The Reader

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

The book cover will definitely catch your eye.  I was leery of starting a book with so little information on the contents but decided to try it.  I'm really glad I did.  This book bridges several genres.  I'm definitely not a YA but I still enjoyed it.  Pretty quick read, nothing to upset any one looking for a PG13 story.  It made me go look up the author's other books.  Adding to my TBR pile!
Such a wonderful story that drew me in from the beginning! I loved the society built by the author and really enjoyed Ann's journey! There was the perfect mix of action, drama, and romance. I look forward to reading book 2 in this excellent series!!
I received a copy of this book for a fair and honest review. This was a new author for me so I was not sure what I would be getting myself into at all. I remember reading the description of this book and wondering if I would enjoy it. I decided to take the chance on it. The FMC Ann is a unique character and she wakes up in the water and she is not sure what is going on since she does not have any memories and she has to rely on others since she is confused. She is taken to place and told that she is a very powerful mindreader. She is trying to heal and she is wondering if she is safe and if there is more betrayal on the way.
The cover and premise of this book drew me in, proving again that I am definitely influenced by covers.  The beginning of the book opens with the MC basically running for her life, and is picked up by two strangers on a beach. She has no memory of who she is or how she got there and she willingly goes with them because they just happen to be the ones not shooting at her. As a reader, I felt lost and confused over the opening chapters and didn't know what was happening and why which was frustrating to me. She finally gets to a person who can reveal both to her and a reader what is going on, there are 3 warring factions with different abilities (like mind reading) one is thought to be extinct. While the plot is a fascinating idea, the execution didn't have enough substance to keep me hooked. I sadly, did not finish.

Thank you for the eARC of this book to provide an honest review.
MK Harkins is a new author that I look forward to reading more in the future. The character development and world building are above par. The plotline pulled me in from the first chapter, and the twist and turns kept me intrigued. The minute you think you have it all figured out, it changes, and you are forced to rethink everything.
This was a likeable book but I was expecting more. However I did like this.

My thanks to Netgalley for an eARC in exchange for my honest feedback.
I received this via netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I loved it guys. This book was just what I wanted It to be. I loved the world. The characters were very well flushed out. I loved the plot of this. I can not wait to read more by this author. I highly recommend this book.
A young woman wakes up on a beach, a lone, shot and with no memory of being shot or who shot her or why. She doesn’t even know who she is or where she came from. But she is lucky in that she is rescued by two young men whom take her back with them to their home deep in the mountains.
She soon learns that the people at the compound where Devon and Archer have taken her know who and what she is. Little by little she finds out her name where she is from and why she is being hunted.
Her name is Ann and she soon figures out that something or someone in the compound is just not quite right if only she could put her finger on it. Someone will soon betray her. Even though she can’t remember anything she still has a soft, kind heart and will do whatever it takes to keep the people she loves and cares for safe.
The Reader was a fast and enjoyable read but overall it didn't blow me away.
This book really is a mix between young adult and a little bit of sci-fi. Because of that last part, it wasn't really a book for me.

The writing style is very nice and it was absolutely easy to read.And if you like young adult sci-fi, this book is totally something for you
I really liked the premise of this book with her trying to piece together her memories and trying to understand who to trust. Although it was a decent read, something I do not regret picking up, I will probably not read again. Although the plot was engaging, the book fell through somewhere, maybe because it was so short?
In all, this was an interesting read, but not a favorite.
LOVE! Where has this book been hiding?!

Naturally, I was drawn in by the title. What reader wouldn't like a book about readers? Mind readers to be more pressie....

Ann is on a beach, shot, and with no idea what the heck happened to lead her to this point.

Two guys, Archer and Devon show up and take her to safety. Seems to be okay, after Ann calms down a little bit and they give her some information.

It isn't until they arrive to their hidden home, that things really picked up. Ann is all fixed up, learns about who and what she is. The history of readers, their gifts, their enemies, and the special reader.

There is one reader who is said to find their mate, be stronger than the rest, and be the key to starting a war.

Ann comes to realize, she is the reader that they've been waiting a long time for. It took her a while to figure it out. But once she and Devon connected...everything changed.

Suddenly, there is a trial, a murder, a friend betrays her, and her parents are still alive.

The second everything picked up the pace, everything changed. The whole book managed to drag me in deeper until the very last page. Many surprises that I didn't expect. But most of all, an amazing end comes to life.

