Cover Image: Bayou Vows

Bayou Vows

This was not as good as I was hoping for. It was slow and repetitive and I would hope any follow-ups would be more like the first one.
This is the third book in the Bayou Bachelors series.  For those new to this series, I recommend starting at the beginning as there are storylines that run throughout the series and one may lose half of what is going on by reading this as a standalone.

This circumstances of this story happen predominantly off the pages to get this story started.  It wraps up items from the first two and at first I thought I had missed an installment.  It all gets covered throughout this book so I was quickly up to speed.

I liked both characters however I did get frustrated in the whole miscommunication leads to perceived unsurmountable differences.  This is common within this genre so you kind of have to just go with the flow or else there wouldn't be a story to begin with.  Despite my frustration, I did like this story the best of all three.  I think it is because it was linked together to the first two so I really had an investment in the outcome.  To try to explain it would result in spoilers so you would have to take my word for it.

If I would have to summarize the pros & cons?

Pros: Quick easy read with plenty of steam for those looking for it
Cons:  somewhat unbelievable - its difficult to accept that someone who has been racist for 30 plus years can suddenly change.

Overall I had a good time with this series.
I’m finally throwing in the towel. As I mentioned in my review of Bare Devotion, I’m frustrated with this series.  I have a hard time leaving things unfinished and, it seems to me, this is the last in the series, so I can quit this author.  There is just so much potential in her stories.  She has wonderful concepts and storylines.  The execution is just not there for me.  I’m not connecting with the characters on the level I should be, especially in this book.

I had actually been looking forward to the story of Jeb and Jena.  To this point we have heard about them both but not met either one.  It was intriguing that Jeb was a lifelong friend of the Boudreaux family yet stole millions of dollars from his best friend, and somehow it was a forgivable offense by the end of the first book.  What exactly happened? Why did he take off with the money?  Although we knew some of these answers, we hadn’t yet gotten the whole story.  We get a lot of answers here, but for some reason I couldn’t be made to care very much.  I think, in part, it was the repetitiveness of the story.  How many times does the reader have to be told that Jena was in the CIA and had to keep secrets, or those secrets made her feel guilty? How often do we need to be reminded that Jeb and Jenna have been best friends since childhood? For that matter, did we have to be constantly told that Jena and Jeb had secretly had a relationship with each other numerous times in their adult lives?

Which brings me to another issues…inconsistencies.  At first, it really seemed as though Jena’s family was fully aware Jeb and Jenna had dated in both high school and college.  Then it was some big secret. Although they went to prom together??? Jena’s whole endeavor after becoming a “civilian” back in New Orleans had nothing to do with her father, Hudson.  As far as I could tell, her brother Brandon was the backer and had the suggestion.  Then, about 75% into this book, everyone started referring to it as Hudson’s project. It made no sense, he had absolutely nothing to do with this project…that was moving at warp speed, by the way.

Here’s the thing, I’m not here to bash the author or this story.  I feel as if that’s what this review is becoming.  Please know that it’s only because of my frustration level.  If I felt this author was terrible or this story idea was the pits it wouldn’t bother me, I’d say it’s a bad book and be done with it.  The problem (now I’m being repetitive) is that I feel this author has huge potential and her ideas are solid.  I really wish her team of friends, editors, and publishers would help her to reach that potential.  She could truly shine if they did.

Unfortunately, I think I’m done with this author.  I have to many other wonderful authors and books on my TBR list to keep beating my head against the same wall.
Jena Boudreaux has spent a long time hiding her feelings that she can’t drop the pretence when it comes to her longtime friend Jeb DeVillier. Their long and complicated friendship was blown apart when she reached out to him when kidnapped and he realised some of what she had been hiding from him. They are now both back in New Orleans but it seems that nothing will heal the rift that has opened between them despite their strong connection. The first book I have read from this series, wish I had read the first two previously. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I don't think I have ever seen the word 'sexy so much in my life. Sure I get it, it's a great way to describe something (a noun if you would) but after seeing almost every other sentence describing the relationship between Jen and Jena, it became rather tiring and such a turn off. Despite that little annoyance, I did find the series to be somewhat enjoyable but not enjoyable enough for me to finish it. I did like the storyline about being Jeb/Jena being more than friends, less than lovers and dealing with the consequences of her actions of lying to her family/friends on her double life but there was just that little 'something something' missing that could've added some wow factor to the story.
"Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the advance copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review."

Loved this book very much.  It had just enough sweet, sexy romance and the storyline was great! I highly recommend!
Passionate story about rebuilding a life, a love and a friendship after an almost tragedy ripples through the lives of lifelong friends.