One Summer in Paris

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 May 2019

Sarah Morgan's writing is straightforward, concise, and you easily fall right into the story. There's nothing like daydreaming about going to Paris when your life falls apart, and this is that daydream in novel form. A little predictable, but overall an enjoyable escape.
A lovely story by Sarah Moran. Grace is faced with the unthinkable. After planning a romantic getaway to Paris with her husband, she learns that he is involved with someone else and wants a divorce. Shattered, she decides to go to Paris alone where she meets Aubrey who's facing the prospect of a lonely existence in the City of Light. They strike up a friendship in this engaging tale. Highly recommend.
Grace has a delicious surprise for her husband, a romantic summer away in Paris. But what Grace doesn’t anticipate is her husband, on their anniversary no less, telling her he wants a divorce. Reeling from the shock, she decides to go to Paris by herself and enjoy herself even as her heart breaks with each new revelation of her husband’s affair.

Audrey is determined to be on her own and not have to worry about anyone else for a change. With no money and unable to understand the language, Audrey is looking at life on the streets and just about given up hope her job at the bookshop is still available. But when these two very different women meet, both their lives change in an instant. Audrey can’t believe how cautious Grace ius while Grace is shocked at how bold Audrey can be. Living above the bookstore, these two very different people find a healing friendship bloom between them. Both came to Paris for different reasons and as Paris works her magic upon them, Audrey and Grace will find the strength to move onto a life that they made for themselves.

I really enjoyed this author’s last book, How to Keep a Secret, and was tickled to read ONE SUMMER IN PARIS next by this new to me author. I found the story flowed seamlessly and kept my attention till the very end. A few plot twists I figured out beforehand, but it didn’t take away from the story set around Paris and the two women who run to its waiting arms, with broken hearts and lives. The author does a marvelous job in capturing the appeal of Paris perfectly within t he pages. It made me want to walk down the streets, looking for a café to sit by and people watch as I drank coffee and had pastries. The story flows smoothly, seamlessly switching from Grace then Audrey’s storyline until both get entwined together about halfway through the book. I loved Grace and Audrey a lot. They are two very different people, one cautious and careful to a fault; the other bold and brash, determined to live her life on her own terms. Both are perfect separately but when these two meets and start to meld together story wise, its pure magic.

Sarah Morgan is a talented storyteller who creates such wonderful stories that will leave the reader breathless. Her prose flows seamlessly and I fell for both Grace and Audrey as they navigate their new lives separately and together. If you enjoy author Jill Shalvis or Robyn Carr’s women fiction stories, you will enjoy ONE SUMMER IN PARIS.

This is an objective review and not an endorsement
This book had vague hints of Lolly Winston which is a good thing because I typically love her books. I adored the characters of Grace and Audrey and how their very different, yet very similar circumstances brought them both to Paris. How they helped each other warmed my heart and I ended the book wanting to know more. Although I'm a little bummed that Grace decides to take David back (sorry, spoiler) I understand how sometimes love just wins (and forgives).
Sarah Morgan has done it again. She quickly became a favorite author after I read her From Manhattan With love series, and I've been on the lookout for everything else with her name on it. I love the story of a woman who whisks off on a journey alone and One Summer In Paris doesn't fail at all by taking a favorite storyline of mine and making it work, feeling original and blowing me away. 5 beautiful stars.
In this novel we meet Grace and Audrey who are the unlikeliest set of friends.  Grace is in the process of a divorce when she travels to Paris while Audrey is a young adult just beginning to branch out her life.  The two meet and contrast really well to become fast friends.  I felt like this novel was really a story of growth and adaptation of their lives as they both experienced and overcame various obstacles.   Grace is such a charming character while Audrey is both likable and quite funny.  The only reason I gave this one 4 stars instead of 5 is that I'm not a fan of the ending.  I won't give you any spoilers but the story just didn't end in my personal preference.  All that considered, it was still a great novel and I cannot wait to read more by Sarah Morgan!

