Cribsheet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 May 2019

I really enjoyed Oster's first book "Expecting Better" and I wish this book had been out when I had my son! It was a lot of information I already knew but would have really appreciated reading in the moment. She is very well researched so it's somewhat of a "boring' book but I love the information and statistics. It was harder to read in Kindle form with the graphs and I look forward to buying a hard copy when it comes out!
I loved Emily Oster's first book, Expecting Better, was an eye-opening look at pregnancy and definitely made me a calmer pregnant person. Cribsheet covered the fun of parenting not with anecdotes, but with statistics and data. I recommend this book to any parent who wants to be entertained while they learn some great tips!
I am so happy a book like this exists to break down the scientific evidence to help overwhelmed new parents who are constantly bombarded with conflicting information and opinions masquerading as facts.

The author explains what makes a good study, why sample size and randomness as important, and other guidelines that will help the reader critically assess scientific studies they encounter in the press. Teaching critical thinking skills is very important and deciphering media bias and scientific case studies is a challenge we could all use guidance with.

That said, I felt the chapters weren't organized well and led to some confusion at times. Since the audience is sleep-deprived new parents it's clear there needs to be some tweaking to edit down the sheer volume of words or make it more concise. I think with some final editing for clarity this can be a 5 star book.
This book is full of accessible information about issues related to parenting babies and toddlers.
This book is great! So good to have a follow up to Expecting Better. I recommended this to all my pregnant friends. Really breaks down the pros and cons of all the confusing Mommy war banter.
Perfect primer for first time moms overwhelmed trying to navigate and make decisions among all the well-intentioned advice.  Oster shares with parents what is worth stressing over and what you should ignore in the first few hours, days, months, and even years after birth.  She has compiled the research but more helpfully interprets and analyzes the data to give parents peace of mind that they can make the most informed decision for their circumstances.  I suspect most readers will feel satisfaction that they haven't royally screwed up their infant.  Perfect for new parents of fans of Freakonomics!