Psalms - Everyday Bible Commentary

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Mar 2019

I'm a sucker for Bible commentaries.  I really enjoy reading books of Bible through the lens of another reader.  I especially enjoy reading about new insights, new points of view, new biblical connections, etc.  I've really enjoyed the books in the series "Everyday Bible Commentaries."  But this Psalms commentary is pretty worthless.  Reading this feels like I'm reading the mumbling of someone who doesn't really understand Psalms (or the bigger context of the biblical narrative).  The commentary is short, but heavy on explaining the outlines of the Psalms.  Personally,  I don't care much about outlining the Psalms.  When the commentary tried to talk about application, it was predictable and moralistic.  I'm pretty sure a Mormon or JW would agree with everything in this book.  I don't have a lot of patience for moralistic interpretation that leads to crappy application.  I spend a few hours of life with this book, and it just made me bitter.
Robert L. Alden presents an in-depth look at the Psalms, taking each Psalm verse by verse, relating the historical situation, its meaning, and commenting on its contemporary application. He also speaks of the various poetic structures employed by the Psalms and how they add meaning and depth to the message.

This is a thorough and excellent commentary for any reader wishing to know and understand more about one of the favorite books of the Bible. Though I have read the Psalms hundreds of times in my lifetime, this book helps me understand and appreciate each Psalm in new, fresh way.

I look forward to continuing my study of this commentary, and learning more about the Psalms I have always loved.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Moody Publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an unbiased review. All opinions expressed here are my own.
This is a brilliant companion for the book of Psalms. Not only does it give a religious insight, it will be useful for those looking at the Bible as a source of Wisdom. It could be recommended to A-Level students to read independently or used by the teacher to encorporate into lessons.
This is a great series and this is a great book. Because of the nature of the Psalms I would recommend, as the author does, to read this while you're reading the psalms. You will get more out of it, as the author explains the background of each Psalm and/or section and points to ways in which the Psalm was used in other parts of Scripture.
My goal for 2019 is to read the bible. Flipping through this book I can see that it will definitely help me to study and understand. I will be ordering these books for the branch library so that patrons will be able to study the Word too.
I was able to read Psalms-everyday bible commentary by Robert L. Aiden for free from Netgalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review; thank you netgalley and publishers for offering me this book!
The psalms are explained by providing the people, places related for each psalm.  This is great study guide to learn more about the psalms.  For those who want to understand and know more about the Psalm should get this book.
Psalms- Everyday Bible Commentary
By Robert L. Alden
There is so much information in this commentary of the Psalms I personally am a bit overwhelmed- in a good way. Each Psalms is broken down verse by verse.  The Psalms are dissected, giving translation meanings, context to the people and places being discussed, as well as perspective given on the construction of the Psalms and thoughts on the verses themselves. It is thorough study of the Psalms and if you have the time to read this with your Psalms I would suggest it for a fresh outlook and deeper understanding.