Thank you to Harlequin was an advanced reader copy via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
One Summer in Paris is a heartwarming story of two women at a crossroads in completely different stages of their lives who become unexpected friends and end up having a lot more in common than they could have ever imagined. What better place is there for a new awakening than Paris? With each others support these women learn how to trust, open up, and reach inside themselves for strength. It's a beautiful story full or romance, heartbreak and whimsy.
Unfortunately I could not finish this book after about 25 percent. I did not feel connected to the characters and felt that it read like a Hallmark movie. This may not be the right time for me and this book because I really love Paris and stories about women finding themselves.
Rounding down from 3.5 stars.

This was a cute story about the unlikely friendship between an 18 y/o young woman from London and a woman from Connecticut in her late 40s/early 50s (I can't remember her age or if they revealed it). They both end up in Paris after events in their lives, and then of course they find themselves bonding after random events that threw them into each other's paths, and then there's some romance with random French men thrown in.

There were a few things that prevent me from giving this a higher rating -- the woman is from the US (Connecticut), yet she uses slang and idioms that are British. I know the author is British, but given the alternating POV of the characters, you would think that someone along the way would've pointed that out and left the British slang only to the British character. And while I loved the friendship of the two characters, nearly every conversation was focused on what was happening in their love lives, so this definitely didn't pass the Bechdel test...while I love a romance/chick lit storyline, in a book promoting female friendship, I expected there to be a little more of that and a little less dude talk. I'm sure some people won't like the ending, but that didn't bother me because I like the uncomfortable choice ending sometimes... even though the character involved isn't the most sympathetic, so the rationale for it left much to be desired.

I started this as the written book but then switched to an audiobook because I fell behind and my e-ARC from Netgalley expired before I could finish it lol. I think the book works well in either format.
Grace planned to surprise her husband with a Paris vacation for their twenty fifth wedding anniversary, but as surprises go he beat her to the punch by asking for a divorce - at dinner in front of their whole town because he's cheating on her with a woman barely older than their daughter.

Ouch.

Meanwhile, in London young adult, Audrey made a last second decision to fake her way into a job in Paris for the summer to escape her alcoholic mother. It doesn't matter that she doesn't speak French or have any money.

When Grace and Audrey's lives collide they develop a friendship that defies the years, heals old wounds, and opens up a new future for them both. I couldn't put it down.
Grace is a soon-to-be empty-nester, sad to see her daughter go off to college, but excited about spending more time with her husband David, beginning with a trip to Paris to celebrate their 25th anniversary. Unfortunately, he has other plans: to divorce Grace and move on with a woman half his age. So, she decides to make the trip herself. Once there, she meets Audrey, an 18-year-old Londoner who has been struggling with dyslexia and parenting her alcoholic mother for years. Knowing she needs to escape, she takes a job at a bookstore in Paris with the offer of a free apartment. When the two women each end up living above the bookstore and Grace begins to give Audrey French lessons, a fast friendship develops. Despite their differences in age, education, wealth and circumstances, they are both on a journey of self-discovery and, along the way come to share respect, trust and love (which Audrey has never been given unconditionally).

Although Sarah Morgan is a stellar romance writer, the friendship between these two is the driving force with the romantic relationships (yes, there are a few) taking a backseat. There are some sweet, sexy (but not too steamy) love scenes and the Paris that the tourists rarely take time to see. There’s also a charming subplot about a man who visits the story every day methodically looking for something in every book. When that mystery is revealed, most readers will shed a tear or two. Although Grace’s decisions will probably disappoint many readers, this delightful book is still the next best thing to spending a summer in Paris.

I received a complimentary ARC of this book from HQN through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Opinions expressed are completely my own.
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The setting of Paris was perfect, the 2 main characters were so enjoyable as their life story was told, and the fact that this was a romance was perfect.  A great summer time read that I’ll recommend to my patrons.
"One Summer in Paris" tells the story of two women who meet unexpectedly in Paris. Both are dealing with large life issues, and seeking to start over again. They help each other through their crises, and both women emerge  as stronger women in the end.

