Daisies and Devotion

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 May 2019

What a delightful followup to Promises and Primrose.  While this book is a stand alone book, you will find a few of the characters from the first book intermingled in this book.

Love could be hard to find especially if you aren't sure what you are looking for in a potential spouse...OR your ideas were so off base and crazy that it kept you from realizing what is right in front of you.  This was Timothy's case.  He has this long list of characteristics that he thinks he wants in a spouse until he meets that perfect woman and realizes that just maybe his dream woman comes in another form.

Maryann is a bit older than the other debutantes and has the luxury of not having to settle for just any man that comes her way that doesn't appreciate or love her for her.  She is very grounded and that helps her in seeking out a potential suitor.  She is even clever enough to have her maid, Lucy, snoop around and find out information about those suitors - are they who they portray to her?  Lucy is on the case and find out things for Maryann that she may not have learned otherwise and it helps her in a few situations.

This was a delightful read.  I enjoyed all of the characters and their interactions with one another.  Donna the protective older sister, and Uncle Elliott who has the answer to Timothy's marriage issues are two that stand out to me.  Times were very different during that time period and what men and women went through to find the right match might make your head spin, especially since the women had to have a chaperone!  Despite all that, Timothy and Maryann form a friendship that is the foundation for so much more if Timothy would open his eyes.  My heart broke a little for Maryann when a certain gentleman wasn't who he portrayed himself to be to her.  What a cad!  But as the story unfolded, both Timothy and Maryann realized that sometimes the heart knows what it wants and won't settle for less.

If you are in the mood for a historical romance, this is a good choice!  We give it 5 paws up.
I so enjoy everything I read from Josi S. Kilpack, but her audiobooks are an even better treat!
Timothy Mayfield has been open and honest with Maryanne Morrington from the get-go. He needs to marry well and she’s his choice. But when his circumstances change, he’s free to find his ideal woman. As Maryanne introduces him to society ladies who meet the criteria on his list, Timothy finds fault with all of them.

The friendship these two have formed often falls into rock territory and it takes them a bit to get back on solid ground, all while Marianne struggles to hide (and at one point overcome) the love she carries for Timothy.

Daisies and Devotion is a testament to love knowing no bounds, unconstrained by plans and checklists, and best grown when rooted in friendship. Kilpack once again delivers a book that I couldn’t put down.

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books from publishers, publicists, and/or authors, including NetGalley. I am not required to write positive reviews. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.
This was another great story by this author. I felt like it was realistic with how dense a guy can be at times, not seeing what was right in front of him. I loved that he was trying to get the impossible “perfect woman”. His specifications were hilarious. Many times I laughed out loud at how H kept offending h. But he always learned from his mistakes so it was enjoyable to read, seeing how both characters transformed and matured. The storyline wasn’t rushed so it felt really natural reading how they fell in love and found their HEA.
London  -  1822

Maryann Morrington, age 22, is in London to begin her delayed season.  She has been at home for the last 5 years caring for her ailing mother who passed away some months ago.  She loved her mother dearly and was happy to be the one to care for her.  Maryann is an heiress with a large dowry.

Timothy Mayfield is a friend of Lucas, the husband of Deborah who is sister to Maryann.  Lucas has suggested that Timothy call upon Maryann.  In addition, word has spread that Maryann is a wealthy young woman which is what Timothy seeks.

When they meet, they seem to get along but Timothy tells her he is in need of a wealthy wife and lists the qualifications he is looking for which are totally counter to Maryann.  She likes his honesty and tells him she will help him find a woman with the attributes that he desires.

In the meantime, Timothy is summoned by his Uncle Elliott who informs him that he will bestow a goodly sum of money and land upon him when Timothy marries a woman of whom Elliott approves.  Timothy is delighted because his funds are very limited.

As Timothy and Maryann meet up at soirees, she introduces him to young ladies and a Miss Shaw turns out to be the one who ticks all of his boxes.  Yet, the friendship between Timothy and Maryann becomes more than that and they both wonder at what to make of it.

This is a very good story with two delightfully, strong characters, both of whom have a great sense of humor.  The descriptions of the events are sumptuous, and the plot is well-written.  I have always enjoyed Josi Kilpack’s books and look forward to more from her.