A super amazing story for any and all readers!
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed reading this. An interesting story with fun characters. Well written.
An addicting read and if it wasn't for my body demanding sleep, I would have read it in one sitting. I enjoyed the premise but there were a few things that made me drop it from a 5 star to a 4, which was the pacing. The pacing overall was a bit off. It would span days then suddenly months had gone by, then days, then months. And then there was the romantic relationship. We are told about it and not shown. But even despite those things, it still pulled me into the story and the mystery of "The Lost One."
I was really surprised with this book - I was hooked from the beginning. I have never heard of the author, but the story she was telling was novel and not something that I have read before. Although the main storyline wasn't anything special (apart from the premise), the ending was not something I saw coming and it was a pleasing ending that left you wanting the read the next book
First, I have to say - this cover is GORGEOUS.The cover relayed so many emotions to me. There seems to be a blank slate staring at me, yet you can see pain and terror beneath that. I really went into with the hopes of something wonderful that I could share with my kiddos. Unfortunately, the book fell flat. The book was very predictable, and not in a good way. Several times the plot was one dimensional and lacked any kind of progress. The love triangle is a typical but poorly done. It slows down the plot to a nerve grating pace. There were times that I felt like it could turn itself around, but then the book hit a stalemate again. I did finish the novel, but I was very disappointed in the quality of story. This title was a 3/5 star read for me.
This book reminds me so much of when I used to read books on Wattpad. It had the whole "who will she end up with" feel to it. While I liked the nostalgia, this wasn't the book for me.

This book follows the main character, Ann, as she wakes up on a beach to two handsome men. She's then taken to a secret facility in a mountain complete with an in-mountain beach. There, she learns that she is a reader who is able to read minds.

This book has some really good elements. The plot is extremely well thought out complete with a history into the beginning of the readers. Everything that seems impossible is well explained which makes it a little more realistic.

However, a lot of the book revolves around Ann finding her love interest. This isn't bad for everyone, but it wasn't my ideal idea of a good read. However, 15 year-old me would have loved it.

Another interesting thing is that the readers tend to be as good-looking as their power is strong. Ann is extremely strong, so she is extremely "beautiful". It's interesting to read about the author's view of "beauty". In this case it's a 5'3" woman weighing in at 110 lbs. While not necessarily a bad thing, I did hate how much of this book revolved around physical attraction. Again, 15 year-old me might have liked this aspect, but not me now.

Because of the majority of this book revolving around physical looks and "who Ann will end up with" I wasn't a fan of this book. However, it's well-written and you may enjoy it. It just wasn't the book for me.
The story starts off strong with our heroine waking up on the beach with a gunshot wound and no prior memory, including her own name. She's quickly rescued by two guys, one "nice" and one "mean", who whisk her away to a mysterious compound where they claim they can help her regain her memories, and (of course) a love triangle ensues. Once at the compound she's told she is part of line of genetically mutated humans who can read the minds of non mutants, hence the title, The Reader. It's soon revealed that she may be "the lost one" who is the key to finally ending the war that has spanned millenniums between the two remaining types of mutants: Readers who read minds and Jacks who hijack bodies of non mutants.

This book pulled me in right away and kept me up late into the night to see how the story would end. The love triangle was predictable, and while some of the characters were so cliche it was laughable, they were also likable and kept me vested in the story. Insta-love's not really my thing but in this case I'll overlook that. I'm huge fan of sassy characters and this book had enough to keep me entertained.

I don't want to spoil anything but my main peeve was that we had all this build up for (in my opinion) an anticlimactic ending.

Overall I enjoyed this book and think it's worth recommending.
Seers, mind readers,and body jumpers oh my! If these are the types of things you are interested in dealing with fantasy novels then this book is for you. I give it a solid 4.5 stars. Very interesting story thats an open and shut case. You won't be left with a cliffhanger here although I would be very excited a prequel would be great. Half a star taken off for the jumps in time between chapters that seemed a little off. Would definitely recommend though.
*I received this book from Netgally in return for an honest review.

I finished this book in just two days. It was so amazing!

A young lady wakes up a lone, with a gun shot and no memory of being shot. No idea what has happened and no idea as to who shot her or why. She has no idea who she is or where she came from. She is rescued by two young men whom take her back with them to their home deep in the mountains.Little by little she finds out her name , where she is from and why she is being hunted.Her name is Ann. Someone will soon betray her. Even though she can’t remember anything, she will do whatever it takes to keep the people she loves and cares for safe.

Little by little she finds out her name where she is from and why she is being hunted.Her name is Ann. Someone will soon betray her. Even though she can’t remember anything, she will do whatever it takes to keep the people she loves and cares for safe.

This was a fast and great read it grabbed me right from the first page and never let go until the last page. I loved all the characters and the world that they lived in. Ann was one tough cookie who could fight as well or better than any man.

If you have not read The Reader then I would like to suggest that you do as well. If you like reading a story filled with suspense, intrigue and lots of twist and turns then this is the book for you!
Loved it!
It was very intriguing, I wish there was more to it because I really enjoyed some of the characters.
Unfortunately, it was a tad predictable at times.