One Summer in Paris

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 May 2019

Another great book by Sarah Morgan!  As always with her books I was hooked from the start and finished it in record time.  A fun story, bit of drama, famly love, pains of growing old.
This was a sweet book about romance and friendship. The main character, Grace is stunned when her husband asks for a divorce on their 25th anniversary. She has a month long trip to Paris planned for them and instead of canceling, she goes on her own. There she meets Audrey an 18 year old from London with her own problems. The two become unlikely friends helping each other become stronger and deal with each of their pasts.
The story is predictable and there are a lot of coincidences, some of them a little over the top to believe.
This is a great story. It deals with friendship, betrayal, love I really like this authors writing style. I will definitely be reading more from her.
This book tells the story of Grace and Audrey and all the people their lives touch in one summer. While Grace is a mature 47 and Audrey is only 18, they share a lot in common. Their paths merge for one summer and they are able to help each other immensely to become the women they were meant to be.
This book was lovely! It is all about love and all the emotions that surround it.
I love how both Grace and Audrey need to find out who they truly are. It’s neat that Sarah Morgan explores the concept that this self discovery comes at different times for different people.
I think this would be a good book club book as it explores so many relationships and the idea that we help each other as we need it and friendship is a lot of give and take and propping each other up. Audrey at one point says the friend with the greater crisis takes precedence. What an awesome way to look at friendship.
The book is well worth a read! Thank you to the author, publisher and NetGalley for the free ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book! This book is mostly set in Paris and follows the lives of middle aged Grace and teenager Audrey. They form an unlikely friendship and support for each other. I was a little surprised at the ending of Grace's story but still could understand it. The themes of forgiveness and letting people in are definitely embedded in the story. I love the switching of their view points to move the story along. It was very difficult to stop reading sometimes (darn life...getting in the way!). Sarah Morgan is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. More please!
This is a sweet book and what I would categorize as a gentle read. Good for the beach or for those who read to relax and don’t want anything too emotional or thought provoking. Many middle aged woman could recognize themselves in the main character Grace. She finds herself again but is a little too quick to forgive in my opinion. Audrie the other main character is a good foil for Grace. She finds herself for the first time. The plot offers no real surprises and like a sitcom wraps up the loose ends rather quickly at the end of the book. Perhaps a little too neatly. There were some contextual issues that need some edits. Grace as an American would never say “rung” in terms of making a phone call. She would say “call”.
This is a wonderful story about Family, friendship, betrayal, forgiveness and love. I really enjoyed the story and like this author's style. I've read a couple others from her and plan on reading more. Audrey is a very likable character who finds herself in a position she never expected to be in. And thus begins her journey to an eventful summer in Paris. Along the way the friendship that happens between her and 18 year old Grace, however unlikely, is simply heartwarming and very therapeutic for both of them.
Grace is happy with her life. After 25-years of marriage, she’s still madly in love her husband. They live in a small, East Coast town where they’ve known everyone for years. Their daughter, Sophie, is ready to head off to college on the West Coast next fall. Grace spends her days teaching at a local school and a French course to her grandmother and other senior citizens at an elderly facility. For her and her husband’s 25th anniversary, Grace decided to buy them a month-long vacation to none other than France. Grace hasn’t been there since she was 18, where she created lifelong memories, so she’s excited for her husband to experience the city of love with her.

She can’t wait to tell him, but at their anniversary dinner, Grace is blindsided. Her husband isn’t excited about the trip whatsoever and tells Grace he wants a divorce. Grace’s put-together life is shattered in an instant and now she is left unsure of what to do. With her daughter traveling Europe for the summer and her husband spending his days with his mistress, Grace thinks she has nothing to lose—she’s going to go to Paris and enjoy this once-in-a-lifetime experience solo.

Across the Atlantic in London, 18-year old, Audrey, is itching to graduate high school so she can finally leave the nest. Audrey doesn’t like to complain, but her circumstances are far from ideal. Her dad passed away years earlier and her mom is a functional alcoholic, jumping from relationship to relationship, never being a proper mom to Audrey.

But once she finishes school, Audrey will be free to live her life without the responsibility of taking care of her mom. She’s been saving money from her weekend job for the past 5 years as an “escape fund.” Audrey decides to travel to Paris, get a job there for the summer and leave her dismal life behind her.

Audrey and Grace meet each other on one fateful evening. Grace was headed to the bookshop her grandmother always talked about and Audrey happened to be working there. As it turns out, Audrey needed to learn French in order to work at the bookstore and the salon, where she also got a job, and Grace happens to be an excellent teacher. Grace’s romantic vacation for one has been rather lonely, so she offers to teach Audrey French. Not only will Grace have some company, but Audrey will avoid getting fired if she can speak French properly.

Grace and Audrey strike up an unlikely friendship. Although they are decades apart in age, they have a lot in common. They’ve both experienced similar childhoods and they can relate in many ways. They were expecting to be completely alone in Paris, but their solo vacations turned out to be not so lonely when they found each other. And their travels turned into a journey of self-discovery for them both.

