudulent-psychic.

While Minnie and Charlotte are often the cheerleaders for Cookie’s life-endangering endeavors, they often lean towards being a version of the jeering Muppets Statler and Waldorf as they narrate and critique Cookie’s activities. A far more effective investigative duo comes in the form of Vintage Y’all’s store cats, Wind Song and a newly arrived feline.  Embodying the spirit of Cookie’s grandmother, Wind Song utilizes tarot cards and a Ouija board to provide clues and warnings.  Cookie and Charlotte provide fashion and ghostly living tips at the beginning of each chapter, with additional vintage designs gorgeously described throughout. This is fun romp of a mystery that delights with its impulsive heroine, quippy banter, and tantalizing romance.
This book grabbed my attention because I love all things vintage.  The story is fun, the writing was good, the mystery satisfying. although predictable.  The characters were well thought out  and interesting.  I liked the book and will read others in the series.  Thanks netgalley for the arc, the review is my honest opinion.
Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal by Rose Pressey takes us back to Sugar Creek, Georgia.  Cookie Chanel owns It’s Vintage, Y’All and has been hired by Tyler Fields, a photographer, to style models for a fashion shoot for the Halloween issue of Fashion & Style magazine.  The shoot is taking place at a local cemetery where Tyler has been snappish all day and Cookie saw him get into an argument with a man who has been lingering in the background all day.  Cookie is surprised when a ghost dressed in fashions from the 1920s appears next to her and her ghostly friend, Charlotte.  Minnie Lynn is wearing the pearls that Cookie recently acquired at an estate sale.  Before she can react to the spirit, a shot rings out which sends Cookie running towards the sound.  A model runs past her stating the photographer is dead.  Cookie finds Tyler lying next to a headstone and he has taken his last shot.  Detective Dylan Valentine, Cookie’s boyfriend, arrives on the scene and Cookie fills him in on all the details.  Dylan, thankfully, knows better than to warn Cookie not to delve into the case.  Cookie is back at her shop when her friend Heather pops in.  To their surprise, Heather can now see Charlotte and Minnie.  Cookie’s first order of business is identifying the man that Tyler was arguing with at the cemetery.  Krissy Dustin, one of the models from the shoot, is a talkative woman and provides a suspect in Tyler’s possessive ex-girlfriend.  Cookie goes back to examine the crime scene in more detail and a helpful cat leads her to a clue.  Cookie soon discovers that the cat is no ordinary feline.  Cookie, with the help of her spirit friends, Grandma Pearl (aka Wind Song) and her new feline companion, sets out to dig up Tyler’s killer.

Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal is an entertaining and lighthearted cozy mystery.  Cookie Chanel is a quirky young woman who dresses in vintage fashions plus drives a beautiful classic car. Her best friend, Heather Sweet, owns Magic Emporium which has helpful books for Cookie plus a Ouija board when Grandma Pearl needs to converse.  Minnie Lynn was a fun addition to the book.  The witty repartee between Minnie and Charlotte will have you in stitches.  The way Cookie walks around town talking to the ghosts, I am surprised the whole town is not aware that she can see and talk with spirits.  I like that Dylan is now aware of Cookie’s secret.  Dylan Valentine is a good man and the perfect suitor for Cookie.  He understands her and accepts her (does not want to change her). I like that nothing seems to phase Dylan.  The mystery is straightforward and is a cinch to solve.    Cookie goes around asking questions, listening in on conversations, and does a little catfishing to garner information.  The ending is romantic and heartwarming (readers will love it).  It was the perfect ending for Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal.  Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal is the seventh book in A Haunted Vintage Mystery and it can be read alone.  Rose Pressey has an engaging, casual writing style which makes her stories a pleasure to read.  Her characters are likeable, and the setting is charming.  The town is filled with friendly residents who understand and accept Cookie’s quirks.  I am giving Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it).  If you wish to read a lively and humorous cozy mystery, then look no further than Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal.
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I am looking forward to reading other books by this great author.
A cat who communicates through a Ouija board is fantastic enough.  But when the same cat is actually Cookie's grandmother - you get over the top entertainment.  Fabulous vintage fashion and two ghost sidekicks keep Cookie on her toes.
Fashions Fade, Haunted is Eternal is the 7th book in the Haunted Vintage mystery series. Cookie Chanel owns a vintage clothing shop, It's Vintage Y'all, in Sugar Creek, GA. Not only that, but she sees ghosts, and the spirit of her grandmother is in her cat, Windsong. All in all, a normal business woman, not. Charlotte Meadows is her ghost friend, a former socialite who now hangs around the shop and helps Cookie choose vintage outfits and solve mysteries. Windsong, also helps solve mysteries, but uses a Oujia board to communicate. Once again, Cookie and her cohorts stumble onto a murder and can't let it go.

Cookie has been hired to supply vintage clothing for a photo shoot. While working in a local cemetery, there is a gunshot and the photographer is found dead. He was the epitome of high strung artist, constantly shouting at the models and had a large number of people who did not like him. This of course, made it very hard to determine who hated him enough to kill him. As Cookie is checking out the dead body, another ghost pops up named Minnie from the 1920s. The investigation begins. Who killed the photographer? Cookie and her spirit pals are on the case!

