One Summer in Paris

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 May 2019

OMG this book was everything. This was such a treat of a book about unlikely friendships that form a bond.  As a child of an alcoholic, I could identify with both women's struggle with relationships and how they cope with life.  I loved that the book was set in a Paris bookshop.

i have been recommending this book to friends.

This book was featured in What I am Currently  Reading? 5/6/2019  and it will be featured in the Summer Reading Guide.
This is my first book by Sarah Morgan and I really enjoyed it.
Honestly speaking, I wanted to read this book because there was the word Paris in it hahaha. Luckily for me, this book was such a delight to read!

Considering that the book is set in Paris which gave this storyline such an inviting magic. Grace and Audrey's story is one that is absolutely heartfelt.

One Summer in Paris is a book on heartbreak, embracing change and flourishing, it's about friendship... but most of all, it's about life and living in the moment.

I truly enjoyed this book so much! I
One Summer in Paris is a very well written book.  I enjoyed the plot, characters, setting and the author’s writing.  I highly recommend this book.
I loved this one!  Book like this one really hit home to me and I identify with the main character Grace in so many ways.  I loved the themes in this one, family and friendship, and most importantly starting over and forgiveness.  Grace discovers herself, and what she wants her second half of life to be when she visits Paris for the summer.  She forms new friendships and discovers some old ones as well.  Her relationship with her daughter grows, but most importantly her relationship with herself grows and changes.  She learns to trust herself, and to let go a little bit.
I enjoy Ms. Morgan's light hearted romances but her women's fiction stories hit deep into the heart of the women as she exposes the heart and soul of her characters.

Ready to celebrate her twenty fifth anniversary, Grace is shocked when her husband announces that he's in love with a much younger woman. Grace moves to Paris for the vacation that she had planned and ends up re-discovering herself. In Paris she meets Audrey who's dealing with her own set of challenges.

Two female protagonists who complement each other and support each other as they discover themselves and a deep abiding friendship.
Grace, the main character in this book is in her 40’, while she is getting ready to surprise her husband on her 25th wedding anniversary with a one-month trip to Paris. Her husband he’s announces that he has been having an affair with their former babysitter and wants out of their marriage.

Being forced by her daughter to take the trip to Paris on her own, she is feeling frustrated and miserable when she meets Audrey, who has moved to Paris recently working in a book store.
Audrey, 18, is a dyslexic daughter of an alcoholic and sometimes abusive mother. She is trying to rebuild her life and she moves from London to Paris not having any money or knowing what happens next, she starts working in a book store.
And what comes next is what happens when Audrey and Grace meet and all that that is happening in the coming month.

This book is like an emotional roller coaster. Made me laugh, cry and very emotional all through the book.
Sarah Morgan is an amazing storyteller.

Many thanks to Net galley and the publisher for sending me an advanced digital copy.
As the old saying goes: "Secrets, secrets, are no fun.  Secrets, secrets, hurt everyone".  But everyone has secrets, don't they?  Some secrets hurt more than others.  Like Grace, whose husband decides to tell her his secret.  That he's cheating with a friend.  Their daughter's friend who is more than half their age.  And he decides to tell her this at dinner for their 25th Anniversary.

Other secrets we keep so we don't get hurt or judged by others.  Like young Audrey, who is dyslexic and just trying to get through high school.  But it is hard to do when she has an erratic and constantly drunk mother.

Both Grace and Audrey meet by chance while each are escaping from their respective chaos in Paris.  Both had more in common than they could have possibly expected and develop a strong friendship where they teach each other what it means to be completely honest and to bring out the best in each other.  I loved that this book explored friendship love, parental love, love lost, and romantic love all in one story based in the city of love.

This is yet another wonderful book by Sarah Morgan! It is an emotional rollercoaster full of secrets: heartwarming yet tense, funny yet serious, hopeful yet grieving. The amount of character development among multiple characters was astounding.  There was one character in particular that I absolutely had feelings of rage whenever they were involved in the plot but towards the end I found myself (begrudgingly) rooting for.  It also is a great book that highlights the important benefits of traveling, particularly internationally, as well as the importance of a strong relationship with grandparents.

As someone who simply adores my grandmother, Mimi is my favorite character of the book.  She is one of the main character's grandmother who is sassy, independent, unconventional, and just plain fun! She also has a secret that she has been hiding for decades that is later revealed.