One Summer in Paris is Sarah Morgan’s newest release. It’s a sweet story about friendship, independence, and opening yourself up to new experiences. I thoroughly enjoyed the two main characters, Audrey and Grace. Although they weren’t close in age, they were struggling with very similar hardships. Their relationship was heartwarming and I enjoyed seeing them both blossom into new individuals by the end of the book. Sarah Morgan has a way of writing that makes me feel like I know her characters, and thus I feel attached to them, not wanting the book to end. This is the perfect summer read, especially if you’re like me and have always wanted to travel to Paris. Another winning book from Sarah Morgan! 4/5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley, HQN and Sarah Morgan for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This was a really great story.  It started out reminding me a bit of Under the Tuscan Sun with the surprise divorce request and the exotic locales.  Then we meet Audrey and read a wonderful story of an unlikely friendship.  I would recommend for fans of Susan Mallery and Kristan Higgins.
One Summer in Paris by author Sarah Morgan is an amazing story sweeping you off to Paris and to new relationships forged.

With her unique heartwarming style, Sarah Morgan crafts the unraveling of a marriage with brutal, unflinching honesty. The genius is in how she stitches together the perfect ending. This is one beautiful story.

Highly recommended to readers.
Amazing story about friendship, family and forgiveness. Life is is hard at best and Sarah shows that support can come from the unlikliest of places and when you least expect it.
This is one of those novels that you'll read again and again, becoming a guilty pleasure whenever you want a lazy afternoon.
The relationships we forge can last a lifetime especially those connected through the most unusual of circumstances.
Here we have a relationship between Audrey a 40 yo recently single living within the confines of marriage and her neighbor 18 yo Grace whose a misfit living life on the wilder side.
Now Audrey confirms that her husband of 25 yrs seeks divorce all while she's on the verge of celebrating their anniversary alone in Paris.
How did they get here and can they go back or do they even want to relive their pasts?
So much is learned as the story builds to an amazing climax all while friendships are strengthened between young and old.
We can all learn so much from one another even through the most bitter sweet moments .
A lovely read that I highly recommend.
Thank you to Sarah , the publisher, NetGalley, and Aldiko for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
I absolutely and completely found One Summer in Paris to be so delightful at times, thoughtful at others and in its entirety, captivating and absorbing. Two women, one a teen and the other middle age, find a balanced and loving friendship at a time when both are struggling with painful circumstances in their lives. Both young Audrey and older Grace have come to Paris to escape the messes that are their lives. The beauty of the story is that they each offer the other the answers, the trust and the reliance they both so desperately need and long for.
This is an excellent, do no miss book!
Woven like a fine tapestry. A story of love, betrayal and family. Friendship plays a very important role in this sweeping saga as it does in life.
Riveting and wonderful. I loved it.
Fabulous story about friendship!  It was a very well written story about two women and how their new friendship developed and grew into a special relationship. I could not put this down !
I really enjoyed One Summer in Paris. I picked this book because I thought it was going to be a romance but it turned out to be so much more than that. It became a coming of age story. It  reminded me that everyone needs a family. Everyone needs someone to look out for them.

I thought Sarah Morgan did a great job with the family dynamic. I wish there had been a little more Paris in the book but maybe it was left out so not to distract the reader.

I loved Grace and Audrey. I loved the dynamic of these two unlikely friends. I loved they were both trying to find out who they were in Paris.

Thank you @NetGalley and HQN for this ARC of One Summer in Paris.
Unfortunately this book missed the mark for me. I was very excited to start after reading the synopsis of the novel. As I started reading it took some time to get used to the floor of the book.  It was a bit slow but after getting to know the characters a little more and the story I was able to get into the novel.... about midway though I  just wasn't as interested in the book and hard to keep up. This was a DNF for me.
Do yourself a favor and take time off to immerse yourself in Paris with Grace and Audrey.  Grace leaves for Paris after he pr husband of 25 years tells her he is having an affair and wants to leave the marriage.  Audrey is desperate to leave her alcoholic Mom and start over, as she suffers from lack of confidence due to her dyslexia.  The two meet as Grace is being mugged, and a friendship forms between this forty something woman and an 18 year old Audrey which helps both rebuild their lives.  Highly recommend.
This is a wonderful tale of two women who are at a crossroads in their lives and who find each other, befriend one another, and help each other move on, forward, and passed their pasts.

Grace Porter has planned a wonderful surprise 25th wedding anniversary for her husband David: a summer in Paris. He has his own surprise for the special day as well – he announces he is leaving Grace, leaving their marriage, and leaving their life together. When he suggests she sell him her ticket and travel arrangements so he can take his much younger girlfriend, Grace decides to go on the trip alone.

In Paris she meets 18 year old Audrey – a girl the same age as Grace’s daughter who is working for the summer at a Paris bookshop and trying to run away from her own horrible home life with her alcoholic mother.

The two of them form a tenuous friendship that turns into a deeper one as each helps the other struggle through their own demons and decide what it is they each want in – and out of – life.

This book was filled with so many emotional layers and the characters were so wonderfully drawn and fully appreciated. The subtle plot twists and secondary characters added to the sense that these two women were going to each discover what they truly wanted to do with their futures during their summer in Paris.

Sarah Morgan has given her readers another reason to love her! ONE SUMMER IN PARIS is a lovely read. Thank you to Netgalley and HQN for allowing me a sneak peak at an arc for an honest opinion of the work. In a word, this book is delightful.