Beautiful Bad

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Mar 2019

An intriguing thriller that kept me turning the pages! Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for providing an advanced reading copy.
I found this book easy to read, although it did take me a while to fathom out how the characters were linked and where the story was going. The story goes between different time periods which doesn't follow any logical order which builds up to the unexpected twist at the ending. The character development and relationships between them was good. It starts with a 911 call where a detective is called to a home in Meadow lark, Kansas which is full of blood. Diane, the detective, enters the house as she fears for the life of a child who is inside.
The story then takes us to the friendship of 2 American women called Jo- a charity worker and Maddie- a journalist working in Macedonia. They meet a British bodyguard- Ian and Maddie falls in love with him. This story explores Ian's  life in the military and his struggles with PTSD and his relationships. Maddie has a baby called Charlie and she knows she must do whatever it takes to protect him, but how far is she willing to go?
Oh my god! I can’t believe it took me so long to read this book. I was instantly gripped, it had me feeling uneasy the entire time, and I read it in one day - the perfect thriller! Although you know someone is dead and you know all of the main characters have serious issues, you don’t guess what’s happened until you’re told. A very excellent book that would also make a brilliant film, I’m sure.
A 911 call sends the police to Maddie and Ian’s neighborhood to signs of a shocking, violent scene.

The story then goes back a few weeks before the 911 call and tells of the events leading up to that devastating day.

Told from various time lines it builds the picture, the investigation and the characters….Ian is definitely a bit damaged by PTSD, Maddie has pretty much lost contact with her best friend, Jo too. Why?

Just how did Maddie get injured? And what caused the dreadful events? Overall an intriguing thriller.

Thank you to the publishers, the author and NetGalley for a free copy of the ebook. This is my honest and unbiased review.
Well, this book was certainly different! I thought it was going to be a behind closed doors sort of book, with a perfect marriage on the outside looking in. I was wrong! It features some quite tough war scenes, with the main character being a PTSD sufferer - so I’d say be mindful if this sort of thing distresses you - some scenes are somewhat graphic. The whole story is rather disturbing to be honest. I thought I had it all figured out but the ending had me shocked! I do wish the characters were more ‘likeable’ because I found myself not really caring who died.
Well done to Annie Ward for highlighting the struggles that military staff have regarding PTSD - appears to have researched well and aimed to give an accurate account and understanding.
A well written book with an interesting plot.
Switch in time was well tackled and drew me into reading on.
This is a modern thriller. I did not like the characters or storyline. I read some and skipped to the end.
This was a very complex psychological thriller which had me involved from beginning to end. Unexpected twists and turns and a great read.
Now, this is what you call a psychological thriller. Intense, fraught, fast-paced and gripping to keep you guessing right up until the chilling end. I enjoyed this from the first page until the last, I will admit that there are times it came across far-fetched, but it wasn't over sickly to the point of disbelief. A great novel and a great writer that I hope to read more of in the future.
Good storytelling, well developed and drawn out plot. It's definitely a slow burner type of plot, very much character driven. Some really good twists at the end.
I enjoyed this book but it was obvious who was the one lying on the floor. Flipping between past and present was confusing at times but i5 was a quick read. Would make goos beach reading
Beautiful Bad was a highly intriguing, slow-burning and suspenseful read with plenty of surprising twists. I was invested in the finely drawn, credible characters and the dynamics among the main characters kept me glued to the pages. This well-written psychological thriller was not only plot-driven but definitely character-driven, as well.

The totally gripping story was full of secrets, lies, friendships and darker themes of abuse and murder and I think the title could not have been any more appropriate. Annie Ward really nailed it with Beautiful Bad and this fantastic thriller should not be missed!

I received a complimentary digital copy of this novel, at my own request, from Park Row Books via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
I was so confused with the swapping between the past and the present  that I gave up on the book and didn't finish it
Wonderful twist to the end.. Not what I expected as I followed Maddie's sessions in therapy and what we discovered about her, her marriage, and her husband.
It seems very clear that Ian is suffering from PTSD from his time in the army and is unstable as a result. And as the story progresses, you begin to wonder about Maddie's injury. Just how did she get it? Who was involved? Was it Ian?
And the therapist seems so helpful, but rather unprofessional but Maddie finds her useful to help her process her thoughts and emotions.
What a lovely book. I loved the way the book lets you travel through time around the world. Beautiful characters with such deep secrets and troubles. A compelling read.
I love books where you’re really not sure who to like. This is one of them.

Dark, twisty and psychologically challenging, this is a really well-told story with complex characters and a satisfying ending. Loved it.
What a brilliant read, twist and turns from start to finish and an end I never saw coming, this book has kept me up at night and late for work
A good story, but again, I wasn't surprised. I like to do a bit of guesswork and dislike being told what's happening, why, and how the characters feel. i much prefer to be given dialogue and action.
Anyone who enjoys a thriller that is interwoven with relationships, friendship, marriage, love, betrayal, and mystery will adore this book. Well written, with a smooth plot full of twists, I think I was supposed to hate the characters and be unsure of them but somehow I still ended up liking them! A fantastic portrayal of human weakness, frustration, love and lust.
Brilliant. I throughly enjoyed it throughout. Plot and ending are both fabulous. Great holiday read.