A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Mar 2019

This little comic was really educational and I loved the character designs of the sproutlings. It didn't teach me much more than I already know but I would definitely  put this book in the hands of someone ignorant about the subject of sexual and gender identities. This was written with such good intentions it warms my little genderqueer bisexual heart.
This is a story, told by a snail, to explain, in simple terms, queerness and transexuality.

But, I think the most important part of this whole story is this statement the snail makes.

Every person is worthwhile and valuable in their own way and if you are able to make some sort of peace with yourself while on your transitional journey that will definitely ease the burden.

Because, that is what it is all about. Really. We are all worthwhile, in our own ways, and we just are trying to make peace with ourselves.

The rest of the book, yes, is important, as it explains the various aspects of sexuality and gender, but really, we are all on a journey, trying to find ourselves, with others along the way.

I am so glad all these books are be coming available, and to have it in cartoon form, the more the better, the easier it is for everyone to understand the struggles that trans and queer folk are going through.

I would recommend this for schools and libraries.

Thanks to Netgalley for making this book available for an honest review.
Love the concept of this. I am all for LGBTQ+ representation and this book does its best to teach you that. However, while I found the concept great, I didn't like the artwork.
This is a great introduction to queer and trans identities that covers a lot of important subjects. I loved that it dedicated a whole section to asexuality since this identity is rarely talked about. The art style was cute and interesting and I liked that it didn't come across as preachy.

The only thing I didn't like were the blue/green sections. They felt somewhat disconnected from the rest and the book would have done just as well without them.
I thought the concept was great and I would much prefer two or three shorter books than this one. It's very, very wordy and I get that. It's a complicated discussion. 30 pages in I was overwhelmed with information and I doubt patrons would continue through it considering how dense it is.
We need so many more books like this one. It was so important, at the same time simple and educative, everyone can learn so much just by reading it. It can be for people who don't know a thing about queer stuff, or people who want to know more because it concerns them. I think every single person should read this book, everything is explained clearly with nice graphics to go along.
An easy-to-follow, inclusive guide into a wide range of LGBTQ+ topics. I particularly enjoyed the adorable art and colouring that helped support the different concepts and ideas explored. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone wanting to learn more about the topic, and/or want to appreciate some cute art.
A very informative and easy to understand graphic novel on a number of LGBTQ subjects. It would make a good addition to the high school library that I work at once it's published.
A Quick & Easy Guide to Queer & Trans Identities by Mady G is a rather clever way to educate those who may be unsure about where they fit themselves in terms of how they feel as well as to educate those around the people of the LGBTQ community. Using snails and a varying array of illustrations from people to a fun little creature called a sproutling to take readers along on a journey to discover more about the people with these identities, this book is chalk full of fun and informative scenes that I think this world really needs..

I would definitely gear this book more toward older kids and adults simply because I don’t see very young children fully understanding everything that this book discusses. Even I still find some of it confusing at times, particularly that which discusses what it means to be asexual, a topic with a wide variety of identifications that can sometimes vary greatly from person to person. Even so, I truly believe that this topic is one that everyone should be exposed to no matter how old.

This book was clever, informative, and easy to read. It broached a variety of subjects regarding the LGBTQ community and offered not only information, but support to those who may relate to some of the situations and feelings expressed throughout the course of the book. I was really pleased with how the entire thing was presented and handled and I even learned a few new things along the way, which is always a great thing to experience. All in all, this book is definitely one to be pleased with and I’m really glad I had the opportunity to read it.

I was provided a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.