Copy provided by NetGalley and Edelweiss in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I have developed a real fondness for Proper Romance and Josi S Kilpack never disappoints.  This is the second book in this series and it manages to be both completely different and equally as enjoyable as the first.  The author creates real female leads, they are intelligent, competent and not perfect.  I really liked Maryann, the lead in this book and could relate to her a lot.  Timothy, the male lead, was annoying at first but I warmed to him over the course of the book much like Maryann.  Also, the end setting of the book, without giving it away, was one of the best.  Can't wait for the next one!
Oh, I loved this book so much. What a sweet little love story. Can't wait to continue this fun series of proper romances. I preferred this book to the first one and absolutely adored the characters and their interactions with one another. It reminded me so much of my beloved Edenbrooke, and not just because the main character's name is also Maryann. This was so special and wonderful.
Maryann and Timothy have such tremendous growth from the beginning to end of this story, it's such a beautiful journey. I got a little frustrated at how clueless Timothy was at some points, but it was worth it. This is the second book in the series and while it can be read as a standalone, it's definitely more enjoyable if you read them in order, especially as previous characters come into this story as well. A charming and unexpected romance, based on friendship.
I didn't quite know what to think about Maryann and Timothy at first- she seemed without personality and he appeared to be a light headed dandy. It made me curious, and I absolutely loved getting to know them as aspects of their personalities unfolded and characteristics were revealed. Their friendship is unique in that they are completely upfront with each other- blunt almost to a fault. They appreciate the honesty in each other... until feelings get hurt. Unrequited love is one of my favorite tropes because it has such a strong element of longing. Maryann is a lovely friend and does want Timothy's happiness, even at the expense of her own. He had to experience for himself the value of her devotion in contrast to the empty fantasy, and the final scenes in the book are oh-so-sweet and a wonderful give and take in their complex relationship. Highly recommend!!!

(I received a complimentary copy of the book; all opinions in this review are my own)
You won’t want to miss this new Proper Romance book!  It is the second book in the Mayfield Family Regency collection from Josi Kilpack. I loved revisiting this cute family and the Uncle who masterminds it all.  I really enjoyed the banter between Timothy and Maryann. It has me laughing out loud, and shaking my head for them at times.  It was lighthearted and such a great read!  Make sure you look for this new collection, Promises and Primroses and Daisies and Devotions!  I can’t wait to read more!
A laugh out loud, witty, Regency romance. Timothy and Maryann, friends through a family connection, are both determined to find a match during the London season. Timothy has a list of characteristics of his perfect woman and Maryann, knowing she’s the exact opposite, is set on proving that no such woman exists. Their blatant honesty with each other stems from the privilege of being friends and gets them into trouble with each other more often than not. They set out to help the other find the best match and inevitably end up trampling toes and feelings. I love the banter between all of the characters. A thoroughly enjoyable, highly recommended, clean, Regency romance.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
#DaisiesAndDevotions #NetGalley

This is the second book in the Mayfield Family series, and i enjoyed it every bit as much as the first book. Timothy Mayfield, has decided to settle for a wife, who has a fortune, but when his uncle gives him an offer he can't refuse; Timothy realizes that he can have his choice, of any of the young women of the ton. Maryann has fallen for Timothy but she is not the lady who meets his list requirements. She doesn't fit the mold of the perfect wife.  What a great book!
I really enjoyed this second book of the Mayfield family. Timothy was at times adorable but tended to stick his foot in his mouth quite often. Maryanne was brave in her attempt to try and find a match for Timothy, who she loved.
They were both stubborn in regards to each other but they both needed time to grow.
(5 stars) - an Austen worthy heroine

I love female protagonists who are strong & confident without being aggressive. Who are intelligent enough to value virtue over intelligence. Who know how to deal with others effectively. Anne Elliot in Jane Austen's "Persuasion" is an excellent example.

Maryann is much like Anne. She's not a perfect heroine, yet still presents an ideal. She has an idea of her flaws & weaknesses in terms of how others may see her, yet she is confident enough in her capability and her own worth not to compromise or sell herself to a man for social pretense.

Timothy, on the other hand, is like a big puppy, lol. He's cute, friendly, playful & means well, but is also impulsive & a little clueless. This serves his character well as he makes some really hurtful mistakes but he's so sweetly earnest that forgiveness comes easily.

Watching the interplay between the two as their friendship develops is fun. They share a witty comraderie that is very entertaining.

Maryann's eventual temptation to retreat in despair is quietly heartbreaking, but rescue comes so unexpectedly that she almost misses it in her disbelief.

The ending is delightful. And left me wanting to go spend some time on the beach with my own sweetheart.

Clean romance level:  sweet kisses
This story was a typical regency romance but what brought it to life was the two main characters. Maryann is at 22 a little old for the season. She has inherited money and is worried that she will be pursued not for herself but for her money. She feels she is very plain and is open and honest in her speech. Timothy begins the season looking for a wealthy mate as he has class but no money. Then his rich uncle informs him that if Timothy marries someone he approves of then he will give him a house in London and monies. Timothy and Maryann have developed a honest, open friendship; and she determines she will assist him in finding the perfect mate that ticks all of the boxes of his "list."
The story has a predictable ending, but the road to getting there is filled with fun, laugher, romance, and hurt feelings.