I have read many other books by Sarah Morgan but, out of all of them, this was the hardest.  This was simply not a book that I could finish in one sitting.  Hear me out, it does get easier to read as the plot develops but, for me it was hard because, both main characters also had complicated relationships with their respective mothers.  In particular, they both had difficult and unstable childhoods due to their mothers' addictions.  I could relate to each of the main characters as this was something I had also experienced.  This made reading the book difficult as it brought up a lot of things that I had spent a lot of time repressing.  Which also made this book cathartic in that it helped me work through some of it rather than repressing it.  (Ms. Morgan, you can bill me later for the therapy ;) ).

Therefore, if you are one who has also had to deal with a difficult childhood with a parent battling addiction, this book may be heavier than expected.  However, I do still recommend it as it can also be healing.

I would also recommend this book for readers who enjoy stories about friendship, traveling, and romance.  I would recommend this book for adult readers as it does have foul language, heavy topics, and sexually suggestive scenarios.

Please note: an electronic ARC of this book was generously provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!).
Two women, both at crossroads in their lives. Grace, an American, has just been told, on her twenty-fifth anniversary no less, that her husband is having an affair. Audrey is  British and is ready to get out of her alcoholic mother's house. She's not going to college, that's for people who are smart and not dyslexic. Their lives will collide when Grace is mugged and Audrey comes to her rescue. Eventually they realize that they each need something from the other; a chance to step out of their day-to-day.
I really wish this book had been a bit longer. There were some real problems in this book but it felt like the solutions were glossed over or rushed through. I liked Ms. Morgan's other step toward romance light but this book, while worth reading, was not as successful.

Three stars
This book came out April 9
ARC kindly provided by publisher and NetGalley
Opinions are my own
To celebrate her 25th wedding anniversary, Grace books the trip of a lifetime - a month in Paris for herself and her husband. Except, her husband wants a divorce. Instead of doing what is expected of her and cancelling the trip so she can mourn the loss of her marriage, Grace goes to Paris alone. She meets a teen from London who has come to Paris to figure out her life and the pair become unlikely friends. They both manage to secure jobs at a used bookstore that Grace's grandmother used to frequent when she was a young woman living in Paris. Told in three voices (Grace, Audrey, and Grace's grandmother), this is an enjoyable read that allows everyone to have a very plausible happy ending.
One Summer in Paris looked exactly like my type of book when I first saw it. When I started reading it, I was quickly drawn into the story and it was very easy to feel immersed in the story.
We have Grace and anniversary celebration gone wrong, changing her life completely. On the other hand, we have Audrey, looking for an escape from her life and problems. They are both in Paris, but… could they be any more different? Once they meet, they realize that they might not be so different after all.
I loved both characters. Grace was interesting, it was nice to know her story, and how she was dealing with it and how kind she was, especially with Audrey. Audrey was a very cool character, a quirky, snarky girl that was very refreshing and likable. I liked the side characters as well, although David not so much and I am struggling with some of the things that happened towards the end of the book.
The story was warm and filled with strength and hope, it talked about real issues and I loved reading about the relationship between Grace and Audrey, and how they helped each other.
I liked the rhythm and pace of the story, I like the writing style that was so light and fresh. The story was amusing and gripping, however, I did not like the ending. I have nothing against that kind of ending, but after everything that happened, I was certainly expecting something different.
SPOILER ALERT!!!!!
I did not like how everything was easily forgiven, I would have liked she ended up alone, because after all her development that was the clearest path. I also was fond of Mimi’s behavior that changed toward David and then how it meant nothing what she did about Toni.

Nonetheless, I think the story is fun and entertaining, it was great characters and writing and it is a perfect summer read. I hope you read it and like the ending more than I did.
I loved this book. The biggest thing about this book that I loved was the focus on female friendships. That it doesn’t matter your age or background that when you least expect it you may find a friend. Also how someone can go from being a stranger to a friend to someone who is like family. I loved everything about the friendship between Grace & Audrey. . How Audrey a young woman with an alcoholic mother who she seems to be more of a mom to her own mom. How Audrey feels as if she has no one she can confide in but then she meets Grace. Then Grace is a woman always in control and always has a plan. With a mixture of friendship & a changing the way when lives this book brings you on a journey of love, friendship & changing your life a little. Loved it!,
The best books are one with characters you can relate to. That’s how I felt Reading one summer in Paris by Sarah Morgan. I could relate to a piece of each character - Grace’s need to plan and control and Audrey’s anxiety over her mother’s addiction. The world and characters that Sarah Morgan creates are so deep and complex and real that while you’re reading you feel as if you are a part of their world. I truly loved this book - and now I have a deep desire to visit Paris in summer! 😊