This is a fun series and this book carries on the light hearted fun, humour and banter. At least Cookie's best friend Heather can finally see and communicate with the ghosts, but most other people think Cookie is a bit eccentric and she has to find ways to talk to the ghosts without anyone thinking she is talking to herself, unfortunately it doesn't always work. Cookie, her spirit frends and even the cats work well together solving the crimes. Charlotte is sassy and bossy, offsetting Cookie's sweet, not always smart personality. What Cookie can't ferret out, her spirit buddies generally can. The mystery is a bit quicker moving that in the last book and I still wonder sometimes why Cookie takes the chances she does. Her love interest, Detective Dylan Valentine, is one of the most patient men ever. He puts up with Cookie ignoring him a lot of the time, yet is always there when she needs him. I enjoyed the new characters in this book, Minnie, a rather sweet and naive ghost and another cat with the spirit of the deceased in him. They added another dimension to the story. The ending was great, but I do not want to spoil it for you. Rose Pressey never disappoints, with her mix of humour, mystery and sass in her cozies. There are tidbits about vintage clothing and living as a spirit at the beginning of each chapter, but you do not have to like vintage to enjoy this book or series and the paranormal elements do not overpower the mystery. This series is enjoyable and always well written. The publisher, Kensington, generously provided me with a copy of this book upon request. The rating, ideas and opinions shared are my own.
Cookie Chanel lives in Sugar Creek, Georgia and owns a vintage clothing shop, It's Vintage Y'all.  She also communicates with ghosts and has her own resident spirit named Charlotte that she 'picked up' while at the deceased woman's estate sale.  Currently she's at a photo shoot in a graveyard (!) with a group of models and an obnoxious photographer when a shot rings out and she finds the photographer's dead body.

Unfortunately, this also brings another ghost to her, a 1920's flapper named Minnie who can't remember why she's there but thinks it might have something to do with the pearls Cookie recently bought that match exactly the ones Minnie is wearing.

Her boyfriend, Homicide Detective Dylan Valentine, also knows about the ghosts and seems accepting of that fact, which says a lot about how he feels about Cookie.  But when Dylan asks her to stay out of the investigation, Cookie never really agrees, deciding to find out who killed the man.  Still, there are surprises in store, such as where did the black cat in the graveyard come from, and why has he decided to latch onto Cookie; what happened to Heather (who's discovered something interesting), and who's trying to kill Cookie?  If Dylan - or Cookie - don't figure it out soon, she'll be the next ghost to visit someone hoping to solve the crime...

Because I enjoyed all the others in this series, I had high hopes for what appears to be the finale; but unfortunately, it didn't measure up.  The writing seemed disjointed somehow; almost as if the author wanted to get the book out of the way and go on to other books.  The conversations were between Cookie and her ghosts were boring, and half of them didn't make any sense.

I also didn't (still) understand why Charlotte kept pushing Cookie to go to listen to conversations when she, as a ghost, could have done so much easier and not been detected.  Why was she pushing Cookie to get into possibly dangerous situations when she could have gone anywhere undetected?  Charlotte has a knack for encouraging Cookie to go do something that will get her into trouble, and then denying she had anything to do with it.  (No wonder someone killed her.)

And why was Cookie even investigating?  In the previous books, the ghosts had always asked Cookie to find out who killed them and why - but this time, there was no such scenario.  There was no ghost hanging around her demanding she discover who killed him.  (Yes, there was the 'ghost cat' but he wasn't hounding her constantly and following her around demanding she find his murderer).  Yet for some odd reason, she felt the need to figure it out.  (Because of this, I had a hard time believing that she would just stay out of Dylan's future investigations).  Cookie usually isn't as stupid as she was in this book, just walking into potentially dangerous situations and even leaving behind a police officer that was assigned to protect her (note to officer:  they don't fall asleep on stakeouts if they value their jobs).

I also, unfortunately again, didn't think the reason the man was murdered was plausible, and we were left with some unanswered questions that bothered me.  I also felt that as far as the vintage thing goes, Dylan and everyone else went a little over the top for Cookie.  It all came off as too saccharine for me; it could have been so much better.  It was fine for a quick mystery read.
Cookie Chanel is at a photo shoot in a cemetery. She has the provided vintage outfits for the models, and is anxious to finish and get back to her store. After all, there's no reason for her to be afraid - she already sees and talks to ghosts! Unfortunately, there is a reason to be afraid. The obnoxious photographer, Tyler, is shot and killed during a break.  Was it one of the models, an annoyed assistant, or an angry model's boyfriend? Cookie thrusts herself in the middle of the investigation (as usual), and begins to look around. In the meantime, Minnie Lynn, a new ghost presumably from the 1920s, shows up to hang out with Cookie and her full-time ghost friend, Charlotte. To make things even more interesting, when investigating the scene of the crime at night, Cookie encounters a black cat which later tells her it is the spirit of the deceased photographer.

Cookie works her magic and solves the case, despite much personal danger (including a kidnap attempt). I enjoy the series, and the end was really adorable.
It is always fun to take a spin into the vintage world of Cookie Chanel. Seeing ghosts is what she's good at, even though it makes her nuts.
When a new gig has her dressing models in a cemetery, it's up to Cookie and her ghostly sidekicks to figure things out.
I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series.