The depth of the characters made this a much more enjoyable read than the typical regency romance. The writing was well done. Even though this was the second in the series, it read well as a stand alone as I had not read the first.

**I received a complimentary copy of this book from Shadow Mountain through NetGalley. Opinions are mine alone. I was not compensated for this review.
Wow!  I did not expect this book to be this good, to be honest. I’ve read Josi Kilpack before and enjoyed them, but this one has to be the best!  I fell in love with Timothy and related to Maryann and loved their story. The story was well written and engaging, the dialogue fun, and the romance sweet and sigh-worthy. I didn’t realize that this was the second book in a series (it works great as a stand-alone), but I’m now excited about trying the first one!  Definitely worth the read!

Rated PG for some mild adults themes (tactfully handled)
—no sexual content
—no language
—no violence

I was given a free copy of the ebook from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is the 2nd book in the Mayfield Family series, roughly concurrent with 1st novel.

Maryann Morrington is an heiress, not beautiful on the outside, but articulate, witty and thoughtful. Her beauty is inside her, where it really counts. Although she is tired of fortune hunters, she becomes enamored of Timothy Mayfield because he is honest upfront about his motivations.  Uncle Elliott's promise of a future financial boon, however, causes Timothy to redirect his search for a rich wife to one he considers "perfect", blonde, beautiful, willowy and accomplished, all the things Maryann is not. He even makes a list of desirable attributes. At this point, he appears to be nothing more than a shallow, inconsiderate oaf. Comparing Maryann's laugh to the braying of a donkey is NOT a tease, it's just cruel. Fortunately, as his character grows and matures, Timothy eventually learns what is truly important in life and marriage. Colonel Berkins's part in the story was interesting and I wish his eventual exit was expanded upon.

As always, Kilpack's writing is a joy to read. I look forward to the remaining books in the series. However, Harry seems almost irredeemable; his path to respectability is sure to be interesting.
Timothy Mayfield is an idiot. As the book opens, he knows he must marry a woman with a fortune but hopes to find a woman he likes as well. But when he meets Maryann Morrington, he doesn’t realize that he has met the woman for him. They have an easy and natural relationship. When Timothy’s uncle steps in with a financial assistance offer that means he can marry for love, he begins to seek the "perfect" woman and even shares his ridiculous list of requirements with poor Maryann, who meets none of them.

I felt very sorry for Maryann, as Timothy says mean things to her in the name of humor and is utterly, totally clueless. Still, (view spoiler) [when Timothy realizes that he loves Maryann, I didn’t quite believe how resistant she was to believing him.]  I was also disappointed that we did not get to see the uncle’s meeting with Maryann.

Still, I enjoy Josi Kilpack’s gentle stories with developed characters and interesting situations. I’m sure I’ll read book 3 when I comes along.

I read an advance reader copy of Daisies and Devotion from Netgalley.
I have read most of Josi Killacks regencies. This one was unique and I enjoyed it.

Timothy was a different type of gentleman. I loved his joyful personality and outlook on life. I did wonder why he never thought about making his own money. I guess there weren’t as many respectable options back then but that still struck me as odd.

Maryann was also not your typical looking debutante. I really liked her for her forwardness. She was also not willing to settle for anything less that love, or what might grow into love. She was a good person through and through.

This story was immersed in the London season which is always fun.

Content: clean romance

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for an honest review, all opinions are my own.
A perfectly enjoyable read, Daisies and Devotion brings all the emotion

Maryann embarks on her first season in London, hoping to find a suitable match.  Her average appearance and quick wit aren't as alluring as she would like.  But as an heiress, she soon realizes that most men see only her as a means to improve their fortune, caring little about who she really is.

Timothy Mayfield isn't any different, but at least he is forthright about his reason for seeking Maryann's company.
 As Timothy's future suddenly changes, he now has the advantage of choosing his bride regardless of her wealth. And Maryann doesn't fit any of his qualifications.

Timothy and Maryann become fast friends, but when one of them wants more from the relationship, things get complicated.

A story of  unrequited love,  I found myself commiserating with Maryann.  I think we've all found ourselves lacking in either style, beauty, grace, or character.  And throughout this book, she has those shortcomings brought to attention by the one she loves.  How heartbreaking it would be to feel like you just weren't enough.

I felt like I could relate to the characters in the book, and their personalities were deep enough to be believable.

I would definitely read this book again, and refer it to friends.
Josi Kilpack continues her new Mayfield Family series with book two and after reading the first book, I can tell you right now, this series will be fun and oh so romantic.

I thoroughly enjoyed the chemistry between Timothy and Maryann. I truly felt their deep friendship connection and once they clicked as a couple, I just couldn’t be happier for them.

This clean and heartwarming romance is filled with many funny and touching moments that will warm your toes and give you hope in everlasting love.

Melanie for b2b