Thanks to Harlequin and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book is about heartbreak, friendship, and learning to find yourself afterwards as an adult. Grace and Audrey are both totally different but yet become fast friends. They both are trying to find themselves in Paris and what they do find is an unbreakable friendship. These two women find out how strong they really are and how they can overcome devastation and life as an adult!
Title:  One Summer in Paris
Author:  Sarah Morgan
Genre:  Women’s fiction
Rating:  4.2 out of 5

Grace has been married for twenty-five years, and she has a surprise all planned out for her husband:  a romantic trip to Paris. But he has a surprise as well:  he wants a divorce. With her world in pieces, Grace decides to take the trip anyway and spend the summer in Paris—where memories of the one who got away haunt her.

Audrey has worked for years to get away from her alcoholic mother. A summer in Paris and a job at a bookstore is her way out, and she intends to enjoy every moment to the fullest. Now she’s in Paris, but doesn’t speak French, and has no money, so maybe she’ll be wandering the streets of Paris alone.

Then she meets Grace, and the unlikely pair form a bond that draws them together even as they help each other spread their wings.

One Summer in Paris made me want to visit the city…and I’ve never had the impulse to go there before. I would love to visit this bookstore—let alone work there—and the city came alive on the pages of this book. I’m more like Grace than like Audrey, but I thoroughly enjoyed this read!

Sarah Morgan is a bestselling author. One Summer in Paris is her newest novel.

(Galley courtesy of Harlequin/HQN via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.)
I loved this book. It is so refreshing to see the interested working of a marriage and how you can find friends wherever you are.
An enchanting tale of amour et amitié, set in the city of lights!

Sarah Morgan Rights such beautiful stories that completely ensnare my heart! This book was such a treat, amazing characters, a gorgeous setting, and a heart felt plot. The story was so real and raw, full of emotion and hope. Seriously, who wouldn’t want to spend their summer living above a bookshop in Paris?

Grace is a planner, and she has planned the ultimate surprise. A trip to Paris for her husband and herself for their 25th wedding anniversary. But the surprise is on her at their anniversary dinner her husband David announces to her that he wants a divorce and is in love with another woman. Graces vacation is now a trip for one, a trip to regroup and to lick her wounds. Audrey is an 18-year-old girl living in the UK, struggling with dyslexia and dealing with an alcoholic mother. She needs a little time away and decides to spend the summer in Paris working and trying to figure out who she is. A chance encounter brings these two women together and they forge an incredible friendship. Even though over 20 years apart in age there is so much respect, trust, and love between Grace and Audrey.

Grace and Audrey were both tremendously likable and relatable. They were both vulnerable and kind people who you would love to be friends with. I was rooting for both of them the entire book. Wanting them to find themselves and discover their inner strength. I also wanted both of them to realize that they were amazing and worthy! There is also some romance in this book... a little sweet, a little steamy, a little swoony! The thing I liked most about the romance is that it played a backseat to the friendship and the character growth in the story. I mean I love the love, but I also like women to stand strong on their own! The ending left me a bit conflicted. Part of it I absolutely loved, part of it I found a bit unbelievable, and part of it didn’t necessarily sit well with me. But just like when a good friend makes a choice you don’t necessarily agree with you get over it and support them. That’s how I feel about the book, didn’t necessarily agree with something that happened at the end, but I still absolutely adored the story and absolutely recommend! I will definitely read everything that Sarah Morgan writes going forward!

*** many thanks to Harlequin for my copy of this book ***
To celebrate their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, Grace had planned to surprise David with a trip to Paris only to find out he actually wants a divorce. Refusing to grieve the loss of her marriage, Grace decides to go on the trip alone. There, she meets a young woman, Audrey, who has escaped her own struggles in London. Audrey is staying above the bookshop where she has secured a job, yet she’s having a hard time being in a country where she doesn’t speak French. When Grace and Audrey’s paths cross, they don’t realize the effect that the two women will have on each other. Grace’s normally ordered and carefully planned life mixed with Audrey’s spontaneous and outspoken nature creates a friendship that they both didn’t realize they needed.

I initially thought this book was going to be a contemporary romance set in Paris yet, while there was some romance, it was definitely more about the friendship between the two women. In a sort of “odd couple” kind of way, the two women could not be any more different: by geography, age and personalities. They both were so accustomed to what they knew and how to be that they didn’t initially realize what they were missing, the other actually provided. The development of this friendship was so wonderful to see unfold, surpassing age differences and perceived social standings.