This novel included humorous moments, but also dealt with some serious issues, such as alcoholism, risky behavior, midlife crises, dyslexia, and infidelity. The characters all experienced growth by the end of the book. The author left the reader with the impression that the characters would be better equipped to deal with their individual challenges, but there was still a road to follow on the journey to an improved life.

Readers are warned: this book includes use of the "f-bomb" and other swearing, and sexual scenes.  Some themes may be distasteful to readers as well.

The scenes and descriptions of Paris were well done and evoked a feeling of being there. The author also used alternating viewpoints of the characters to good effect.

I received this book from the publisher and from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
This was such a good story. I really enjoyed the friendship that developed between Grace and Audrey. They come from different places, have many different experiences, but have a common bond. With both facing uncertain times in their lives, they form a relationship that will endure time. New experiences for each of them has them depending on the other for support, guidance and advice from fashion to love. This is great read for anyone looking for a feel good story.
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Grace has planned a vacation to Paris with her husband, David, to celebrate their 25th anniversary, having no idea that he is going to ask her for a divorce that same night.  When David asks her about reimbursing her for the cost of the trip so that he can take his girlfriend instead, Grace decides to take the trip by herself instead.  Audrey has been counting down to graduation when she can get away from her alcoholic mother.  She decides to go to Paris and lands a job in a bookstore that provides a place to stay.  However, with no money, no friends, and lacking the ability to speak the language, Paris looks like it will have its own set of problems.  When Grace and Audrey cross paths, the pair form an unexpected bond that can change their lives.

I absolutely loved this heartwarming book.  I adore books with intergenerational friendships where the women can learn so much from each other's experiences and develop close bonds.  Who could resist the setting in Paris and a bookstore, too?  I feel like Mimi could have a book of her own – I would love to hear more about her exploits as a young woman.
One of my new favorite books! This author has such a way with words the pages flew by in no time! I can’t wait to see the next work by this author! This was such a joy to read!
I always enjoy a book shop story — and this one is a fresh take. Grace - newly separated and reluctantly trying on independence for size - meets young, insouciant Audrey on the streets of Paris, and a friendship for the ages is born.

Morgan writes excellent city-themed chick lit, and her Parisian perspective is so fun! She solves character conflict with whimsy, and keeps the reader positive throughout.  I thought the Grace-Audrey friendship was fresh and well developed, and I found myself wishing I was the third friend at a bookshop, trying to speak French!  Very good read.
NetGalley provided an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
I found myself experiencing a lot of strong emotions while reading this book. Some unpleasant. It really made me stop and think about what I would do in different circumstances and caused me incredible frustration when the characters chose differently. As frustrated as I was, this is the mark of a good book. It had me thinking and engaged…

Sarah Morgan is incredibly talented at tackling everyday topics and showing the reader personal connections. I look forward to her next book.
4 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy multi-generational women's fiction. This was a mix of women working through personal and relationship issues with a bit of fluff.

I absolutely adored The Christmas Sisters by this author last year, and wanted to give some of her other books a try. As with the Christmas Sisters, this one started a little slowly for me, but really built up a powerful narrative of female growth, family, and friendship. I loved both Grace and Audrey and their unlikely friendship that brought them out of their shells and allowed them to move on in their lives. I liked that this book explored Paris too, that was a very fun atmosphere to read in. While I would not quite classify this as a romance I did enjoy the romantic elements of this story and liked that I didn't see every move coming. While this book ultimately left me feeling hopeful, I love that Morgan's books have a lot of depth to them as well. I would recommend this if you are looking for something that is a good mix of fluff and depth for a summer read.
This was one of the best books I read so far this year. It entwines two woman with different lives and they help each other through two different situations.  It sucks you in from the first page and you never want to put it down. It holds your attention through the while book. It reads smoothly with no hiccups.

** I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest review**