With the romantic relationships, some felt a bit quickly introduced and paired off but boy were some of them swoony and others more infuriating. I felt conflicted with how charmed and disappointed I was with a particular character but I think it served its purpose to illustrate a bigger lesson. I did find, however, that some of the turning points in the novel felt a little bit repetitive. Every time something was about to happen, a phone call would come through to derail the story with some urgent matter. It worked to propel the narrative along, but I wished that it wasn’t the same plot device every time.

All that being said, I still really enjoyed this novel. I loved that a bookshop features so prominently in the story. I loved the vivaciousness of Grace’s grandmother, Mimi. This was more than a love story between a man and a woman. It was a love story between friends & family, past lovers and a book store carrying so much history.
I am ALL about reading summer themed books at the moment, so when I discovered One Summer in Paris by Sarah Morgan, I knew I would have to add it to my reading list! I have had a few of Sarah’s books on my TBR for a while now, but have not had the opportunity to read them yet, and One Summer in Paris sounded like a great place to start!

First of all, reading this book totally made me want to visit Paris. (Something I hope to do, one day, if I can get over my fear of flying!) The setting for the book was one of my most favorite things. Sarah did a great job of describing Paris, and I could picture it clearly in my mind. I do wish that the characters had visited more places throughout the story, but I loved the places they did visit. (Hopefully I will get to as well one day!)

Another thing I really enjoyed about this book was the characters. The story is told from a couple of different ladies’ viewpoints, which I enjoyed, and though each lady was from different age groups, I still managed to relate with each of them. (I love when that happens!) I think I related to Graces story the most, and I enjoyed watching her character grow over the course of the story.

Overall; One Summer in Paris is a quick, interesting read, and it was just the book I needed to kick off my summer reading list! I am definitely now excited to read more of Sarah’s books, and I do believe I will be checking out How to Keep a Secret and the From Manhattan with Love series soon!

Happy Reading!
Grace is a PLANNER. She takes care of every little detail, believing that in doing so, she’s helping. That she’s showing her love. Imagine, then, her shock when she plans a romantic 25th-anniversary getaway to Paris on the very night that her husband asks for a divorce. Much to her own surprise, she decides to go to Paris on her own.

Meanwhile, over in England, Audrey finds herself struggling. Her pain is a bit different from Grace’s but no less significant. Young enough to be Grace’s mother, Audrey is both an old soul and a youthful burst of freshness. When she and Grace meet, it’s a wonderful moment. Grace, who has carefully plotted her life to within the second, finds herself rescued by Audrey.

There is a third POV, that of Grace’s grandmother. The mystery surrounding her is not as satisfactory as Grace and Audrey’s perspectives, but she is the force behind Grace going to Paris and, later, Grace’s realization and acceptance of something important in her life.

Sarah Morgan always writes love stories that make you feel good. This one feels a little more angsty at times, but that’s not a complaint. Audrey’s back story is sad, and her escape to Paris feels a little desperate at times, a little forlorn, a little hopeful. Claire, meanwhile, discovers herself in a way. She reconnects with someone from her past, which helps her remember who she was before she had to plan everything.

Ultimately, this is a story of forgiveness. Both Audrey and Claire (and Claire’s grandmother) have to forgive themselves and their loved ones. The steps they take to get there make this a wonderful book to read.
One Summer in ParisI received this book from NetGalley and its publisher. This review is my own opinion and is not influenced by others.

One Summer in Paris by Sarah Morgan is the story of two women. Each woman goes about their lives not knowing anything about the other until their worlds come together in Paris.

Grace is from Connecticut. She has a husband and a teenage daughter, Sophie. She enjoys seeing her grandmother Mimi in the assisted living facility. She is a happy woman who is looking forward to celebrating 25 years of married life. For their anniversary Grace wants to surprise her husband with a trip to Paris for a month. Before she able to share her news, however, her husband tells her that he is in love with someone else and he wants a divorce. Grace decides to take the trip anyway.

Audrey Hackett lives in London but wants to move to France. Her mother, an alcoholic was always difficult to live with, so Audrey wants to leave. Her mother has found herself in a new relationship. This helps Audrey make her move.

The two meet and soon a new friendship is formed.

I liked the two main characters and the book was very fun to read. Sarah Morgan was able to create two different characters who seem to mesh very well. Each one helped the other to grow and to face their fears.

I rate this book very high.